PDA

View Full Version : Are you vegan?

the.dark.lord
June 18th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Me? Yep.

LaRoza
June 18th, 2007, 02:24 PM
100% Vegan, interesting, I was going to post a poll also, but with a wider range of choices.

prizrak
June 18th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Carnivore all the way. BTW poll title and thread title are somewhat misleading. Vegans don't use anything made out of animals. So no leather clothes or shoes (sick people). They also wouldn't touch eggs, fish or dairy while vegetarians will eat at least one of those.

LaRoza
June 18th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Carnivore all the way. BTW poll title and thread title are somewhat misleading. Vegans don't use anything made out of animals. So no leather clothes or shoes (sick people). They also wouldn't touch eggs, fish or dairy while vegetarians will eat at least one of those.

I describe myself (vegan) as someone who "doesn't eat pieces of dead animals, or thing that are squirted out of them or anything that comes out their rear". Obviously, I don't eat live animals, or whole dead animals, but they get the idea.
From Wikipedia:

dietsDiet Name Meat Eggs Dairy Honey
Lacto-ovo vegetarianism No Yes Yes Yes
Lacto vegetarianism No No Yes Yes
Ovo vegetarianism No Yes No Yes
Veganism No No No Sometimes[2]

Slightly altered to look like a table.

As a vegan, I am healthier than almost anyone I know.

lamalex
June 18th, 2007, 02:28 PM
I was a vegetarian for about 7 years, stopped a few months ago, I still avoid red meat for health reasons and if I'm going to eat chicken I only eat free range chicken.

the.dark.lord
June 18th, 2007, 02:29 PM

Ah, then the poll title should be "vegan", Is there any way I can edit it?

Lord Illidan
June 18th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Omnivore. I eat both meat, and use animal products, and I also like vegs too.

Nikron
June 18th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Been vegetarian all my life, never eaten meat.

Lord Illidan
June 18th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Why do people become vegan or vegetarian? Is there a reason?

forrestcupp
June 18th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Taken from another thread:

i would eat a baby kitten if mark told me to :popcorn:

azkehmm
June 18th, 2007, 03:08 PM
If it tastes good, I eat it. I don't give a damn if it's from an animal, plant, fish or insect. I do, however, respect the argument, that vegetables require only 10% of the resources compared to meat, but I just love steak too much to convert myself :)

jgrabham
June 18th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Carnivore all the way.

I think you mean omnivore, otherwise you don't eat anything that isn't meat!

black_magician
June 18th, 2007, 05:58 PM
a good T-bone steak is one of the better things in this universe.

jgrabham
June 18th, 2007, 06:00 PM
a good T-bone steak is one of the better things in this universe.

True, hard to get though, apparently impossible in the US.

Warpnow
June 18th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Been a vegetarian for 6 years or so. I eat dairy, eggs and honey, though.

dustigroove
June 18th, 2007, 06:08 PM
I think "What's a vegan, and are they edible?" should be added to the list of poll options.

That's just me of course... ;)

qamelian
June 18th, 2007, 06:12 PM
I've never been a vegan, but I spent 23 years as a vegetarian. It was the stupidest 23 years of my life. I dealt with one health issue after another. When I decided to give in to evolution and start eating meat, it took a while for my body to adjust to the change in diet, but literally all of the health issues that had plagued me while a vegetarian disappeared within a matter of 4 or 5 months. No one will ever convince me that either of the veg lifestyles or any of their variants are truly healthy.

axel-vpk
June 18th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Lacto-Ovo-Vegetarian.

Mostly for environmental reasons.

Been that way for 5 years that summer, with some exceptions during my time in the army. (There are times when you actually eat whatever you can get, meat or not).

LaRoza
June 18th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Why do people become vegan or vegetarian? Is there a reason?

1. Health
2. Moral Reasons
3. Experimentation
4. Raised that way

For me, Health and Moral, in that order.

PartisanEntity
June 18th, 2007, 06:25 PM
No thank you :) I am an omnivore by design so I will not pretend to be a carnivore or herbivore.

LaRoza
June 18th, 2007, 06:26 PM
I've never been a vegan, but I spent 23 years as a vegetarian. It was the stupidest 23 years of my life. I dealt with one health issue after another. When I decided to give in to evolution and start eating meat, it took a while for my body to adjust to the change in diet, but literally all of the health issues that had plagued me while a vegetarian disappeared within a matter of 4 or 5 months. No one will ever convince me that either of the veg lifestyles or any of their variants are truly healthy.

If you say no one will ever convince you, you say the truth. Actually, I used to make fun of vegans before I became one, but when I did become one, all my health problems disappeared within a few weeks. No one will ever convince me that eating meat when you have other choices is truly healthy.

Ripfox
June 18th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Ah no. I live in Nebraska...we have the best steaks available to man :)

Ultra Magnus
June 18th, 2007, 07:08 PM
I can't remember the last time I had even 1 of my 5 a day fruit and veg!

Does anyone here rely on sungazing as their sole source of nutrition?

firedancer
June 18th, 2007, 07:24 PM
well i've been a vegetarian for years when i was younger , because i could'nt stand the meat nor fish , eggs ,just out of myself , i didn't know there was a 'term' for it

when i moved to another country i had problems with getting fresh vegs and beans ,peas

so i started eating little meat and fish , eggs

but then i had some spiritual period when i went on an extreem diet no meat,fish,dairy not even sugar , .....felt clean

but my bloodtype is O , so then you need alot more protein , i still avoid meat , but eat it if there's no way out ., can't stand the blood though
when i was young i had problems with food at parties, wasn't able to eat anything , i wuld still take a piece of chicken and then look for a dog to give it to

prizrak
June 18th, 2007, 07:25 PM
I think you mean omnivore, otherwise you don't eat anything that isn't meat!

I didn't make a mistake. I infact only eat meat.

forrestcupp
June 18th, 2007, 07:31 PM
How do you pronounce vegan? Is it vee-gan or vay-gan?

prizrak
June 18th, 2007, 07:32 PM
If you say no one will ever convince you, you say the truth. Actually, I used to make fun of vegans before I became one, but when I did become one, all my health problems disappeared within a few weeks. No one will ever convince me that eating meat when you have other choices is truly healthy.

You are both wrong actually. Vegans are wrong from an evolutionary standpoint, we are omnivores and need both animal and plant nutrients. Vegetarians, those that will eat eggs and such, but not meat are not really going against nature so it's just a different diet.

However, the main thing in any kind of diet choice is to make sure that you get all the required nutrients. You can be a very happy vegan if you design your diet in a way that it will give you a full supply of necessary nutrients. Say beans to satisfy protein needs and so on.

Also as mentioned before different blood types requires different diets. I for one don't need any carbs at all, I do need proteins and vitamins though. Being vegetarian/vegan will instantly make you healthier if you are not getting your fill of nutrients.

How do you pronounce vegan? Is it vee-gan or vay-gan?
For me it's the former

jgrabham
June 18th, 2007, 07:34 PM

OK, and for those of us who don't have a high risk of getting scurvy (and going to the toilet at irregular times)... :]

Warpnow
June 18th, 2007, 07:35 PM

Not true. You'd be dead.

The human body cannot sustain itself solely on protein.

LaRoza
June 18th, 2007, 07:49 PM
You are both wrong actually. Vegans are wrong from an evolutionary standpoint, we are omnivores and need both animal and plant nutrients. Vegetarians, those that will eat eggs and such, but not meat are not really going against nature so it's just a different diet.

However, the main thing in any kind of diet choice is to make sure that you get all the required nutrients. You can be a very happy vegan if you design your diet in a way that it will give you a full supply of necessary nutrients. Say beans to satisfy protein needs and so on.

Also as mentioned before different blood types requires different diets. I for one don't need any carbs at all, I do need proteins and vitamins though. Being vegetarian/vegan will instantly make you healthier if you are not getting your fill of nutrients.

For me it's the former

Are you saying I am not healthier? I know I am, I had major health problems.

While humans can digest a wide variety of substances, like many animals, that doesn't mean we have to. No matter what people say, humans are not meant to eat cows. Grasshoppers, shellfish, and other such animals are the animal food sources that humans are designed for.

I do not eat soy, or beans, (or meat, but that was a given). I have no protein deficiency, my hair, which is about a hand away from my belt, grows at a rate of about 3 inches in three months, so I am getting more than enough "protein". Actually, humans only need the essential amino acids, eight in all, and they are all found in non-animal sources. Human protein is made of 22 amino acids, which are synthesised from others, eating animal protein just makes more work for the digestive tract, as it has to untangle foreign protein strands which are often chemically altered with heat.

Getting all the required nutrients is VERY IMPORTANT, but what is exactly required? All the countries have different specs.

bapoumba
June 18th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Sorry, there is a previous thread.
Polls are lost upon merging. To keep this poll visible, I'm simply closing here. Please continue there:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=324296