PDA

View Full Version : Freespace for Linux

Ultra Magnus
June 18th, 2007, 01:07 PM
I know this is probably very old news - but I'm new to Linux. I'm not a big gamer but I love Freespace and I just found out that there is a Linux port! - I am overjoyed.

Freespace (despite its age) is still the best space combat game I have ever played - anyone else love Freespace?

Jim

beefcurry
June 18th, 2007, 01:10 PM
should really be in the Gaming and Leisure forum http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=93 .

But no, never tried Freespace. But will now :)

Ultra Magnus
June 18th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Sorry - how do I move it to the gaming forum?

Tomosaur
June 18th, 2007, 01:29 PM
A mod will probably move it themselves in a little while.

As for Freespace, I've never played it. I've played Freelancer though, is Freespace in any way related to that?

Ultra Magnus
June 18th, 2007, 01:52 PM
I don't think so, freespace 2 is well older - I think 98 or something - (The graphics were really good for its time though) - The storyline is something along the lines of babylon 5 -

You have people from earth (terrans), an initially hostile but soon to be friendly alien race (vasudans), an ancient race of evil aliens (shivans) and a mysterious ancient alien race (er...called the ancients) - One of the best things about the game is the plot - I won't give it away because for whoever plays it the ending (of both 1 and 2) is brilliant!

prizrak
June 18th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Freespace was cool but the best space combat game is the Wing Commander series, closely followed by StarLancer (made by same people actually).

Ultra Magnus
June 18th, 2007, 02:13 PM
I've only ever played wing commander 1 - and that was way back (SNES?) but I recall thinking that it was pretty awesome - Starlancer was alright but some missions were *very* hard - I don't think I actually completed it, the mulitplayer mode was cool though!

One of the awesome thing about freespace was that you could make your own levels and download other peoples off the internet.

Tundro Walker
June 18th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Didn't really like Wing Commander. Neither did I like the Strike Commander (which was a jet fighter version of Wing Commander). Freespace however...awesome. Freespace 2 was really cool with the epic space battles. Took some ingenuity to coordinate your fighters to defend a pack of capital ships from a two-pronged assault. Only issue with the game was the assault on that...well...don't want to give it away. It was a real pain trying to take things out. But the grand scale of the capital ships and all, and you feeling like a gnat amongst them (even though you could take them out!) was really cool!

prizrak
June 18th, 2007, 02:21 PM
I've only ever played wing commander 1 - and that was way back (SNES?) but I recall thinking that it was pretty awesome - Starlancer was alright but some missions were *very* hard - I don't think I actually completed it, the mulitplayer mode was cool though!

One of the awesome thing about freespace was that you could make your own levels and download other peoples off the internet.

You should see if you can find the rest of the series they were all pretty cool. I did beat Starlancer but it wasn't easy by any means. My favorite mission was of course the one where you sneak into the enemy formation on the stolen Kamov bombers ;)

Didn't really like Wing Commander. Neither did I like the Strike Commander (which was a jet fighter version of Wing Commander). Freespace however...awesome. Freespace 2 was really cool with the epic space battles. Took some ingenuity to coordinate your fighters to defend a pack of capital ships from a two-pronged assault. Only issue with the game was the assault on that...well...don't want to give it away. It was a real pain trying to take things out. But the grand scale of the capital ships and all, and you feeling like a gnat amongst them (even though you could take them out!) was really cool!
That's somewhat surprising, I played Freespace 2 I think it was and liked it. The games are very similar IMO so it's hard for me to imagine that you could like one and not the other. I think I know what mission you are talking about, I don't think I ever managed to beat that :(

Ultra Magnus
June 18th, 2007, 03:19 PM
I've found this thing called the Freespace 2 source code project where they've updated the graphics and stuff - i think its only for windows but i found a video on youtube. (http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-5814383237031144067&q=freespace&total=235&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=6)
Ah the nostalgia...

argie
June 18th, 2007, 04:16 PM
I played Freespace 2 and I loved it. Best of all was the licence, if you bought the game, backing up and giving copies to friends was allowed. That's just awesome.

Incidentally, if you have a Unichrome and the game crashes saying there's not enough memory for textures, go switch the max texture size in the code to 512... instead of 1024... The edges of the game will be torn off in the menus but the game itself works fine.

EDIT: Whoops, last bit for Freespace 2 SCP.