PDA

View Full Version : IBM Thinkpad 600E info/mods/Compatability

ironslave
June 18th, 2007, 08:44 AM
hey i just bought a thinkpad 600 of fleebay for 90$. theres some q's i have about it.

1st has anyone gotten ubuntu running on these with good succes and which version would be best, if not ubuntu thant what would be better?

2nt off is info on it, ive dug up alot, and ive always wanted to tinker with an ibm laptop, for some reason ive always been attracted to them. what to current/former owners have for tips to me other than somebodys battery exploded to smitherines...

3rd MoDS i understand that these tops are able to be upgraded to almost 1Ghz and the FBS can be run at 100Mhz :o which enables me well better speed. the ohter thing i wonder about is weather or not i could stack the video memory? 2.5 Megs is a small amount, why even bother with AGP at that point. has anyone got some info on that and maybe some PIII processor sources?

mips
June 18th, 2007, 03:30 PM
1. Many people here have Ubuntu running on the legendry Thinpad 600/600E. Try the latest version, Feisty. My favourite is still Dapper though.

2. I recall a few people having sound & ethernet(pcmcia card) issues but it was fixable back then. Just search here for Thinkpad 600 or just 600 and you will find plenty of information.

3. Sorry can't help there.

dtopken
August 12th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Hello I am a new Ubuntu user and have easily installed. on an old Compaq desktop and now would like to install on my ThinkPad 600. I boot from Cd and get msg that BIOS version is too old

Can u help me?
Thanks

jgrabham
August 12th, 2007, 03:41 PM
I have a 600 - no E, xubuntu alternate CD - live cds dont work.

Oh and sound and graphics are just terrible

jgrabham
August 12th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Hello I am a new Ubuntu user and have easily installed. on an old Compaq desktop and now would like to install on my ThinkPad 600. I boot from Cd and get msg that BIOS version is too old

Can u help me?
Thanks

Then what happens? I ignore it and it continues by itself!

josephcherng
December 4th, 2007, 01:53 AM
i'm a proud owner of the thinkpad 600e, probably the best laptop i've ever owned.

i'm surprised that FLUXUBUNTU doesn't get much attention.

I've been running it for about 2 months now and it's perfect. FAST and BEAUTIFUL.

be sure to google it.

Only annoyance is the pmount that's needed for mounting USB drives. other than that, wireless works, SOUND DOESN'T but i haven't tried everything.

my only advice when using fluxubuntu is replacing the default browser with firefox, although it's a bigger browser, it runs much more smoothly and allows installation of plugins through the GUI.

-grubby
December 4th, 2007, 01:59 AM
i'm a proud owner of the thinkpad 600e, probably the best laptop i've ever owned.

i'm surprised that FLUXUBUNTU doesn't get much attention.

I've been running it for about 2 months now and it's perfect. FAST and BEAUTIFUL.

be sure to google it.

Only annoyance is the pmount that's needed for mounting USB drives. other than that, wireless works, SOUND DOESN'T but i haven't tried everything.

my only advice when using fluxubuntu is replacing the default browser with firefox, although it's a bigger browser, it runs much more smoothly and allows installation of plugins through the GUI.

it's actually Fluxbuntu (no U):)

Whiffle
December 4th, 2007, 02:03 AM
this far into a thread and nobody has mentioned:

www.thinkwiki.org

jimrz
December 4th, 2007, 05:09 AM
600x - PIII 500 / 384Mb ram ... running gutsy just fine, here

josephcherng
December 6th, 2007, 05:27 AM
thinkwiki is a great resource for any thinkpad owner...i don't think they have a thread yet for FLUXBUNTU yet (thanks for the correction) so maybe i'll do it during the christmas break.

UPDATE ON SOUND

sound is now working. note that i'm using the newest version of fluxbuntu (based on the ubuntu 7.10 kernal) and the thinkpad 600E

Here's How:

1. Follow steps on thinkwiki for the 600E
2. reboot and load into bios and reINITIALIZE the bios
4. restart

Some people have gotten sound to work at this point but it didn't work for me here. i had to perform an extra step. It turns out that the sound was conflicting with another application, i'm not sure what.

4. i followed the steps from this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449
scroll down to where it says "Getting more than one application to use the soundcard at the same time"

5. reboot and reINITIALIZE bios
6. enjoy sound

i hope that works for the rest of you. i'll try it again on my other thinkpad someday.