PDA

View Full Version : Things I hate about Linux: the blah blah blah edition

blah blah blah
June 18th, 2007, 03:04 AM
I hate it when people use the Unix philosophy as a reason for something. It's so stupid. Does anybody agree?

forrestcupp
June 18th, 2007, 03:06 AM
What are you talking about?

blah blah blah
June 18th, 2007, 03:14 AM
What are you talking about?

Like in the vim vs emacs debate when vim advocates claim vim is better then emacs because it follows the Unix philosophy of "do one thing, do it well".

init1
June 18th, 2007, 03:37 AM
"Do one thing, do it well"? So, that means that vim would be saying that there only needs to be one editor and it should be good? Or, does it mean that each program should only have one purpose that it does well, instead of gparted which does many things well?

ryanVickers
June 18th, 2007, 03:47 AM
Windows is good at failing to do lots of stuff poorly :p

Also, see my "things I hat about windows poll" below! :)

steveneddy
June 18th, 2007, 03:49 AM
What is the purpose of this thread. Need to vent or something?

ryanVickers
June 18th, 2007, 03:54 AM
Yes, as a matter of fact! :p

What really bugs me is how some people will start these polls about how they like certain things in windows and how linux doesn't do them, but the truth is sooo much the opposite on them all! Linux usually does all of the things listed way better, or if they are a problem doesn't (:)) and windows is the one with all the unfathomable difficulties... :p

blah blah blah
June 18th, 2007, 04:18 AM
"Do one thing, do it well"? So, that means that vim would be saying that there only needs to be one editor and it should be good? Or, does it mean that each program should only have one purpose that it does well, instead of gparted which does many things well?

it means that a program should only have one purpose that it does well.

ryanVickers
June 18th, 2007, 04:23 AM
Yeah, I don't get that - never heard of it until now either! Sounds like a microsoft thing, except their "one thing" is making money :p
Of course that couldn't be their slogan, it's already "this may take several minutes" :lolflag:

blah blah blah
June 18th, 2007, 04:53 AM
I disagree. RTFM, you stupid n00b++.
You'll never become an elitist Linux zealot if you ask such noobish questions.
And you should also mention that UNIX IS NOT GNU :!:, since there are so many noobs who NEED to know that :!:

zomglol, I'm really so 1338 and I know everything about everything. I also like to brag about it.

*goes back to finish encoding a BluRay disk to x264, while laughing at nOObs*

keke ke kekeke ^_^
:(

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________________

:(
q_q more noob

Tundro Walker
June 18th, 2007, 08:52 AM
You know what I hate about Linux? The way it does my dishes. I mean, there shouldn't be any spots on them when they're done. But there are! What's the deal? Windows never left spots on my dishes when it did.

Honestly, they need to make Linux better at doing dishes, then it'll be ready for the desktop, and more folks will migrate. (If they could code it to walk my dog, too, then it'd really have a killer app to displace Windows!)

~~~~~~~~~~~

Side Note... Ubuntu's attracted "hax0rs" & script kiddies! Awesome! Now we'll get some "street cred"! ;)

raul_
June 18th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Somebody should tell these guys that posts in the forum don't count :mrgreen:

ironslave
June 18th, 2007, 09:07 AM
/|\
.|
.|
Wtf?

Tundro Walker
June 18th, 2007, 09:42 AM
And another they need to fix in Linux, why won't it cry with me when I'm watching a chick flick!? I thought Linux was supposed to be user-friendly? But it's completely disregarding my feelings! Sometimes it's just so cold and distant. I feel as if it's not even the same OS I fell in love with sometimes. They should fix that!

23meg
June 18th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Linux really needs a better subwoofer if it is to become mainstream.

KiwiNZ
June 18th, 2007, 10:38 AM
I came , I saw , I yawned ....Click