PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Vs Kubuntu (Vote for your favorite)

maher_79
June 18th, 2007, 02:26 AM
Hi all,

I have been using Ubuntu for few months now and wanted to give Kubuntu a try on my IBM laptop. Well, i don't think i will keep it. Ubuntu is for sure replacing it!

So, out of curiosity, how many of you favor Ubuntu on Kubuntu. Vote for your favorite, would be interesting to see what people like!

steveneddy
June 18th, 2007, 02:28 AM
You should have made this a poll.

Ubuntu

justin whitaker
June 18th, 2007, 02:54 AM
I had been using Ubuntu, but to be honest, GNOME leaves me cold. KDE is really getting sweet....so Kubuntu it is.

maher_79
June 18th, 2007, 03:44 AM
I had been using Ubuntu, but to be honest, GNOME leaves me cold. KDE is really getting sweet....so Kubuntu it is.

What is it about Kubuntu that makes it "sweet"? - I didn't see that!

Interesting votes though - we are at 50-50 now :-k

VOTE VOTE PEOPLE - LETS SEE WHO WINS!

steveneddy
June 18th, 2007, 03:55 AM
You should have made this a poll.

Ubuntu

Thank you.

PhatStreet
June 18th, 2007, 03:57 AM
Kubuntu's app suite and overall UI is much nicer, but it's horribly buggy. I'm currently using KDE on Arch, although perhaps I'll come back in the future.

maher_79
June 18th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Kubuntu's app suite and overall UI is much nicer, but it's horribly buggy. I'm currently using KDE on Arch, although perhaps I'll come back in the future.

I agree it has a better GUI BUT it looks a lot like windows! Don't you agree?

maher_79
June 20th, 2007, 02:55 AM
Any one else?!

angryfirelord
June 20th, 2007, 02:57 AM
I prefer either. I switch when I feel like it.

Shouldn't this topic go in the Community Cafe?

Bachstelze
June 20th, 2007, 03:01 AM
Shouldn't this topic go in the Community Cafe?

Done ;)

To answer the question and though I'm a die-hard KDE fan, I voted Ubuntu, because I don't like all the bloat that comes with Kubuntu and when I need Ubuntu, I prefer to install a command-line system and then install a vanilla KDE.

jayson.rowe
June 20th, 2007, 03:46 AM
I used to be a die-hard KDE fan, and when I got back into Linux recently, I first installed Ubuntu, 'cause that's what I'd heard so much about - found out about Kubuntu, loaded it, and went back to Ubuntu - to me, KDE felt clumsly, kinda slow w/o really being slow - apps would sometimes take a long time to load for no apparent reason, occasionally, I would click an icon, the pointer notification icon would start doing it's little up and down dance, and then dissapear, click the icon again, and the app would then decide to open - just got to be too much for me - so I re-installed Ubuntu - clean, and I'm much happier now. Once I've gotten into Gnome and gotten used to it, I think I'm really starting to like it better.

maher_79
June 24th, 2007, 01:02 AM
%59 Ubuntu Vs %41 Kubuntu - I thought Ubuntu will have a lot more votes than this!!!

GrueTamer
June 24th, 2007, 01:08 AM
I prefer regular Ubuntu out of the two, but I don't use GNOME or KDE, so it's not quite my kind of poll. But oh well, Ubuntu wins over Kubuntu in my book.

Suzan
June 24th, 2007, 01:13 AM
Ubuntu!!! I like Gnome much more than KDE. But that's only my favour of cause.

Will this be another flamewar?

HotShotDJ
June 24th, 2007, 01:25 AM
VOTE VOTE PEOPLE - LETS SEE WHO WINS!Why does one have to "win?" Whats the point? I use KDE. Others like Gnome. And thats fine with me. :)

reyfer
June 24th, 2007, 02:02 AM
Why does one have to "win?" Whats the point? I use KDE. Others like Gnome. And thats fine with me. :)

There must be a winner, because some people feel they are using the wrong DE unless others validate their choice. Me? I use what I feel comfortable with, whether it's popular or not. And I use Kubuntu ;)

init1
June 24th, 2007, 02:38 AM
I agree. I am using Knoppix now and the app list is impressive, but some of the features either behave unusually or are buggy.

init1
June 24th, 2007, 02:40 AM
I prefer regular Ubuntu out of the two, but I don't use GNOME or KDE, so it's not quite my kind of poll. But oh well, Ubuntu wins over Kubuntu in my book.
What do you use, then? Fluxbox? Icewm?

Happy_Man
June 24th, 2007, 03:57 AM
There must be a winner, because some people feel they are using the wrong DE unless others validate their choice. Me? I use what I feel comfortable with, whether it's popular or not. And I use Kubuntu ;)
+1. And I voted Kubuntu. For some reason, GNOME makes me uncomfortable inside now.

SoulinEther
June 24th, 2007, 04:08 AM
Xubuntu.

Why do you discredit Xubuntu? :S

maher_79
June 30th, 2007, 05:35 AM
Xubuntu.

Why do you discredit Xubuntu? :S

I'm not - but it is just a poll for Ubuntu and Kubuntu - as these are the two i've used.

zodmaner
June 30th, 2007, 05:47 AM
I'm currently use Ubuntu.

I would love to use Kubuntu, but stability problems I had with it put me off. For example, Amarok refuses to play my .FLAC music files and crash every time it tries to automatically download mp3 codec. I never had any of these issues under Gnome.

Which is a shame, really, because I really like KDE and its applications (K3b, Amarok, etc.). But until I figure out how to make KDE do everything I need (and make Amarok stop crashing), I'm sticking with my Gnome desktop for now.

wolfen69
June 30th, 2007, 06:15 AM
amarok plays great in gnome

sparky64
July 1st, 2007, 01:35 PM
I use kde.
Have used it since i first used linux (suse 9.0 professional)
I recently tried ubuntu fiesty and found configuring screen res a nightmare (could never get my res to stay at 1280*1024 it always reset to default (plus always having to use console to edit xorg(not to user friendly for newbies) I also had to use konsole to add extra drives (easy gui in kde)
I also like konqueror Just love the split screen.

diskotek
July 1st, 2007, 03:19 PM
i didnt knew if there were this much kubuntu users..

illu45
July 1st, 2007, 03:31 PM
Xubuntu here as well. I found it to be slightly quicker than Gnome, without losing any of the functionality, so I stuck to it. I prefer Gnome to KDE, though. KDE just feels bloated and sluggish to me.

tpg
July 1st, 2007, 05:16 PM
I prefer KDE over Gnome, so Kubuntu gets my vote.

red_team316
July 2nd, 2007, 03:22 AM
Kubuntu.

Really, it's about what the end user likes, simplicity or complexity. I prefer KDE over GNOME for the fact that it is much more customizable, and I'd bet that it's the answer that most KDE users will give you. KDE3 has its share of bugs, but then again anyone running an ubuntu build newer than Dapper is unstable :P I don't mind the occasional bug. KDE4 is supposed to include more eye candy so hopefully that will bridge some of the differences between the two.

glangollor
July 2nd, 2007, 11:07 PM
I always use icewm at work, because is soooo fast up and usable.... At home Kububtu... KDE is very flexible, and I don't like GNOMEs dialoges.
All people I know in real life prefer KDE.... Is that local occurence??

Damanther
July 3rd, 2007, 07:01 PM
I vote KDE desktop at least. I have to be honest and say I am using a Ubuntu install that I have added the kde desktop too. I don't know how that might be different from an actual Kubuntu install.

Damanther

notwen
July 3rd, 2007, 07:26 PM
+1 Ubuntu.

patpi
July 8th, 2007, 02:23 PM
i didnt knew if there were this much kubuntu users..
yeah, i'm surprised too. 46.20% (for today) of people using *buntu are not accepting Canonical decision to ship Gnome by default. It is really really huge number. Less people switch from IE to Fx!

andrek
July 8th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Ubuntu for sure, gnome rocks!
(although i'm a debian user, lol)

wersdaluv
July 8th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Wow.

I did not expect that the difference between those who favor Ubuntu over Kubuntu is this small.

What could the reason for this be? hmmmmm...

GeneralZod
July 8th, 2007, 03:19 PM
What an incredibly odd result. It's thoroughly out of whack with the usual polls on these forums (where GNOME is preferred to KDE by a factor of two or so), and it's made even more bizarre by the fact that even many KDE fans claim Ubuntu to be the better distro due to Kubuntu's perceived lack of quality.

What could the reason for this be? hmmmmm...

It's a mystery, alright. The sample size is pretty small, but not too small for this result to be statistically insignificant.

Maybe Ubuntu users are tired of these polls and are staying away ;)

Sunforge
July 8th, 2007, 03:20 PM
I've tried them both and Gnome works better for me. KDE is just too..... KDE.

awakatanka
July 8th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Maybe Ubuntu users are tired of these polls and are staying away ;)

Our they finally tried kubuntu for real and where surprised that its better then they ever thought. :lolflag:.

g4ry.l33
July 8th, 2007, 09:27 PM
I tried Kubuntu and I liked it. It is a nice and easy you use GUI, but I had trouble installing Compiz so I did a clean install with Ubuntu with just Gnome and added some themes and Compiz and I love it! It's all that I was looking for. I think this is one time where "Less is More".

Darkcloud
July 8th, 2007, 10:25 PM
I started learning more about Linux and made the choice of Ubuntu because of the fact Dell is preinstalling as a technician by trade, I felt the need to learn and become familiar with supporting Ubuntu and all its features. I have a long way to go yet but I feel excited about it. I have experienced some of the other distros kubuntu, xubuntu fedora 7, redhat and I have to say that Ubuntu or Xubuntu is my choice for myself and a recomendation to the end users who want to try Linux, I am hooked :biggrin:

forrestcupp
July 8th, 2007, 11:37 PM
I switched from Ubuntu to Kubuntu, and I like it a lot. I'm really liking KDE and I'm getting geared up for KDE4.

The only thing I don't like about Kubuntu is that it seems like they don't put as much into it. Why doesn't Kubuntu have the Restricted Drivers Manager? Why doesn't Kubuntu have the feature where if you want to play a media file that you don't have the codecs for, it automatically installs them for you. I know Amarok tries to do that, but I've never gotten it to work.

And Gnome has the GUI for managing sessions and startup programs, but in KDE, you have to do all of that manually.

It just seems like Kubuntu doesn't get as many of the new usability features that Ubuntu does. I know how to work through those things, but a new user wouldn't know how.

All of that aside, I like Kubuntu and KDE better. Just my preference.

Tmi
July 9th, 2007, 12:16 AM
Been using both, but lately only Gnome.

I'm not the tinkering and eye-candy type of guy, so to me a pretty much standard gnome look together with it's it-just-works feel does the trick.

I can't stay away from KDE apps though, use amarok, kopete and kaffeine daily.

LuisAugusto
July 10th, 2007, 06:43 AM
I love KDE, but Ubuntu is a better distro than kubuntu, even when most of the apps aren't at the level of Kubuntu apps.

See you.

bimmerd00d
July 11th, 2007, 06:16 PM
i like KDE, it's pretty. Conky doesn't work properly in KDE and that's a dealbreaker for me. I've grown to love Gnome over the past few months, and i'm set for now. Until KDE and conky play nice, i'll stick around the Ubuntu area. Seems like ubuntuforums blow away kubuntuforums for the sheer amount of content.

amoore
July 11th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Xubutnu +1 Ubuntu+1

but Kde4 might make me chage my mind.........

stepan2
July 11th, 2007, 06:20 PM
KDE for life! Ya i prefer kubuntu because it hs kde . Kubuntu isnt as beautiful because they didnt do a great job on making it look cool. I am making my own distro and it will look super ubber!

LaRoza
July 11th, 2007, 06:30 PM
I like Gnome, and am ok with KDE.

Still,

sudo aptitude install kde-core

lets you have it both ways.

Sunflower1970
July 11th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Right now I'm using both Gnome and XFCE. Gnome is my preference, and XFCE is a close second. I've been playing around with Kubuntu in a virtual machine on Gutsy, and it's growing on me...Some day I might switch over, but for now I'll stick with Gnome/XFCE.

That's what I love about Linux. The choice. If one day I want to use a different DE, I just log in to it instead. :D

kingof1981
July 11th, 2007, 06:40 PM
i've seen ubuntu and kubuntu... and look what i have now... Ubuntuthis is my favourite...:lolflag:

Canis familiaris
July 11th, 2007, 06:42 PM
++ for Ubuntu. However it is easy to install Kubuntu in Ubuntu and KDE has great interface and most of the time I spend in KDE though at time of writing I'm in GNOME.
I should have really voted for Kubuntu but since my experience of installing KDE in Ubuntu has been much more sweeter than installing GNOME in Kubuntu so I've voted for Ubuntu
:guitar:

DigitalDuality
July 11th, 2007, 06:43 PM
d

Canis familiaris
July 11th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Been using both, but lately only Gnome.

I'm not the tinkering and eye-candy type of guy, so to me a pretty much standard gnome look together with it's it-just-works feel does the trick.

I can't stay away from KDE apps though, use amarok, kopete and kaffeine daily.
Seconded

jgrabham
July 11th, 2007, 06:52 PM
eww, KDE - mingin - just my opinion though :]

EDIT - Although am using Amarok at the moment (well it is the best media player there is)

limac
December 30th, 2007, 06:21 AM
i have been using kubutnu for a long time now and i am getting more than my expectations. well execpt there are a couple of glitches that need some repairments and that's basically it! :D

hhhhhx
December 30th, 2007, 09:09 AM
i prefer ubuntu

Linuxratty
December 30th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Why does one have to "win?" Whats the point? I use KDE. Others like Gnome. And thats fine with me. :)

Dunno...Just use what you like...I like KDE,so of course my choice is Klikit Linux,which is based off Kubuntu ...

AndyCooll
December 30th, 2007, 10:27 PM
I'm surprised this isn't in the "Recurring Discussions" section. :lolflag:

:cool:

Linuxratty
December 30th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Dunno...Just use what you like...I like KDE,so of course my choice is Klikit Linux,which is based off Kubuntu ...
I alwso was dissipointed with the download options in Kubuntu ...And Fire Fox is not installed by default either..Tisk,tisk.[-X

snakeeyes
December 30th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Kubuntu is awesome!

-grubby
December 30th, 2007, 10:30 PM
I alwso was dissipointed with the download options in Kubuntu ...And Fire Fox is not installed by default either..Tisk,tisk.[-X

well you have to remember that kubuntu focuses on KDE which is built from QT and firefox is a GTK app. Besides, I think Konqueror is nice

(((X)))
December 31st, 2007, 12:15 AM
I don't use kbuntu Due to hardware incompatibility.(special keys on keyboard and a printer).
I use both, KDE(not kubuntu) and Gnome(ubuntu) on my desktops, more fun!

jken146
December 31st, 2007, 12:16 AM
Xubuntu

g2g591
December 31st, 2007, 02:32 AM
Kubuntu, (if you use kde, try katapult, its awsome, you can even control amarok with it) I havn't experianced any stability issues or anything. I'm not too opposed to Gnome though, but I like KDE with it's "it just works" feel. I plan on having both Gnome and KDE 4 installed once Hardy is released.

thx11381974
December 31st, 2007, 04:14 AM
I never thought it would be this close.

kamaboko
December 31st, 2007, 04:23 AM
I got my first taste of KDE today using Mepis. God, there's so much stuff on it. Gnome just seems so much lighter. The jury is still out for me though with KDE. I need to give it a few more days before making judgment.

So maybe you can suggest other KDE distros I should look in to.

Happy_Man
January 2nd, 2008, 11:05 PM
I got my first taste of KDE today using Mepis. God, there's so much stuff on it. Gnome just seems so much lighter. The jury is still out for me though with KDE. I need to give it a few more days before making judgment.

So maybe you can suggest other KDE distros I should look in to.

Try PCLinuxOS. They've got a really good implementation of KDE. Or perhaps KDEmod on Arch. That one's really awesome.