PDA

View Full Version : How many independent coffee shops are in your area?...Delocate them!

RAV TUX
June 18th, 2007, 12:55 AM
For USA and UK residents you can use the Delocator:
http://www.delocator.net/index.php

I have about 18 in my area....

how many near you?

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/2197/thcatfromaliciainwonderxl4.gif

blah blah blah
June 18th, 2007, 01:06 AM
Why would it matter if they're independent or not?

bionnaki
June 18th, 2007, 02:46 AM
124 in my area

justin whitaker
June 18th, 2007, 03:07 AM
Well, that script is inaccurate.

For my area, it lists 75 "independent" coffee shops....but most of them are not coffee shops in the pop down to the "Daily Grind" and get a get a cup o' joe.

Included are the Cafe at Harvest, which is a few seats inside the local mega-supermarket that has a faux health food store in it to compete with Whole Foods down the street, and they serve the same corporate coffee as everyone else. . A bunch of the North End cafes are included, but while they are not serving Starbucks, they sever Melita or Lavazza only...still corporate coffee if you ask me.

Toscanni's, Herrells, JP Licks, and Emack & Bolios are all ice cream shops. You can, technically, get coffee there, but it's not their main business.

1369 Mass Ave is listed twice....although they may have opened up a new location. Diesel Cafe is listed twice, one location. Kookoo cafe is listed 4times, but I know they only have 1 location.

Maybe 50 tops, from Boston to Lexington.

That's not bad, more than I thought existed. :p

BTW: I've been ordering from Intelligenisa in Chi-town...fantastic!

Nekiruhs
June 18th, 2007, 03:22 AM
Whoot! 5 independant coffee houses (out of 5).

RAV TUX
June 18th, 2007, 05:04 AM
Well, that script is inaccurate.

For my area, it lists 75 "independent" coffee shops....but most of them are not coffee shops in the pop down to the "Daily Grind" and get a get a cup o' joe.

Included are the Cafe at Harvest, which is a few seats inside the local mega-supermarket that has a faux health food store in it to compete with Whole Foods down the street, and they serve the same corporate coffee as everyone else. . A bunch of the North End cafes are included, but while they are not serving Starbucks, they sever Melita or Lavazza only...still corporate coffee if you ask me.

Toscanni's, Herrells, JP Licks, and Emack & Bolios are all ice cream shops. You can, technically, get coffee there, but it's not their main business.

1369 Mass Ave is listed twice....although they may have opened up a new location. Diesel Cafe is listed twice, one location. Kookoo cafe is listed 4times, but I know they only have 1 location.

Maybe 50 tops, from Boston to Lexington.

That's not bad, more than I thought existed. :p

BTW: I've been ordering from Intelligenisa in Chi-town...fantastic!

There needs to be a function for users to remove duplicates and inaccurate information

124 in my area

Woot!....be careful of duplicates

Why would it matter if they're independent or not?

To not support the corporate evil empire Str-ucks, and support your local independent coffee shop.

btw the code is open source, I would love to see a mapping system utilized with this

http://img469.imageshack.us/img469/1115/thcatfromaliciainwonderbe5.gif

init1
June 18th, 2007, 02:20 PM
I only have 6.

beercz
June 18th, 2007, 04:32 PM
A big fat zero withing 8km (5 miles) from my house.

Makes my avatar rather apt!

jgrabham
June 18th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Does my kitchen 10 feet away from me count ouve made me want caffene - bad people - must go - coffee!

%hMa@?b<C
June 18th, 2007, 05:02 PM
37 Cafes found within 5 miles

I dont drink coffee, so I really didnt know of any of them.

jgrabham
June 18th, 2007, 05:09 PM
I always go to macdonalds or burger king if I'm in a city and need cafene or need to kill time (usually between a film at the cinema and a hockey game - usually 2/3 hours to kill!)

ThinkBuntu
June 18th, 2007, 05:10 PM
According to the search, I have 71 within 5 miles of my zip. In truth, I only know of four of these off the top of my head, and only go to one (I'm there no fewer than four days a week). Puts Starbucks' swill to shame.

a12ctic
June 18th, 2007, 05:13 PM
124 Cafes found within 5 miles of XXXXX
124 Starbucks stores found within 5 miles of XXXXX

chio
June 18th, 2007, 05:29 PM
How odd. I added a load of local cafés to the UK version of this a few months ago and they're gone.

happy-and-lost
June 18th, 2007, 05:51 PM
None within 15km of Newbury, which is disgusting considering the fact that there are 8 chain coffee shops in the town centre. Why does a small ruralish town with a population of 30,000 need 8 coffee shops? Doesn't surprise me. There are only 5 independently run shops of any description operating in the town centre, even chains are closing down. It's become a "Tesco-town", the Tesco here makes a weekly turnover of £2m (£5m pw during the run up to Xmas last year!) which is sad as it's an affluent area which plays host to the world headquarters of Vodafone.

justin whitaker
June 18th, 2007, 06:58 PM
124 Cafes found within 5 miles of XXXXX
124 Starbucks stores found within 5 miles of XXXXX

Yeah, that's the point. For each Starbuck's location, they show an independent shop nearby. In case, you know, you wanted to vote with your $.

Sunflower1970
June 18th, 2007, 08:58 PM
88 coffee shops within a 20 mile radius of me
2 movie theatres within a 20 mile radius of me (although I know there are at least 4 of 'em)
5 bookstores within a 20 mile radius of me...

:D

blah blah blah
June 18th, 2007, 10:05 PM
To not support the corporate evil empire Str-ucks, and support your local independent coffee shop.

I don't see how they are any more evil.