PDA

View Full Version : Tip for all of those looking for a small Browser and hate Dillo: Seamonkey

raul_
June 18th, 2007, 12:27 AM
This browser is awesome.

As you can see in my sig, i have an 8 year old laptop, and I run Feisty Server + Fluxbox, and it's suprisingly fast....until i opened a Web Browser. I had to use Opera since Kazehakase doesn't work well in Feisty, and Firefox is just....well...ubusable with 128mb of RAM =\

So i searched for some browsers for a while, but Dillo is awful rendering pages, i couldn't build Skipstone because Feisty doesn't have the mozilla headers package anymore, and I stumbled in Seamonkey. It's awesome. It even has a thumbnail of a tab if you put your cursor over it.

At first the looks were a bit terrible, but I found some themes, and now it looks pretty much like Firefox with Crystal theme (i'm actually using Mostly Crystal theme). I attached a screenshot so you can see what i'm talking about.

Just so you can see the difference, with pidgin running, and my file manager running, my memory usage is about 30%. When i started Opera, it went to something like 70%. With Seamonkey it stays in 45%, making my desktop usable =)

raul_
June 18th, 2007, 01:15 PM
I forgot to mention how to install it http://www.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla1.7.13/installation.html#linux

Oh, I didn't mention you get to use the usual mozilla addons, being a mozilla broswer ;)

moore.bryan
June 18th, 2007, 01:17 PM
i'm amazed... how is seamonkey not using as much, if not more, resources on your machine? it doubled firefox's on mine...

raul_
June 18th, 2007, 01:23 PM
i'm amazed... how is seamonkey not using as much, if not more, resources on your machine? it doubled firefox's on mine...

That got me by surprise :D

Did you install only the Navigator? Because Seamonkey is like an all in one application. Maybe if you install the full version it gets bloated

cunawarit
June 18th, 2007, 01:58 PM
I have a Celeron 700 with 512 MB of RAM. I use both Firefox and Opera on that slow machine. For Firefox I installed the flash blocking Add-on, which helps greatly!

Dillo's performance is PHENOMENAL!!! It is unfair to say Dillo's rendering is aweful because it doesn't support CSS yet, this is was the cards untill the project was declaired frozen and slowly started dying... Which is VERY dissapointing!

If you want to help Dillo: http://fornix.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?title=Campaign_to_help_Dillo_survive&oldid=1648

raul_
June 18th, 2007, 03:48 PM
I have a Celeron 700 with 512 MB of RAM. I use both Firefox and Opera on that slow machine. For Firefox I installed the flash blocking Add-on, which helps greatly!

Dillo's performance is PHENOMENAL!!! It is unfair to say Dillo's rendering is aweful because it doesn't support CSS yet, this is was the cards untill the project was declaired frozen and slowly started dying... Which is VERY dissapointing!

If you want to help Dillo: http://fornix.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?title=Campaign_to_help_Dillo_survive&oldid=1648

Yeah it's a shame...but actually, what I meant was...just try to open ubuntuforums.org in Dillo

init1
June 18th, 2007, 03:59 PM
This browser is awesome.

As you can see in my sig, i have an 8 year old laptop, and I run Feisty Server + Fluxbox, and it's suprisingly fast....until i opened a Web Browser. I had to use Opera since Kazehakase doesn't work well in Feisty, and Firefox is just....well...ubusable with 128mb of RAM =\

So i searched for some browsers for a while, but Dillo is awful rendering pages, i couldn't build Skipstone because Feisty doesn't have the mozilla headers package anymore, and I stumbled in Seamonkey. It's awesome. It even has a thumbnail of a tab if you put your cursor over it.

At first the looks were a bit terrible, but I found some themes, and now it looks pretty much like Firefox with Crystal theme (i'm actually using Mostly Crystal theme). I attached a screenshot so you can see what i'm talking about.

Just so you can see the difference, with pidgin running, and my file manager running, my memory usage is about 30%. When i started Opera, it went to something like 70%. With Seamonkey it stays in 45%, making my desktop usable =)
Weird, because the seamonkey installer is a lot larger than the one for firefox. Seamonkey also has extra features I don't need like email and other stuff. I'm glad it works for you though.

raul_
June 18th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Yeah, as I said, I use it as a Navigator (Browser only). Maybe that's why it takes up so less memory. In the installer you can choose between Navigator only, E-mail, and some other thing I don't remember. The installer it's just 13Mb though, and it brings the whole package, giving you the option to choose. I think that was to avoid confusions between users

Again, I would use Firefox, but this really is fast on me, and it's still a mozilla browser :)