PDA

View Full Version : A good webcam for Ubuntu linux.

Compucore
June 17th, 2007, 10:53 PM
I have been trying to search at the local stores here like The source, Walmart, Compucenter, Compusmart, Best buy, Future shop. for a web cam that can be used with gain within ubuntu linux. I have one other web cam from leiproducts that works some what okay that is detectable within ubuntu. And I can view myself in skype. But I would like to use it with gain so I can chat with my friends under the linux. are there any logitech or equviliant ones that would work in ubuntu. Most feed backs I have gotten from these local stores is that they don't know and only deal with windows xp on all of their systems. And we all know how painful that can be when some of them don't know or heard about linux and are dumb founded when you have to explain to them each and everytime what it is at other stores that you have not visited at all.

Compucore

novice_pdg
June 18th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Hi There, I'm in the same boat. Friends have just relocated to the States from Australia and I'm trying to locate a decent webcam to use with Skype and Ubuntu Linux. No luck yet though.

slimdog360
June 18th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Not that this is related to linux in any real way but while at uni the other day I was experimenting with the iMacs in the library. I love the built in webcam. I was watching some of the wwdc06/07 on youtube and I love the look of the ichat feature. So much so that Im seriously planning on getting an iMac at the end of the year (so long as I pass all my exams).

qamelian
June 18th, 2007, 02:40 PM
The Creative Labs Live! Cam Notebook Pro works out of the box in Feisty. But if you want to use it with gaim you're not going to have any luck because gaim doesn't do video chat yet.

Compucore
June 21st, 2007, 01:28 PM
I was also looking into some of the other im tha are available that can do cross platform instant messaging that can handle the use of webcams and maybe Audio too. Like using the microphones plugs that are either on the sie or back part of the latops. The reason that I would like to do this is that sometime I have to do video conferencing . And always asking at the clients place if they have a teleconferencing machine that is there. Is not always handy to lug around. Even at the pace where I work at. There are three floors that they transport this between them. And for me its is a pain in the rear en to have them drag that out. Where a webcam and a headset with a built in mich could do the same thing for work ad outsie the office you know. Makes things easier.

Compucore

El Viejo Lobo
November 7th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Ubuntu 8.10 is giving lots of problems with webcams of any made it as some problems with the libv4l1. Check on it before upgrading or clean install of 8.10.

starcannon
November 7th, 2008, 06:40 PM
If your looking for a good and easy to use, though maybe not the highest resolution, check out the logitech Quickcam Pro 3000. They don't make them any longer, but dig around on ebay and one will eventually turn up. I usually pay less than $20.00 for them used on ebay. My first one I bought new when they were "cutting edge", and I payed $100.00 for it then.

Anyway, it has built in mic, very acceptable video for teleconfrencing using an appllication like Skype, and it is plug and play, no fuss, no muss, just plug it in and go.

Oh, heres a link to one on Amazon, it's $40.00 if your in a hurry, if your willing to wait for a bargain just haunt the auction sites.
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Pro-3000-Quickcam/dp/B00005R098
Anyway that will let you know what your looking for if you decide to give one of them a go.

Oh one more link, ebay, this time:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Logitech-Quickcam-Pro-3000_W0QQitemZ320316620170QQihZ011QQcategoryZ4616Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

GL and have fun.

darrenn
November 7th, 2008, 07:27 PM
You could try out the creative live cam chat. I didn't check to see if it would work with hardy, but I was fairly confident that I could get it to work. I bought it at walmart for 20 bucks.

socngill
November 10th, 2008, 11:09 AM
The Creative Labs Live! Cam Notebook Pro works out of the box in Feisty. But if you want to use it with gaim you're not going to have any luck because gaim doesn't do video chat yet.

Is this the one you are referring to?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/141993

I am also looking for a webcam for Linux, but can find very little information anywhere on webcams that work in Ubuntu (or Kubuntu for me but i would assume they would work on both...!)

I'd rather not spend £30 on one though!!!!

bonzodog
November 10th, 2008, 11:27 AM
I have a Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000, and it Just Works in Linux, microphone and all.

Its a very good camera, and not all that expensive.

socngill
November 24th, 2008, 01:07 PM
I have a Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000, and it Just Works in Linux, microphone and all.

Its a very good camera, and not all that expensive.

What version of Ubuntu are you using it on?

Polygon
November 24th, 2008, 08:36 PM
i think with intrepid, all webcams don't work, at least mine doesn't, cause it is missing a critical library (like libv2l or something...)

Phreaker
November 24th, 2008, 08:38 PM
My a4tech pk-335mb works out of the box

GoLinux
November 24th, 2008, 11:05 PM
I tried an old Intel webcam on a Thinkpad T41 with 8.10 and it doesn't work in Skype. I get an all green image when I try the "test" button in Skype's Video setting.

I didn't check it with other programs like Cheese, but I have read of a possible fix for the green screen issue under Skype here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=945803

I also tried 8.10 on a new Pavilion DV7-1133CL as LiveCD (actually LiveUSB :))and the built-in webcam works.

I'm thinking to buy a Logitech QuickCam Express for the Thinkpad T41 (less than $20), but I'm not sure it would work under 8.10.

Does anybody have any experience with that particular model and Ubuntu 8.10?

Given all the issues with this last release and webcams, it would help if people could post their experience with a given model specifying what release of Ubuntu they are using.

uidb4056
November 24th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Hi Socngill, I'm using Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000, it works out of the box with Hardy x64 and Intrepid x64. It works with Cheese and with Skype. Is not the most cheaper but has a good quality.

cmay
November 24th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Given all the issues with this last release and webcams, it would help if people could post their experience with a given model specifying what release of Ubuntu they are using.i have a new webcam that is logitech quickcam e 25000 that does not work on ubuntu 8.1.0
but having read this tread i see there is something about a missing library so i will try see if i can get it working on another pc with another ubuntu version.

_sAm_
November 25th, 2008, 01:41 AM
are there any logitech or equviliant ones that would work in ubuntu.
If you go to logitech.com and search for Linux you will find several webcams that will work out of the box on Ubuntu. Logitech are writing for some webcams(with a tiny font) that it will work under Linux if the UAC driver is enabled/installed.

You can read about UAC here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_video_device_class

Ubuntu 8.10 use the Linux kernel that have support for UAC.

I was also looking into some of the other im tha are available that can do cross platform instant messaging that can handle the use of webcams and maybe Audio too Empathy can do video/voice to gtalk.
http://live.gnome.org/Empathy

sharon.gmc
November 25th, 2008, 03:00 AM
I use Logitech and I haven't encountered any problem whatsoever. . .

GoLinux
November 25th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Sharon.gmc,

what Logitech model are you using and what version of Ubuntu?

On my way to work today I stopped at Target and they have:

- Logitech QuickCam Express (white body) at $16 something
- Logitech QuickCam E3560 (black body) at $29 something

does anybody have direct experience with either one on Ubuntu 8.10? I'm tempted to buy both and keep the one that works....

Just some food for thought: on the E3560 box, in the specification list it says it is a Universal Video Class (UVC) camera, thus in theory it should work both on a Mac and a Linux box with UVC drivers.

Interestingly neither the QuickCam Express nor the QuickCam Communicate MP they had on the shelf too (around $40) have mention of UVC on the box.

If anybody has one of those three Logitech working in 8.10 and specifically with Skype I'd appreciate the feedback.

duffrecords
December 19th, 2008, 08:41 AM
The Creative Live! Cam Notebook works with Rastageek's hacked ov51x-jpeg module (http://www.rastageeks.org/ov51x-jpeg/index.php/Main_Page) in Hardy Heron. In Intrepid Ibex you need to use the latest svn code; version 1.5.9 has an error that prevents the camera from being detected.