PDA

View Full Version : More Google Apps Coming to Linux?

Footissimo
June 17th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Didn't notice anyone picking this up..

click (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=751&num=1)

Google Talk would be nice, though it's not exactly heavily used...and a version of Picasa that doesn't use WINE would be really really good.

Not sure if many linux peeps would be that interested if a port of Desktop was made...

Adamant1988
June 17th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Yeah, I caught that, but I don't plan to be using Linux long enough to be effected by it, honestly.

prizrak
June 17th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Google Talk would be nice, though it's not exactly heavily used
I talk to everyone through it actually. The only one who isn't on it is my g/f.

Yeah, I caught that, but I don't plan to be using Linux long enough to be effected by it, honestly.
What are you switching to?

Adamant1988
June 17th, 2007, 09:52 PM
What are you switching to?

Probably Windows for the next few months, until I finish with getting training in the Army. Then I'm going to splurge on a Mac.

Reugen
June 17th, 2007, 09:57 PM
I already use other software for everyting they have, but this certainly helps with making the OS irrelevant , which for most people is a very good thing. I recently switched my mothers computer to kubutu and know she would have never have let me do that without google earth or picasa on linux. Thanks for the link.

floke
June 17th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Probably Windows for the next few months, until I finish with getting training in the Army. Then I'm going to splurge on a Mac.

Can you use a Mac in Iraq?

Footissimo
June 17th, 2007, 10:00 PM
I talk to everyone through it actually. The only one who isn't on it is my g/f.

Relative to YIM, MSN and AIM though, GTalk isn't used that much I believe

Adamant1988
June 17th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Can you use a Mac in Iraq?

And i just tested ctrl-alt-del in Windows - and you can't get readouts on memory CPU usage etc. - so ner ner ner ner ner ;)

Uhm.. Really? That's odd, because I can. Try the 'performance' tab. :) (ner ner ner ner ner).

Also, not sure about taking a Mac to "iRAQ" but I'll have to entertain myself somehow :) (if I go)

floke
June 17th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Yeah scratch that - just deleted it from my post.

Big oops (not quite as big as you're joining-the-army-oops though ;))

prizrak
June 17th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Relative to YIM, MSN and AIM though, GTalk isn't used that much I believe

You are most likely correct, it's pretty individual I suppose.

floke
June 17th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Sorry OP - keeping it on topic - I'd love to see google desktop - since there's no decent search for Linux beyond Beagle, which eats CPU and is far from perfect. Thanks for the heads up!

Extreme Coder
June 17th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Uhm.. Really? That's odd, because I can. Try the 'performance' tab. :) (ner ner ner ner ner).

Also, not sure about taking a Mac to "iRAQ" but I'll have to entertain myself somehow :) (if I go)
Damn, I thought the US would stop sending troops over there :/

JOrtiz8612
June 17th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Considering Google uses Linux on their computers, creating software for major distributions was inevitable.

Polygon
June 18th, 2007, 10:39 AM
I doubt google would spend the time on a google talk port, as google talk uses jabber (supported by a LOT of messaging programs), and they released their google talk VOIP specification, and i believe a program called tapicoa allows you you to "talk" with other google talk users.

But i am suprised that more linux ports have not come out, i mean they do run linux on the computers in google!

triptoe
September 3rd, 2007, 05:51 AM
http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/09/02/1956230

man slashdot is really behind. I didn't realize these slides are months old.

anyways to speculate... what will the apps be?

phrostbyte
September 3rd, 2007, 06:27 AM
Google Desktop has hence been released shortly after this thread was made. I will assume Google Talk is next.

hanzomon4
September 3rd, 2007, 12:43 PM
This is great, I look forward to googletalk. However I'd love to see support from google for pidgin and other linux im suits to help get their gtalk implementations up to scratch . I just like having an all in one solution.

@Adamant1988, Good luck dude I have four friends in the Army and one in the Navy. If you end up in Iraq remember to treat the Iraqi people with the same respect you would treat any of us Americans, they didn't ask for this but war is the card dealt them.

gildelcour
September 5th, 2007, 10:30 PM
I think i use googletalk in pidgin without any problems...

LowSky
September 5th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Considering Google uses Linux on their computers, creating software for major distributions was inevitable.

Goobuntu is a cool idea. i hoope the release it to the world with google apps and desktop goodies as well.

Free Google OS would be awesome

Google could make linux actually something people want.:guitar:

hanzomon4
September 6th, 2007, 01:01 AM
I think i use googletalk in pidgin without any problems...

Voice chat?

gildelcour
September 6th, 2007, 10:48 AM
OK, I might not be able to use voice chat, but since I don't have a mic, that's no problem to me... Can you use voice chat with msn in pidgin?

Vadi
September 6th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Google Earth is pretty much the only flight simulator that runs on my laptop, so yay for that.

I was thinking about getting the desktop, but the little program in places - search for files does it's job perfectly for now, can't complain really.

Oh and I also have picasa. Nothing beats adding a professional touch to a pic just by clicking "I'm feeling lucky".

tehkain
September 6th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Voice chat?Check out all the telepathy clients. They can do libjingle now so voice chat using a googletalk account is easy.