PDA

View Full Version : Help, I don't no jack about Bollywood

Maupertus
June 17th, 2007, 08:55 PM
So here is the problem, after a kernelcr.... wait, no that wasn't it.

In July I'm backpacking through the north of India with my GF for 5 weeks.
Now, she has this great idea about sniffing some culture before we go, which includes watching some Bollywood movies.

Problem A: Living in Groningen, The Netherlands, guess how many Bollywood dvd's I can rent. :D
Problem B: When looking for a Torrent *yes, shame is abundant in my heart, I know I'm stealing ;)* I have absolutely no idea what to look for.

So guy's and gall's, the question I want to ask you is:
What is a good Bollywood movie to see to get into that special vacation mood (or romantic mood :))
If you want to relate it to software, you can also mention your Torrent-app of choice to download it with.

Thanks!

spockrock
June 17th, 2007, 09:00 PM
I am sure there are indian people in the netherlands, and indian people always have indian grocery stores, which often rent bollywood films.

However as some one who is of Indian decent, I dunno how much Indian culture you are gonna get out of the movies, I find a lot of bollywood movies to be americanized.

Happy_Man
June 17th, 2007, 09:14 PM
I am sure there are indian people in the netherlands, and indian people always have indian grocery stores, which often rent bollywood films.

However as some one who is of Indian decent, I dunno how much Indian culture you are gonna get out of the movies, I find a lot of bollywood movies to be americanized.
Another Indian here saying......

You won't get much out of a movie. Go to Mumbai, and spend a week there. You will come out in a medivac chopper or you will know Indian culture *almost* like an Indian.

Tundro Walker
June 17th, 2007, 09:51 PM
...You will come out in a medivac chopper or you will know Indian culture *almost* like an Indian...

Now THERE'S a tourist slogan!

muguwmp67
June 18th, 2007, 02:51 AM
Bride and Prejudice
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361411/

This one has higher production values than the few others I've seen. It is very enjoyable. I've seen other bollywood productions but was disappointed in them, primarily because the subtitles were unimaginably horrible.

Maupertus
June 18th, 2007, 11:13 AM
I don't think the Dutch Government actually pays for Medivac Helicopters.
I believe you get a free aspirine and a map with the best places to hitchhike your way back to Holland ;)

(Hey, were frugal, that's what made our economy strong :D)

Anyhow, I'm looking to rent Bride and Prejudice somewhere, and looking for a torrent.
At the moment I have my GF looking hypnotized at "Himalaya" by Michael Palin so I have a little time.

PartisanEntity
June 18th, 2007, 11:36 AM
I am not sure Bollywood movies are representative of Indian culture. Bolywood is like Hollywood, it's all fake, exaggerated and superficial.

Try to find out about Indian classics. Also remember that you have many cultures and religions in India. So documentaries about India are much better and relevant.

ankursethi
June 18th, 2007, 03:11 PM
I'm an Indian, and I myself don't know too much about India. Back here, every state, city, town, village, block (etc.) have their own unique culture and way of doing things. Probably the best places to visit will be the metros where you find a tiny bit of everything, but I can tell you that even a lifetime is not enough to "get to know" India.

The Bolloywood movies have nothing Indian about them. They are even more unrealistic than Hollywood movies. Personally, I don't watch any of them, but you might like to see the two Munnabhai movies (Munnabhai MBBS and Lage Raho Munnabhai). Funny and heart warming (but not really "Indian", as you put it).

PS : Try the food :-). It's awesome.

mips
June 18th, 2007, 03:20 PM
We have a large 'India' community in the province I live in and you can get bollywood movies all over the show. Drove past a shop on Sat and they had a add selling 5 DVDs for about 10euros, choice of hindi or tamil.

There must be local Indian stores near you somewhere, just aks them where you can get bollywood movies, they will probably sell you some.

I have seen a few movies but cannot remember their names. As another poster mentioned I also saw bride & prejudice.

http://www.idlebrain.com/mumbai/legends/index.html
http://www.amazon.com/Great-BOLLYWOOD-Movies-For-Beginners/lm/3D660WYXZ54ZZ

mips
June 18th, 2007, 03:23 PM
You will come out in a medivac chopper or you will know Indian culture *almost* like an Indian.

True. You might not want to experience "Deli Belly", I experience a 'local' version and was man down for 3 days. Oh, and stick to bottled water.

argie
June 18th, 2007, 04:11 PM
I live in India and I advise against Bollywood movies. Some of them actually do have some interesting stories and then they kill it off with some absurd song-and-dance routine that comes in the middle of nowhere. Pretty crazy.

And renting one of those movies won't get you much 'Indian Culture'. Now if you could just find some low-cost cinema theatre and you can watch a currently popular movie (one's been running for 800 days now, and that movie's star has just made another that everyone's crazy about) there, then you'll know 'Indian Culture' :) Make sure it's not one of the more expensive places, then you'll get a sanitised experience.

EDIT: Just realised you're no longer there? Right, then I have nothing useful to say. Skip this post.

justin whitaker
June 18th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Well, here is a crib sheet version of every Bollywood movie, just so you are culturally up to speed.

1. Boy/Girl or Man/Woman falls in love
2. Big Dance Number expressing said love, or the courtship. Sometimes it's really hard to tell.
3. Someone disapproves of the union for some reason, or there is otherwise outside forces that intervene. Preferably with someone that can be stereotypically evil.
4. Another dance number, or a dance number that is a fight scene, a la West Side Story.
5. Boy/Girl decide to run away.
6. Dance number chase scene.
7. Bad guy is caught, or parents relent.
8. Big finale.

Not from India, but have lots of Indian friends. I think Bollywood films are about as representative of Indian culture as comic books are of ours. ;)

Maupertus
June 18th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Haha, I have to say I appreciate everybody's input, and I have to say that I would have been disappointed if anybody would actualy say that Bollywood was a reflection of Indian culture. We just really hoped for some genuine low-culture ;)

Anyhow, the trip is comming more and more into the finishing stages, as it now stands, we'll land in Dehli, and from thare travel to Rajastan (Jaisalmer) from Rajastan to Himachal Pradesh (Simla and Kunaur) and then a long way down to Varanassi ending again in Dehli. We have 5 weeks and have the idea that we are going to have to cut a couple of things out of the whole experience, but then again, it's always that way with holiday's isn't it?

Anyway, I'm enjoying the pre-trip immensly :D

Happy_Man
June 18th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Bride and Prejudice
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361411/

This one has higher production values than the few others I've seen. It is very enjoyable. I've seen other bollywood productions but was disappointed in them, primarily because the subtitles were unimaginably horrible.

BTW, Bride and Prejudice absolutely sucks. It didn't even run for two weeks in India. The only reason everyone over here likes it is because they don't know any better.

Oh, and +1 for Munnabhai MBBS. Dunno about the other one, as I haven't watched it.

dantrevino
October 25th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Aishwarya Rai is all you need to know.

My ex-future wife....sigh :(