PDA

View Full Version : What continent is greenland in?

jgrabham
June 17th, 2007, 01:40 PM
I would have thought N. America, but I could be wrong considering a lot of vikings went there.

Gustav
June 17th, 2007, 01:45 PM
It's in N. America but it belongs to Denmark

dmizer
June 17th, 2007, 01:55 PM
it isn't a continent. greenland is an island.

edit:
however, if you are talking about tectonic/continental plates, the island of greenland is part of the north american continental tectonic plate.

xpod
June 17th, 2007, 01:59 PM
The worlds largest one at that....unless you want to be pedantic:p

azkehmm
June 17th, 2007, 01:59 PM
It's in N. America but it belongs to Denmark

It doesn't belong to Denmark. They're a part of the Danish "Rigsfællesskab" which more or less resembles the british commonwealth (at least as far as I know. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will correct me if I'm worng :))

notwen
June 17th, 2007, 02:02 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenland

Greenland (Greenlandic: Kalaallit Nunaat, meaning "Land of the Kalaallit (Greenlanders)"; Danish: Grønland IPA: [g̊ʁœnlɑn], meaning "Greenland") is a self-governed Danish territory lying between the Arctic and Atlantic Oceans. Though geographically and ethnically an Arctic island nation associated with the continent of North America, politically and historically Greenland is closely tied to Europe. It is the largest non-continental island in the world.

mips
June 17th, 2007, 02:07 PM
it isn't a continent. greenland is an island.

edit:
however, if you are talking about tectonic/continental plates, the island of greenland is part of the north american continental tectonic plate.

Looks like you guys still have good schools unlike other western countires ;)

It's an Island and the largest one at that.
It is a self-governing Danish territory.
It falls within the north american techtonic plates.

The vikings pretty much went everywhere, even north america which they reached hundreds of years before Columbus.

dmizer
June 17th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Looks like you guys still have good schools unlike other western countires ;)

my location does not necessarily reflect my nationality.

Afoot
June 17th, 2007, 02:11 PM
I would have thought N. America, but I could be wrong considering a lot of vikings went there.
Somehow I doubt that cultural heritage affects geographic location...

jgrabham
June 17th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Somehow I doubt that cultural heritage affects geographic location...

There are french terratories in s. America which qualify for the EU.

dmizer
June 17th, 2007, 02:21 PM
There are french terratories in s. America which qualify for the EU.

the point Afoot was making is that just because they are eligible for the EU, does not make them part of the european continent.

juxtaposed
June 17th, 2007, 02:28 PM
They're a part of the Danish "Rigsfællesskab

Is that possible to pronounce?

Wow, it's an odd word.

fuscia
June 17th, 2007, 03:17 PM
this must be from july 4th weekend...

http://www.geoex.com/admin/upload/photos/1301_NE-Greenland_main.jpg

mips
June 17th, 2007, 03:58 PM
this must be from july 4th weekend...

Why, did you guys annex Greenland ? :)

xpod
June 17th, 2007, 04:35 PM
That sweater looks like some of the obligatory Xmas jumpers i got from my gran back in the day.:shock:

Greenland is the one covered in ice but iceland is the one covered in greenery

fuscia
June 17th, 2007, 04:58 PM

didn't we? anyway, i was thinking about how often it gets that warm up there. it looks almost like it's in the upper 50s (f).

mostwanted
June 17th, 2007, 05:42 PM
It doesn't belong to Denmark. They're a part of the Danish "Rigsfællesskab" which more or less resembles the british commonwealth (at least as far as I know. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will correct me if I'm worng :))

No, it doesn't represent the British Commonwealth at all. The Commonwealth is an organisation where a lot of countries identify with their common British past and participate in sports, but it doesn't have any political powers over its members.

Greenland is like a Danish county with elevated autonomy. It's not independent at all, especially considering the fact that most of the money that Greenland gets from Denmark (they are highly dependant on support from Denmark) is politically tied to whatever the Danish parliament decides it must be used for. Greenland is only represented by 2 out of 179 seats in the Danish parliament (just like the Faroes).

Greenland is not part of the EU, but because they're still part of Denmark they have all of the EU law anyway. The reason they're not part of the EU is because of EU fishing quotas. They use their own money like the Faroes, but this is interchangeable with Danish Kroner, so it's really just special edition Kroner.

BuffaloX
June 17th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Is that possible to pronounce?

Wow, it's an odd word.

In danish we glue words together unlike english that keep them apart, even when they are used together to give a particular meaning.
This way it would be written like "rigs fællesskab" in English.
Rigs comes from rige, which is equivalent to reich,
Konge-rige would in English be King-dom, I don't know if English has a word for a kingdom without the king?
Fællesskab means communality.
So the meaning is >king<dom communality.

Greenland is not independent, Denmark has the power, but Greenland has "Selvstyre,"
Which roughly means self determination. So they decide lots of stuff by themselves, but are part of Denmark, which means Denmark has all rights to any natural resources, and Denmark also decides if US are allowed to have bases or not.
On the other hand Greenland has two members in the Danish Parliament. An influence roughly comparable to their population.

We have lots of fun words in Danish, you should come visit and have a good harty laugh.
We have "fart kontrol" on our highways, how many contries have that???

forrestcupp
June 17th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Greenland is not independent, Denmark has the power, but Greenland has "Selvstyre,"
Which roughly means self determination. So they decide lots of stuff by themselves, but are part of Denmark,
We have "fart kontrol" on our highways, how many contries have that???

Kind of like Texas (joking). The best thing from Denmark are the breakfast danishes.

Anyway, I don't think the question was clearly answered. I know Greenland is part of Denmark, but is Greenland considered North America, or Europe?

BuffaloX
June 17th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Kind of like Texas (joking). The best thing from Denmark are the breakfast danishes.

Anyway, I don't think the question was clearly answered. I know Greenland is part of Denmark, but is Greenland considered North America, or Europe?

Geographically it's North America.
Politically it's European because Denmark is European.

BTW you should taste a Danish danish, the American ones are nothing in comparison.

smoker
June 17th, 2007, 10:19 PM
That sweater looks like some of the obligatory Xmas jumpers i got from my gran back in the day.:shock:

hme, i used get those also, as a kid, and they were also always five sizes too big (incase you suddenly grew during the time they took to knit!):D

peedeeramone
June 17th, 2007, 10:42 PM
awesome

its allways cool to hear about some other random place...

i used to not know anything about greenland

now i do

BuffaloX
June 17th, 2007, 10:58 PM

I'm not sure anybody remembers anymore.
It was the Danish Vikings way back.
But from what little I know, the climate was milder back then, and Greenland offered farming opportunities.

I don't think it's quite right to say we annexed Greenland, because there were so few people, that the Greenlenders most likely hardly noticed our presence. Later on is another story, because we tried to "civilize" them.
Which is probably the worst thing we ever did up there.

forrestcupp
June 18th, 2007, 01:10 AM
BTW you should taste a Danish danish, the American ones are nothing in comparison.

I have heard that pastries in the UK and France aren't nearly as sweet as American ones. Is that true about Danish danishes as well?

BuffaloX
June 18th, 2007, 01:44 AM
I have heard that pastries in the UK and France aren't nearly as sweet as American ones. Is that true about Danish danishes as well?

They are quite sweet, probably slightly less sweet than in US.
But it's more about the type of ingredients.
We use flour with low protein, usually considered low quality, but good for this special kind of pastry.
The sugar and fat also has to be of a certain kind, I don't know the English terms sorry.
It's extremely unhealthy, but it taste good. ;) Stuff is added for taste, so we have many different "classic" kinds.
None are like the ones I see on American movies.
I was in California once, and tried a couple of times to buy one, but they were dry and without much taste, and totally lacked texture.

forrestcupp
June 18th, 2007, 03:04 AM
They are probably not much like our orange danishes that you get in a can and bake. They are nothing more than nasty canned biscuits with some cinnamon in them. I'm sure Danish people would cringe to think that those are called danishes.

azkehmm
June 18th, 2007, 07:42 AM
It's not independent at all, especially considering the fact that most of the money that Greenland gets from Denmark (they are highly dependant on support from Denmark) is politically tied to whatever the Danish parliament decides it must be used for. Greenland is only represented by 2 out of 179 seats in the Danish parliament (just like the Faroes).

Bugger... I always figured the money was some kind of compensation for past wrongs, and that those two dudes in the parlament was just there to make sure they got them... Oh well, I guess I learned something today as well :)

Also, as a little help to the lazy bastards on these forums, I give thee.....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenland

O:)

Baelfael
June 18th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Greenland is part of outer space.

mips
June 18th, 2007, 01:45 PM
I'm not sure anybody remembers anymore.
It was the Danish Vikings way back.
But from what little I know, the climate was milder back then, and Greenland offered farming opportunities.

I don't think it's quite right to say we annexed Greenland, because there were so few people, that the Greenlenders most likely hardly noticed our presence. Later on is another story, because we tried to "civilize" them.
Which is probably the worst thing we ever did up there.

It was a joke hinting at the way the US annexed other terrotries and they must have missed greenland.

Aware of the Vikings, they even made it all the way to N.America but the colonies were to small to keep the locals back. And this was hundreds of years before Columbus.