PDA

View Full Version : Why We Use Mac/Vista Themes

dannymichel
June 17th, 2007, 06:29 AM
I just finished installing AWN (Avant Window Navigator) and a Mac GTK and Emerald theme.
The goal was to make my Ubuntu instillation look LIKE a mac, but not completely.
Some of you might disagree with people creating and using themes to emulate other operating systems, but there are a few questions that you may need to ask yourself.
Why are people resorting to using and creating these themes in the first place?
Short answer: Ubuntu and all Linux desktops(not just in my opinion, but in the majorities opinion) is UGLY.... VERY UGLY out the box. IMO the developers didn't think about creating a user interface that used a minimal amount of space, allowing users to have more breathing room on thier desktops. You opn 2 windows on a Linux/Ubuntu desktop and you've pretty much filled up your whole screen. I have a rather average screen @ 20 inches, which I think is something close to or pretty much what the average guys uses these days.
I mean, A GUI's optimal design is to use the space given as nice and compact as possible allowing for users to multi-task without cluttering the screen.

The stock out the box theme for Ubuntu is just horrible. The majority of use think so(even i fyou fan-boys don't want to admit it, you know it's true). The padding/spacing between icons and menus are just ridiculous! What were you thinking?

You go to GNOME look and click on most downloaded themes and what do you get? You find trhat Linux users are downloading themes that emulate other operating systems MOSTLY. That's gotta tell you something. You see them all over the place, but you know what you will never see?
A Ubuntu/Linux theme for Vista or Mac. Why would a Vista or mac user want thier desktop to look that FUGLY.
So what do we do? We sit there for an hour or so, customizing (I SAY IT"S FIXING) our ugly Linux desktops after a fresh install.

http://www.ny-dev.com/forums/gallery/data/529/medium/Ubuntu_Desktop_4.png
http://www.ny-dev.com/forums/gallery/data/529/Ubuntu_Desktop_4.png
http://www.ny-dev.com/forums/gallery/data/529/medium/Ubuntu_Desktop_6.png
http://www.ny-dev.com/forums/gallery/data/529/Ubuntu_Desktop_6.png
http://www.ny-dev.com/forums/gallery/data/529/medium/Ubuntu_Desktop_2.png
http://www.ny-dev.com/forums/gallery/data/529/Ubuntu_Desktop_2.png
http://www.ny-dev.com/forums/gallery/data/529/medium/Ubuntu_Desktop_3.png
http://www.ny-dev.com/forums/gallery/data/529/Ubuntu_Desktop_3.png
http://www.ny-dev.com/forums/gallery/data/529/medium/Ubuntu_Desktop_1.png
http://www.ny-dev.com/forums/gallery/data/529/Ubuntu_Desktop_1.png

Malibu Illusion
June 17th, 2007, 06:35 AM
People are mostly emulating other operating systems? I'm not too sure about where you're getting your statistics from, but the vast majority of people I know just evolve their theme and tweak it to how they like it, not resembling anything.

Sure, Ubuntu's default theming isn't all that appealing but that's why it's entirely customizable; so people can set it up to just how they like it. If they want it to resemble other systems then so be it.

Don't get the problem here, to be honest.

dannymichel
June 17th, 2007, 07:21 AM
Here you go.

mainalisuyog
June 17th, 2007, 07:40 AM
I completely agree. Most linux distros, more specifically ubuntu, look horrible out of the box. Accepting one's weakness is the first step towards imporvement. I wonder why the fanboys don't understand it.

BTW, what's the theme you are using for firefox?

Jim March
June 17th, 2007, 07:40 AM
You know what?

I call bullpuckeys.

Here's MY desktop, only very slightly tuned from standard Gnome:

http://www.equalccw.com/virtual2.jpg

This is a straight 1200x800 screenshot meant originally to show off Virtualbox running Diebold's election management software so I can kick the tires on election databases and detect fraud.

But set that aside: look what I've done with the top and bottom panels.

The bottom panel has been completely given over to task switching. Everything else is moved up top if it wasn't there already.

Across the top, left to right:

Menus are standard Gnome. Then there's Firefox, Ubuntu Help, terminal, notepad, OpenOffice Write and IE6 via Wine/IEs4Linux. Then there's space for more quick-access apps, then the screenshot utility, network status, AC connect indicator, CPU activity with process killer, Gnome Search, desktop switcher (with just two desktops thank you), "dead window killer", desktop quick access, trashcan, battery gauge, Network Control (currently showing WiFi signal strength, volume control, date/time, shutoff.

It's hard to overstate how much butt this kicks :). Seriously, I have access to everything, fast, clean, don't even need to resort to 3D stuff or anything fancy. That and a decent wallpaper downloaded off NASA :D and I'm good to go. I haven't seen anything this slick in KDE quickly available.

This desktop pattern is it's own thing. It could be simplified for the less geeky of course. The task-switcher at the bottom is loosely Windows-derived, the top has a little bit of Mac flavor, not much of course, but the overall whole is all Gnome/Ubuntu with some good ideas derived from elsewhere.

There's nothing this functional available anywhere.

dannymichel
June 17th, 2007, 08:23 AM
I completely agree. Most linux distros, more specifically ubuntu, look horrible out of the box. Accepting one's weakness is the first step towards imporvement. I wonder why the fanboys don't understand it.

BTW, what's the theme you are using for firefox?
I Safari

You know what?

I call bullpuckeys.

Here's MY desktop, only very slightly tuned from standard Gnome:

http://www.equalccw.com/virtual2.jpgI gotta tell you bro, I find that quite smugly. I'm sorry.

quinnten83
June 17th, 2007, 08:44 AM
Wow,
IMHO this thread only proves that people have different tastes.
Personally I don't mind the OOB ubuntu theme (although I liked the background in the previous release better).
I like the vista look, but hated W2K. XP gave me luke warm feelings, and I find macOS disorienting.
The thing about these OS's is that they can't be customized, while Linux can. I'd rather have the programmers in linux spend their time making great programs (which they are doing now anyhow, good jobs guys), than worrying about aesthetics, when everybody can change that anyhow.

The only thing I really want right now, though, is a skin for evolution. That grey color is just sooooo last season.
So, if anybody has a howto for this lying on the internet somewhere, please point me to it.

usergentoo
June 17th, 2007, 08:45 AM
If your looking to make it mac looking and preform like one. I suggest trying kde. Here is one I did awhile back.
http://kde-look.org/CONTENT/content-files/52541-carbon6.png (http://kde-look.org/CONTENT/content-files/52541-carbon6.png)

hyper_ch
June 17th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Hmmm, I rather tend to think thta 20" screens aren't average... I'd rather say 17" ones are...

And then... I don't Ubuntu default theme is ugly... but people have different tastes... I never understood how people got so crazy about eye-candied desktop... for me it needs to be function...

v8YKxgHe
June 17th, 2007, 08:55 AM
The default theme are .... not the best, no - but even if we had a 'nice' theme, there will _always_ be people who will not like it. Some like tea, some like coffee - no one can change that.

What you may like, I may hate, what I may like - you may hate. What I do agree on is that Ubuntu and other Linux distros need better themes. The thing I see the most is these really nice bootsplashes and GDM sreens (see Fedora 7) ..... but when we get to the desktop it's just all blown away. The Panels are _always_, _always_ ignored and left to a boring, flat grey, pretty much every Gnome distro uses Clearlooks which is a bloated style to begin with - making it feel like you have less space than you actually do - it's just all flat, grey and boring.

alecwh
June 17th, 2007, 09:00 AM
I love the ubuntu theme. :)

Golyadkin
June 17th, 2007, 09:04 AM
I sincerely think that if your computer is something you work on and not a status symbol or a toy, there is really no importance to having a skin or theme installed. For me what is important is that I have a stable, fast operating system with none of the hollywood teletubby crap to distract me from working fast, efficient and with satisfaction.

Seriously, I can enjoy a nice theme although the only ever theme installing I did was revert Windows XP back to the classic theme. The point is that most user created themes are not very user-friendly. But people don't really seem to care, as long as they can boast about how cool their pimped desktop is.

The Human theme from Ubuntu in my opinion is very good because it has smooth brown colours, very little visual clutter and the visual hints about buttons and text fields in focus and such, are very good. Brown is not my favourite colour, but it still looks very nice and I can't think of an important reason to change it.

I for one could not work as efficiently with the skin you have installed for Firefox there because the usability of the interface is less good.

So you say it is ugly, well, that's fine. To each his own, just take into account other people might disagree and leave it at that.

Jimmyfj
June 17th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Honestly I don't see what the problem is here??

Ubuntu and Linux in general is all about freedom, wouldn't you agree? Freedom is also freedom to chose what ever look and feel you find tasty to the eye?

But for the look and feel on your desktop there is a lot more to it than just being able to show off by spreading my desktop theme world wide. So you like the look and fell of a mac? Go by a mac then.

To me the default Ubuntu theme that is "out of the box" have been chosen by people who know exactly what they are doing when it come down to colors. It's about psychology, more than any thing else. Which is what M$ has missed out on for years and years and years.

Colors give you the peace of mind. Not only does it please the eye, but it also affects the mind. That is what a professional desktop designer will know from his/her time at school.

There's absolutely nothing to it reconfiguring your theme to your own likings - The art of desktop decoration is the art of creating peace and harmony to both the eye and to the mind at the same time.

To me changing the look and feel of my desktop has little to do with emulating another OS. It's about what I like to look at, and what brings peace to my eyes and mind. It's NOT about whether or not I can get my desktop to look like an Easter-egg. It's about peace of mind while getting the job done, without burning you system resources to ground 0 in performance.

Just my opinion.

Ozeuss
June 17th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Wow,
The thing about these OS's is that they can't be customized, while Linux can. I'd rather have the programmers in linux spend their time making great programs (which they are doing now anyhow, good jobs guys), than worrying about aesthetics, when everybody can change that anyhow.

I totally agree. in my mind those OSes are inferior to gnu/linux DE's because they aren't nearly as customizable. i tried the OSX route a couple months ago, but i got tired of it. gnome OOB isn't too eye-candy, but that's caused it geared more towards simplicity.
There's of course room for improvement in eye-candy, but i too would like too see more effort on functionality, i can take of the eye-candy myself.

argie
June 17th, 2007, 09:19 AM
I love the ubuntu theme. :)

And so does my dad, he once actually said he hates having to return to 'ugly' Windows XP when he has to use the computer at the hospital. I'm more of a blue-light grey fan though, so I switch to Clearlooks.

@OP: Nice desktop background, but I don't care much for your window borders or button styles. I prefer Clearlooks (a slightly modified shinier version that I have for Dapper).

Phixion
June 17th, 2007, 11:36 AM
People make their desks look like Vista and OSX because it's the latest trend, OSX has become highly popular over the last few months and because Vista is new, people also want a bit of that pie.

I agree that the default desktop is ugly, personally I don't understand why all Linux distro's insist of having the default font at size 12, its HUUUUUUUUUUGE on my 19", I can't imagine what it looks like on a 17". I know you can customize the font size, but lets be honest... font rendering on Linux is also VERY poor.

Golyadkin
June 17th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Font rendering is poor? It looks just perfect for me, antialiasing and subpixel rendering make the fonts look super smooth and crisp. I feel it looks even better than on Windows. You can install the Microsoft fonts if you want, but I don't think it is necessary.
I am using an Iiyama 23" monitor at 2048x1536 @ 85Hz so the 12pt fontsize is no problem.

EdThaSlayer
June 17th, 2007, 11:56 AM
I like the way that Ubuntu looks. It doesn't get in the way of me doing my work(it is an efficient theme so to say). If you want eyecandy go to KDE and get some of their awesome themes.

Rajiv_Nair
June 17th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Guess the OS ;)

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/9949/screenshot10vo4.th.png (http://img150.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot10vo4.png)

I made ubuntu luk like windows coz i found out that whenever my sis or dad(both regular ******* users) use ubuntu they feel more "at home" this way. And to be honest vista is crap, but the theme is great:D IMO one of the few gud things about ******* is the luk, and the beauty of linux is that u can have the best of everything ;)

Michaelt74
June 17th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Good point, I don't get why people constantly create new themes with blue as the predominant colour. I think it's a case of the whole world being accustomed to the Windows look and that's what they expect when they use a computer. I've made a concerted effort to stay away blue themes.

kyfho23
June 17th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Another point to consider is that Apple and Microsoft are both selling their systems...and no small amount of time and money go into the user interface. The mac desktop IS pretty...not having any real experience with it, I don't know how customizable it is

While I know Vista has a lot of under-the-hood improvements, the main selling point is the Aero interface, but that's only available with the higher-end versions (read: higher priced). Note also that many people never bother to change the default desktop (watch tv, and note how many people are using XP's blue desktop with the Bliss wall paper when they show the computer over the shoulder of the interviewee...or use the default screen saver, providing free advertising for MS :D).

Linux in general,and Ubuntu in particular, offer lots of options. I personally love Kubuntu, but there are many other window managers available...enlightenment, xfce, gnome, etc. I personally think the most innovative window manager is Looking Glass from Java, but it's still too much of a work-in-progress for me.

As many of the previous posts have pointed out....we've got choices, and you can mix and match them easily and MUCH less expensivley, on an Ubuntu box than on Windows.

Phixion
June 17th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Regarding the original poster, there are a few Linux themes for Windows, Clearlooks being one :)

Golyadkin
June 17th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Clearlooks for Windows XP (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/18591720/).

A*p
June 17th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Do we really, or is it just a fad people go through when changing over to linux? Their was a time that I made my system look like a mac but that was a long time ago.

Since then I have realised how customisable the Linux desktop can be. I have attached a screenshot from my laptop, which I use everyday for work, This is what my desktop has evolved too with functionality being the first factor, everything where I need it, programs and scripts are in draws on the left. In the end it is what you the user is most comfortable with, but the desktop environment should work with and not against you. The default Linux desktop ugly as it can be is very much like a blank canvas for the user to mold to their needs.

hoges
June 17th, 2007, 02:31 PM
What the hell's wrong with the default ubuntu theme???

I don't get the whole arty thing. Compared to vista, it's soooo much easier to use, which is what I rate a theme on. In the end I can change the colours. Vista you can't. Every time you use an app that doesn't support aero it goes to hell.

While the colour scheme isn't great, I'd rather use ubuntu human than the default xp blue one. Now if you want fugly, THAT is fugly.

And I think part of the trend of having ms style themes is that new adopters are used to it, and the nerds like me like to see a sample of windows without the crap.

I use ubuntu human 'cause it's easy and non-obtrusive. And I can't be bothered finding alternative themes. But the good thing is that it works, and you don't need to change stuff around to make it work efficiently.

w4ett
June 17th, 2007, 03:12 PM
The default theme is OK but I've been using the Ubuntu Studio theme lately and have gotten quite attached to it. I use a 17" monitor, 800 x 600 (I have old eyes 8) )

Lord Illidan
June 17th, 2007, 03:24 PM
What looks nice to you might not look nice to someone else. Taste is subjective.

I like the Ubuntu theme. It's different. And it looks pretty good on my 17 inch monitor. And when I use KDE, I use the Polyester theme.

Brightbelt
June 17th, 2007, 03:38 PM
I think Vista has upped the standard on desktop graphics and it's about time. We've got graphic cards to capture as many cool effects as possible in games and then you end up with a bland color scheme for an OS?
People pooh-pooh nice themes as eye candy, but aren't cool graphics much of what modern computing is all about?

I love Ubuntu too, but I spend a lot of time customizing the desktop. I love its minimalism out of the box as well, but there's a certain identity that gets attached to the OS's default theme - it helps to define our feelings about the OS whether we know it consciously or not.

I do have to give Ubuntu's theme one definite nod, however. Every once in a while, I have to go ORANGE ;).

Frank B.

Lord Illidan
June 17th, 2007, 03:55 PM
I think Vista has upped the standard on desktop graphics and it's about time. We've got graphic cards to capture as many cool effects as possible in games and then you end up with a bland color scheme for an OS?
People pooh-pooh nice themes as eye candy, but aren't cool graphics much of what modern computing is all about?

I love Ubuntu too, but I spend a lot of time customizing the desktop. I love its minimalism out of the box as well, but there's a certain identity that gets attached to the OS's default theme - it helps to define our feelings about the OS whether we know it consciously or not.

I do have to give Ubuntu's theme one definite nod, however. Every once in a while, I have to go ORANGE ;).

Frank B.

Not everyone has good nice graphics cards. What about people with poor integrated graphics cards, or with graphics cards whose drivers are not very good in Linux? That's why I am against Beryl/Compiz being enabled by default.

dptxp
June 17th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Not everyone has good nice graphics cards. What about people with poor integrated graphics cards, or with graphics cards whose drivers are not very good in Linux? That's why I am against Beryl/Compiz being enabled by default.

There is no Beryl in Ubuntu, and Compiz is not enabled by default.
You can have a nice desktop without these, they use lot of resources.

Kubuntu has some desktop effects enabled by default, but you can change in first run too.
Beryl and Compiz are in Beta state anyway.

But then, personal preference.

shearn89
June 17th, 2007, 04:07 PM
why is this in the absolute beginner's forum? why not the Desktop FX/customisation?
Just thought i'd ask...

Lord Illidan
June 17th, 2007, 04:14 PM
There is no Beryl in Ubuntu, and Compiz is not enabled by default.
You can have a nice desktop without these, they use lot of resources.

Kubuntu has some desktop effects enabled by default, but you can change in first run too.
Beryl and Compiz are in Beta state anyway.

But then, personal preference.

I know. But there are some people who want them to be enabled by default.

Brightbelt
June 17th, 2007, 04:47 PM

I never said anything about wanting Beryl/Compiz to be enabled by default. I mentioned that there are higher-level graphics cards - they exist - I did not say that everybody has them or can afford them.

My graphics card is a fairly good one and it still does not support Beryl. :(

Frank B.

PartisanEntity
June 17th, 2007, 04:55 PM
I have moved the thread to a more appropriate forum, as someone pointed out, this is not really a beginner support request but a discussion :)

Pobega
June 17th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Everyone likes their workspace to look different. Just because the people who go to gnome-look want their workstations to look like Macs doesn't mean everybody does.

Most of the community probably doesn't even use GNOME, or a desktop environment even. I personally use Window Maker, and although it is a NeXT Step clone, it suits my needs perfectly.

As for the reason people want to make their install look like something else, it's because companies like Apple and Microsoft can afford to spend their resources on pretty GUIs instead of functioning systems; They already share the majority market.

If you want something that looks good then get it. It doesn't nessecarily have to be a Mac or Windows theme, but if that's what you think looks good then go for it. I personally like a lightweight feeling more than a "pretty" feeling, and I'm glad I don't have to strip down an overly bloated desktop environment to get that. GNU/Linux is about choice.

Choose your OS
Choose your distrtibution
Choose your GUI environment
Choose your GUI env's theme
etc.

Not everyone's opinions on how things should work is the same, which is why Ubuntu (Or GNOME in general) gives you a very minimalistic look by default, and you have to install extra things on top for the bloat (Or eye candy, depending upon how you look at it).

Lord Illidan
June 17th, 2007, 05:07 PM
I never said anything about wanting Beryl/Compiz to be enabled by default. I mentioned that there are higher-level graphics cards - they exist - I did not say that everybody has them or can afford them.

My graphics card is a fairly good one and it still does not support Beryl. :(

Frank B.

And I never mentioned you either.. But in many reviews I read, I see that the complaint is "No desktop effects by default".

Now, if the drivers were automagically installed, and Beryl/Compiz were to be more stable, and hell, a bit faster then it might be an option. But otherwise it would be a nightmare..just imagine people who have SiS cards, for example.

Brightbelt
June 17th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightbelt View Post

I do have to give Ubuntu's theme one definite nod, however. Every once in a while, I have to go ORANGE .
Frank B.

Lord Illidan
June 17th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Whatever. I didn't mention you as being one of the people who wanted Desktop Effects enabled by default. Contented?

russo.mic
June 17th, 2007, 05:25 PM
I hate this argument so much, I thought I'd put my 2 cents in!

I think the reason ubuntu's default look is so 'ugly' is because the developers are working quite hard on designing an operating system from scratch that works on a majority of computers and that is easy for everybody to use. That being said, I like the fact that they leave the decorating up to me, and I'll be just as happy to leave wireless support, bluetooth support, soundcard support, Display adapter support, backlit keyboard support (for us apple users), Webcam support, 3d accelraton, even things as mundane as making sure my mouse works, up to them.

I think everyone here is capable of chaning there desktop wallpaper.

Bill Cosby
June 17th, 2007, 05:26 PM
When I swtiched from Windows to Ubuntu, I couldn't bear the fugly look after a few weeks and changed back to Windows, all my customization efforts were in vain, since I never got the grip, I am more a terminal guy :D And so I used wmii for a while, but it felt uncomfortable after I started using linux for really everything I used Windows before. So I am back on Ubuntu, and this time I just made it look Vista Like, and I love it :D

I think the appearance is very important, 85% of our environment we realize with the eyes, the food, people, all are perceived as better if they just look better, that is the same with apps, and OSs, anyhow, now I am fine, after spending a whole weekend in tweaking Ubuntu, lookwise.
At least it is great that Linux has so many options to change (sometimes it is a burden though), so Linux FTW! But it doesn't change the fact that Ubuntu, and many many other distros (mostly depends on GNOME and KDE I figure), are FUGLY!

Lord Illidan
June 17th, 2007, 05:31 PM
I really don't agree. The orange theme looks really nice.

The only things I don't like about Ubuntu are the wallpaper, but that's really easy to change, and hell, hardly anyone sticks to the default, and the panels. Dull grey sucks.

On KDE, I also change the default theme to Polyester.

ComplexNumber
June 17th, 2007, 06:33 PM
i never use vista or mac themes because i grew tired of them ages ago. i also don't find them at all appealing. the mac is rather ugly and boring IMO.
considering the lack of originality in the linux theming world, it's not surprising people seek out mac and vista themes. i'm dismayed at the sheer number of boring old mac/vista clones available.

qamelian
June 17th, 2007, 06:33 PM
But it doesn't change the fact that Ubuntu, and many many other distros (mostly depends on GNOME and KDE I figure), are FUGLY!

It is not a fact that they are ugly. It IS a fact that you don't find them attractive. Personally, I don't find the default look of Ubuntu ugly at all. In fact I like it better than both Vista and OSX.

Warpnow
June 17th, 2007, 06:47 PM
I think Ubuntu looks nice & clean out of the box...

Ubuntu Ultimate Edition, though, has a much more complex GUI for those seeking it...

ThinkBuntu
June 17th, 2007, 06:59 PM
I don't use a Mac theme because it looks just plain goofy with GTK+ apps. I instead have a mix-n-match going on: Clearlooks controls (which is nice because it integrates with every app, including Synaptic: many GTK themes don't do that), Zen window border, and OSX icons. I find the icons themselves visually appealing, although I prefer the folder icons that came with the icon theme. They're smoother than the actual OSX folder icons, and again look very good with GTK+.

Lord Illidan
June 17th, 2007, 07:05 PM
i never use vista or mac themes because i grew tired of them ages ago. i also don't find them at all appealing. the mac is rather ugly and boring IMO.
considering the lack of originality in the linux theming world, it's not surprising people seek out mac and vista themes. i'm dismayed at the sheer number of boring old mac/vista clones available.

That's it...lack of originality. How many themes are just the standard blue-gray? SUSE, Fedora, Zenwalk, you name em.

Ubuntu is radically different.

ComplexNumber
June 17th, 2007, 07:16 PM
That's it...lack of originality. How many themes are just the standard blue-gray? SUSE, Fedora, Zenwalk, you name em.

Ubuntu is radically different.
i wasn't referring to default themes.

Laterix
June 17th, 2007, 07:20 PM
I don't like Ubuntu default brown theme. It's usable, but it's not good looking for me. I believe that many people agree with me and many people do like OSX theme. I have written HOWTO make ubuntu to look like OSX (see signature) and last month my site was visited by 41000 unique users (http://users.utu.fi/ljtaim/pics/stats.png). Just because of those howtos.

I think that better looking default theme would make people more interested in Linux and Ubuntu. I know it's easy to change and modifiable etc. but most of the people don't know that.

Rui Pais
June 17th, 2007, 07:24 PM
one thing that i never been able to understand is how people find the mix of brushed metal (too techie and eye obtrusive) and blue crystal like widgets would go well together...

the weird practice of using colors for windows bar controls (max. min. close) always make me feels that Apple think of they users as cars, not human been. When i use my computer i don't like to face my windows like they have semaphores!!

And the final touch. Blue as the main color. How original... How would someone remember to pick such a color...
It's the 21st! Guys that color is used since the 80's #-o.

fyllekajan
June 17th, 2007, 07:24 PM
I couldn't care less what the default theme/artwork looks like, I don't even remember, what's the point of this thread...

kamaboko
June 17th, 2007, 07:25 PM
I've never been drawn into pretty themes. Hell, Ubuntu could ship with a black screen and gray icons, I wouldn't care. As it stands, I just threw on b/w ocean pic for the desktop and called it good.

Laterix
June 17th, 2007, 07:30 PM
And the final touch. Blue as the main color. How original... How would someone remember to pick such a color...
Well, trees have been green since forever and they still look nice. :) I find it that blue is easy on eyes and very calm color to use. You can't be innovative with colors. We have only few colors and that's it. Every color is used everywhere before...

ThinkBuntu
June 17th, 2007, 07:30 PM
one thing that i never been able to understand is how people find the mix of brushed metal (too techie and eye obtrusive) and blue crystal like widgets would go well together...

the weird practice of using colors for windows bar controls (max. min. close) always make me feels that Apple think of they users as cars, not human been. When i use my computer i don't like to face my windows like they have semaphores!!

There was once a time when the Mac title bar had three buttons: close (a square gray box), maximize/shrink (a slightly different gray box) and shade (another slightly different gray box). I really liked the colored buttons, and they were always more intuitive to me than the windows-style x/_/[] format. Unfortunately, unless I use Beryl with slatehorn, it seems my only option for colored buttons would be to use an OS X theme, which I don't want to use.

P.S. Just so everyone knows, GNOME is my way of reminiscing back to my OS 8 and 9 days. And I prefer it to an OS X desktop.

Rui Pais
June 17th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Well, trees have been green since forever and they still look nice. :) I find it that blue is easy on eyes and very calm color to use. You can't be innovative with colors. We have only few colors and that's it. Every color is used everywhere before...

You can't customize trees... :) (sudo apt-get install seasons?)

Well Ubuntu innovates. brown, orange. They are original color palettes (and soft brown is calm, although not much as electric blue :lol:). But one can not like it of course...
Suse use an original and very consistent palette too (imho, we are always discussing tastes)

Rabidmonkey1
June 17th, 2007, 07:48 PM
As we all know, Linux is about freedom and control over your own system, including the look and feel. Personally, as long as the general functionality is there out of the box, then I'm fine with spending some time and customizing my setup.

As far as your post is concerned, just because it's not a mac doesn't make it ugly. I'm alright with the default ubuntu theme, but I currently am really liking Ubuntu Studio's theme. It integrates nicely with the Emerald theme Solid Slate Modified.

Tip: I find the The Nasa Night launch theme for firefox is much nicer than the default in Ubuntu Studio.

k99goran
June 17th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Personally I'm not a big fan of the OS X theme, and I don't try to make my desktop look like an Apple OS desktop.

On the other hand, while I agree that changing themes on Ubuntu is a relatively easy task, the default theme is really the first (and sometimes only) impression people will have of Ubuntu. If it is ugly and/or impractical, it might not matter if there are better alternatives available.

The default 'human theme' is nice, it looks a lot friendlier and consistent that Windows XP, but I think it could use some polish. There are several areas where it wastes screen space.

Afoot
June 17th, 2007, 09:32 PM
While I like the Ubuntu colours, I have to agree with you here. The theme isn't really optimized and there's a lot of space that's just wasted. I hope they do something about it in Gutsy. ;)

forrestcupp
June 17th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Ubuntu colors are pitiful, but it's still the best distro.

I admit to using a Vista theme. The reason I do it is not necessarily because I like it more than any other. I have a 3 year old boy who has been using a computer since before he was 2. He learned on a Windows machine, and he was trained to "click the red X." So I wanted a theme where he could still "click the red X." He hasn't had any trouble using Linux.

karellen
June 17th, 2007, 10:32 PM
is this really so important to expand on a 6 pages thread? it's just a theme, for god's sake. a default theme. if you don't like it, change it and that's all!...
sometimes I have the feeling we're talking about quantum physics or kernel's architecture, not some colors and icons. people are different, so they have different tastes. how hard is that to understand? somebody finds the default ubuntu theme ugly, someone else finds it just perfect. it's simple
and for the thread op: was really necessary to upload all those thumbnails just to show us a mac os x theme?...I'm pretty sure everyone around here knows well what you were talking about...

LegoAddict
June 18th, 2007, 12:53 AM
I was just test driving MandrivaOne, and the only difference from Human that it has is silvery glossy bars. But it really looks professional.

That said, I like the Human theme. It's very simple, functional, and it gives me alot of space (and it goes with the landscape wallpapers I love). I like the customizable aspect of GTK, but the out of the box theme for Feisty (particularely the icon theme, which is great) isn't that bad. Simple, but if someone doesn't like it they can change it.

raul_
June 18th, 2007, 01:38 AM
I just think you wanted to show off your Desktop :mrgreen:

I honestly can't say anything about it, because I don't emulate any OS, i just make my own Desktop with KDE or Fluxbox.

But I have to admit that the default Gnome theme is ugly, and the default KDE icons are awful.

Hell, i have to admit that I find most of the top themes on KDE/Gnome-look horrible

crimesaucer
June 18th, 2007, 03:19 AM
Vista is UGLY....

really...what's nice about it?

The boring ugly blue green wallpaper with some boring white stripped design....

The over use of Blue/Green Plastic everywhere...the see through Aero windows that aren't anything compared to the Emerald themes...

I think the only thing that looks good are the Vista folders, the black/transparent task bar, the start menu, and the WMP11...maybe if you like that Blue/Green/Clear but after you get sick of it, how many themes are available that are free and work well.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r161/crimesaucer/VistaRTM_Thumb.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r161/crimesaucer/Windows_Vista_5472_desktop.png

These are off of the web...The widgets don't really look that good, and the clear aero windows are alright but, that blue/green color is not that nice...and the whole OS is themed on it. Have you ever looked at the Firefox Vista themes or the IE7 Vista....man that is so ugly.

I don't see why Vista is the theme that everyone thinks is the end all to themes...or even the Apple themes, which I like better, but I think there are many more possibilities for a nice theme...

Whatever...to each their own or whatever...I just think that Vista is about as ugly as you could of gone...maybe if they designed it with different colors I might like it better...but I just don't see it...I even liked the Longhorn early Betas and the WindowsX Vista Transformation packs better...

raul_
June 18th, 2007, 03:22 AM
I just find the Vista theme so dark and depressing :( i feel like it's raining when i spend 15 minutes on my college's Desktops. I just change to ubuntu as soon as I can

crimesaucer
June 18th, 2007, 03:30 AM
I haven't used the real Vista yet, just a transformation shell pack from WindowsX (which I like on my xp), but all of the photos that I've seen of Vista just don't look that good, except for the nice task bar and start menu which I think are very nice.

If they had stayed with that dark theme like the task bar and the start menu, and then also had a few different light themes as included theme choices, I think it would of been a better idea than that Blue/Green look.

Look at the bottom left color of the desktop wallpaper...it looks like pee.

screaminj3sus
June 18th, 2007, 03:32 AM
haha I use Gnome icons and a Mint 2.0 port on my windows (OMG I make my desktop look like linux) On ubuntu I 'm using Murrina Gilouche and Industrial Icons. (SuSE does look VERY good out of the box IMO, Ubuntu needs much work in this Area) I actually think vista looks very good, I don't mind the black theme. I like vista's Icons also.

FuturePilot
June 18th, 2007, 03:38 AM
For the most part I agree. A lot of distro's default themes aren't the greatest. Although I don't think the Human theme is all that bad.;) But I don't think the devs should be overly concerned about themes. They should be more concerned about making a reliable stable OS. That's why we have sites like Gnome-look (http://www.gnome-look.org/) and Gnome art (http://art.gnome.org/)

However there's always some exceptions. Linux Mint out of the box

IMO very beautiful.

crimesaucer
June 18th, 2007, 03:51 AM
I like the default ubuntu Brown/Orange and the xubuntu Blue/Light Blue colors....I just don't like the gray color that they use for the panel and the bg[NORMAL] color of all of the apps.

I think to improve ubuntu's default look, all they would have to do would be to install it with the black glossy panel that everyone installs anyway, and change the gray bg[NORMAL] color or add a gradient box fill to it so it doesn't looks so plane and flat...

I personally would like to see an almost white color instead of the gray, with the brown and orange...maybe even a glossy white for the bg[NORMAL] with the Orange folders Brown wallpaper and a Black task bar, with all icons matching the 4 colors.

I might even try and make a new theme of those colors and put it on Xfce-Looks.org and Gnome-Looks.org...

screaminj3sus
June 18th, 2007, 03:52 AM
For the most part I agree. A lot of distro's default themes aren't the greatest. Although I don't think the Human theme is all that bad.;) But I don't think the devs should be overly concerned about themes. They should be more concerned about making a reliable stable OS. That's why we have sites like Gnome-look (http://www.gnome-look.org/) and Gnome art (http://art.gnome.org/)

IMO very beautiful.

Definitely second that I tried Mint A while ago, they do a VERY good job on the artwork, and I hear it's not even finished yet! and that more artwork is to come on the next release. When i first tried ubuntu (6.06) I liked the orange and thought it was nice, warm and original, but they have hardly changed anything at all.Ubuntu needs something fresh.

Distro's I've tried with the best themes include SuSE, Mint, And PCLOS( Some KDE Love) do great. Ubuntu just doesn't "Stand out"

slimdog360
June 18th, 2007, 03:59 AM
it doesn't matter what you make it look like out of the box, people will still change it, people will still say that they don't like it and people will still post annoying threads about how bad it is.

Dokatz
June 18th, 2007, 04:00 AM
I really like the out of the box ubuntu theme, Especially compared with the out of the box XP theme. I fricking like orange.

crimesaucer
June 18th, 2007, 04:05 AM
it doesn't matter what you make it look like out of the box, people will still change it, people will still say that they don't like it and people will still post annoying threads about how bad it is.

I agree, but that flat gray still could be made to look better...it's what holds back the nice Human folders, the title bars and the wallpaper...change the flat gray and the panel and you have a default theme that looks better then the others...and then you can change it to a better theme form one of the many theme engines...

The flat gray makes default Firefox themes look like crap, and evolution too.

Rebes
June 18th, 2007, 04:16 AM
I think I'm gonna have to call BS on this too.

I use a more or less default Gnome-Ubuntu theme, just switched the window decorations to try some other stuff. I actually like it a LOT.

But when I go to gnome-look.org, the top rated themes in each category, in fact the top 10 rated themes, are NOT rip-offs of other OS's. Check your facts before making blind assumptions.

R

FuturePilot
June 18th, 2007, 04:25 AM
I just don't like the gray color that they use for the panel
+1
I've been thinking that panel is very bland looking for a while now.
Something glossy/shiny/glassy looking would be nice.

crimesaucer
June 18th, 2007, 04:35 AM
...one more point...Say you like the default ubuntu Human theme, but like me, you don't like the light gray color...then a simple change to the gtkrc of the bg[NORMAL] hex code, and you have a new color for your Human theme...it's that easy. Add a vertical gradient box fill and you have some depth in your menu bar.

Don't like a button size, change it...don't like your window theme, use another, or install Emerald/Beryl and make your own window themes, make your own pix map buttons, use different icons packs or make your own...

That's one of my favorites things about Linux...it's all about the effort you put into it, whether you make it yourself, or find it on one of the popular theme sites.

crimesaucer
June 18th, 2007, 04:38 AM
+1
I've been thinking that panel is very bland looking for a while now.
Something glossy/shiny/glassy looking would be nice.

I think a bright, glossy, milky-white color would be perfect.

White looks good with Brown, Orange, Tan, and the Glossy Black panels...it would make it better then all the other OS themes and it would still be Brown/Orange.

Just my opinion.

raul_
June 18th, 2007, 04:39 AM
@ crimesaucer:

i've always been curious. How long do you take to create a theme?

Chilli Bob
June 18th, 2007, 04:42 AM
Just be glad you aren't running Mandriva One. I tried the live CD last night. It's default theme is the most garish orange ever. Worse even than that red Red Hat theme they used to have. (Maybe they still do). On the positive side, the 3D effects worked out of the box on my old Compaq EN with the Intel onboard graphics, they don't work at all in Feisty. After playing with the spinning cube for a few minutes I got bored and went back to Ubuntu. The glossy blue Gnome is fine for me.

crimesaucer
June 18th, 2007, 04:46 AM
@ raul_ - Now that I have my base theme style, I usually can make a new one in a half-hour...just because I have all of my widgets the way I like them, and all I need to do is change the colors...and I have a list of what each hex color changes like bg{NORMAL] or text[INSENSITIVE]....

Then I take about a half-hour making an Emerald theme to go with it...Wallpapers and Skydomes/Cube Caps take a little while to find the right image and fix it with GIMP.

I made a nice easy "HowTo" guide if you want the link.

Mr. Picklesworth
June 18th, 2007, 04:51 AM
Sorry, jumping in late so I have no idea where this thread is right now.
You've made me notice somethnig all of a sudden, though. I have a Clearlooks visual style for my Windows desktop, so I'm special!
On the other hand, I was playing with Beryl and a Vista theme for a while on Ubuntu... but I went back to regular old Human about a week ago and started being productive. (And BOY have the last few weeks been productive! I should really be studying for final final exams, but it is just so tempting to work on my newly bloat-free Ubuntu desktop!)

Bluecircle
June 18th, 2007, 05:07 AM
Sorry, jumping in late so I have no idea where this thread is right now.

Same

Ugh, this thread made Digg.

Ok, I have no desire to make Ubuntu look like Windows or a Mac. I don't like how Windows looks at all, and Macs do look good but there are tons of ways to customize your Linux system. Check any large "Post your Linux desktop screenshot" thread and you'll find that there's more themes that look nice other than Apple's OSX. Why don't you try something new rather than just copying one theme that looks decent?

Maybe people who make their Linux desktop look like Windows or OSX just aren't very original.

RAV TUX
June 18th, 2007, 05:16 AM
The best looking distro out-of-the-box that looks specifically like Linux only and not trying to knock off OSX or Vista is elive (http://www.elivecd.org/) which utilizes e17 (http://www.enlightenment.org/).

If you want a look and feel unique to Linux elive (http://www.elivecd.org/) is leading the way.

http://img469.imageshack.us/img469/1115/thcatfromaliciainwonderbe5.gif

LightB
June 18th, 2007, 05:28 AM
The Mac look is way overrated. Liking it better than something else is a preference, not a universal truth!

dannymichel
June 18th, 2007, 05:42 AM
Source: http://digg.com/linux_unix/Why_Linux_Users_Emulate_Other_Operating_Systems

Apple and Microsoft have entire teams dedicated strictly to the GUI. They hold focus groups to fine tune and hone every aspect of the entire desktop interface. In most cases the colors, buttons, fonts, behaviors, and entire user experience is managed. The interface is designed to reflect the company image and vision, fit into ad campaigns, and most importantly fit a universal mold that is pleasing to their core market. They do allow you to change and customize certain aspects of the desktop - but still keep their brand identification throughout. (not factoring in 3rd party apps and plug ins)

Linux on the other hand is almost the exact opposite. Outside of the people who code the window manager, the desktop for the most part is Ad Hoc. And in sticking with the Ala Carte' theme of linux - you have the option to change just about any aspect of it. There is little to no continuity.

I personally would like to see a managed desktop experience on linux. Take a few cues from Apple and Microsoft on the development process for creating essentially what is the most recognizable portion of your environment. I think just about every one in the world could take a glance at a "Windows" screen or a "OSX" screen and immediately say "Hey, thats Winodws" or "Hey thats Apple". If a Linux team would take the time to understand the marketing elements behind creating their desktop environment - I think people would be less likely to "emulate" others.

Ozeuss
June 18th, 2007, 05:47 AM
This discussion is kinda weird to me. I actually installed the human theme for xp on my dual boot (don't and won't have vista), so when i dual boot into windows (happens rarely nowadays), i wont't puke. i think the default theme looks good and serves the cause. I change the looks of my desktop anyways every couple of month, because i get tired of the one i have.

wolfen69
June 18th, 2007, 05:49 AM
these are good times.........

vexorian
June 18th, 2007, 05:55 AM
You go to GNOME look and click on most downloaded themes and what do you get?

That's a rather jumpy conclussion.

First of all, that mostly means that most people that actually downloaded, a theme did so with those themes.

Second, the download counter started a long ago, I actually think tango has improved stuff greatly, so it is not enough of an accurate statistic anymore.

Third, I have heard the tale of people downloading certain icon theme just so the rest of their social environment doesn't notice it is Linux... not specifically because he likes it better.

Fourth, also count the guys that are simply more used to those themes.

I once downloaded one of them, but it was err.. just for trying, I moved back to crystal...

Right now being this still my first week with feisty I liked human icons but when trying the theme manager I prefered tangarine icons, thus I right now use human window theme + tangerine icons. I think it is pretty , the orange is different and happier in my opinion... I didn't like the previous incarnations of this human theme. It has improved.

Edit: I actually installed tango icons on windows, I think windows is nicer now, I am also using the icolorfolder windows extension that gives it some KDE usefulness. I am planning on making an extension that is gonna allow to add emblems to windows folders! the only problem is that feisty has become addictive this week and I can't boot into windows anymore (psychological reasons)

Linux on the other hand is almost the exact opposite. Outside of the people who code the window manager, the desktop for the most part is Ad Hoc. And in sticking with the Ala Carte' theme of linux - you have the option to change just about any aspect of it. There is little to no continuity.

huh?

Apple and Microsoft have entire teams dedicated strictly to the GUI. They hold focus groups to fine tune and hone every aspect of the entire desktop interface. In most cases the colors, buttons, fonts, behaviors, and entire user experience is managed. The interface is designed to reflect the company image and vision, fit into ad campaigns, and most importantly fit a universal mold that is pleasing to their core market. They do allow you to change and customize certain aspects of the desktop - but still keep their brand identification throughout. (not factoring in 3rd party apps and plug ins)

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/
http://tango.freedesktop.org/Tango_Desktop_Project
http://www.oxygen-icons.org/?cat=3

I personally prefer tango over oxygen because of this:
http://www.oxygen-icons.org/?page_id=2

The initial folder was so beautiful! why did they change it?

--

But yeah, with oxygen getting closer to vista (And in fact I think oxygen looks much better than vista icons, we only need a good windows theme, (And that's actually KDE4 so that's covered as well) I have not lost faith in the community's ability to make nice stuff... yet.

I got to say that a unified Desktop Look is something that (Thank god) would never happen to Linux, we can change everything even the very window manager, that's a good thing, MS and apple locking their OS so you can't change the theme and layout are things that I consider bad. No matter how much people actually think they are nicer.

statictonic
June 18th, 2007, 06:04 AM
This biggest problem I have with GNOME is not how it looks. It is the amount of space that is wasted in various windows. Look at the Save/Open dialog boxes.... Could you have anything unused space? For file folder windows, you can shrink the back/forward toolbar down a bit, but can't do anything about the bloated Location bar.

All this stuff takes up more and more space on the screen for no good reason. Looks wise I'm really not that picky, but I hate wasted space on windows like that.

RAV TUX
June 18th, 2007, 06:13 AM
Source: http://digg.com/linux_unix/Why_Linux_Users_Emulate_Other_Operating_Systems

I personally would like to see a managed desktop experience on linux. Take a few cues from Apple and Microsoft on the development process for creating essentially what is the most recognizable portion of your environment. I think just about every one in the world could take a glance at a "Windows" screen or a "OSX" screen and immediately say "Hey, thats Winodws" or "Hey thats Apple". If a Linux team would take the time to understand the marketing elements behind creating their desktop environment - I think people would be less likely to "emulate" others.

I have to disagree with you on some points here, Linux has dedicated Developers who focus is strictly desktop gui orientated....the most progressive of these is enlightenment (http://www.enlightenment.org/); GNOME, KDE, XFCE also have dedicated teams. Microsoft and Apple could learn a lot from Linux and have. Microsoft regularly employees Linux professionals, like the guy who founded Gentoo.

I would NOT like to see one desktop look for Linux, Linux is about freedom of choice not one look for all....

vexorian
June 18th, 2007, 06:13 AM
This biggest problem I have with GNOME is not how it looks. It is the amount of space that is wasted in various windows. Look at the Save/Open dialog boxes.... Could you have anything unused space? For file folder windows, you can shrink the back/forward toolbar down a bit, but can't do anything about the bloated Location bar.

All this stuff takes up more and more space on the screen for no good reason. Looks wise I'm really not that picky, but I hate wasted space on windows like that.
If there was a god gtk open and save dialogs would get seriously revamped. Right now though I can't experience that specific issue, it is probably resolution dependant, it seems I am the only one using 1200x1024

jayson.rowe
June 18th, 2007, 06:14 AM
hmmm...this _might_ be my first post here - can't remember ATM...

Anyway - I kind of agree w/ the original poster (i think...) - why would you want to load Ubuntu, and then spend hours making it look like a different OS?

Changing to something other than the default, I _can_ see, however, I would never completely try to emulate another OS - why not just run the system??

Anyway - I changed from "Human" but I didn't change far - I just don't like the orange/brown - speaking of psych effects, it really just irritates me - puts me in a bad mood...

Here's my setup - wallpaper I found on gnome-art.org, and "clearlooks" as the theme...I also have Compiz installed, and I used "Compiz Settings Manager" to get to and change some of the effects, as I installed the compiz-extra package...

Even so, it's nothing fancy, but it makes me feel good :)

raul_
June 18th, 2007, 06:17 AM
Here's my setup - wallpaper I found on gnome-art.org, and "clearlooks" as the theme...I also have Compiz installed, and I used "Compiz Settings Manager" to get to and change some of the effects, as I installed the compiz-extra package...

Even so, it's nothing fancy, but it makes me feel good :)

You should stop by here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=460604

Alteran
June 18th, 2007, 06:44 AM
I do agree very much that the Default GNOME theme is very ugly, and for that matter the default KDE theme aswell. I personally like my theme to be functional and easy on the eyes (thus the black) yet beautiful at the same time.

crimesaucer
June 18th, 2007, 07:11 AM
I do agree very much that the Default GNOME theme is very ugly, and for that matter the default KDE theme aswell. I personally like my theme to be functional and easy on the eyes (thus the black) yet beautiful at the same time.

I disagree and agree at the same time. The theme it's self is not ugly, the buttons, the actual gtkrc and all of the widgets used are fine...it's the bg[NORMAL] that makes it into a boring gray color...As for the window themes and the folders, they all look good, so does the wallpaper...then all that's needed is a new panel...

It's just that the one bg[NORMAL] setting makes up the majority of the theme color and how all apps will look...the gray color looks too much like Windows running in safemodeF8.

I don't see why they don't just make a nice glossy theme that looks better than Windows and OSX...and then include the simple themes (the current default themes) that some people like...but as for all of these blogs that are submitted to sites like digg.com, they would get more ubuntu users if the thing looked better... because we all know it works better.

All that's needed is a glossy panel included with the default install, like Ubuntu Studio did...and people will talk about the nice look...also a better bg[NORMAL] color...maybe a touch up on some of the icons like the home icon....why not make it with the same Human orange gloss look...same as the download icon and other icons that don't match the orange Human gloss folders.

ButteBlues
June 18th, 2007, 09:52 AM
I too agree about dark grey bg[normal] colors.

That's the biggest reason why I use Gilouche over clearlooks - the lighter bg[normal] makes a huge difference, in my mind.

Polygon
June 18th, 2007, 10:32 AM
i for one love the default human theme. I had it as my theme for a very long time before i switched to a more dark one.

Spr0k3t
June 18th, 2007, 12:00 PM
I hate the Mac look... the only thing I like about Mac is that they put the close button in the correct location, that's about it. The windows themes are horrid. I find it sad that I prefer the Windows2000 look over any of their themes they have to offer. I find one of Emerald's many default themes to be perfect for what I want. Black, and not overbearing dark.

cunawarit
June 18th, 2007, 12:48 PM

IMO very beautiful.

Now that I do like! Clean, sharp, neat, and devoid of fluff.

beefcurry
June 18th, 2007, 12:59 PM
I actually like the Ubuntu Human theme, but I do change all my icons to Tango anyway. Simple, flat, ELEGANT :).

dannymichel
June 18th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Now this kind of thinking is what I'm talking about.
http://www.gnome-look.org/CONTENT/content-files/45837-desk-internet.svg
Nicely done by the creator.
Something like that would draw people to Ubuntu.

mips
June 18th, 2007, 03:25 PM
I tried the Baghira KDE theme a while back but whent back after a short while.

My favourite theme is still the Sabayon 3.3 one. Current version is to dark for my liking.

ComplexNumber
June 18th, 2007, 03:33 PM
thats more a redesign of the desktop rather than something that can be done with the present gtk.....unless you're referring only to the colours used.

ThinkBuntu
June 18th, 2007, 03:42 PM
I noticed the images in the OP's post use Foresight's default background. Cool.

arbulus
June 18th, 2007, 03:59 PM
I think it often is a matter of what you are used to. Some new Ubuntu users come from Windows, others come from Mac. I come from a Mac. when I started using Ubuntu, I made an OS X looking dock out of the bottom panel and launchers, and put the menu and status stuff up top. It's just a configuration of the desktop that I felt comforatable with because I've used it for so long.

Lately, I've moved away from that. I do love the freedom that Linux gives us for customization and it wonderful that you CAN make it whatever you like. My configuration now looks nothing like it did when I first started. And in a month, it may look totally different again.

I think that having a nice looking default theme is a good thing because eye candy is what attracts a large number of new users. However, the default theme is just that: default. And, everyone is going to change it to suit their comforts. The best thing about it is that they can.

vexorian
June 18th, 2007, 04:47 PM
what's bg[NORMAL] ? I mean seriously.

lert
June 18th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Themes are some pictures combining together and may give you some surprise at your first glance. Using them or not, I think, is not a big deal.

ComplexNumber
June 18th, 2007, 05:24 PM
thats the colour that's used for the main background of applications (and a few other things).

crimesaucer
June 18th, 2007, 10:26 PM

This is called a gtkrc:

# Ubuntu Human Colorscheme
#
# Authors:
# Richard Stellingwerff <remenic@gmail.com>
# Daniel Borgmann <daniel.borgmann@gmail.com>
# Billy Cantrell <bvcmdk@yahoo.com>
#
# Feel free to modify and share!

gtk-icon-sizes = "panel-menu=24,24"

style "clearlooks-default"
{
GtkButton ::default_border = { 0, 0, 0, 0 }
GtkRange ::trough_border = 0
GtkPaned ::handle_size = 6
GtkRange ::slider_width = 15
GtkRange ::stepper_size = 15

GtkScrollbar ::min_slider_length = 35
GtkCheckButton ::indicator_size = 14
GtkMenuBar ::internal-padding = 0
GtkTreeView ::expander_size = 14
GtkExpander ::expander_size = 16
GtkScale ::slider-length = 31
# GtkToolbar ::button-relief = GTK_RELIEF_NORMAL
# GtkMenuBar ::shadow-type = GTK_SHADOW_OUT
# GtkScrollbar ::has-secondary-forward-stepper = 1
# GtkScrollbar ::has-secondary-backward-stepper = 1

GtkButton ::child-displacement-x = 0
GtkButton ::child-displacement-y = 0

xthickness = 1
ythickness = 1

GtkTreeView::odd_row_color = "#F5F2ED"
GtkTreeView::even_row_color = "#FAF9F7"

fg[NORMAL] = "#101010"
fg[PRELIGHT] = "#000000"
fg[ACTIVE] = "#000000"
fg[SELECTED] = "#ffffff"
fg[INSENSITIVE] = "#B3AFAB"

bg[NORMAL] = "#efebe7"
bg[PRELIGHT] = "#f5f3f0"
bg[ACTIVE] = "#E1D9D1"
bg[SELECTED] = "#D6722D"
bg[INSENSITIVE] = "#EBE7E3"

base[NORMAL] = "#ffffff"
base[PRELIGHT] = "#ffffff"
base[ACTIVE] = "#E1D9D1"
base[SELECTED] = "#FFD799"
base[INSENSITIVE] = "#EBE7E3"

text[NORMAL] = "#000000"
text[PRELIGHT] = "#000000"
text[ACTIVE] = "#000000"
text[SELECTED] = "#000000"
text[INSENSITIVE] = "#B3AFAB"

engine "ubuntulooks"
{
menubarstyle = 2 # 0 = flat, 1 = sunken, 2 = flat gradient
menuitemstyle = 1 # 0 = flat, 1 = 3d-ish (gradient), 2 = 3d-ish (button)
listviewitemstyle = 1 # 0 = flat, 1 = 3d-ish (gradient)
progressbarstyle = 1 # 0 = candy bar, 1 = fancy candy bar, 2 = flat
animation = FALSE
}
}

# Evolution (and some deprecated widgets) use bg and fg for its listview instead of
# base and text like they should, so we override it.
style "evolution-hack" = "clearlooks-default"
{
bg[ACTIVE] = "#E1D9D1"
bg[SELECTED] = "#FFD799"
fg[ACTIVE] = "#000000"
fg[SELECTED] = "#000000"
}

# Bright orange highlights only for selected widgets
style "clearlooks-orange" = "clearlooks-default"
{
bg[SELECTED] = "#FF6D0C"
}

style "clearlooks-wide" = "clearlooks-default"
{
xthickness = 2
ythickness = 2
}
style "clearlooks-wide-orange" = "clearlooks-wide"
{
bg[SELECTED] = "#FF6D0C"
}

style "clearlooks-wider" = "clearlooks-default"
{
xthickness = 3
ythickness = 3
}
style "clearlooks-wider-orange" = "clearlooks-wider"
{
bg[SELECTED] = "#FF6D0C"
}

style "clearlooks-button" = "clearlooks-wider-orange"
{
bg[PRELIGHT] = "#f5f3f0"
bg[ACTIVE] = "#d9d3cc"
}

style "clearlooks-notebook" = "clearlooks-wide-orange"
{
bg[NORMAL] = "#efebe5"
bg[ACTIVE] = "#d0c8c1"
bg[INSENSITIVE] = "#efebe5"
}

style "clearlooks-tasklist" = "clearlooks-default"
{
xthickness = 5
ythickness = 3
}

style "clearlooks-menu" = "clearlooks-default"
{
xthickness = 2
ythickness = 1
bg[NORMAL] = "#f8f5f2"
}

style "clearlooks-menubar-item" = "clearlooks-button"
{
fg[PRELIGHT] = "#000000"
}

style "clearlooks-menu-item" = "clearlooks-default"
{
xthickness = 2
ythickness = 3
bg[SELECTED] = "#FFD799"
fg[PRELIGHT] = "#000000"
}

style "clearlooks-tree" = "clearlooks-wide"
{
}

style "clearlooks-frame-title" = "clearlooks-default"
{
fg[NORMAL] = "#404040"
}

style "clearlooks-tooltips" = "clearlooks-default"
{
xthickness = 4
ythickness = 4
bg[NORMAL] = { 1.0,1.0,0.75 }
}

style "clearlooks-progressbar" = "clearlooks-wide-orange"
{
xthickness = 2
ythickness = 2
fg[PRELIGHT] = "#ffffff"
}

style "clearlooks-combo" = "clearlooks-button"
{
}

style "clearlooks-check" = "clearlooks-button"
{
}

style "clearlooks-range" = "clearlooks-wide-orange"
{
}

style "metacity-frame" = "clearlooks-default"
{
bg[SELECTED] = "#CC863E"
}

style "extra-view-widgets" = "clearlooks-default"
{
bg[NORMAL] = "#F5C07F"
}

# widget styles
class "GtkWidget" style "clearlooks-default"
class "GtkButton" style "clearlooks-button"
class "GtkCombo" style "clearlooks-button"
class "GtkRange" style "clearlooks-range"
class "GtkFrame" style "clearlooks-wide"
class "GtkMenu" style "clearlooks-menu"
class "GtkEntry" style "clearlooks-wider-orange"
class "GtkMenuItem" style "clearlooks-menu-item"
class "GtkNotebook" style "clearlooks-notebook"
class "GtkProgressBar" style "clearlooks-progressbar"
class "MetaFrames" style "metacity-frame"
class "GtkWindow" style "metacity-frame"

class "GtkCheckButton" style "clearlooks-check"
class "GtkRadioButton" style "clearlooks-check"

widget_class "*MenuItem.*" style "clearlooks-menu-item"
widget_class "*MenuItem.*ProgressBar*" style "clearlooks-default"

# combobox stuff
widget_class "*.GtkComboBox.GtkButton" style "clearlooks-combo"
widget_class "*.GtkCombo.GtkButton" style "clearlooks-combo"
# tooltips stuff
widget_class "*.tooltips.*.GtkToggleButton" style "clearlooks-tasklist"
widget "gtk-tooltips" style "clearlooks-tooltips"

# treeview stuff
widget_class "*.GtkTreeView.GtkButton" style "clearlooks-tree"
widget_class "*.GtkCTree.GtkButton" style "clearlooks-tree"
widget_class "*.GtkList.GtkButton" style "clearlooks-tree"
widget_class "*.GtkCList.GtkButton" style "clearlooks-tree"
widget_class "*.GtkFrame.GtkLabel" style "clearlooks-frame-title"

# notebook stuff
widget_class "*.GtkNotebook.*.GtkEventBox" style "clearlooks-notebook"
widget_class "*.GtkNotebook.*.GtkViewport" style "clearlooks-notebook"

# these should really use base and text colors instead
widget_class "*GtkCTree*" style "evolution-hack"
widget_class "*GtkList*" style "evolution-hack"
widget_class "*GtkCList*" style "evolution-hack"
widget_class "*.ETree.*" style "evolution-hack"

widget "*.nautilus-extra-view-widget" style:highest "extra-view-widgets"

This is the default settings for you Ubuntu Human Theme in your gtkrc:

style "clearlooks-default"
{
GtkButton ::default_border = { 0, 0, 0, 0 }
GtkRange ::trough_border = 0
GtkPaned ::handle_size = 6
GtkRange ::slider_width = 15
GtkRange ::stepper_size = 15

GtkScrollbar ::min_slider_length = 35
GtkCheckButton ::indicator_size = 14
GtkMenuBar ::internal-padding = 0
GtkTreeView ::expander_size = 14
GtkExpander ::expander_size = 16
GtkScale ::slider-length = 31
# GtkToolbar ::button-relief = GTK_RELIEF_NORMAL
# GtkMenuBar ::shadow-type = GTK_SHADOW_OUT
# GtkScrollbar ::has-secondary-forward-stepper = 1
# GtkScrollbar ::has-secondary-backward-stepper = 1

GtkButton ::child-displacement-x = 0
GtkButton ::child-displacement-y = 0

xthickness = 1
ythickness = 1

GtkTreeView::odd_row_color = "#F5F2ED"
GtkTreeView::even_row_color = "#FAF9F7"

fg[NORMAL] = "#101010"
fg[PRELIGHT] = "#000000"
fg[ACTIVE] = "#000000"
fg[SELECTED] = "#ffffff"
fg[INSENSITIVE] = "#B3AFAB"

bg[NORMAL] = "#efebe7"
bg[PRELIGHT] = "#f5f3f0"
bg[ACTIVE] = "#E1D9D1"
bg[SELECTED] = "#D6722D"
bg[INSENSITIVE] = "#EBE7E3"

base[NORMAL] = "#ffffff"
base[PRELIGHT] = "#ffffff"
base[ACTIVE] = "#E1D9D1"
base[SELECTED] = "#FFD799"
base[INSENSITIVE] = "#EBE7E3"

text[NORMAL] = "#000000"
text[ACTIVE] = "#000000"
text[SELECTED] = "#000000"
text[INSENSITIVE] = "#B3AFAB"

engine "ubuntulooks"
{
menubarstyle = 2 # 0 = flat, 1 = sunken, 2 = flat gradient
menuitemstyle = 1 # 0 = flat, 1 = 3d-ish (gradient), 2 = 3d-ish (button)
listviewitemstyle = 1 # 0 = flat, 1 = 3d-ish (gradient)
progressbarstyle = 1 # 0 = candy bar, 1 = fancy candy bar, 2 = flat
animation = FALSE
}
}

This is the bg[NORMAL] setting:

bg[NORMAL] = "#efebe7"

....that is the color that is the flat gray used on everything...the color of your Firefox toolbars/menubar, the color of your File System toolbars/menubars...the color of your top and bottom panels with your menu button and your launchers...it is the gray that looks very basic and plain....

...changing your own theme colors isn't that difficult, this is my current homemade theme:

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r161/crimesaucer/Screenshot-1-6.png
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r161/crimesaucer/Screenshot-1-7.png

bigfinch4991
June 19th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Thank you for this thread! I think the only way we can evolve as a community and operating system is to listen and learn. Please don't take this badly, but it is true. The brown theme is very intimidating despite what you and I might think to the new users of Linux. Many complain how people don't use linux and stick with crappy microsoft. Well...believe it or not, this is why they hesitate to switch. If it's so simple to customize it, just agree to changing the theme to something more modern, current, bright and fresh. It's almost as if some of you guys don't want people to find out about and love linux. Sort of selfish and backwards it seems to me. No disrespect to any of the longstanding Linux fans, you guys are so friendly to newbies as I was 5 years ago. But we must now evolve and show that Ubuntu is just as current in appearance as it is in code.

vexorian
June 19th, 2007, 12:36 AM
just agree to changing the theme to something more modern, current, bright and fresh

Are we speaking about the same thing? First of all human is vibrant orange, not brown, and to me it looks way more modern, current, bright and fresh than the old windows XP icon, perhaps I am so entirely wrong?

You are right, it is very easy to change, and there you have your issue, we will never have a default theme that will make everyone happy...

However I am sure Canonical (http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/63) Already knows about this issue, thus we can only wait and see, but I seriously don't want it to try to mimic neither Mac OS/X nor vista, we should avoid anything that would make it look like a "cheap clone" it is a Free alternative.

crimesaucer: thanks for the explanation, any suggestion as a replacement for the pale gray color? It looks like your theme is using some gradient instead of it? Mind sharing a little more knowledge?

juxtaposed
June 19th, 2007, 12:57 AM

That's amazing!

Simple, but integrated and original.

crimesaucer
June 19th, 2007, 01:55 AM
crimesaucer: thanks for the explanation, any suggestion as a replacement for the pale gray color? It looks like your theme is using some gradient instead of it? Mind sharing a little more knowledge?

I use a vertical gradient boxfill for my menubar and toolbar...as well as all of my button widgets and menus.

I can explain it for xubuntu and the xfce engine, but I haven't tried to write for the ubuntulooks engine since I have only used xubuntu and xfce...I thought it should be the same for gradients, but after looking at it I'm not too sure if I can write it the same way.

If anybody knows about the ubuntulooks engine then please let me know if gradients can be written the same way as in the xfce engine.

This is a link to a theme that I uploaded onto Xfce-Look.org: http://www.xfce-look.org/content/show.php/Xfce-milk?content=58257

this is the gtkrc for that theme Xfce-milk that use my gradient boxfill with no divider lines:

# xfce-milk from crimesaucer, gradients, and rounded buttons.
#

gtk-can-change-accels = 1
gtk-menu-drop-shadow = 1
gtk-menu-shadow-delay = 100

style "default"
{
GtkButton::default_border = {0, 0, 0, 0}
GtkButton::default_outside_border = {0, 0, 0, 0}
GtkButton::default_spacing = 10
GtkButton::focus-line-width = 1
GtkButton::focus-padding = 0
GtkCheckButton::indicator_size = 15
GtkMenuBar::shadow_type = out
GtkMenuItem::selected_shadow_type = out
GtkPaned::handle_full_size = 1
GtkPaned::handle_size = 8
GtkRadioButton::indicator_size = 15
GtkRange::slider_width = 15
GtkRange::stepper_size = 15
GtkRange::stepper_spacing = 0
GtkRange::trough_border = 0
GtkScrollbar::min_slider_length = 37
GtkToolbar::shadow_type = out
GtkWidget::focus-line-width = 1
GtkWidget::focus_padding = 2
GtkWidget::interior_focus = 5
GtkWidget::internal_padding = 0

xthickness = 0
ythickness = 0

fg[NORMAL] = "#000000"
fg[ACTIVE] = "#000000"
fg[PRELIGHT] = "#F0F2E7"
fg[SELECTED] = "#F0F2E7"
fg[INSENSITIVE] = "#4b4440"

bg[NORMAL] = "#F0F2E7"
bg[ACTIVE] = "#6F6D68"
bg[PRELIGHT] = "#6F6D68"
bg[SELECTED] = "#3A3931"
bg[INSENSITIVE] = "#F0F2E7"

text[NORMAL] = "#000000"
text[ACTIVE] = "#000000"
text[PRELIGHT] = "#F0F2E7"
text[SELECTED] = "#F0F2E7"
text[INSENSITIVE] = "#4b4440"

base[NORMAL] = "#6F6D68"
base[ACTIVE] = "#F0F2E7"
base[PRELIGHT] = "#3A3931"
base[SELECTED] = "#3A3931"
base[INSENSITIVE] = "#F0F2E7"

engine "xfce"
{
grip_style = slide
smooth_edge = true
boxfill
{
fill_style = gradient
orientation = vertical
shade_start = 0.83
shade_end = 1.00
}
}
}
widget_class "*" style "default"

style "colored" = "default"
{
xthickness = 4
ythickness = 4

bg[ACTIVE] = "#6F6D68"
bg[PRELIGHT] = "#3A3931"

fg[ACTIVE] = "#F0F2E7"
fg[PRELIGHT] = "#F0F2E7"

text[ACTIVE] = "#000000"
text[PRELIGHT] = "#F0F2E7"

engine "xfce"
{
smooth_edge = true
grip_style = slide
boxfill
{
fill_style = gradient
orientation = vertical
shade_start = 1.24
shade_end = 0.83
}
}
}

widget_class "*Entry*" style "colored"
class "*Entry*" style "colored"
widget_class "*Text*" style "colored"
class "*Text*" style "colored"
widget_class "*List*" style "colored"
class "*List*" style "colored"

style "menubar" = "colored"
{
xthickness = 1
ythickness = 0

engine "xfce"
{
smooth_edge = true
grip_style = slide
boxfill
{

fill_style = gradient
orientation = vertical
shade_start = 0.73
shade_end = 0.83
}
}
}

widget_class "*BonoboDockItem" style "menubar"
class "*BonoboDockItem" style "menubar"
widget_class "*HandleBox" style "menubar"
class "*HandleBox" style "menubar"
widget_class "*ToolBar" style "menubar"
class "*ToolBar" style "menubar"
widget_class "*MenuBar" style "menubar"
class "*MenuBar" style "menubar"

style "menuitem" = "colored"
{
xthickness = 2
ythickness = 2

engine "xfce"
{
smooth_edge = true
grip_style = slide
boxfill
{
fill_style = gradient
orientation = vertical
shade_start = 1.73
shade_end = 0.93
}
}
}

widget_class "*MenuItem*" style "menuitem"
class "*MenuItem*" style "menuitem"

style "scrollbar" = "default"
{
xthickness = 0
ythickness = 1
engine "xfce"
{
smooth_edge = true
grip_style = slide
boxfill
{
fill_style = gradient
orientation = auto
shade_start = 1.73
shade_end = 0.60
}
}
}
widget_class "*Scrollbar*" style "scrollbar"
class "*Scrollbar*" style "scrollbar"
widget_class "*GtkProgress*" style "scrollbar"
class "*GtkProgress*" style "scrollbar"

style "button" = "colored"
{
xthickness = 4
ythickness = 4

engine "xfce"
{
smooth_edge = true
grip_style = slide
boxfill
{
fill_style = gradient
orientation = vertical
shade_start = 1.92
shade_end = 0.82
}
}
}
widget_class "*Button*" style "button"
class "*Button*" style "button"
widget_class "*button*" style "button"
class "*button*" style "button"
widget_class "*OptionMenu*" style "button"
class "*OptionMenu*" style "button"
widget_class "*Tree*" style "button"
class "*Tree*" style "button"
widget_class "*GtkScale*" style "button"
class "*GtkScale*" style "button"

widget_class "*CheckButton*" style "default"
class "*CheckButton*" style "default"
widget_class "*RadioButton*" style "default"
class "*RadioButton*" style "default"

# This is for the window borders (xfwm4 & metacity)
#
style "titlebar" = "default"
{
bg[SELECTED] = "#3A3931"
fg[SELECTED] = "#6F6D68"
bg[INSENSITIVE] = "#6F6D68"
fg[INSENSITIVE] = "#F0F2E7"
}

widget "xfwm" style "titlebar"
class "MetaFrames" style "titlebar"
widget_class "MetaFrames" style "titlebar"

So...what I did to make this was I found a theme that I liked, and then played around with it some, and then studied it some more and tried different things through trial and error...then I wrote my findings down and continued messing around with the theme until I got to the point I'm at now...and I'm still learning new stuff everyday.

I've only been on Linux since October2006, and I don't have much of a background on computers either.

I wrote a page describing what I had done, but it isn't written that well and I have changed so many of the things that I do now that I don't like to link it to people now, so I'm going to write a new page with easier instructions to follow.

EDIT: There is also a nice program in Synaptic called "Agave" that creates matching color pallets. Just find a color you like, use the color dropper to take the color off of the web page or picture, then adjust the brightness or levels of saturations...GIMP is also a nice way to pick new colors.

If your use xfce xubuntu, you can always check out one of the default themes called Xfce-winter and compare my gtkrc with that one, which is the one that I first started with...and you can see the things that I have tried that worked well.

plb
June 19th, 2007, 02:59 AM
People make their desks look like Vista and OSX because it's the latest trend, OSX has become highly popular over the last few months and because Vista is new, people also want a bit of that pie.

People have been doing mac themes for years. I remember when fluxbox first came out around 6 or 7 years ago out and there was a ton of aqua themes for it...you can goto themes.freshmeat.net and look for yourself. I never particularly liked them though.

plb
June 19th, 2007, 03:02 AM
The best looking distro out-of-the-box that looks specifically like Linux only and not trying to knock off OSX or Vista is elive (http://www.elivecd.org/) which utilizes e17 (http://www.enlightenment.org/).

If you want a look and feel unique to Linux elive (http://www.elivecd.org/) is leading the way.

e has some genuine artists working on it I'd say. e16 put everything to shame back in the day...but you did need a higher end computer to use it.

Adrenal
June 19th, 2007, 03:44 AM
dannymichel, here's an idea - how about you create a theme that magically pleases everyone?
I know, I know, it will take some time to do, but feel free to save time by not posting in this thread until it's done.

Now remember, this has to please everyone and has to be unique.

ComplexNumber
June 19th, 2007, 04:20 AM
dannymichel, here's an idea - how about you create a theme that magically pleases everyone?
I know, I know, it will take some time to do, but feel free to save time by not posting in this thread until it's done.

Now remember, this has to please everyone and has to be unique.
see this thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2871487#post2871487

Mr. Picklesworth
June 19th, 2007, 04:48 AM
It's not just artwork. That has to be remembered.
One reason that theme's image in ComplexNumber's link looks so nice is because of the layout. The horizontal desktop icons strike me as more natural and more attractive. They would make an interesting default.
Of course, it is helped immensely by the beautiful theme, but that is besides my point here...

I have no links, but somewhere in the Feisty development discussions there is talk of someone's really innovative Gnome desktop mockups, with stuff such as expanding file containers on the desktop (much like "stacks" coming in Mac OS), a productive welcome screen, and a rejuvinated main menu, all built to sit snugly upon the desktop background.

Very pretty! This is beyond just themes, though. Themes give us colours, window borders and icons. They make the windows that are already there change their appearance, but they do not change their presence. This is not everything!
To get a really good visual appearance needs talented visual design for the entire Gnome desktop. Maybe some willing people could start a visual design project for Gnome, if there isn't one already, that acts to inspire, encourage and assist the development of a visually rich desktop experience?
With the failure of even all those Vista and Mac OS clones to actually duplicate the experience of those desktops, I think it is obvious that more must be done, and that work must be a step beyond the conventional window decorations adjustments people seem so caught up on.

Adrenal
June 19th, 2007, 05:38 AM
I don't understand though. Apperently, everyone else sucks at theming due to the absence of dannymichel's leadership and wisdom. How could we possibly make a decent theme without his guiding us?

phrostbyte
June 19th, 2007, 06:28 AM
Linux (clearlooks) theme for Windows XP
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/18591720/

Whats your point?

PS: I think Windows XP looks much better with that theme.

Ripfox
June 19th, 2007, 07:00 AM
Yea if you type "mac" or "vista" into the searchbar on gnomelook, you will get those types of themes for your screenshot you posted. I see lots of different looks around, and I fail to see your point, myself. Install the theme you like to look at, I change mine almost every 3 days! :p

crimesaucer
June 19th, 2007, 07:45 AM
For me, the most important thing is how Firefox looks...then I like everything else to match it...

Rui Pais
June 19th, 2007, 09:05 AM
e has some genuine artists working on it I'd say. e16 put everything to shame back in the day...but you did need a higher end computer to use it.

You need a high end computer to use e17 or enlightenment? :shock:
Those are lighter then xfce4 and e17 is only slight heavier the fluxbox or openbox (and offers a lot more... since it's almost a full DE)

You should try e17 before talk about it ;) is surprising the eyecandy that you can get with so little memory waste :)

airtonix
June 23rd, 2007, 03:57 AM
E17: but it keeps crashing at the drop of hat...

maagimies
June 23rd, 2007, 05:05 AM
You need a high end computer to use e17 or enlightenment? :shock:
Those are lighter then xfce4 and e17 is only slight heavier the fluxbox or openbox (and offers a lot more... since it's almost a full DE)

You should try e17 before talk about it ;) is surprising the eyecandy that you can get with so little memory waste :)Memory usage is very nice on E17, but the cpu usage was awful, and I often got laggy effects.
Designing programs to use more memory than cpu is better as memory is far more cheap to upgrade.

Rui Pais
June 23rd, 2007, 12:03 PM
Memory usage is very nice on E17, but the cpu usage was awful, and I often got laggy effects.
Designing programs to use more memory than cpu is better as memory is far more cheap to upgrade.

well, i don't find any specific large cpu usage...
there are thing that will waste cpu. Bad done animated backgrounds are one of the famous cpu eaters (i remember one specially with a metal like background and a cristal ball that change color that it was awful), some transitions background and fade effects can do it to.
It's all a matter of tune and chose correct ones.

E17: but it keeps crashing at the drop of hat...
Well i use e17 as my unique desktop for 2 years now, and if that happens a lot at the beginning, is been very stable, and i don't mean for a alpha product. I don't remember last time i saw a crash, neither on dapper, edgy nor now in feisty. Much more stable, in my case, then Gnome (the one my wife use) in Edgy...

Most high unstables e17s i seen reported are the result of mixed installations... there are 2 or 3 repos with debs, the offical download package page updated weekly or so, and several scripts to do it from cvs.
Mix them, it's granted trouble.

I only advice installation with a method that install *all* e17 under /opt/ so it can be easy wiped off and never, *never* mixed with system (neither /usr/local/lib and certainly not at /usr/lib).
And if an installation fails, one must be sure that he/she can completely clean it and restart from a zero state.

fyllekajan
June 23rd, 2007, 12:36 PM
You should try e17 before talk about it ;)
LOL. You don't have a clue do you :)

gumjo
July 3rd, 2007, 07:00 AM
I don't understand though. Apperently, everyone else sucks at theming due to the absence of dannymichel's leadership and wisdom. How could we possibly make a decent theme without his guiding us?

I don't understand the point of being sarcastic towards his comments. He has some very valid points to make which the Linux community as a whole should be appreciative of hearing. But that's just what I think. If a Linux distro is to be geared towards the mainstream, then it has to, by default - look at least comparable to the most popular offerings (that is, Vista and OSX). And out of the box, Ubuntu fails in that department. Not only in theme, but font rendering as well which is crucial to a good looking setup. Even other distros like OpenSuse and PCLinuxOS look much better, even though in terms of functionality Ubuntu is the best. The default theme in Ubuntu really put me off when I used it, but I customized it to my liking and can say it can easily match Vista and OSX - without looking anything like them. The point to make here is that, while the default Ubuntu setup looks terrible (somebody best described the theme as the internals of the human body, brings a new perspective to the cream/brown tones to theme) - Linux itself allows you the freedom to customize it to the very core of the system - something that is direly missing from proprietary OS like Vista and OSX (the latter of which is quite restrictive in that department). Anyhow, I feel that as Ubuntu/Linux grows more popular, we will see more artistic interest in the OS. For now, it's largely used by programmers, or people who simply want to be productive - as indicated in the thread.

tehhaxorr
July 3rd, 2007, 11:51 AM
What the hell are you talking about Breathing room.... Have you ever used Vista? The bloody borders take up more room than ANY existing window decorator...

the bored majority
July 16th, 2007, 03:08 PM
pretty good topic.

for myself though i'd say i was trying to replicate the look of a linux desktop (particular blackbox) years ago when litestep was first released.

the windows desktop has ALWAYS felt cluttered to me; vista in particular. i've used litestep on my win'98 right up until that box died. the day litestep became compatible with xp i made the switch. now i've been using ubuntu and other linux distros since about dec 2006 and love the customizing options that the different window manager developers have put into their applications. the only reason i have't switched my main xp box to ubuntu is because no flavor of linux will boot on it (2001 built intel board. 2.4; 1GB RAM 400GB HDD space) nice machine wasting away. i use it as a capture box anyways with virtualdub.

now the reason i think people try to make vista / windows themes is because of familiarity. i know quite a few people who simply won't use linux/ubuntu because it doesn't "look" right to them. simply switching their theme over to a windows look-a-like has helped me convert lots of linux-scares-me people to using ubuntu and thus freeing them from windows and ridiculous licensing fees :) ooo is the way to go :p

again, interesting topic.

jclmusic
July 16th, 2007, 04:33 PM
here's mine. i don't perosnally like ubuntu's default theme much, but the great strength of linux is that it doesn't matter because u can change anything! i mean try changing themes in windows, oh sorry u can't be 'trusted'.

i also personally am not too keen on mac themes, and i absolutely hate vista themes!

vexorian
July 16th, 2007, 10:28 PM
hey try this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=489082

either way, I think most of your style is great, but have you tried blubuntu theme for gtk? You can try getting the blubunty theme from synaptic and then just change the controls' theme. Sorry if you tried and didn't like it, but I think that gray's tone is not right for the rest of the theme.

cobrn1
July 17th, 2007, 05:22 PM
I don't like the look of ubuntu when you first start it up - brown doesn't appeal to me... However, I do appreciate the simplicity of it. It makes it much easier when I go and change everything (as inevitably always happens).

It would be nice to make the default desktop look nicer. Blue is a nice colour (sorry that MS use it too, but blue is just classy, cool and professional looking).

The vista interface is really nice (IMO) and lots of people agree, which is why you have so many vista (and mac) themes, but they tend to be tweaked by each person until they find something they really like, ie, I might download the vista theme, but I'm open to modifying it a little to better suit my tastes.

BTW, have you seen the standard theme for ubuntu studio edition. Now THAT is classy!

Depressed Man
July 17th, 2007, 06:44 PM
I've never really liked any of the themes in any of the OSs. Windows XP I've had to mod the hell out of it to get it to look what I want to (plus some applications) and then same with Linux. I was still in the process of modifying Vista before I switched mostly into Ubuntu (so I stopped). Well it doesn't require as much tinkering as it requires applications like Kiba Dock. Even Max OSX. Ugh, I really despite Apple White. And it's harder to modify some parts of it. Like the universal menu bar. >.<

vexorian
July 17th, 2007, 07:25 PM
It would be nice to make the default desktop look nicer. Blue is a nice colour (sorry that MS use it too, but blue is just classy, cool and professional looking).

could we stop this nonsense? I mean, there is really no good reason to use blue... IT could be green , yellow, orange or brown, it does not depend on the color, you can get proffesional looking from brown, seriously...

Frak
July 17th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Linux is free, Gnome is free, X is free (freedom people)
If you want to change it, you can.
No one is forcing you to use the default theme, the default is really just the fake photo you have in a new picture frame, you are encouraged to change that photo with something of your own, or something you like.

cobrn1
July 17th, 2007, 09:57 PM
could we stop this nonsense? I mean, there is really no good reason to use blue... IT could be green , yellow, orange or brown, it does not depend on the color, you can get proffesional looking from brown, seriously...

Actually, no. Blue is a nice calming colour, a relaxing colour, a cool (in both senses of the word) colour. It always looks good and it does look professional, and get you in the right, calm frame of mind for work, or fun.

Green is not so relaxing or cool looking. Red promotes violence (anybody seen the scrubs ep where kelso gives ted the red tie... classic...) And brown, well, it's hardly got the nicest things to its name...

Somehow, ubuntu manages to make brown look good. But I prefer blue. You could probably make brown look professional, but I like blue. Profeeesionalism doesn't depend on colour (as long as it isn't pink), but I LIKE FING BLUE!!!!!!!!

So there, good reasons to use blue, it's a nice colour, it's relaxing and it's non-offensive. Few people dislike blue. Quite afew have problems with brown.

+when did I say we had to use blue. I simple said I like it and it looks professional...

vexorian
July 18th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Actually, no. Blue is a nice calming colour, a relaxing colour, a cool (in both senses of the word) colour. It always looks good and it does look professional, and get you in the right, calm frame of mind for work, or fun.

Green is not so relaxing or cool looking. Red promotes violence (anybody seen the scrubs ep where kelso gives ted the red tie... classic...) And brown, well, it's hardly got the nicest things to its name...
Yes, thanks for mentioning scrubs. Something to notice right now is that the feelings on colors are all culture related, occidental people assume their color rules are somehow universal...

cobrn1
July 19th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Yes, thanks for mentioning scrubs. Something to notice right now is that the feelings on colors are all culture related, occidental people assume their color rules are somehow universal...

THanks for mentioning scrubs? I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or otherwise. Anyway, It's not a personal colour rule as you suggest, it's a plain fact that certain colours eveok certain emotions and are more conducive to a certain mood or frame of mind.

I think red is a nice colour, but it's not a calming one...

Research has been done on this, so don't try to tell me that it's only a personal thing, or a cultural thing - it's how your brain is programmed. I assume low level brain programming _is_ univeral. It was the last time I checked...

So maybe your culture accociates brown with something really great. That's nice, but that doesn't stop blue from calming you down (much like listening to clasical music gears your brain into working better).

so while it's true that you may accociate brown with something else (I don't have any real association with it, it's just brown) most colours do have a universal mood attributed to them because of the way your brain works, ie, red bad due to blood being red. Hell, even animals use red as a danger sign! Blue calm, sea, water - all good. It is just like music in this respect.

cobrn1
July 19th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Ok, I had a look into different cultural colour associaitions (WAY too much time on my hands...) and it's true, that many culture view different colours differently. However, while red may be seen as good for certain reasons, the basic programming of your brain will still tell you that it's bad because it's blood.

I'll admit that there's a lot of variety tho.

One thing that I did notice is that blue seems the be the best colour of all, with the fewest negative associations :p (ok, straight from wikipedia, but can you think of a counter-example where blue is viewed as bad...?)

cobrn1
July 19th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Oh, and one last thing, while you could attribute a colour to a whole slew of emotions (just look up colour associations on wikipedia) generally you only really associate it with one emotion, and it does tend to make sense or be based on the way you brain is programmed, ie:

black - death. It's not universally recognised as bad, but what colour do things go when the rot/die/decay - BLACK!

white - good/life - new day, light at the ned of a tunnel, illuminating life, etc...

red - bad.danger - blood

blue - good - water, sky, etc.

some cultures reverse white and black meaning - quite interesting to know.

Red and blue are reasonably constant (although red can be used for good things too).

Blue, however, is almost never bad.

However, I digress. I think it's abit rude to say people assume that thier colour rules are universal and their stupid for it (as I think you imply). For one, they all make sense! Two, many are based on primitive brain associations, so even when red is good, I'm sure the people appreciaite that red can be bad too... Three, western rules are the most widely publicised, and you almost never get exposed to anything else. If you are from another culture then you get the best of both. If you are western then you miss out. You are lucky to have both, westerners are missing out. It doesn't mean that they're stupid.

ANYWAY. This has been interesting, and I feel truely educated, but the point still stands that many colours have universal associations, and blue is universally seen as good. So there!

stepan2
July 19th, 2007, 05:29 PM
i hate the ubuntu theme but i hate the mac theme as well. I disagree with the fact that most distros are ugly. pclinuxos is pretty nice , as well as fedora. The reason those tehems are downloaded alot is because people migrating form vistas and macs want to feel at home

Hex_Mandos
July 19th, 2007, 05:40 PM
No, blue isn't universally good. Otherwise, every product would be packaged in blue. Colors DO have cultural implications, even if there is a biological base from which they may evolve.

For example, you say "Red = Bad", and that's just not true. Red can also communicate love, as seen in heart iconography and Chinese brides' wedding dresses. Revolutionary political movements have also used red extensively (Not just communism, the french revolution used a red cap as a symbol of freedom). The underlying theme for the color red isn't violence, it's passion, which can be good, bad, both, or none. (I really miss studying communication science)....

Blue isn't a bad color, but it's far from the only choice for a desktop. I'd personally like to see a nice green desktop. Brown is original, and I like how it looks from Edgy onwards. Mandriva's orange is good too. A white/silver theme would also be interesting.

cobrn1
July 19th, 2007, 06:58 PM
It's true, colours do have cultural implications. They also have deeply personal implications too, you can easily associate anything to any event. Example, everytime I play the first level of hitman: silaent assassin, I think of pancakes, becasue when I first played that level I was eating pancakes...

There isn't a hugely universal colour code, as biology only plays a small part.

However:

Black and white are seemingly always used as extremes, either life or death, depending.

Red can be good, but it more commonly has bad implications of blood and death (not just a western thing, look at the entire animal kingdom... red is used as the danger signal).

Blue is almost always a good, friendly colour, with little bad to its name.

I find blue calming, and even if your culture has different connotations to the colour, you can't fight the fundamental power the colour has on your brain. It's like classical music, I don't particularly like it, but it still puts my brain in to a good working mode, suitable for work. Blue does much the same.

If you like green they you'd _love_ linux mint. Green, green, green... :D

Note that while I don't dispute the fact the brown is original, original != good (necessarily). Ever heard the publisher's story? A man sent an publisher his novel. THe publisher wrote back saying that it was both good and original... The parts that were good weren't original, and the parts that were original weren't good!

Anyway, point is that while there are wildly differeing cultural implications, the effects that a colour has on your mood, or more accurately, brain patterns, is the same, universally. Classical music changes your brain patterns, universally. (I say brain patterns, I think it's the frequency that it's working at, or something like that, but anyway, there is a change...)

I'm not a great fan of brown, but it doesn't make a huge amount of difference becasue the default theme is almost always gone an hour after installation...

I really like the default theme for ubuntu studio edition though... I'll have to try installing that some time.

White/silver sounds interesting.

Hex_Mandos
July 19th, 2007, 08:12 PM
But from Edgy onwards brown IS nice. The previous dark brown desktop image and themes were horrible, but light brown/orange is a nice combination. It's not always the color, it's how the color is used that gives you the final look.

You say blue is good, but blue's big strength is stability. That's the reason so many banks use blue... it makes them look reliable. So I'd probably use blue for corporate desktops, since it's likely to make a good impression in that field. Personal/Hobbyist desktops, however, are another thing entirely. I value originality there, and I like seeing different colors.

(RE: Linux Mint, I like green, but I don't like the default desktop... I need to download a green Emerald theme and desktop background now.)

cobrn1
July 20th, 2007, 02:42 AM
Which one is edgy? <goes and looks it up> 6.10.

THe last on I used was 6.06 (i think) so I can't comment on any imporvements to the brown theme - I'll have a look when I get round to installing feisty...

I'd say blue is jsut an alraound good colour. Calm, innoffensive, but what ever, I've been talknig about colours for _way_ too long <need to get out more...>

The black/grey theme for ubuntu studio is brilliant IMO. Looks every bit as classy as vista does (that's a good thing in my book, in case you were in anydoubt - vista, looks good but runs like a pig...)

tehkain
July 20th, 2007, 03:03 AM
I like ideas in osx and(very few) in vista when it comes to themes. Tho I think we need to make our own idea.

This is why I have started to make my menubar part of my emerald theme bar.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3048856#post3048856

dannymichel
July 21st, 2007, 10:05 AM
It is a well known FACT that blue WILL ALWAYS work. That is the FINAL word on that. It's a RULE.

thegnome87
July 21st, 2007, 12:44 PM
I don't think Linux desktops are universally ugly. Fedora looks gorgeous (http://fedoraproject.org/images/screenshots/booting-screen.jpg) and Ubuntu has improved a whole lot since Breezy (remember that zomfg smugly dark brown flat window title bar (http://www.pro-linux.de/berichte/jpgs/ubuntu0410/desktop.png)?). Even the Lin/Free-spires have a beautiful KDE theme (http://wiki.freespire.org/images/9/97/Desktop6.jpg), not to mention the nice calm and professional look of Novell's SUSE (http://www.smackfoo.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/24.gif).

While people can tweak it however they like (to each his own *shudders at some of the tweaked screenshots I've seen* ;)); personally, I think Linux desktops have nothing to be jealous of (http://www.novell.com/products/desktop/img/preview_screenshots/cube.png).

Good job DE developers.

vexorian
July 21st, 2007, 02:51 PM
It is a well known FACT that blue WILL ALWAYS work. That is the FINAL word on that. It's a RULE.
hope you are being sarcastic

4seasonphotos
July 21st, 2007, 03:29 PM
But how did you custimize your desktop to look like that where in fiesty fawn did you het all the graphics to do all this?

Do we really, or is it just a fad people go through when changing over to linux? Their was a time that I made my system look like a mac but that was a long time ago.

Since then I have realised how customisable the Linux desktop can be. I have attached a screenshot from my laptop, which I use everyday for work, This is what my desktop has evolved too with functionality being the first factor, everything where I need it, programs and scripts are in draws on the left. In the end it is what you the user is most comfortable with, but the desktop environment should work with and not against you. The default Linux desktop ugly as it can be is very much like a blank canvas for the user to mold to their needs.

vexorian
July 22nd, 2007, 02:14 AM
I made my gnome look like OS/X , downloaded plenty of gtk themes and icons, but it was just to try it, because screenshots don't tell all the story, the download counts don't mean preference...

4seasonphotos
July 22nd, 2007, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the tip on how to do this.. I somewhat made mine to look like OSX but with a twist of my own.. Is there a small program that resizes pictures easily? I would like to put my screenshot up..

cobrn1
July 22nd, 2007, 04:39 PM

hope you are being sarcastic

gonna regret rejoining this thread i'msure, but that doesn't necessarily sound sarcastic to me.

UNLESS you particularly dislike the colour blue (i don't know anybody who does BTW, but that may just be the company I keep) blue is an innoffensive coloir, and usually calming, irrespectibe of cultural associations.

Hence, blue does Just WorkTM (love typing that... :))

Anyway, as has been pointed out, even if you hate brown, the default ubuntu desktop is functional, and very easy to change (blank canvas someone said). I've no problem with that. Blue would be better in my opinion because less people object to the colour blue then the colour brown, BUT I understand the need to differentiate ubuntu from MS and other rivals, and the fact is most people (even working types) change it anyway, so it doesn't matter.

We use mac and vista themes because alot of time goes into designing them and the look (depending on your personal preference) damned nice. Sure, I don't like aqua, but aero rocks, so there you go...

vexorian
July 22nd, 2007, 05:09 PM
Serious statments:
- "I like blue".
- "I think blue is professional".

Either sarcastic or religious-dogma-like:
- "It is a well known FACT that blue WILL ALWAYS work. That is the FINAL word on that. It's a RULE".

I for one think that it is ridiculous to think that everything should be blue or that blue always works, I really think that a colorless theme is a better default, and I mean like something monochrome with silver on controls, white on windows and black for selection, cause it is neutral.

Also:
Vista is a black theme, and from all the leopard shots I see it seems to go towards gray.

and people do spend a lot of time making the themes used by linux distros.

Dimitriid
July 22nd, 2007, 05:18 PM
I first tried other "themes" because something about the default ubuntu theme bothered me. Then I realize what it was: It takes too much screen space for just the panels on 1024*768 which is the maximum comfortable resolution I can use ( My ctr monitor can go higher but with very poor refresh rates that really annoy you and even get your eyes very tired )

After playing around with it I ended up making a very minimalistic approach to the system, I have a clean desktop and made the panels transparent. Now im very happy with it and find it much more practical than default windows GUIs honestly.

4seasonphotos
July 23rd, 2007, 03:11 AM
I found the original Ubuntu theme on the bland side. That's why I went for KDE.. It spices it up and allows for being creative I like that.. If you got to look at it you might as well like it! :)

vexorian
July 23rd, 2007, 03:19 AM
I tried both kubuntu and ubuntu and I couldn't find any more creativity friendly than the other.

4seasonphotos
July 23rd, 2007, 03:26 AM
I find KDE has more options.. Which is nice and better explained software..

darkog
July 23rd, 2007, 04:54 AM
well, the great thing about using linux is you can customize the desktop (aka window manager) quite a lot more than windows. it's interesting to see what people are doing -- though i am a little confused why one would want their linux desktop to look like vista?

i first also thought that the brown ubuntu gnome theme was a little odd, but as i learned more about the philosohy and background of the distro, i think i got used to it more and now quite like it. but thats just me. i see it as them trying to bring the look and feel and colors (http://www.hln-store.com/catalog/africa01.gif) of Africa to the desktop.

I also think that we must not forget that not everyone who installs Ubuntu is going to have the latest and greatest hardware and be upgraded to the hilt. The default installs must be able to install on a system that might be a few generations old(er).

maybe it can be recommended that the developers add a few desktop customization options in the installer. low, medium and high, with high being all the bells & whistles enabled.

4seasonphotos
July 23rd, 2007, 01:10 PM
I liked the Ubuntu theme somewhat it was different but that kinda wore off.. I am not in Africa so that theme kinda does not have such an appeal to me. But I understand what you mean. It's not a big deal I am really happy with the Ubuntu program overall.. :)

tashmooclam
July 30th, 2007, 02:21 AM
I think the brown is growing on me! But the borders around windows are too bronze and also, I wish I knew how to make the borders thinner. The navigation toolbar is really wide in firefox, it's taking up a lot of monitor space.
My only real gripe is the letters on "Applications, Places, System" look like I drew them with a pencil. If I could ever sharpen them all up nicely I'd be happier.
But I think it is fun to make changes, I just don't know how yet.
I loved those Ubuntu Studio themes, very nice.

mr.farenheit
July 30th, 2007, 02:40 AM
i just think of it as if you want to make it look like another OS then buy the supported pc instead. granted some interfaces have more appeal but in the end what do you really gain. i personally like the basic interface of ubuntu and i hate the fact that if i were to use all the mods and crapplets out there then my computer is working just a tad bit harder to impress visually and perform its function. and if you want a really cool theme setup then someone should at least make one for MSDOS:lolflag:

Alexander2007
July 30th, 2007, 02:47 AM
I agree that the default Ubuntu theme is not that inspiring. I believe that more orange should be used instead of so much brown. The colors should be more vibrant (Take a look at "Mandriva Linux One 2007 Spring") : http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=787&slide=7

Sayers
July 30th, 2007, 03:16 AM
I don't use mac or vista but I do change the theme because in linux we can customize and we like to fill that one nitch in our brain to be custom.

tashmooclam
July 30th, 2007, 05:55 PM
I only wish that there were another bunch of themes pre-installed for the new user. Most of us have other issues going on when we start.
I think I don't dislike the theme so much as I dislike the general appearance of the rendering of letters.
I made a "custom" theme of the default ubuntu brown but with a blue window border, it's a nice combination.
The Ubuntu Studio theme is pretty neat, unusual.

mech7
July 30th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Everybody knows linux us ugly.. it can be pretty but it takes much effort.. also none of the developers seem to care about graphics otherwise they would have changed the ugly grey bars and icons with no padding allready. :(

xhizors
July 30th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Thank you very much but i'd prefer performance over glam any day. There are so many more reasons to use linux.

and honestly... "If they want to make linux look like another OS they should just use that OS?" Why? That's asinine. You can paint an banana blue, but it's still going to be a freaking banana. To each their own.

tashmooclam
July 30th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Someone who was clever could make a little cottage business to make Linux "pretty".
If they put together a disc of nice themes, fonts, font rendering, etc. and sell it on eBay as "Linux Eye-Candy" "Improved Visual Linux" or something, they'd sell some of them.
Since there are so many results for this on google, there must be a small market for such a disc.
I know that I would buy one.
I got Ubuntu Studio theme on this and I'll show it to my XP and Vista pals and say "can you make yours look like this?"

markp1989
September 23rd, 2007, 10:40 PM

i agree as well, but i still dont see why they have to imitate, other operating systems, if you look at my screen shot, its unique, i admit im using vista like windows borders, and OSX Icons, but the rest of the interface is completely unique.

dannymichel
September 23rd, 2007, 11:37 PM
i agree as well, but i still dont see why they have to imitate, other operating systems, if you look at my screen shot, its unique, i admit im using vista like windows borders, and OSX Icons, but the rest of the interface is completely unique.

This is why I have taken on the task of re-designing Ubuntu

regomodo
September 24th, 2007, 12:39 AM
i almost completely agree. If it wasn't for the Vista/OSX themes i would be using Human (which isn't all that bad).

All the others look like the are from the icewm-themes package (i.e. abusive!)

I do use the most popular icons at gnome-look.org mind you.

FuturePilot
September 24th, 2007, 12:41 AM
I'm starting to get tired of seeing all these Mac OS X themes. I go over to Gnome-look and all I see is OS X themes. ](*,) What ever happened unique Linux themes!?

ComplexNumber
September 24th, 2007, 01:09 AM
I'm starting to get tired of seeing all these Mac OS X themes. I go over to Gnome-look and all I see is OS X themes. ](*,) What ever happened unique Linux themes!?
i got bored of them ages ago. it requires little thought to copy other people's themes such as vista and OS X, yet strangely, all those vista and OS X themes get voted highly. i have no idea why when there is 60 billion of them all looking the bleedin' same.

that's why i set about designing my own original themes that i haven't seen done before.

SZF2001
January 24th, 2008, 11:33 PM
I'm taking a wild step here and installing Enlightenment. Maybe it'll be a good change...

hessiess
January 24th, 2008, 11:48 PM
speed and useabilaty is way more important than looks. which is why i left pritymuch everything as pur defalt

iPower
January 25th, 2008, 01:07 AM
windows is uglier

Amstell
January 25th, 2008, 01:44 AM
I would like to see ubuntu create their own theme that would make them unique to linux. We all know what macs and windows look like. I think that would be a big step towards setting it apart. They need a standard to work on and fix. Not just a mix of customization.

Cheers

Bruce M.
January 25th, 2008, 05:23 AM
Personally I would never use a Windows theme on my computer. I dislike that OS so much now that when I came to the brown of Ubuntu I found it refreshing! And I've never seen a Mac, so why bother!

I've tweaked a bit here and there, but not to match any other OS.

My last Windows (W2K) I tried everything I could to get it NOT to look like Windows.... but there isn't a lot you can do really.

tuebinger
January 25th, 2008, 06:58 AM
I have to admit I wasn't too fond of the top bar in the Ubuntu default theme so I got rid of it. As for it being ugly, I have to disagree. Its interface is elegant in its simplicity, and its functional out of the box with a minimum of distractions. Everything you need is there and nothing you don't. With MacOSX you get this rediculous bouncing dock and UGLY wallpaper... I mean that cosmos theme is the ugliest mac desktop I've ever seen. You get a LOT of bells and whistles with the Mac, but I guess that's not what I look for in a computer. I just want to get to work. I could care less about the look of it.

KThrace
January 25th, 2008, 07:22 AM
The brown theme in Ubuntu is usuable I suppose, but not my cup of tea. I've got a much better GTK theme, with more colorful wallpapers and a nice non-Windows/OSX looking Emerald theme. Works for me.

PryGuy
January 25th, 2008, 07:39 AM
but you know what you will never see?
A Ubuntu/Linux theme for Vista or Mac.I know a Human theme for WindowsXP. ;)

Babbage
January 25th, 2008, 01:02 PM
I like the default Ubuntu theme. It would be great if there were a better selection of themes to choose from that could be applied with one click under System, Preferences, Appearance. The one click application could apply the theme comprehensively to desktop, login screen, windows and screensaver. But the options could remain to customise each aspect of the theme, as well as modify certain aspects like changing it's colour family.

When I say a better selection of themes, I mean a selection reflecting Ubuntu and Linux users today. For example a Mac like theme, Windows 2000, Windows XP & Vista like themes, a hackers/Matrix theme, a crystal dynamic fluid theme with translucent icons/windows and the standard Ubuntu theme, but with alternative colour ways. Altogether there could be about 6-10 themes reflecting the visual styles that appeal to computer users today. The themes should reflect that some like the "retro" inspired Mac/Win look, some like XP/Vista style, while others prefer the futuristic and some the practical, highly usable and subtle.

bomanizer
January 25th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Font rendering is poor? It looks just perfect for me, antialiasing and subpixel rendering make the fonts look super smooth and crisp. I feel it looks even better than on Windows. You can install the Microsoft fonts if you want, but I don't think it is necessary.
I am using an Iiyama 23" monitor at 2048x1536 @ 85Hz so the 12pt fontsize is no problem.

Sometimes I get the feeling that people are complaining about the rendering because the fonts don't look exactly like on Win/Mac, maybe because the quirks in Openoffice, etc. Anyways, all those different platforms and rendering techniques (webpages & styles!) result in confusion about what the fonts are supposed to look like in the first place, IMHO.

-B

Circus-Killer
January 25th, 2008, 02:31 PM

i couldn't agree more. not that i mind there being one or two mac osx like themes, or vista-like themes, but its gotten to the point where 80% of the themes are exactly that.

in fact, i've actually given up with trying to find decent themes. i just stick to the ubuntu default. not because i like it, just because there aren't any decent themes around anymore. all the theme creators have gone moggy with mac and vista like themes.

i'm just hoping that in a year or two people will get over making the same theme over and over and over again.

n3tfury
January 25th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Sometimes I get the feeling that people are complaining about the rendering because the fonts don't look exactly like on Win/Mac, maybe because the quirks in Openoffice, etc. Anyways, all those different platforms and rendering techniques (webpages & styles!) result in confusion about what the fonts are supposed to look like in the first place, IMHO.

-B

actually, prior to gutsy, the rendering was pretty crappy regardless of tweaks.

b0ng0
January 25th, 2008, 03:13 PM
I have to agree with the OP that, while the default Ubuntu theme goes with the website and generally other themed things to do with Ubuntu, it does look pretty crap. If I ever install Ubuntu the first thing I do is change the theme.
The massive button sizes in GNOME also make me feel like i'm using an interface designed for people with sausage fingers (I don't know why, but it sounds right to me).
I think the keyword here is streamlining - to make the OS interface more appealing.

aysiu
June 14th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Discussion appears to be continued in another thread: One thing I hate (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=829009)