PDA

View Full Version : I'm a disapointed with our Ubuntu community

Turboaaa2001
June 17th, 2007, 04:04 AM
About 2 years ago I started using Ubuntu off and on. I love how simple it is and how easy it is to master. I am a PC Tech that LOVES hardware and knows allot about the Windows OS, but I wanted more. I wanted to be free of one individual company that controlled my software and hardware usage.

When I really started to use Ubuntu of late is when I came into the Linux community by entering into forums for help and advise. Here I HAVE HAD A GREAT EXPERIENCE:D with getting help and having friendly people to walk me through the most simplest of tasks. I love it here, so please don't judge me with what I'm about to say, just help me to understand and point me to the proof to prove my observations wrong (if they are)

I am very disappointed with our community. Not that we are bad people or that we are mean or nasty, but in the way we develop.:(

I have seen several individuals who practice what we should be doing, but in every forum I have entered the majority always fall into this category and that is:
"Always talking about things that can be done and should be done to better what we do, but then never do it."](*,)

Ubuntu is designed to be an easy-to-use Linux distro that can go mainstream into your parents houses. And yet we sit here talking amongst our selfs and not sharing what we know. Do you know how hard it was to convince my parents (mom) to try Ubuntu for a month with a separate hard drive? Their just starting to get used to it because it does EVERYTHING Windows did.:shock:

Why are we keeping the "Holy Grail" to ourselves and not sharing it? We need to be the salesmen (and saleswomen) for Ubuntu because they are giving it to us for FREE. That means there is no budget for PR or Advertisements. I even have the chance to show Ubuntu to several friends of mine, they have never heard of a free OS before.:|

Face it, these forums are a huge. But there filled with a very small minority. In about 10,000 people here where I live there is only around 20 Linux users. Thats 0.2% !!! Of course it's much better in some areas than others but you get my point.

The Wrap-Up:

I love Ubuntu and I love this community. I just really want to see not only more people, but more advances. I'm not a programmer and know very little when it comes to that, but I can sell. I depend on those of you that have the ability and paitence to program this great stuff.

We need you to make something to combat DirectX Get the attention of Game Designers and Video hardware mfgs by doing away with Microsoft's hold on the game industry with their DX!!

LETS PULL TOGETHER AND MAKE THIS RIGHT!! BREAK OUT OF THE RUT!!! BREAK OUT OF THE BOX!!:guitar:

LightB
June 17th, 2007, 04:19 AM
Ubuntu is more of an advocacy and desktop fine-tuning distro. The stuff you say has been said before in many different ways. It's not due to lack of will or even effort that these things don't happen as expected by some. It's a matter of resources. But look at it this way, even back in 1998 MS was admitting in private that the linux kernel was superior to theirs. I think the linux desktop will go far.

blah blah blah
June 17th, 2007, 04:29 AM
Well there's kinda other stuff to do.

kamaboko
June 17th, 2007, 05:22 AM
Not everyone shares enthusiasm for computers. If what they have works, fine. For instance, I have friends that are complete car nuts. They'll talk about cars until the sun goes down. They tell me to add this or that to my car to improve its performance, but I could care less. I just want to go from A to B. Well, A LOT of people are like that with computers. If what they have works for them, then so be it. Nothing is more annoying than a (bible thumping) computer OS advocate.

adzik
June 17th, 2007, 05:55 AM
I have seen several individuals who practice what we should be doing, but in every forum I have entered the majority always fall into this category and that is:
"Always talking about things that can be done and should be done to better what we do, but then never do it."](*,)

I understand your frustration in this area, but this is also a component of the GNU/Linux community as well, at least in my viewpoint. This is a good thing. Why? Because over time as people learn more, they'll do more, and there has, over the last few years been quite the influx of brand new users to Linux. Give them time.
I started using Linux around 2003. I dabbled, learned and yammered on about how things could be this way or that way. Eventually I contributed what I could, and I know in the next little while as current noobs begin to really get a handle on the power of Linux and learn more, they'll be the next wave that brings new and innovative ideas to open source in general.
I still do think that when people are given the time and room to grow at their own pace, they will "pick up the torch" so to speak...eventually.
Granted, there will always be those that "flap their gums", but that's life. Oh well.

blah blah blah
June 17th, 2007, 07:21 AM
Nothing is more annoying than a (bible thumping) computer OS advocate.

Oh yes there is. People continuously trying convert to you in the dumbest ways you can imagine (and I really do mean the dumbest ways you can imagine) is much worse.

EdThaSlayer
June 17th, 2007, 07:29 AM
Something to combat Direct X, I like that idea. But most people think that OpenGL is already enough. :(

jfinkels
June 17th, 2007, 07:37 AM
My vote's for a Canonical television advertisement for Ubuntu, an alternative to Apple and Microsoft operating systems. Do you have any idea how much TV gets watched here in America?

Turboaaa2001
June 18th, 2007, 03:13 AM
This is what I'm looking for, most of these responses are on the up-and-up. I'm so glad you didn't just yell at me or anything, thats another reason I like it here.:D

I do admit that I'm more on the extreme side of the "Computer Holy Wars"[-o<. I also want to say that I'm not against Microsoft as an evil corporation, I just want to have a choice in what I do in technology without one company controling it all.

Ed ThaSlaya, you really like the idea of of having a competing program for DX? I'm glad I'm not the only one!!! OpenGL is cool but not really is in use, besides DX is better. You can't deny it. What would be cool is if those Agia Phisyx people would go into something like this, there not doing so well anyway :-({|=

As far as talking to your friends and family? I've been there. Cars, cars, and more cars and I can't stand it.=; But that is their passion and I try to do some of the things they suggest so that that leaves listening room for me. I know a guy who just checks his e-mail and is tired of a bloated Windows system slowing him down. He's thinking about giving Linux a try.

What else can we be doing to help prevent the monopoly of Microsft? We can all agree that competition is good and monopolies are bad. Can buying hardware and software from companies that are not partners with Microsoft?:-k

Nekiruhs
June 18th, 2007, 03:53 AM
I try to help new people here with their problems. If the future "Worlds Greatest Programmer" trys to switch to Linux now, and has problems, whats going to convince him to make that amazing WM, or that (dare I say it?) superior kernel? I just try to help people join, not advance Linux itself.
However, I do plan to be a Computer Science major. When I get that degree, I will return the favor Linux has given to me. And if Ubuntu is still around, I'll definitely return to my roots.

As far as the hardware goes, there is a thread about that somewhere. (AMD is a MS competitor. WOOT!) And, that DX competition sounds interesting, they've done it with wine, just clean room reverse engineer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_room_design) it.

Tundro Walker
June 18th, 2007, 09:06 AM
I find your post ironic & hypocritical. You basically say you're tired of hearing others complain about things, wanting things to change, and yet not doing anything about it. Yet, that's exactly what you're doing. So, don't take this as a flame, but if you want to make a change, then stop hanging out in the Community Cafe. This is the "watering hole" of the forums, where folks go to grouse about anything and everything, which involves a lot of complaining, non-action, wishful thinking, and general goofing off. If you want to get something done, there's other forum areas that folks lurk in where they're seriously interested in getting things done. You can volunteer on a Loco team, or join Jenda and them on the Arts / Marketing team. Or join a 3rd Party Project.

andrewpmk
June 18th, 2007, 09:20 AM
My vote's for a Canonical television advertisement for Ubuntu, an alternative to Apple and Microsoft operating systems. Do you have any idea how much TV gets watched here in America?

Personally, I would wait until hardware support in Ubuntu has been improved before spending a lot of money on advertising. Ubuntu is a great OS, but before we start advertising Ubuntu to the masses, we need to improve hardware support - in particular you should never have to edit xorg.conf to get the screen resolution set properly. To improve hardware support we need to push for open source drivers for hardware which lacks them, and encourage the use of hardware that already has open source drivers. Unless Ubuntu works "out of the box" on more hardware without manual configuration, advertising Ubuntu would simply give it a bad reputation among the general public.

Polygon
June 18th, 2007, 10:00 AM
We need you to make something to combat DirectX Get the attention of Game Designers and Video hardware mfgs by doing away with Microsoft's hold on the game industry with their DX!!

does unreal tournament 3 count?

Somehow this doesnt seem like another "tux racer" to me.

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/727/727820/gc-2006-unreal-tournament-2007-preview-20060823084518006-000.jpg

Ubuntu and all other linux distros can handle video games, comapnies like Id and Epic have shown that they can push openGL as hard as they can push DirectX. It just takes convincing to start making linux ports.

23meg
June 18th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Easy solution:

1) Install Privoxy, or some other content filtering software

2) Block either http://ubuntuforums.org/ entirely, or just http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11, depending on how "hardcore" you want to go

3) Click here (http://www.ubuntu.com/community/participate)

vexorian
June 18th, 2007, 07:31 PM
but isn't OpenGL enough? I mean, it sure gets updated to use the last stuff on cards already, and it is easier to make companies develop on it than on an actual new system that would be developed after 2007

Adamant1988
June 18th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Ubuntu is more of an advocacy and desktop fine-tuning distro. The stuff you say has been said before in many different ways. It's not due to lack of will or even effort that these things don't happen as expected by some. It's a matter of resources. But look at it this way, even back in 1998 MS was admitting in private that the linux kernel was superior to theirs. I think the linux desktop will go far.

Superior product != business win.

To cite an example of this, Yahoo Auctions was superior in every way to Ebay when they both started. How many things do you sell/buy on Yahoo Auctions today? Marketing is the key, clever marketing.

-Ghost9-
June 18th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Something to combat Direct X, I like that idea. But most people think that OpenGL is already enough. :(

I've been hoping for this as well. From what I can see, openGL currently does not compete with dx. openGL is very flat looking in comparison.

Turboaaa2001
June 18th, 2007, 08:09 PM
I find your post ironic & hypocritical. You basically say you're tired of hearing others complain about things, wanting things to change, and yet not doing anything about it. Yet, that's exactly what you're doing. So, don't take this as a flame, ...

I'm not offended, I prefer the feedback. But your wrong, I have taken action in the only ways I can right now. I mentioned I'm not a programmer but I am a people person. Thats why I'm pushing awaerness and not working on source code.

What else can people tell me about gaming on Linux. This thread is also for me to learn, not just blab. I want feedback on these issues to see if I'm right or not in the different areas. So please post!!! I appreciate it.

Excuse my spelling and grammer I'm doing this at work and the keyboard has plastic over it.......

LaRoza
June 18th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Ubuntu is too much of a secret, it is relatively easy to get new users, I was able to get interest in Ubuntu on a Vista forum and people did download it, and all I did was give my opinion of Vista, and then my opinion of Ubuntu.

I also am responsible for someone using another Linux distro because Windows didn't cut it.

Don't be disappointed, be enthusiastic.

vexorian
June 18th, 2007, 09:40 PM
I've been hoping for this as well. From what I can see, openGL currently does not compete with dx. openGL is very flat looking in comparison.
Really, OpenGL is very good, there is a wide difference between the power of OpenGL and the number of features that are actually used by developers.

http://www.3ddrome.com/articles/cgshaders.php

-Ghost9-
June 18th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Really, OpenGL is very good, there is a wide difference between the power of OpenGL and the number of features that are actually used by developers.

http://www.3ddrome.com/articles/cgshaders.php

perhaps it's just the use of ogl then. I have seen absolutely beautiful dx games, but all of the ogl games look very dated anymore. perhaps developers don't have the interest in it. But even quake wars looks drab and flat to me...

Circus-Killer
June 19th, 2007, 10:33 AM
you cannot compare multi-million dollar projects to volunteer open source projects. bigger team, bigger budget, better product. if gaming manufacturers put into an opengl game what they did with DX, there'd be little comparison. and for those of you who dont realise, but there are quite a few commercial games that use opengl and prove this point. eg. Unreal Tournaments, Warcraft III etc. etc.

when companies start focusing their projects in a multi-platform environment, then only will you be able to see what opengl is really capable of.

-Ghost9-
June 19th, 2007, 04:05 PM
you cannot compare multi-million dollar projects to volunteer open source projects. bigger team, bigger budget, better product. if gaming manufacturers put into an opengl game what they did with DX, there'd be little comparison. and for those of you who dont realise, but there are quite a few commercial games that use opengl and prove this point. eg. Unreal Tournaments, Warcraft III etc. etc.

when companies start focusing their projects in a multi-platform environment, then only will you be able to see what opengl is really capable of.

quake wars I believe is totally openGL and it is a multi-million dollar project. it still looks weak to me, but i suppose i should judge until i actually play it. the vid previews just don't look very impressive.

jiminycricket
June 19th, 2007, 04:20 PM
They already have them. Maybe there could be something like that XNA thing MS has going on with the Xbox 360/DirectX though.

Eg:
OpenGL (equivalent to Direct3d, and older, better for graphic card manufacturers since they control the standards instead of MS), OpenAL (DirectSound), SDL (Direct3d or use OpenGL, DirectSound or use OpenAL or ALSA, control input, more). All better or as good as DirectX, except crossplatform, and yes they are used in some games today, like the first Neverwinter Nights, Doom III, etc.

Persianelfster
June 19th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Over time Ubuntu will grow. However, in this community we should strive to help newbies (which is different than a n00b) and share our knowledge with all. Thats the whole idea with open source ya know, Why you have to include your source code when you post it, because you are trying to help others. You want it to be, if someone likes your idea then they can make it better, improve it, face it there will always be someone better than you, always. I will always try to help if its in my scope of knowledge, but thats the beatuy of this community, its so large, so diverse, so chances are someone on this forum can help you. Everything I have posted has gotten anwsered. So I don't think this community is bad at all, however you may have a different view point.

hsweet
June 19th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Lacking a multi-million dollar PR budget, Ubuntu and Linux grows one user at a time. I've started using it at home and now the rest of my family uses it. I started using it at work (I teach high school) and several of my students picked it up.

I showed my lab to my school admins who can do the math, saw it worked and we may see (probably SUSE though) replacing windows over the next couple of years in the district.

If that happens, a couple of thousand people will be using Linux in the town I work in.

Turboaaa2001
June 19th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Ubuntu is too much of a secret, it is relatively easy to get new users, I was able to get interest in Ubuntu on a Vista forum and people did download it, and all I did was give my opinion of Vista, and then my opinion of Ubuntu.

I also am responsible for someone using another Linux distro because Windows didn't cut it.

Don't be disappointed, be enthusiastic.

Kudos!!!

Lacking a multi-million dollar PR budget, Ubuntu and Linux grows one user at a time. I've started using it at home and now the rest of my family uses it. I started using it at work (I teach high school) and several of my students picked it up.

I showed my lab to my school admins who can do the math, saw it worked and we may see (probably SUSE though) replacing windows over the next couple of years in the district.

If that happens, a couple of thousand people will be using Linux in the town I work in.

Kudos Again!!

This is what I wanted to hear from people. Will it help with blocking MS from controlling all? A little, but it's well worth it.

Someone mentioned that we are growing 1 person at a time. Thats great!!! If we grow too fast there will not be enough people to help the newbies with their problems. Unlike MS Windows users we ARE a community and support each other. Compared to the people who have to "wing it" and cross their fingers on their own makes us look very apealing.

Heres some more kudos for the rest of you.... KUDOS :popcorn: