PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu needs graphical polish!

fozza21
July 9th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Is there a special artwork and/or usability group within the ubuntu community? I'm just about to re-switch to linux and definitely my distro will be ubuntu.

in my opinion, desktop-linux needs some significant polish to be really competitive.

I recently read a review on ubuntu (http://www.reviewlinux.com/articles/8/1/Ubuntu---A-New-Approach-to-Desktop-Linux) and the author takes up a few points that are also mine...

1. why does ubuntu still use this standard grub booting process? not only beginners simply don't want to see the init-scripts scrolling down the screen. it would be much nicer and would contribute to the ubuntu image to have a nifty boot image instead.

2. same graphical advice for the installation program.

And since I'm tired of just complaining, I want to know where to adress myself to improve this situation. I'm a media designer and I'd like to contribute to a niftier and better looking ubuntu.

I'm computer literate, but still I find it really hard to find the right ways to contribute. there should be a team just coordinating the community contributions, it must be a single click on the frontpage of ubuntulinux.org.

Yes, I want to help >> following page: I can: o write a tuturial o draw some artwork o translate stuff and the like...

What do you think?? Who to contact??

fozza

UbuWu
July 9th, 2005, 04:37 PM
I'm computer literate, but still I find it really hard to find the right ways to contribute. there should be a team just coordinating the community contributions, it must be a single click on the frontpage of ubuntulinux.org.

Yes, I want to help >> following page: I can: o write a tuturial o draw some artwork o translate stuff and the like...

Actually it is two clicks: community (on top) and then participate.