PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to try to spread Ubuntu

BWF89
July 9th, 2005, 04:04 PM
So im going on vacation tomarrow morning.

I have like 50 Ubuntu cd's I ordered but never gave out to anyone (except 1 person). So I'm going to bring like 10-15 CD's with me and when we go on vacation on Sunday. And when we stop at the reststops at the way to the beach im going to tape those Warty Warthog x86 cd pack to the walls of the bathroom stalls. Then when the person after me goes into the bathroom he'll see the cd and take it with him and thus spreading Linux / open source.

If I let them lay around the house much longer there going to be 2 versions out of date instead of just one so I have to get rid of them somehow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Beach

Lunde
July 9th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Can you also tag on the wall where to get the current release?

Kvark
July 9th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Eww, I'd never put a CD I found on a public toilet into my computer. Thats like the computer version of eating candy you find on a public toilet...

alred
July 9th, 2005, 06:26 PM
oh boy ...... linux linux linux , linux everywhere cause it's free , you can even get it inside a public toilet !!
:(

but seriously , if comes with a packet of free cigarrettes , will definetly help in spreading linux ... :grin:

sonny
July 9th, 2005, 06:40 PM
I think it's a good idea, but you'll have to write a note. Cuz no one in his/hers right sense will install something found in the toilet.

And put some links to the open source software movement, to ubuntu, to linux, the wikipedia, etc. so they get to know more about ubuntu, and the linux movement.

I can imagine reading a post that says, hey I'm new to Ubuntu just found some cd's in a public toilet going to Virginia Beach.

BWF89
July 9th, 2005, 06:45 PM
I think it's a good idea, but you'll have to write a note. Cuz no one in his/hers right sense will install something found in the toilet.

And put some links to the open source software movement, to ubuntu, to linux, the wikipedia, etc. so they get to know more about ubuntu, and the linux movement.

I can imagine reading a post that says, hey I'm new to Ubuntu just found some cd's in a public toilet going to Virginia Beach.
The CD's im giving away are the CD's you order from Cancocil Ltd or whatever Mark Shuttleworth's company is. It comes in a very professinoal looking cardboard paper container with everything aobut OSS and Ubuntu written on it.

Each cd case I'm going to tape to the walls also comes with a live cd and an install cd.

alred
July 9th, 2005, 07:23 PM
yes , the linux community is smart , creative , spontanous and passionate ...

but i guess it's not so nice to paste LINUX inside a toilet , if you are on vocation , is it not better for you to just give out Linux on the spot to anybody together with some slight explaination to what you are trying to do , i mean doing this kind of thing like "spreading Linux on foot" with your own time and for free , without being paid by anybody ...

i am very sure that very few linux user can bring themselves to do that ....

good spirit !! BWF89 ...

sonny
July 9th, 2005, 07:42 PM

but i guess it's not so nice to paste LINUX inside a toilet , if you are on vocation , is it not better for you to just give out Linux on the spot to anybody together with some slight explaination to what you are trying to do , i mean doing this kind of thing like "spreading Linux on foot" with your own time and for free , without being paid by anybody ...

good spirit !! BWF89 ...
Hey.. that's a nice idea... the Linux Walkers.

alred
July 9th, 2005, 07:55 PM
erh ?? the Linux Walkers ?
ha ! not bad a label either , it's just 10-15 CDs or so , it's not that hard ...
i mean , vacation , beach , new friends , you get the picture ?

totalshredder
July 9th, 2005, 08:28 PM
Here's something I've been thinking about, instead of just throwing the old disks away or taping them to bathroom stalls (blegh) you give them to thrift stores and goodwills and stuff. That way even though people might have to pay 50 cents or so to pick one up, they get around. So, every time you pass something like that drop a few off at the donation place, you could even write a note inside.

Luke

BWF89
July 9th, 2005, 08:51 PM

good spirit !! BWF89 ...
Well the thing is that since Linux isn't compatible with my Canon S520 printer I don't actually duel-boot it with Windows yet. So it would be a little awquard to give out a Linux cd to somoene and be like "Well I don't actually use this OS but here you go".

But when I get back from vacation I'm going to try to convince my parents to let me partition about 5-7 Gigabyes of the hard drive to the EXT3 file partition so I can duel boot Fedora Core 4. Because I want to build a Linux system for my Sega Dreamcast but the instructions on how to do so are written as if your useing a UN*X type system. I would duel boot with Ubuntu but I don't like to use the text installer while for duel booting. If I was going to erace Windows completely off my hard drive and just run Ubuntu as my main OS the text installer wouldn't bother me in the least. But Fedora's Anaconda installer is one of the greatest things ever.

BTW, does anyone know if Fedora comes with Synaptic out of the box?

alred
July 9th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Well the thing is that since Linux isn't compatible with my Canon S520 printer I don't actually duel-boot it with Windows yet. So it would be a little awquard to give out a Linux cd to somoene and be like "Well I don't actually use this OS but here you go".

But when I get back from vacation I'm going to try to convince my parents to let me partition about 5-7 Gigabyes of the hard drive to the EXT3 file partition so I can duel boot Fedora Core 4. Because I want to build a Linux system for my Sega Dreamcast but the instructions on how to do so are written as if your useing a UN*X type system. I would duel boot with Ubuntu but I don't like to use the text installer while for duel booting. If I was going to erace Windows completely off my hard drive and just run Ubuntu as my main OS the text installer wouldn't bother me in the least. But Fedora's Anaconda installer is one of the greatest things ever.

BTW, does anyone know if Fedora comes with Synaptic out of the box?

hmm ... i get what you mean ...

if you can convince your parent to let go extra 5-7GB of disk space for learning something new or what , then by all means , go ahead with the installation of Fedora Core 4 , make a dual boot , infact frankly speaking i never tried Fedora , i use redhat9 which is my main linux(manily for hobby programming) , Fedora should be similar to redhat i guess ...
as for ubuntu , i my opinion , after using the boot loader from Fedora to "detect" your Windows partition , you may try to get yourself another secondary harddisk(if possible) and install ubuntu on it , but don't let ubuntu install it boot loader , after the ubuntu installation you can boot back to your Fedora and edit the boot loader configuration file to point to your ubuntu on that secondary harddisk and that is how i acheived my tripple boot between redhat , ubuntu and Windows ...

should not be any problem if you try , you can ask around this forum if have problems , nowdays linux installation are getting easier , don't let any "Linux Incompatibility"(be it hardware or applications or file formats) stop you from installing linux ....

PS :: as for those extra CDs , totalshredder idea is a better one i guess , just don't paste inside a public toilet ... \\:D/

Kvark
July 9th, 2005, 09:39 PM
How does the cardboard paper containers canonical ships look, like a CD case or a box? - Cause if someone finds a box taped to the wall of a toilet in usa then the bomb squad and CIA's anti terrorist agents would come rushing.

Anyway. In the past we had the Jehovah's Witnesses knocking on peoples' doors, stoping people in town, leaving bibles on hotel rooms and flyers on park benches. In the future, we will have Tux's Witnesses doing that.

BWF89
July 9th, 2005, 09:40 PM
should not be any problem if you try , you can ask around this forum if have problems , nowdays linux installation are getting easier , don't let any "Linux Incompatibility"(be it hardware or applications or file formats) stop you from installing linux ....

PS :: as for those extra CDs , totalshredder idea is a better one i guess , just don't paste inside a public toilet ... \\:D/
Well I turn 16 in about 7 months so I'll probably be gettign a job shortly after. When that happens I can either 1. Save up for a new computer to install Linux on or 2. Buy a linux compatible printer for my existing computer and duel boot. I'll probably do number 2 so I can be in 100% control of what happens on my PC.

When I get my drivers licence I might donate my linux cd's to this Goodwill store we have near us.

How does the cardboard paper containers canonical ships look, like a CD case or a box? - Cause if someone finds a box taped to the wall of a toilet in usa then the bomb squad and CIA's anti terrorist agents would come rushing.
No no, it's just a paper pouch that holds 2 CD's in it.

Here are some pics I found on the net of what they look like
http://www.svay.com/blog/images/ubuntu-disks.jpg

Lord Illidan
July 9th, 2005, 09:41 PM
I would never take a cd pasted on a bathroom toilet. Who knows if it is a virus scam. YOU know it is not, but do the people know? They hear a funny sounding name, "Ubuntu"..bang, it is a virus, don't touch it. Also, you can get in trouble with the management. Now, giving them away to friends is ok..

Lord Illidan
July 9th, 2005, 09:42 PM
Anyway. In the past we had the Jehovah's Witnesses knocking on peoples' doors, stoping people in town, leaving bibles on hotel rooms and flyers on park benches. In the future, we will have Tux's Witnesses doing that.

I agree, the last thing Linux needs is for its evangelists and spreaders to become recognised as a nuisance.

alred
July 9th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Well I turn 16 in about 7 months so I'll probably be gettign a job shortly after. When that happens I can either 1. Save up for a new computer to install Linux on or 2. Buy a linux compatible printer for my existing computer and duel boot. I'll probably do number 2 so I can be in 100% control of what happens on my PC. When I get my drivers licence I might donate my linux cd's to this Goodwill store we have near us.

greate !!

as for the rest of bomb squad and CIA's anti terrorist agents and Tux's Witnesses and "Ubuntu"..bang ,
ha ha , equally fun too ... :grin:

BWF89
July 9th, 2005, 10:01 PM
greate !!

as for the rest of bomb squad and CIA's anti terrorist agents and Tux's Witnesses and "Ubuntu"..bang ,
ha ha , equally fun too ... :grin:
I'm not telling anyone they should actually do this but a bomb squad getting sent into a reststop to retrive a Ubuntu Linux cd might actually give us some publicity if it got put on the news.

alred
July 9th, 2005, 10:13 PM
I'm not telling anyone they should actually do this but a bomb squad getting sent into a reststop to retrive a Ubuntu Linux cd might actually give us some publicity if it got put on the news.

hmm ... seriously you do have a point down there , actually news are just news anyway , people are doing that for the sake of publicity , it works actually ....

btw , it's not wrong to be passionate , infact i been there before , why not ! ... :smile:

Kvark
July 9th, 2005, 10:46 PM

When you put it that way, a picture popped up in my head...

Someone should make a short amateur movie in early star treck style. About the classical "chrashed ufo gets taken to area 51" conspiracy. With an ubuntu logo on the ufo, as opening mechanism or something. Then they manages to retrive an ubuntu disk from the alien computer and goes "now this magificent piece of alien technology is in the hands of human beings".

BWF89
July 9th, 2005, 10:53 PM
When you put it that way, a picture popped up in my head...

Someone should make a short amateur movie in early star treck style. About the classical "chrashed ufo gets taken to area 51" conspiracy. With an ubuntu logo on the ufo, as opening mechanism or something. Then they manages to retrive an ubuntu disk from the alien computer and goes "now this magificent piece of alien technology is in the hands of human beings".
That would be cool.

BWF89
July 15th, 2005, 08:36 PM
I just got back from vacation. It was pretty good. My parents and I went parasailing at 1200 feet.

I'll post the list of where I placed all the x86 Warty Warthog cd's when I find the piece of paper I wrote the locations down on.

ubuntp
July 15th, 2005, 11:23 PM
I think free CDs have a bad reputation ever since AOL started to flood the world with them, so i'd probably ignore them.

debian_n00b
July 16th, 2005, 04:09 AM

I laughed when I read that.

The poster has good ideas. But how about placing a nice pamphlet along with the cd. And maybe select "cleaner" venues to play santa, huh?

libraries...waiting rooms...mailboxes...there are all kinds of appropriate areas to expose people to Ubuntu and OSS

BWF89
July 16th, 2005, 04:56 AM
libraries...waiting rooms...mailboxes...there are all kinds of appropriate areas to expose people to Ubuntu and OSS
It is a federal offence (atleast in the USA) for anyone except a government certified mailperson to place any object into a mailbox except the mailbox's owner.

UbuWu
July 16th, 2005, 11:34 AM
It is a federal offence (atleast in the USA) for anyone except a government certified mailperson to place any object into a mailbox except the mailbox's owner.

What??????????????? That is crazy....

Henrik
July 16th, 2005, 11:50 AM
For distributing CDs to strangers, I think the best option is to physically hand it to them, as was mentioned, because then you can put in a few words and they will remember.

That's what we did last year on Software Freedom Day (http://softwarefreedomday.org/gallery/) at various locations around the world. At that time we handed out a 2-CD pack of TheOpenCD and Knoppix. This year, our CD (http://www.theopencd.org/index.php?option=com_static&staticfile=screenshots-v3.0.html&Itemid=47) contains Ubuntu Live :) Ubuntu fans should join in this year's celebrations! (date: September 10th)

lotusleaf
July 17th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Has anyone had success in getting Ubuntu Linux carried by their local public libraries for people to check out? I haven't tried, but from what I read in the following linked article, it may be difficult:

"Getting open source into public libraries" (http://www.newsforge.com/software/03/12/14/1545216.shtml) (newsforge.com)

Granted the above article was written in 2003 so I'm wondering if the climate is any different today.