PDA

View Full Version : Post Something You've Done With Linux!

Fidelio
June 17th, 2007, 02:31 AM
Go on!
Me, I'm a die hard cubase fan. In fact it's the only reason I have windows on one of my PCs. But I'm downloading Ubuntu studio, and curious to see what it can do. I'll muck about for a week and post some music. Can anyone else show me what can be done with it?

fredj
June 17th, 2007, 04:12 AM
I've just been experimenting with the Realtime Kernel. I can play nine stereo audio tracks while recording
an audio track at the same time in Rosegarden (free software). All this at a latency of 2.9 msec well up
into the professional audio range. This is on a notebook computer with an Intel 850 HDA sound chip. Not
bad really. So by using Linux I not only got a free operating system, I got a free high quality mutitrack
studio as well.

Fidelio
June 18th, 2007, 11:12 PM
OK. But what does it sound like!
I'm curious to see what can be done. Sure I know you can do mulitrack, but I'm used to a whole bunch of synths and plugins, midi options, many of which are available free for windows. Of course quite a few I paid good money for. If linux cuts it as an audio os, post a link to some good music!

weblordpepe
June 20th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Well I know for sure that you can run Native Instruments Kontakt in linux. Interestingly on this laptop, the USB MIDI keyboard won't work in XP.

It says there isn't enough power for the device. Tried everything. Won't work. Booting into normal Ubuntu, plugging in the USB MIDI keyboard works without a hitch.