PDA

View Full Version : The Ubuntu Cult (continued)

Adamant1988
June 16th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Ok, continuing from the thread before. Does anyone think it's getting a bit sad how Shuttleworth is being placed on a pedestal? There are all kinds of jokes about how Mac users do this to Steve Jobs (God, that man is a genious, where would computing be without him I ask you?!) and ill-feelings about 'The Cult of Mac'. Yet it seems that a good portion of the free-software community, and the Ubuntu community have placed Shuttleworth on an equally creepy pedestal.

The community hangs on his every word as law (Hence the saying: "Because sabdfl said so (tm)"
On Digg if it says "Ubuntu" it WILL be dugg, regardless of contents. There are other examples, but I don't care to point them out, right now (maybe in a few posts).

I'm not the only one who sees this happening, but I'm just wanting to have a good level-headed discussion about it. No name calling, no arguments. Let's just work together, in peace, to find a solution for this problem.. its what Shuttleworth would want us to do.

Ripfox
June 16th, 2007, 07:49 PM
wow.

Anthem
June 16th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Pefect.

Can we get a mod in here to move all of Adam's "Ubuntu Cult" stuff out of the Patent thread? Then we could actually discuss the recent news without needing to read this thread.

juxtaposed
June 16th, 2007, 08:22 PM
People like ubuntu, and they like the person without whom ubuntu wouldn't be possible.

You and your crazy rants :P

EdThaSlayer
June 16th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Well, since we are all Ubuntu users, we like to look up to the great prophet who made all of this possible(like juxtaposed said). We aren't really a cult, we don't charge for cash and we allow people to leave Ubuntu, as long as they don't really post a hate topic on these forums. :P

DC@DR
June 16th, 2007, 08:25 PM
:shock:

floke
June 16th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Adam Ant - who, in the previous thread insisted that he only came here to talk about 'things that mattered' and that he didn't like people who just kept going on about things 'since it looked like they were trying to get attention'.

You give no examples of anyone putting Shuttleworth on a pedestal.

Its all very boring.

Go away.

iceportal
June 16th, 2007, 08:31 PM
I in no way idolize Mark Shuttleworth.

I do, however, admire him very much for what he's doing for the Free Software community.

His stance on community in software is one that benefits everyone, and his decision to personally fund Ubuntu in its beginnings (and to this day) is an amazingly selfless act.

I'm not saying he's God or that he's my Ultimate Infallible Hero or anything.

But I do admire him for what he's done and what he's doing.

Does that make me a part of the "Ubuntu Cult?"

ShareBuntu
June 16th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Ok, continuing from the thread before. Does anyone think it's getting a bit sad how Shuttleworth is being placed on a pedestal? There are all kinds of jokes about how Mac users do this to Steve Jobs (God, that man is a genious, where would computing be without him I ask you?!) and ill-feelings about 'The Cult of Mac'. Yet it seems that a good portion of the free-software community, and the Ubuntu community have placed Shuttleworth on an equally creepy pedestal.

The community hangs on his every word as law (Hence the saying: "Because sabdfl said so (tm)"
On Digg if it says "Ubuntu" it WILL be dugg, regardless of contents. There are other examples, but I don't care to point them out, right now (maybe in a few posts).

I'm not the only one who sees this happening, but I'm just wanting to have a good level-headed discussion about it. No name calling, no arguments. Let's just work together, in peace, to find a solution for this problem.. its what Shuttleworth would want us to do.
What do you think is a solution to the "problem"?

Ripfox
June 16th, 2007, 08:33 PM
BTW I think Feisty is final now so you can change your status from "testing user"

oh no iv'e exposed myself! I AM IN THE CULT!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

ticopelp
June 16th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Huh. I wasn't aware this was a problem.

Well, where do I pick up my robe and prayer book?

Ripfox
June 16th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Huh. I wasn't aware this was a problem.

Well, where do I pick up my robe and prayer book?

can't stop laughing :lolflag:

igknighted
June 16th, 2007, 08:47 PM
I am with you adamant... I was a very loyal Ubuntu user until I looked around and realized that it is exactly like the Mac crowd, and maybe even worse (if that is possible). Since that point I haven't used Ubuntu as my primary distro. I hang around here because I find the Other OS Talk to be the best spot on the internet for discussions of other distros, and the Cafe is great for general news... but until there is an attitude change I will not use Ubuntu.

Ripfox
June 16th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Can someone PLEASE post these examples or posts where people are engaging in "cult" behavior or treating Shuttleworth as "God"

jgrabham
June 16th, 2007, 08:54 PM
How much to get to level 5?? :]

floke
June 16th, 2007, 08:58 PM
This is the thread that never ends....

Ignighted has a logic problem: Don't use ubuntu due to cult behaviour. But come here because best place to discuss other distros. So not a very good cult then eh?

smoker
June 16th, 2007, 09:01 PM
hme, don't see what the problem is here?

i see shuttleworth as an altruistic humanitarian, i wish there were a lot more like him in the world today,

as a god, no, but if i ever see him 'walk on water' then i may change my mind!

:-)

KiwiNZ
June 16th, 2007, 09:09 PM
as this thread has not been backed by examples I can only assume it to be trolling.I am going to close it

Motoxrdude
June 16th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Whats wrong with putting shuttleworth on a pedistol? I mean, without him ubuntu wouldn't exist. Are you jealous of him or something?