PDA

View Full Version : Best video/DVD player?

FRuMMaGe
June 16th, 2007, 06:09 PM
I have been using Ubuntu with XP dual-boot for about 3 months now, and my experience has been great! I have gradually weened (If that's how you spell it) myself off windows completely, and have a pure Ubuntu laptop, with great specs.

I like watching DVD's and/or downloaded shows such as Family Guy, and have used Totem up until now. However, it just seems a bit... unfinished. I would much preffer an all-in-one good-looking video player (much like Amarok).

Here are the specs of my laptop if it makes a difference:
Intel Core Duo (Dual-Core)
Intel 945G integrated Graphics
160 GB Hard-Drive
2 GB of RAM
Built-in 10/100 and 54G Wireless LAN
etc.

Any suggestions will be welcome as I have lots of free space availiable so I can try out any programs recommended.

lixy
June 16th, 2007, 06:45 PM
This is a very subjective subject. I don't see anything wrong with Totem (except maybe the RAM usage and lack of configurability). Maybe you should specify what you mean by "unfinished". Do you want more features like in Amarok that enables you to manage your video? Do you wanna sync with some external players? Please by specific. And remember, there's no panacea software that does well at everything (though Amarok is truly amazing!). The world is made of conpromises.

ShareBuntu
June 16th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Can't go wrong with VLC.

spockrock
June 16th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Bytes;2856199']Can't go wrong with VLC.

QFT, though 5.1 is broken on the linux version or at least the one in the ubuntu repos.

Polygon
June 16th, 2007, 06:59 PM
i love totem for playing DVD's. It has a really nice full screen interface, something that VLC lacks.

the only problem with totem is that when you are trying to move the slider to go to different parts in the DVD or movie, the sliders position in respect to the movie is kinda an illusion.... takes a bit getting used to

FRuMMaGe
June 16th, 2007, 07:01 PM
This is a very subjective subject. I don't see anything wrong with Totem (except maybe the RAM usage and lack of configurability). Maybe you should specify what you mean by "unfinished". Do you want more features like in Amarok that enables you to manage your video? Do you wanna sync with some external players? Please by specific. And remember, there's no panacea software that does well at everything (though Amarok is truly amazing!). The world is made of conpromises.

I would like a good GUI with dvd compatibility and some nice features for managing videos.

Also, some dvd rips have desynched audio (audio lags behind or is too fast), I would like a way to edit the offset of the video/audio to synchronise them. There is nothing more irritating than watching a video when the voices are about half a second out of synch.

juxtaposed
June 16th, 2007, 07:03 PM
I used to use VLC most, but the version in the debian repos is broken (can't install vlc-nox because of some broken package) so I have to use the nightly builds, and that version isn't that great (as expected).

Mplayer crashes alot, xine does annoying stuff and sometimes crashes, and totem acts odd sometimes.

ShareBuntu
June 16th, 2007, 07:03 PM
There is nothing more irritating than watching a video when the voices are about half a second out of synch.
I've experienced that with Totem. VLC seems to play video files much better. Lots of advanced features to tweak too.

luca_linux
June 16th, 2007, 07:46 PM
I like MPLAYER.

BarfBag
June 16th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Xine-UI is the best overall. However, there's a bug in Metacity that prevents the full screen controls from working. :(

I use SMPlayer now. Has everything I need. Since it's based on MPlayer, there's no support for DVD menus, though.

Ripfox
June 16th, 2007, 08:14 PM
+1 Vlc

mainalisuyog
June 16th, 2007, 08:20 PM
xine-ui is the best for dvds, i think. It works great for me, and kinda resembles cyberlink powerdvd.

mrreality13
June 17th, 2007, 02:53 AM
VLC works well for me

aLeX90
June 17th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Xine-UI is the best overall. However, there's a bug in Metacity that prevents the full screen controls from working. :(

I use SMPlayer now. Has everything I need. Since it's based on MPlayer, there's no support for DVD menus, though.

WOW...SMPlayer is GREAT!!, before a tried it I use MPlayer and VLC but this one is the best for me ^^.
Thank you a lot for the recommendation

scourge
June 17th, 2007, 02:36 PM
I think Kaffeine's the best, even for Gnome users. Unlike Mplayer it always displays video files with the correct aspect ratio. It's also the easiest player for watching and recording digital TV. It just works.

cybrid
June 18th, 2007, 12:42 AM
Well, I think this is a part where an improvement could make a difference. On windows to be able to play almost every available video format I just install a codecs pack and vlc and there I'm ready. On GNU/Linux it may be a nightmare, native linux players do not work well, gstreamer is a good initiative, but c'mon still no decent dvd playback? on 2007 ?. Xine is an alternative but again it has it's own problems. Why isn't already a know combination of engine+codecs+player(ui) that works for everything common?.

johnny4north
June 18th, 2007, 12:47 AM
mplayer is my fav for ubuntu. and gxine for puppylinux.;)

newbie2
June 26th, 2007, 07:41 PM
as i type :
VLC media player : 2.5 downloads per second
wow!!! :shock: :mrgreen:
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Ssj3_man
June 27th, 2007, 03:42 AM
Vlc Vlc Vlc Player !

SunnyRabbiera
June 27th, 2007, 04:01 AM
I like SMplayer, its a mplayer front end that doesnt mess around.
Its based on qt, but does its job well