PDA

View Full Version : Yes! Shuttleworth states his position on Patent Licensing

Anthem
June 16th, 2007, 05:23 PM
This is a relief. Mark's a pretty well-spoken guy, when he wants to be.

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/127

Allegations of “infringement of unspecified patents” carry no weight whatsoever. We don’t think they have any legal merit, and they are no incentive for us to work with Microsoft on any of the wonderful things we could do together. A promise by Microsoft not to sue for infringement of unspecified patents has no value at all and is not worth paying for. It does not protect users from the real risk of a patent suit from a pure-IP-holder (Microsoft itself is regularly found to violate such patents and regularly settles such suits). People who pay protection money for that promise are likely living in a false sense of security.

That's what I wanted to hear.

Adamant1988
June 16th, 2007, 05:29 PM
This forum frightens me sometimes... and I thought the Steve Jobs - Apple Fanatic syndrome was bad in people. There is absolutely no reason to hang onto every word that man says.

(Also, it was all over the news a week or so ago that he wasn't going to do a patent deal of any kind)

Ebuntor
June 16th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Mark also posted about this on the forum a few hours ago.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2852475&postcount=16

Adamant1988
June 16th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Mark also posted about this on the forum a few hours ago.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2852475&postcount=16

Oh my god? Mark visited us peasants?!

Ripfox
June 16th, 2007, 05:53 PM
And I see absolutely no reason for the sarcasm. He was just posting a bit of information, and I happened to find it useful.

Ebuntor
June 16th, 2007, 05:57 PM

What's your problem? I simply posted a link. As Ripfox already stated no need for sarcasm. :)

Adamant1988
June 16th, 2007, 05:59 PM
And I see absolutely no reason for the sarcasm. He was just posting a bit of information, and I happened to find it useful.

Sorry, but it's just a bit more than a tad irritating to see the entire community hanging on every word that Shuttleworth says. As soon as the Linspire deal happened there were news articles all over the web "What will shuttleworth do? What will he say? Shuttleworth will protect us!" That's JUST the news articles I've seen, the forums are worse. People have stopped thinking for themselves and whatever Shuttleworth says is law, and that's just frightening.

<snipped>

Adamant1988
June 16th, 2007, 06:00 PM
What's your problem? I simply posted a link. As Ripfox already stated no need for sarcasm. :)

I wasn't mocking you, just so much the tone of the original post. I apologize if you misunderstood what I meant by that. No hard feelings, right?

deanlinkous
June 16th, 2007, 06:06 PM
There is absolutely no reason to hang onto every word that man says.

I don't hang on his or anyone elses word but IMO it is very important for it to be said IMO. He gained a brownie point in my book.... Sharp contrast to the contradictory words of another linux distro "leader"

Ripfox
June 16th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Shuttleworth could command the forum users to eat baby kittens to further free software, and I bet some of them would do it without question...

Ok guy, now you are just being lame. Speak for yourself if you value your own opinion so much.

Adamant1988
June 16th, 2007, 06:09 PM
I don't hang on his or anyone elses word but IMO it is very important for it to be said IMO. He gained a brownie point in my book.... Sharp contrast to the contradictory words of another linux distro "leader"

I know you don't, but the only time you even appear on these forums is whenever Linspire is in the news again. It never ceases to amaze me how half of the Linspire community comes over here whenever that happens (You included).

Yeah, Shuttleworth is a good guy, I'm just not willing to propel him to this god-like status that whenever he makes a judgment call it will completely brighten up my day, or even cause excitement in my life.

Anthem
June 16th, 2007, 06:17 PM
I wasn't mocking you, just so much the tone of the original post. I apologize if you misunderstood what I meant by that. No hard feelings, right?
Not sure I understand this. What exactly is it you object to in the original post? Nobody's asking Mark what to think, and there's no indication that such a thing is going on.

I was worried that Canonical might sign an agreement, because then I'd have to find a new distro. It's not happening, so we're good to go.

spockrock
June 16th, 2007, 06:18 PM
I am glad to hear mark saying this, because if conical made a deal with MS over patents, then I will take ubuntu off and go back to debian.

gnomeuser
June 16th, 2007, 06:19 PM
This forum frightens me sometimes... and I thought the Steve Jobs - Apple Fanatic syndrome was bad in people. There is absolutely no reason to hang onto every word that man says.

(Also, it was all over the news a week or so ago that he wasn't going to do a patent deal of any kind)

There is some kind of cult like behavior going on.. being an unbeliever (I'm a Fedora Developer) I get to observe it from the outside, it's both educational and a bit scary to be honest.

aktiwers
June 16th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Cmon Adam.. please! No one is giving him a godlike status.. but he is financing this OS most of us are using, or at least pumping money and time into it. Off cause its interesting to hear what he has to say.

Adamant1988
June 16th, 2007, 06:21 PM
There is some kind of cult like behavior going on.. being an unbeliever (I'm a Fedora Developer) I get to observe it from the outside, it's both educational and a bit scary to be honest.

Precisely, I wrote a pretty extended blog about how Ubuntu's community was using viral person-to-person marketing in combination with an almost cult-like atmosphere to grow..

By tone of the original post I mean: "Yes! Shuttleworth states his position on Patent Licensing!"

Cmon Adam.. please! No one is giving him a godlike status.. but he is financing this OS most of us are using, or at least pumping money and time into it. Off cause its interesting to hear what he has to say.

Eh, I'll just say this.. there is a reason that the joke: "cause sabdfl said so (tm)" exists.

aktiwers
June 16th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Eh, I'll just say this.. there is a reason that the joke: "cause sabdfl said so (tm)" exists.

I haven't heard that joke.

spockrock
June 16th, 2007, 06:31 PM
on a side note I kinda understand what Adamant1988 is trying to say, some people take the ubuntu thing way to far, and you need just go to Digg.com, where no matter how lame the article is it will be dugg, you can't sate creative criticism about ubuntu or apple for that matter without being buried. Lets not make ubuntu the next apple, where the founder and leader has a reality distortion field around him and the users worship him as a god, and make an operating system into a religion.

Ebuntor
June 16th, 2007, 06:32 PM

Sure, no problem.

Shuttleworth could command the forum users to eat baby kittens to further free software, and I bet some of them would do it without question...

ROFL :D the Ubuntu cult :p

Ebuntor
June 16th, 2007, 06:40 PM

Well hanging onto every word would indeed kinda ridiculous but he is the founder and financier of Ubuntu and Canonical. With everyone afraid he might sign a deal with MS an announcement from him about this situation is important.

BetaguyGZT
June 16th, 2007, 06:52 PM
As politely as I'm capable of being, I'll say that you have a right to your opinion -- but I feel that you're wrong concerning this issue.

Mr.Shuttleworth (and yes, it's Mister Shuttleworth) deserves a little more respect than he's getting from a few others in this thread. He funds Ubuntu largely from his own resources because he has the means to do so. Mr.Shuttleworth is the man in charge; and in my view has taken the correct and prudent stance on this whole issue with patents and IP to keep Ubuntu moving forward. Without Mr.Shuttleworth there would be no Ubuntu.

I suggest that the disrespectful and infantile mistreatment of Mr.Shuttleworth should stop, and that you look at the larger picture going on, instead of nit-picking and being part of the problem. You're obviously intelligent, why not help instead, and contribute in some way, rather than be abrasive.

Or, you could always use Fedora. That community might better fit your style.

Dr Eigen
June 16th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Is it only me that thinks its somewhat ironic that they guy complaining about a personality cult has big bold political affiliations in his sig?

BetaguyGZT
June 16th, 2007, 06:55 PM
+1.

DC@DR
June 16th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Oh yes, Mark! You made my day. Cheers ;-)

Adamant1988
June 16th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Is it only me that thinks its somewhat ironic that they guy complaining about a personality cult has big bold political affiliations in his sig?

Because I want to see the man get elected. Big difference. I think he's the best candidate running for president right now, but he's on the fringe of his party so I'm trying to help get the word out :)

As politely as I'm capable of being, I'll say that you have a right to your opinion -- but I feel that you're wrong concerning this issue.

Mr.Shuttleworth (and yes, it's Mister Shuttleworth) deserves a little more respect than he's getting from a few others in this thread. He funds Ubuntu largely from his own resources because he has the means to do so. Mr.Shuttleworth is the man in charge; and in my view has taken the correct and prudent stance on this whole issue with patents and IP to keep Ubuntu moving forward. Without Mr.Shuttleworth there would be no Ubuntu.

I suggest that the disrespectful and infantile mistreatment of Mr.Shuttleworth should stop, and that you look at the larger picture going on, instead of nit-picking and being part of the problem. You're obviously intelligent, why not help instead, and contribute in some way, rather than be abrasive.

Or, you could always use Fedora. That community might better fit your style

He deserves respect for all that he's done, and I give him that. He doesn't need a cult following, which is what's happening. When I first joined these forums Shuttleworth was held as a very smart man who started Ubuntu. Now, about a year later, Mark is being treated as some benevolent being who can do no wrong, and the masses of the forums and the Linux world eagerly await him to speak. It's kind of frightening, really.

deanlinkous
June 16th, 2007, 06:59 PM
I know you don't, but the only time you even appear on these forums is whenever Linspire is in the news again. It never ceases to amaze me how half of the Linspire community comes over here whenever that happens (You included).
Really, have you looked at my post history? I do not live here, if that is what you mean. I am more active at (many) forums when something is going on that I care about - and less active at other times. I did not think that was hard to understand. Mkaes it sound like you are saying that the only people that should be here are the true-believers....kind cultish IMO. I do not care to constantly jack-jaw my rants/blogs/opinions all the time - only for issues that matter. Constantly harping about something could be a sign that you just want attention and to be heard and acknowledged....seeking constant attnetion. Sort of like a cult leader.

Yeah, Shuttleworth is a good guy, I'm just not willing to propel him to this god-like status that whenever he makes a judgment call it will completely brighten up my day, or even cause excitement in my life.
I don't know if he is or isnt. Doesn't matter to me. I place value in the words - and that is a statement that has value and the same value would be placed on the same words uttered from anyones mouth. Joy is in the ears that hear....

I dont place people on pedestals....that spot is reserved for ideals, beliefs, values.

blastus
June 16th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Well I'm glad Shuttleworth clarified his position.

So are you saying his word is no good? Are you saying he's a lier?

Adamant1988
June 16th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Really, have you looked at my post history? I do not live here, if that is what you mean. I am more active at (many) forums when something is going on that I care about - and less active at other times. I did not think that was hard to understand. Mkaes it sound like you are saying that the only people that should be here are the true-believers....kind cultish IMO. I do not care to constantly jack-jaw my rants/blogs/opinions all the time - only for issues that matter. Constantly harping about something could be a sign that you just want attention and to be heard and acknowledged....seeking constant attnetion. Sort of like a cult leader.

LOL, no I didn't mean any offense, but I've been around long enough (and argued with you enough) that you are here mostly when Linspire is in the news. You'll bash them, and give everyone a good show until the news calms down and then we see very little of you until Linspire is back in the news. Just noting a trend is all. :)

(PS Love chatting with you, you should frequent the social discussion forum. You're allowed to have your own opinion there ;) )

Henry Rayker
June 16th, 2007, 07:04 PM
I actually agree with Adamant on this one. One of the primary reasons for my leaving Ubuntu behind was the sickening cult feeling. Honestly, the people here take everything WAY too far. Not only that, but I don't like what I've termed the "promise shift"...when I first joined, everyone was very gung-ho about getting better support for laptops and wireless....well, the last 2 releases seem to have broken more wireless than they've fixed, and I STILL haven't had a single release properly set up my laptop's monitor. Fedora has better monitor support, easier mp3 support (granted I haven't fooled with Feisty much at all), much easier and complete wireless setup, as well as much much MUCH better documentation. (in my somewhat limited experience, at least) All with the added bonus of no cult!

To the poster who claims Shuttleworth deserves more respect, I didn't see you refer to Adamant as Mr.Adam (or Mr.Ant, or whatever). Shuttleworth is just a guy with loads of money to blow funding free software....that doesn't make him any more or less due respect. Honestly, I think he's a great guy, but from the tone of your post, you sound like the one mixing the kool-aid. Just wanted to let you know ahead of time, though....the comet's not gonna pick you guys up!

Ripfox
June 16th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Where is this "cult following" anyway? I have been here like a year and all I ever see is people helping people with Ubuntu mostly. Sounds to me like you have a focus on this issue for some reason, and maybe it "frightens" your ego that he is a successful developer who people respect...?

deanlinkous
June 16th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Because I want to see the man get elected. Big difference. I think he's the best candidate running for president right now, but he's on the fringe of his party so I'm trying to help get the word out :)
Exactly. You believe in what he stands for.....not necessarily the person himself - just that he espouses what you believe in.

Same as what Shuttleworth just uttered - I believe his stance is the proper stance.

Same with RMS and the FSF. I do not hold any of the people/organizations in high regard. I do hold the ideals that they espouse in high regard, therefore they have my support.

He deserves respect for all that he's done, and I give him that. He doesn't need a cult following, which is what's happening. When I first joined these forums Shuttleworth was held as a very smart man who started Ubuntu. Now, about a year later, Mark is being treated as some benevolent being who can do no wrong, and the masses of the forums and the Linux world eagerly await him to speak. It's kind of frightening, really.
Can do no wrong.... No I think some people ragged about him and the artwork, I think some ragged about the CNR deal, I think some ragged about the proprietary drivers.

I would say it is the same now as it ever was. Yes, some follow him blindly wherever he goes and others follow because he goes in the direction they consider appropriate...Maybe you just moved from one category to the other and now realize it?

Adamant1988
June 16th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Where is this "cult following" anyway? I have been here like a year and all I ever see is people helping people with Ubuntu mostly. Sounds to me like you have a focus on this issue for some reason, and maybe it "frightens" your ego that he is a successful developer who people respect...?

it's kind of hard to see the whole storm if you're standing in the middle of it, right ripfox?

Adamant1988
June 16th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Exactly. You believe in what he stands for.....not necessarily the person himself - just that he espouses what you believe in.

Same as what Shuttleworth just uttered - I believe his stance is the proper stance.

Same with RMS and the FSF. I do not hold any of the people/organizations in high regard. I do hold the ideals that they espouse in high regard, therefore they have my support.

Can do no wrong.... No I think some people ragged about him and the artwork, I think some ragged about the CNR deal, I think some ragged about the proprietary drivers.

I would say it is the same now as it ever was. Yes, some follow him blindly wherever he goes and others follow because he goes in the direction they consider appropriate...Maybe you just moved from one category to the other and now realize it?

I think you misunderstand me dean. I wasn't accusing you of being a part of any of the many free software cults available these days. Agreeing with Shuttleworth isn't a bad thing, the guy has a good head on his shoulders.

As for Ron Paul, absolutely, I believe in the man's stances and I think they're the best way to approach problems that we're having today in America. If he was a front-runner candidate I would not have this sig though ;)

But some people don't have the control you do. The men become the symbol of what they represent. I know that Linus himself has a small cult following, and RMS has a small cult following. Shuttleworth has a cult following too in the form of a LOT of Ubuntu users.

Also, the artwork, and the CNR deal, and the proprietary drivers all exposed the people who feel he can't do anything wrong. Of course not EVERY forum member holds Shuttleworth up to be some kind of a god-sent prophet of Free software, but there is a vocal group on these forums that will completely pull a 180 on their own personal beliefs JUST BECAUSE Shuttleworth expressed a different belief. It's scary.

Good example: You ever seen the movie "Fight Club". Sometimes the Ubuntu forums remind me of that.

Ripfox
June 16th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Dude, I use Ubuntu because it (mostly) works. I think what Mr. Shuttleworth has accomplished is remarkable. I want to hear what he has to say about important issues regarding the distro HE founded. This hardly makes me a kool-aid drinker. All of it is a purely logical chain of events, with none of the implied fanaticism. Why is this hard to understand that people want pertinent information? I cannot believe this all started with an innocent link to a statement by (once again) the man who started this distro (and on its community forum...:o)

deanlinkous
June 16th, 2007, 07:17 PM
LOL, no I didn't mean any offense, but I've been around long enough (and argued with you enough) that you are here mostly when Linspire is in the news. No I am here (and at any forums) when something important is going on. Otherwise I do not give a rats *** about constantly offering opinions about stuff that doesnt matter to me.

You'll bash them,
If by "bash" you mean "tell the whole truth" then yes I sure will. I think the bad should be considered with the good and way too many people act like a cult when it comes to spire. Just want to offer some contrast to that.

then we see very little of you until Linspire is back in the news. Just noting a trend is all.
Where is your proof. I offered my post history as proof of the opposite and yet you obviously did not look at it.

(PS Love chatting with you, you should frequent the social discussion forum. You're allowed to have your own opinion there ;) )
I dont care to offer my opinons to everyone about everything. I find it silly....fun....but silly. Offering your opinon and expecting people to hang on your every word is.....well....kind of cultish. :D

Ebuntor
June 16th, 2007, 07:18 PM
it's kind of hard to see the whole storm if you're standing in the middle of it, right ripfox?

Ripfox does make a good point actually. I regularly visit the forums but I never noticed any kind of cult behavior or any idolizing of Mark Shuttleworth.
Could you give a few examples? A few forums posts?

I actually do feel bad for Anthem though. All he did was post a link to an interesting article and now this thread has gone completely off-topic and changed into a debate.

blastus
June 16th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Ubuntu is a cult?? If you don't like Ubuntu or it simply isn't for you then that's fine, move on to something else which may be better suited for you. No one is forcing you to drink blood or something. Really, this discussion is becoming borderline ridiculous.

starcraft.man
June 16th, 2007, 07:20 PM
LOL! Wow, I can't believe that this thread has garnered so many posts about Shuttleworth (and the rest of the off topic discussion about him). Honestly, is that all that concerns you (those who seem so concerned with his position)? Not cutting a deal with MS? So the most important thing there is, is to screw/stick it to MS? Are none of you actually here because (like me) you love the OS itself? Want to help others, promote learning, informed choice about your OS/software... maybe even contribute to development (I'm getting there, I'm a bit slow now since I been busy answering so many new people questions). Am I talking senseless and hopeless ideals that should mean something but don't?

More to the point I feel kinda sad when I wonder how many more people with 0 replies to their threads could have had answers and become happier Ubuntu users instead of this thread.

Just to add, I don't subscribe to any cult like mentality (as some have said). My brain functions just fine and it lets me decide things on my own. I did decide to come to Ubuntu because I was tired of MS, I don't abide by hardware lock in like Apple and I tried other solutions and settled on this one as my favourite. I do promote Ubuntu to people I know, I don't think you have to be part of a cult to do so, I don't manipulate people into trying it. I make it an option, if they ask then I show them, its up to them.

I think thats all I got to say on this thread... I'm gonna go do something now like answer questions.

Anthem
June 16th, 2007, 07:23 PM
I actually do feel bad for Anthem though. All he did was post a link to an interesting article and now this thread has gone completely off-topic and changed into a debate.
Well, it's bizarre actually. Adam came out of nowhere with this "People ask Shuttleworth what to think" stuff. There were plenty of threads (and newsprint) speculating about whether Canonical would cave like Xandros, Linspire, and SUSE. I thought a thread to clear that up would be helpful. Obviously, that's not what this thread has become.

There are more questions, of course: What's this do with the CNR/Linspire deals? Are we ever going to find out what these 235 patents are? Are there any other commercial dealers (besides RedHat) that MS still has to go after? What, specifically, would Mark like to partner with Microsoft on? I figured the thread would talk about that, instead of Adam's weird fixation with Shuttleworth. I mean, the dude is only 19 and I understand that some young people like to fight, but this is a little silly.

Adamant1988
June 16th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Ripfox does make a good point actually. I regularly visit the forums but I never noticed any kind of cult behavior or any idolizing of Mark Shuttleworth.
Could you give a few examples? A few forums posts?

Yeah, Anthem is a good guy, but the title itself is what prompted this.

"Yes! Shuttleworth states his position on Patent Licensing" << COOL! This thread title is what I was referring to more than anything with my posts. It's not really that big of a cause for excitement, he's repeated his opinion patent licensing over and over and over, he even took the time out of his busy day of saving souls from proprietary software to go troll on the SuSE-DEVEL mailing list, and let THEM know his opinion too.

I dont care to offer my opinons to everyone about everything. I find it silly....fun....but silly. Offering your opinon and expecting people to hang on your every word is.....well....kind of cultish
I actually find it a very fun experience without being silly. I don't expect people to hang on my words, but I think it's wonderfully educational to have a good ol' fashioned debate about important topics (and a lot of less important topics). I particularly have enjoyed debating with you in the past over Linspire, but that's not possible now because we tend to agree about them (You claimed that I "nailed them" in another post, but you didn't seem to know it was me ;) ) Which is just sad, because I enjoy being on the other side of the argument with you :P

deanlinkous
June 16th, 2007, 07:24 PM
I think you misunderstand me dean.
Yes, some people follow blindly. Look at the linspire forums. Can there be more contradiction in the words uttered by KC. Yet, people still follow along.

But I think you accused the wrong people or brought it up at the wrong moment, in the wrong place, over the wrong statement. This statement IS a reason to follow and admire.

Start a new thread and I will likely agree with you....

Start one at the freespire forums and I definately will...:D

My main question is why are you just NOW noticing this???

Ripfox
June 16th, 2007, 07:26 PM
doh!

Ripfox
June 16th, 2007, 07:27 PM
LOL! Wow, I can't believe that this thread has garnered so many posts about Shuttleworth (and the rest of the off topic discussion about him). Honestly, is that all that concerns you (those who seem so concerned with his position)? Not cutting a deal with MS? So the most important thing there is, is to screw/stick it to MS? Are none of you actually here because (like me) you love the OS itself? Want to help others, promote learning, informed choice about your OS/software... maybe even contribute to development (I'm getting there, I'm a bit slow now since I been busy answering so many new people questions). Am I talking senseless and hopeless ideals that should mean something but don't?

More to the point I feel kinda sad when I wonder how many more people with 0 replies to their threads could have had answers and become happier Ubuntu users instead of this thread.

Just to add, I don't subscribe to any cult like mentality (as some have said). My brain functions just fine and it lets me decide things on my own. I did decide to come to Ubuntu because I was tired of MS, I don't abide by hardware lock in like Apple and I tried other solutions and settled on this one as my favourite. I do promote Ubuntu to people I know, I don't think you have to be part of a cult to do so, I don't manipulate people into trying it. I make it an option, if they ask then I show them, its up to them.

I think thats all I got to say on this thread... I'm gonna go do something now like answer questions.

Well, then you go save some souls on another thread oh high priest of thread answerers

lol

JUST JOKIN' :D

Adamant1988
June 16th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Well, it's bizarre actually. Adam came out of nowhere with this "People ask Shuttleworth what to think" stuff. There were plenty of threads (and newsprint) speculating about whether Canonical would cave like Xandros, Linspire, and SUSE. I thought a thread to clear that up would be helpful. Obviously, that's not what this thread has become.

There are more questions, of course: What's this do with the CNR/Linspire deals? Are we ever going to find out what these 235 patents are? Are there any other commercial dealers (besides RedHat) that MS still has to go after? I figured the thread would talk about that, instead of Adam's weird fixation with Shuttleworth.

Back on topic:

1) I don't expect the CNR deal to change. It's an agreement between two businesses. We ALL knew/know that Linspire Co. will engage in activities that the Ubuntu community will not agree with. This whole patent nonsense with them doesn't change a thing, as far as I'm concerned.

2) I kind of doubt that WE will ever know what those 235 patents are, but I am led to believe that the FSF already knows which patents are which, since Microsoft's accusations of infringement are based on the FSF's findings.

3) There are probably a ton of fringe Linux vendors who are in talks with Microsoft right now. I expect Mandriva to, just to get the cash from them. It seems like mostly businesses that are failing are the ones who are accepting the terms of this deal.

4) I only brought that up because lately it's been on my mind how I can't read a single Linux related news article that's not treating Shuttleworth like Atlas. Like I said, that's just the news too :(

juxtaposed
June 16th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Sorry, but it's just a bit more than a tad irritating to see the entire community hanging on every word that Shuttleworth says.

People were just worried that their OS might sell out to microsoft. Now they know it won't...

Personally, I know that debian would never do anything like that, so i'm happy :D It would be hard to anyway, as it's not really a company...

Adamant1988
June 16th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Yes, some people follow blindly. Look at the linspire forums. Can there be more contradiction in the words uttered by KC. Yet, people still follow along.

But I think you accused the wrong people or brought it up at the wrong moment, in the wrong place, over the wrong statement. This statement IS a reason to follow and admire.

My main question is why are you just NOW noticing this???

It's not new. I wrote a blog some months ago about it, it's just now getting to the point where it's getting a bit out of control. I agree that Shuttleworth has a fairly good position on this (which is easy for him to take since Canonical isn't American) and that it's favorable with the target audience of Ubuntu (Free software lovers)

Adamant1988
June 16th, 2007, 07:31 PM
People were just worried that their OS might sell out to microsoft. Now they know it won't...

Personally, I know that debian would never do anything like that, so i'm happy :D It would be hard to anyway, as it's not really a company...

The problem is that this isn't new information. He's said it OVER and OVER and OVER again.

deanlinkous
June 16th, 2007, 07:32 PM
and RMS has a small cult following
Actually I dont think RMS has ANY cult following. I don't honestly think he wants one. What he preaches is "free software" and those ideals stand on their own. When it hits you, it has nothing to do with RMS - since he is so offensive(is that the right word) or he is so.... He is hairy, not overly attractive probably smelly, eats his toe-jam, picks his nose ----- but his ideals and his beliefs shine thru all that. It isn't his personality, it isn't his character, it isn't his professionalism. The simple fact that it isn't any of that - makes it that much more stronger that it has to be the ideals of free software.

The ideals of free software is my shining star that I follow....RMS just happens to be the smelly, hairy guy that is in front of everyone pointing at the star. :D

IMO if you ever met RMS you would know that he doesnt want your belief to be in him, or about him, but about software freedoms.

starcraft.man
June 16th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Well, then you go save some souls on another thread oh high priest of thread answerers

lol

JUST JOKIN' :D

LOL, high priest? You mean, Praetor? or maybe Executor? aye... I like the sound of that :D.

Oh wait wuups, I meant to exit the thread... off to spam ... uh, I mean answer questions :p.

Edit: have fun with your cult discussion.

deanlinkous
June 16th, 2007, 07:34 PM
The problem is that this isn't new information. He's said it OVER and OVER and OVER again.
Never so straight and forward and to the point IMO AND the fact that he said it recently makes it more ballsy IMO.

Ripfox
June 16th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Well it was the first time i saw it, and it was useful to me.

deanlinkous
June 16th, 2007, 07:35 PM
It's not new. I wrote a blog some months ago about it, it's just now getting to the point where it's getting a bit out of control. I agree that Shuttleworth has a fairly good position on this (which is easy for him to take since Canonical isn't American) and that it's favorable with the target audience of Ubuntu (Free software lovers)
WHOA months ago....wow that is like a lifetime. :)

I think it will affect how much CNR is *integrated* into ubuntu. In fact, I think it may blow the deal completely.

Adamant1988
June 16th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Never so straight and forward and to the point IMO AND the fact that he said it recently makes it more ballsy IMO.

Well, he actually did say it in a very straight forward manner. But the interviewer twisted what he said to make it say something like "we'd love to work with Microsoft".

Ripfox
June 16th, 2007, 07:37 PM
I have to go now...must get ready for pickup by comet...see all in promised land...

Adamant1988
June 16th, 2007, 07:38 PM
WHOA months ago....wow that is like a lifetime. :)

I think it will affect how much CNR is *integrated* into ubuntu. In fact, I think it may blow the deal completely.

Hey now, I've only been around the community for like a year :P

Anyway, I kind of doubt it will... hasn't CNR been separated from Linspire and turned into a seperate entity that probably isn't covered by the terms of the patent agreement?

Oki
Thanks for posting Anthem. I didn't believe Mark would think differently, but its always good too hear it out load. I was reading in the Linispire forum yesterday(poor them), and it is good to know we are «safe» here with nice Ubuntu! I just love Ubuntu more and more :p

Spr0k3t

\\:D/=D>:-\":lolflag:

can't... stop... laughing

deanlinkous
June 16th, 2007, 07:39 PM

repeated....so I dont have to repeat myself :D

Adamant1988
June 16th, 2007, 07:40 PM
repeated....so I dont have to repeat myself :D

I'll start a thread just for you. Cause I love you SOOOOOOOOO much.

deanlinkous
June 16th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Hey now, I've only been around the community for like a year :P

Anyway, I kind of doubt it will... hasn't CNR been separated from Linspire and turned into a seperate entity that probably isn't covered by the terms of the patent agreement?
Now we are OT....

But that is a good point....In fact, I woudl say you are SPOT-ON. They will keep CNR out of this deal. They will push linspire as the distro as the goodies and still make money on CNR.

Good point but then again why do people want CNR if it cannot offer the goodies. But I think you are likely correct.

deanlinkous
June 16th, 2007, 07:44 PM
I'll start a thread just for you. Cause I love you SOOOOOOOOO much.
Now that is weird and kind of scary since I live about 15min away from Princeton, WV. Makes me want to move a little further away from you now.... :p

RAV TUX
June 16th, 2007, 07:46 PM
This is a relief. Mark's a pretty well-spoken guy, when he wants to be.

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/127

That's what I wanted to hear.Nice.

Adamant1988
June 16th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Now that is weird and kind of scary since I live about 15min away from Princeton, WV. Makes me want to move a little further away from you now.... :p

I didn't know you were in WV. That's really cool. I have met like... 5 people in the Ubuntu community in WV now, lol.

Anthem
June 16th, 2007, 07:54 PM
2) I kind of doubt that WE will ever know what those 235 patents are, but I am led to believe that the FSF already knows which patents are which, since Microsoft's accusations of infringement are based on the FSF's findings.
But that study wasn't about Linux distributions infringing on Microsoft technologies, it was about the kernel and patents. Microsoft claims all sorts of stuff that's not kernel-related. There's no relationship between the two.

floke
June 16th, 2007, 08:20 PM

Absolutely. Nice one.

Ditto.

...the only time you even appear on these forums is whenever Linspire is in the news again. It never ceases to amaze me how half of the Linspire community comes over here whenever that happens (You included).

From someone who pops up whenever anyone has anything to say about SuSe...hmmm. Actually, come to think of it; if you love sEsU so much, and dislike Ubuntu, then why are you here? Why don't you go back to the SUSeee forums? I'm sure they'd love to hear your self-opinionated rants.

Precisely, I wrote a pretty extended blog about how Ubuntu's community was using viral person-to-person marketing in combination with an almost cult-like atmosphere to grow

Oooh you wrote a blog! Can't wait to read it. Your mum must be so proud. Viral marketing eh? A bit like your signature then? Actually, thinking about it further, why are you here ranting when you could be spending your time helping people? Is it because, as a supporter of a rapid right-wing idiot you don't believe in helping people?

It is funny to hear you complain about cultism, given that your the only one here with their own picture in their avatar (unless that's supposed to be Harry Potter...?). SuSego anyone??

Mkaes it sound like you are saying that the only people that should be here are the true-believers....kind cultish IMO

Personally I wouldn't recommend ubuntu given the kernel update fiasco. So I ain't no cultist here.

And you probably don't know this, but from where I come from AdamAnt is the name of a washed-up pop star from the 1980s with mental problems; and is also the name of a firm that makes toilets.

Dr Eigen
June 16th, 2007, 08:41 PM
I agree that Shuttleworth has a fairly good position on this (which is easy for him to take since Canonical isn't American) and that it's favorable with the target audience of Ubuntu (Free software lovers)

WTF??? :shock:

What ON EARTH does the guys nationality have to do with his opinions about software???? I'm Australian, living in Sweden. Does that mean you should listen to me, or ignore me???

8-[

Adamant1988
June 16th, 2007, 09:17 PM
WTF??? :shock:

What ON EARTH does the guys nationality have to do with his opinions about software???? I'm Australian, living in Sweden. Does that mean you should listen to me, or ignore me???

8-[

Software patents don't have any effect on Canonical, and therefor aren't a threat. The common thread between EVERY SINGLE distribution that has signed this patent agreement with Microsoft is that they're American and patents present a threat to them.

The point was that it's very easy for Mark to have this stance because there is absolutely no threat to him or Ubuntu.

1) Not an American distro, so no patent problems.
2) We (the users) are covered the OIN.

So, the patent clause of any deal with Microsoft would be worthless.

Adamant1988
June 16th, 2007, 09:26 PM
From someone who pops up whenever anyone has anything to say about SuSe...hmmm. Actually, come to think of it; if you love sEsU so much, and dislike Ubuntu, then why are you here? Why don't you go back to the SUSeee forums? I'm sure they'd love to hear your self-opinionated rants.

I'm a lot more fond of the Ubuntu forums, more active userbase ;) Also, I have never once said I dislike Ubuntu, you're putting words in my mouth, or posts, whatever. Also, isn't "self-opinionated" a little redundant?

Oooh you wrote a blog! Can't wait to read it. Your mum must be so proud. Viral marketing eh? A bit like your signature then? Actually, thinking about it further, why are you here ranting when you could be spending your time helping people? Is it because, as a supporter of a rapid right-wing idiot you don't believe in helping people?

Ouch, personal attacks. Nice. If you'd care to debate this in PM, or over any of the instant messenger accounts I have made available, I would be more than happy to talk to you.

It is funny to hear you complain about cultism, given that your the only one here with their own picture in their avatar (unless that's supposed to be Harry Potter...?). SuSego anyone??

I support SuSE, absolutely. I also support Fedora, Ubuntu, and Mac OS X because those are the ones I follow closely for information. I don't know what having my photo as my avatar has to do with cultism, but it's been a standard procedure on pretty much any social site I am a part of. Not because I'm a cultist, but because it gives a sense of personalization to my accounts. Correct me if I'm wrong, sir, but isn't that one of those 'oh so trendy' customized versionf of a Linux-Penguin in YOUR avatar?

In anycase, I apologize to Anthem for hijacking his thread, if any of you would like to debate this further with me my email account is easily available, and any IM account on my profile is active and usable (except for skype, I haven't re-installed that yet).

MetalMusicAddict
June 16th, 2007, 09:28 PM
My god this thread is ridiculously OT. Come on. Are we all in the Special Olympics?

Really. I swear this forum has been over-run with people who take every thread OT and post nothing but General Chat threads.

I so wish we could get back to the days of technical threads and stop arguing over OPINIONS.

Adamant1988
June 16th, 2007, 09:32 PM
My god this thread is ridiculously OT. Come on. Are we all in the Special Olympics?

Really. I swear this forum has been over-run with people who take every thread OT and post nothing but General Chat threads.

I so wish we could get back to the days of technical threads and stop arguing over OPINIONS.

Right, back to socialdiscussion then. I'll do my part and end this here.

floke
June 16th, 2007, 09:34 PM

Watch it: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=467421

deanlinkous
June 16th, 2007, 09:37 PM

Well I guess that is your OPINION! :p

floke
June 16th, 2007, 09:38 PM
To get rid of the crap, I've started this thread afresh here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2857159#post2857159

All credit to Anthem for the topic.