....maybe some of you might be interested
:)

starcraft.man
June 16th, 2007, 02:57 PM
the most complete word processors review I've ever read
http://www.donationcoder.com/Reviews/Archive/WordProcs/
....maybe some of you might be interested

Bleh, another comparison... I'm sticking to OO. I don't need any ribbon to do my work.

karellen
June 16th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Bleh, another comparison... I'm sticking to OO. I don't need any ribbon to do my work.

have you read it at least?...it's not about ribbons and the old "ms office is better than openoffice"....

Which word processor is the best? Depends on whom you ask. The good news is that there are several great choices among word processors now, including online word processors that bring needed collaboration and publishing features, centered around the ODF format, which is not tied to any specific word processor vendor.

Thus this review won't champion a "winner," because most of the word processors reviewed were either good or very good. With so many good choices in the word processor category, it's impossible to say someone shouldn't use something like TextMaker or Atlantis if they like it, are productive with it, and it suits their needs. And debates between Word and OpenOffice often come down to cost and control in the end for businesses; personal preference for individuals. So you don't feel cheated, if you skip to the very end, I do offer my own personal choices within each category and the briefest reasons why. if you have read this you probably wouldn't post the reply in the first place
I hate when people jump to conclusions

starcraft.man
June 16th, 2007, 03:23 PM
have you read it at least?...it's not about ribbons and the old "ms office is better than openoffice"....
if you have read this you probably wouldn't post the reply in the first place
I hate when people jump to conclusions

Yes, I did give it a quick glance over the OO and MS office sections (I skipped the rest, wasn't interested in them...). It pointed out a lot of things I already knew, including things I didn't like about Office, the main four are:
- Price (full versions are overpriced)
- Licence restrictions
- OGA (genuine advantage my ***)
- OOXML, I dislike the new formats from MS, it was an unnecessary creation meant to lock you in to Office.

I will give you that may be the least biased and nicely presented comparison, but I don't see any particular need for another one... I mean, while its nice do you really think that many people will see it and choose another product based on it? Most people on Windows just get Office preinstalled and stick with it unfortunately...

karellen
June 16th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Yes, I did give it a quick glance over the OO and MS office sections (I skipped the rest, wasn't interested in them...). It pointed out a lot of things I already knew, including things I didn't like about Office, the main four are:
- Price (full versions are overpriced)
- Licence restrictions
- OOXML, I dislike the new formats from MS, it was an unnecessary creation meant to lock you in to Office.

Besides, I've seen enough comparisons of features, I know both products inside and out. I will give you that may be the least biased and nicely presented comparison, but I don't see any particular need for another one... most people out there will never see it.

well....what caught my attention was the fact that not only openoffice and ms office were implied in the review. I found out about many less-known word processors - like TextMaker, Atlantis or even WordPerfect X3 (I know, probably they are familiar to many, but I knew almost nothing about them). So it seemed a useful source of information, at least for me...

starcraft.man
June 16th, 2007, 03:49 PM
well....what caught my attention was the fact that not only openoffice and ms office were implied in the review. I found out about many less-known word processors - like TextMaker, Atlantis or even WordPerfect X3 (I know, probably they are familiar to many, but I knew almost nothing about them). So it seemed a useful source of information, at least for me...

Aye, I agree with you there. There are lots of alternatives to OO and Office. I don't really count Wordperfect, I never liked that suite and its paid... maybe its just me, some of my friends swear by it. It is refreshing though to see choice, I'm just stuck in my ways :).

Oh and whats with no one else posting, we the only two users who use Office suites? :p

Spr0k3t
June 16th, 2007, 05:01 PM
I love working with OOo... I don't have to bother with MS at all when I use it and everyone in the family is quite happy with OOo over the new atrocious layout of 2007.

The five problems I have with Office 2007 are:
- The Ribbon (if I could list it twice, I would)
- Price
- License restrictions
- OOXML, (there will be a class-action suit eventually, MS was instructed by the DoJ to utilize the open standards w/OASIS)

I don't know what it would take to really convey my disgust for the ribbon. It's a step back in the GUI Usability area. Yes I've used it... for months now (at work), and I'm constantly pulling open a copy of OOo to get the real work done and convert it over to spec format as needed. There are some features of 2007 I like over 2003... but they are very few and I'm starting to see them in the SVN of OOo.

maddot
June 16th, 2007, 05:09 PM
eh? msoffice07 isn't that bad, except for that crummy tab thingy. I guess if you give it alittle time you would prolly be accustomised to it. Microsoft screwed up by not having an option by default to disable the tabs and to revert to the tried true and tested file/edit/view...

Oo has been my friend for the last 5 years. The lesser known ones....never heard of erm..lmao so never tried... but now i know it exsist... so the comparison site ain't totally useless.

Spr0k3t
June 16th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Abi is awesome but has it's major quarks. Papyrus is also pretty good, yet still has it's quarks. Most of the problems were actually detailed quite well in the linked article.

karellen
June 17th, 2007, 09:59 AM
I find office 2007 hugely overpriced (the only edition that it's reasonably to buy is the student edition at $149 - which is stripped down of many features). I agree it does some things nicely, but I hate the default .docx format and the pricing policies of microsoft - come on, $400 for the standard edition and $500 for the professional one, it's just unjustified for an office suite. you can buy a decent pc with this amount of money.
for a student/home user - openoffice does the job just fine. and for free (gratis)