PDA

View Full Version : Why should anyone switch to linux?!

colddayinapril
June 16th, 2007, 08:57 AM
The answer? simple, you guys!

Aside from all the major talking points flung around in the open-source v. Microsoft debate, theres one major benefit that i think any new user to any new OS needs, and it's found right here. Support. Good support. Patient, forgiving, knowledgeable community support.

I'm a noob... nubliest of the nubs when it comes to linux, but even sitting here, not knowing my a$$ from a kernel in the ground, I'd still pick linux. Why, cause every problem I've had (and i've quite a few in the last 36 hours) and have brought here has been met with quick, helpful, and friendly support. When you have a problem with XP, and the help files are'nt doing it for you, what dose Microsoft tell you to do? "Suck it!", thats what.

yes, linux is a pain. Yes it's hard to learn. however, unlike windows, the tools, resources, and (most importantly) the community are all there, ready, and waiting to be helpful. This place is like a giant intuitive help file with an itchy trigger finger. When i find i have a new problem, I half expect it to already be answered on my behalf before i post anything.

Bottom line: You guys kick a$$!
viva la open source!

PS
in case you can't tell, i'm new to this :D

steven8
June 16th, 2007, 08:59 AM
Welcome to Linux, and welcome to Ubuntu. You have, of course, nailed it right on the head!! Enjoy!

shareMenaPeace
June 16th, 2007, 09:14 AM
100% ACK, but more importent SECURITY

WalmartSniperLX
June 16th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Welcome to Ubuntu/GNU/Linux. You didn't have to say we kick a$$ because we already know that. Just kidding haha.

I choose Linux because of the freedom, which can branch to many great advantages.

patrick295767
June 16th, 2007, 10:44 AM
To make use of old computers as 486 SX/DX ... for internet surfing
Servers , multimedia centers, ...

WalmartSniperLX
June 16th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Oh and I know we all enjoy the security and freedom from virus/malware/trojans/adware/spyware/etc

bigken
June 16th, 2007, 10:46 AM
yep it has also put the fun back into computing

raul_
June 16th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Why should anyone switch to linux?!

Because they want to :)

Anonii
June 16th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Welcome to Linux, sir.

The Ubuntu community support (like nearly every Linux community support) is awesome. So, please, keep asking questions and give us some job to do.

daynah
June 16th, 2007, 12:36 PM
My friend defrags his omputer in class. He's an odd soul that pays attention. He has spends 18 hours a week in classes and has been defragging for two weeks.

I sit behind him in one of the classes and whisker "Liiiiiinux. LLLLLIIIIIIIInux."

laxmanb
June 16th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Have you tried the Windows Forums at Microsoft?? They're quite good too...

Rui Pais
June 16th, 2007, 03:03 PM
My friend defrags his omputer in class. He's an odd soul that pays attention. He has spends 18 hours a week in classes and has been defragging for two weeks.

I sit behind him in one of the classes and whisker "Liiiiiinux. LLLLLIIIIIIIInux."

:lol:
You should do that while he his asleep. To get to it's subconscious.
(of course he could only develop a suddenly affect by penguins and keep using Windows... there are always side effect ;))