PDA

View Full Version : Now Linspire ties up with Microsoft

dptxp
June 16th, 2007, 06:10 AM
Linspire Inc. has announced an agreement to license voice-enabled instant messaging, Windows Media 10 CODECs, and TrueType font technologies from Microsoft for its Linux distribution. Additionally, Microsoft will offer protection to Linspire customers against possible violations of Microsoft patents by Linux.

Details at - http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS9642338710.html

First Novell, then Xandros and now Linspire.

I do not like it.

steven8
June 16th, 2007, 06:18 AM
Don't blink. You'll miss the merging of your thread. :)

I am sick about this deal as well. Rest assured mark Shuttleworth ia against caving in to extortionist tactics!

WalmartSniperLX
June 16th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Wait why do you not like it? It allows MS patented things to be used legally on Linux. That's great. More compatibility.

And, just because it's an agreement doesn't mean MS is 'taking over' anything. They sure are promoting themselves outside their own boundaries, but it's for benefit in both directions.

steven8
June 16th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Wait why do you not like it? It allows MS patented things to be used legally on Linux. That's great. More compatibility.

And, just because it's an agreement doesn't mean MS is 'taking over' anything. They sure are promoting themselves outside their own boundaries, but it's for benefit in both directions.

Uh-Huh.

cunawarit
June 16th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Linspire Inc. has announced an agreement to license voice-enabled instant messaging, Windows Media 10 CODECs, and TrueType font technologies from Microsoft for its Linux distribution.

Sounds pretty darn good to me! The sort of thing that will make Lispire even more popular and easier to adopt amongst non-power user Windows converts.

steven8
June 16th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Additionally, Microsoft will offer protection to Linspire customers against possible violations of Microsoft patents by Linux.

I do not like it.

Sounds pretty darn good to me! The sort of thing that will make Lispire even more popular and easier to adopt amongst non-power user Windows converts.

Strange that you excluded this part, which is actually the most important part.

raul_
June 16th, 2007, 11:03 AM
So much for an Open Source OS. Then again, most Linux flavours are following this trend. I hope Mark Shuttleworth keeps his word. Richard Stallman must be a little disappointed

As a final note on licensing, Richard Stallman, founder of the GNU project and the Free Software Foundation, recently said of Linspire, "No other GNU/Linux distribution has backslided so far away from freedom. Switching from MS Windows to Linspire does not bring you to freedom, it just gets you a different master." Take that as you will.

in
http://distrocenter.linux.com/article.pl?sid=05/03/30/1346247&tid=127

EDIT: oh I forgot, i don't meen to start any flame wars here xD people are still free to chose what OS they use in their computer, i'm just saying that i wouldn't use Linspire nor Freespire.

dptxp
June 16th, 2007, 01:02 PM
I refuse to believe that Microsoft is doing this for the benefit of Linux. This shall gradually throttle the development work in Linux.

Linux may be lagging behind Microsoft in many areas, but Linux has come a long way over the last few years, and just when we are moving over to Linux with confidence, Microsoft gets in.

I certainly do not like it. I am sure that a lot of people do not like it. Users have started to use Linux in place of Vista, Microsoft surely has something in its mind. It would not be threating Linux if it loved Linux. I wonder how many Linux stuff Microsoft has in Windows, they have been accused (and I think convicted) of using others proprietory code illegally in the past

Please think about it.

Prisma
June 16th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Linspire Inc. has announced an agreement to license voice-enabled instant messaging, Windows Media 10 CODECs, and TrueType font technologies from Microsoft for its Linux distribution. Additionally, Microsoft will offer protection to Linspire customers against possible violations of Microsoft patents by Linux.

I do not like it.

You know Microsoft remind me of the movie "the godfather". When the mafia gangsters "asked" for money (extorted) the honest business people and in return they gave to them "protection" LOL :lol::lol::lol:

kamaboko
June 16th, 2007, 01:25 PM
These codecs are what Linux needs to engage more users. Any "business" person can see that. For Ubuntu to hold out will be suicide, b/c new Linux user's will gravitate toward Linespire. Why? Because they'll have greater access to web news feeds and videos. This is a significant downfall of Linux right now for the home user. They want it easy like Windows, and don't want to **** with work-around fixes.

steven8
June 16th, 2007, 01:39 PM
These codecs are what Linux needs to engage more users. Any "business" person can see that. For Ubuntu to hold out will be suicide, b/c new Linux user's will gravitate toward Linespire. Why? Because they'll have greater access to web news feeds and videos. This is a significant downfall of Linux right now for the home user. They want it easy like Windows, and don't want to **** with work-around fixes.

It's one thing to license technology, although in that case, you may as well use windows. . .why bother with Linux, but it's another thing to use strong-arm tactics like protection schemes. HUGE difference, for those keeping score.

MetalMusicAddict
June 16th, 2007, 01:54 PM

Codecs are a poor excuse. There are several legal ways to use win-codecs in Linux. Fluendo, the Co. that makes GSt, is one that does this. You really dont have a clue about free software if you think this will be Ubuntu's downfall.

kamaboko
June 16th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Codecs are a poor excuse. There are several legal ways to use win-codecs in Linux. Fluendo, the Co. that makes GSt, is one that does this. You really dont have a clue about free software if you think this will be Ubuntu's downfall.

More like you don't have a clue about business.

MetalMusicAddict
June 16th, 2007, 02:12 PM

LOL. OOOooo.... Showed me. :)

Thing is, you've shown your knowledge about free-software here. I've shown nothing of my business knowledge. ;) You have NO clue who your talking to.

But... "Arguing on the internet ..." Meh. Whatever.

Have fun. ;)

cmost
June 16th, 2007, 02:14 PM
What the hell is going on? I feel like I woke up in the twilight zone! I can't believe all of these Linux companies are joining forces with Microsoft. I for one have been completely Microsoft free for the past five years. I LOVE being free. The reason I run Linux is because of its community spirit and open nature (and the fact that Linux is possibly the most powerful, versatile OS on the planet.) I don't want anything ever to do again with Microsoft or their products again. I've even managed to convert many of my family and friends to Linux (PCLOS, Ubuntu & Mepis mostly.) I'm Linux's biggest advocate at my workplace. Everyone with half a brain knows that Microsoft is no friend to Linux. These overtures are merely manifistations of the old adage: "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." Microsoft sees a real threat in Linux and open source software in general. It's strategy will be to divide and conquer. The community needs to agree to disagree on some points but stand united nonetheless against this very real threat. If Microsoft thinks Linux infringes some of it's precious patents, then it needs to either show the community its evidence or shut up!

forrestcupp
June 16th, 2007, 02:33 PM
I refuse to believe that Microsoft is doing this for the benefit of Linux. This shall gradually throttle the development work in Linux.

Of course they're not. Just like any deal, Microsoft is doing this for Microsoft, and the Linux companies are doing it for Linux. I think there are people who want to use Linux, but they don't give a flip about software freedom. They just want to use Linux. That's who Linspire has always been made for, so why should a move like this surprise anyone?

Is software freedom the only thing that makes Linux a good OS? If so, a lot of people are lying in their arguments to convert people to Linux.

LookTJ
June 16th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Not sure if anyone said this already.

But what if these agreements lead to greater risk of spyware, security, and viruses?

Nekiruhs
June 16th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Ubuntu cant be killed by another Linux distro. So long as one person still uses good old Ubie, It can still be developed. It doesn't matter if new users go to Linspire or Freespire.
We don't gain or lose anything by having or not having new users. They can accept Linux for what it is or leave.

BTW. I came to Linux for a learning experience, not to have it easy. So just because its easy doesn't mean we lose users.

bonzodog
June 16th, 2007, 04:23 PM
I am going to repeat myself here.

It's all about physical boundaries. Nothing else.

It's only US distros that are doing this, as they are at most risk from MS Patent lawsuits. Outside of the US, none of what MS says or does matters.

Ubuntu is a UK distro, so it has no need to strike a deal like this.

juxtaposed
June 16th, 2007, 05:03 PM

Linux has played every codec i've tried to play.

deanlinkous
June 16th, 2007, 06:21 PM
If microsoft was truly offering us something then wouldnt they simply describe the patents and allow us to pay for those that we want and to remove the ones that were accidents or that we do not feel the need to pay for? That would be a fair patent deal IMO and show they were serious about competing on a fair level.

Honestly, does anyone think it is about something as simple as money. Sure they want linux to become expensive so that it puts them on more of a level playing field but overall that is a small thing. You cannot destroy linux with money. They want to stop it at 2% and the best way to do that is to break what makes it powerful and effective. What makes linux powerful and effective? one word - sharing. Sharing of ALL changes, sharing of ALL code, sharing of the OS with others. How do you break sharing? You simply make it unable to be shared. Now they have it....

forrestcupp
June 16th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Linux has played every codec i've tried to play.

I don't think it's just the codecs MS is giving Linspire. I think they are actually porting over Windows Media Player 10 so that Linspire users can run it. Everyone will say that their media player is better than WMP, but that doesn't change the fact that there are some websites that require WMP to play their media (not just the codecs).

Rhapsody
June 16th, 2007, 06:39 PM
I almost ended up on Linspire myself. However, I got plenty of recommendations for Ubuntu, and ended up using that instead. In the long term, I think this was the best choice.

CaptainTux
June 16th, 2007, 07:50 PM

Enlighten us, then. I've worked int he executive ranks of AT&T, ADP, Turtle Wax, and some other places in capacities such as Jr Exec, VP of sales and marketing, etc. and so far I have seen little of value or insight spill from your mouth. I have read the Crain's Chicago Business by the time you are contemplating your first cup of coffee....so I am ready for new insight....lemme have it kiddo.

Ripfox
June 16th, 2007, 07:57 PM
What the hell is going on? I feel like I woke up in the twilight zone! I can't believe all of these Linux companies are joining forces with Microsoft. I for one have been completely Microsoft free for the past five years. I LOVE being free. The reason I run Linux is because of its community spirit and open nature (and the fact that Linux is possibly the most powerful, versatile OS on the planet.) I don't want anything ever to do again with Microsoft or their products again. I've even managed to convert many of my family and friends to Linux (PCLOS, Ubuntu & Mepis mostly.) I'm Linux's biggest advocate at my workplace. Everyone with half a brain knows that Microsoft is no friend to Linux. These overtures are merely manifistations of the old adage: "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." Microsoft sees a real threat in Linux and open source software in general. It's strategy will be to divide and conquer. The community needs to agree to disagree on some points but stand united nonetheless against this very real threat. If Microsoft thinks Linux infringes some of it's precious patents, then it needs to either show the community its evidence or shut up!

RIGHT ON !!!

iceportal
June 16th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Hmm... An interesting thought that nobody's mentioned so far (that I've seen)...

Ubuntu and Linspire have announced a technology partnership. (It happened in February I believe.)

http://www.linspire.com/linspire_letter_archives.php?id=40

Ubuntu will benefit with the CNR software, and Linspire will (from now on) be based on Ubuntu instead of straight Debian.

So, all the talk about "ubuntu will die because of M$ mergers" is bunk. Even though Linspire has made a collaborative agreement with Microsoft, it will be based on (and contribute to) Ubuntu.

Even though some people believe Ubuntu will also partner with M$, I don't see it happening in the near future.

http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS5160975921.html

Dunno really what all of this will lead to, but thought it would be something good to add to the thread.

Hoonakwa
November 23rd, 2007, 10:46 PM
As a new user to linux I am trying to get away from Micro$oft. I love the fact that the software is free.
I have installed Unbutu to my computer and run it most of the time.

Long live Unbutu!
death to M$

-grubby
November 23rd, 2007, 10:51 PM
As a new user to linux I am trying to get away from Micro$oft. I love the fact that the software is free.
I have installed Unbutu to my computer and run it most of the time.

Long live Unbutu!
death to M$

btw, it's ubuntu, not unbutu

blithen
November 23rd, 2007, 11:01 PM
Personally I hate these deals going on.
They will not be good for linux in the future.
And besides I can feel naughty for possibly infringing on patents :P Gets my adrenaline going in the morning booting up Ubuntu and playing a DVD knowing technically I'm not suppose to xD

Tom Mann
November 23rd, 2007, 11:10 PM
What makes me laugh is that they haven't learned from Novell. Novell were first to do this, now a certain IP company in Texas, which happens to have gained employees from Microsoft are suing Novell. Microsoft will always find a way around their "agreements" if you wish to call it that. Microsoft's word in this area is as good as nothing.

Linuxratty
November 23rd, 2007, 11:26 PM
Microsoft will always find a way around their "agreements" if you wish to call it that. Microsoft's word in this area is as good as nothing.

I agree with your assessment. I quite honestly, trust Microsoft about as far as I can throw a bull elephant.
Now, I did use Linspire as my first distro,and Freespire as my second one. I have since moved on.

steveneddy
November 23rd, 2007, 11:49 PM

Interesting opinion on this one.

steveneddy
November 23rd, 2007, 11:51 PM

Some people have poor judgment.

ellis rowell
November 24th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Bear in mind that Microsoft are where they are now because they did "deals" with software writers or even took over software where the writers were unable to defend themselves. It's the Ford versus Harry Ferguson situation.

For those not old enough to remember, Harry Ferguson designed the hydraulic linkage used on all tractors today, patented it and was a small manufacturer in the UK. Ford obtained a licence to make the linkage in the USA and did not keep to the terms of the licence. Ferguson sued Ford. Ford dragged out the case to make Ferguson bankrupt. Ferguson amalgamated with Massey Harris of Canada and Ford gave in and settled out of court. Is Microsoft more powerful than Ford?

Gordy
November 24th, 2007, 12:27 AM

Money Talks....................

Scarath
November 24th, 2007, 02:03 AM
If Ubuntu made a deal with M$ i would take my data, uninstall and move on.

Im not a 'distro jumper', i have tried other distros but Ubuntu just works for me, however i'd gladly give up the stability that Ubuntu provides on principal.

I use linux for many reasons but like many in this thread, one of those reasons is that they find windows to be disagreeable or dislike M$ in general.
Therefore there will always be an M$ free distro.

I would be interested to know how many others would drop Ubuntu as quickly?

kopinux
November 24th, 2007, 02:56 AM
great! i would wake up one day and read the news, MS bought linspire...

welcome to the party.

come on MS i know you like linux, you are running it in your download server.

ticopelp
November 24th, 2007, 03:48 AM
Enlighten us, then. I've worked int he executive ranks of AT&T, ADP, Turtle Wax, and some other places in capacities such as Jr Exec, VP of sales and marketing, etc. and so far I have seen little of value or insight spill from your mouth. I have read the Crain's Chicago Business by the time you are contemplating your first cup of coffee....so I am ready for new insight....lemme have it kiddo.

*crickets* :KS

Linuxratty
November 24th, 2007, 04:25 AM
*crickets* :KS

:twisted: :)

TeaSwigger
November 24th, 2007, 04:46 AM
You know Microsoft remind me of the movie "the godfather". When the mafia gangsters "asked" for money (extorted) the honest business people and in return they gave to them "protection" LOL :lol::lol::lol:

And he scores!

That is in fact how that article read to me.

Are you sure you're correctly interpreting the purpose of Linux and Ubuntu? Because you mention it as if seen through the eyes of the "business" person, and as if those who want features owned by MicroSoft yet are unwilling to er, mess with work-arounds must be provided for. It's my understanding that Linux and ubuntu are offering... well, what they offer. A person freely chooses to take it upon themselves to use it and make it work for them as desired - or not. If a person wants Windows, then they too should be free to buy it. Free market, free choice, for Ubuntu and - evidently against their will - MicroSoft. Am I amiss?

djbsteart1
January 8th, 2008, 03:41 PM
it wouldnt matter what distro i was using, i would drop it if it sold out. oddly most people say that they have to leave so much behind when they leave windows, but it was the opposite for me, you gain so much, not only does ubuntu just work straight away, but you have the options to install so many different things and explore so much about computers that you didnt know before. where as with M$ you have to pay to install most software and spend time looking for it on the net, all of ubuntu's is in a list 2 clicks away, and free. i will admit there are some things i miss but what i have gained outweighs the losses by more than the amount that i dislike bill and his regime.