PDA

View Full Version : anybody tried mozilla Deer Park??

bgstratt
July 9th, 2005, 02:25 AM
I'm just wondering, I just put it on one of the comps this evening, and so far, so good. It seems to run a little bit smoother than Firefox, and I haven't had any mysterious closures so far. I may have gone a bit backwards from what I should have, first I removed all the mozilla items, then after I installed deerpark I copied the plugins over and reinstalled the mozilla-mplayer, it works, as well as the other plugins, just had to copy them over from the firefox plugin directory. I don't see much difference from firefox in terms of the layout, other than the prefs, which are tabbed on top instead of icons on the side. Overall seems the same though, just a little smoother and quicker.

<<edit>> correction, I reinstalled mozilla-mplayer, then copied the plugins, didn't want to confuse anybody

TravisNewman
July 9th, 2005, 02:40 AM
ooohhh shiny. downloading now

TravisNewman
July 9th, 2005, 02:48 AM
I just told it to install to my profile and didn't delete anything. Firefox still works and all. That doesn't mean it's safe. Actually, anyone who downloads this should be prepared to suffer the consequences. That said, I don't see any issues at all, but I don't see much different. The new browser features sound cool though

bgstratt
July 9th, 2005, 02:58 AM
I did encounter one slight setback with java, and had to go to java.com to get the latest so I could play some online games, but that may have been affected by my rampant removing of mozilla in synaptic. It is almost identical to Firefox though, and it did have the same bookmarks as well, but you are entirely right on, it is an alpha so there are no guarantees, like there ever are any though? hehe

<<edit>> I gotta tell you, it's pretty funny to see the computer say Deer Park when it looks just like firefox, and then Deer Park blocked a pop-up, makes me think of the southpark intro song

WildTangent
July 9th, 2005, 03:09 AM
am i missing something? what is this deep park?

-Wild

bgstratt
July 9th, 2005, 03:15 AM
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/deerpark/releases/alpha1.html

Ah yes, perhaps I should have explained a little, it is I am guessing the next browser in line after firefox, not sure though, but it looks just like firefox, only a little faster, I think, and it is an alpha release, not an official one.

TravisNewman
July 9th, 2005, 03:19 AM
yeah it's the next gen firefox. It does seem a little speedier. I guess this is where trunk has been going while I've been totally out of the loop. Before firefox went gold (1.0) I was downloading each and every nightly build in either windows or linux (depending on which I was booted into, before my purge of Windows) and Mac OSX, both trunk and branch.

Can't wait for more to develop here. I've been using Firefox since the Phoenix 0.1 pre-release, the first public release, and Mozilla development has never disappointed me

AgenT
July 9th, 2005, 03:28 AM
At first I thought that this was some joke. Then after reading a "serious" reply (hi panickedthumb!) I thought it was some OSS version of Deer Hunter. Luckly Google said otherwise.

*tip* for those that do not know, Deer Hunter^H^H^H^H^H^H Park is a release of the next generation Firefox browser currently in alpha stage (first release in fact).

bgstratt
July 9th, 2005, 03:36 AM
At first I thought that this was some joke. Then after reading a "serious" reply (hi panickedthumb!) I thought it was some OSS version of Deer Hunter. Luckly Google said otherwise.

With a name like Deer Park, trust me, I thought it was a joke too, but then again, "Mozilla" and "Firefox" are a little off too, wouldn't have it any other way. :)

jdodson
July 9th, 2005, 04:06 AM
i tried it. when i was using it i was like "hey that new go menu item is VERY handy!" then i opened 1.0.2, yeah ok it was in there, i didnt notice:)

beyond that, it added something cool, forget what, guess it wasnt like ground breaking, i dont really remember what it was.

in the end it was too buggy, something was broken..... i think it was flash. anyways, back to standard hoary fox.

Ride Jib
July 9th, 2005, 05:20 AM
Is it just me, or does this whole name-changing thing bother anyone else? How are you supposed to build a brand-name when with every major release you change the name of your software?? I notice this trend a lot in the oss world.

TravisNewman
July 9th, 2005, 05:27 AM
codenames, not new names necessarily. We're always Ubuntu Linux but we have codenames that we use to refer to specific releases.

FireFusion
July 9th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Deer Park is NOT the new name of Firefox.

Deer Park is the Alpha build of Firefox 1.1 (which will be called Firefox 1.1 when it is properly released). They called it Deer Park to prevent end users from downloading and using it (as it is still unstable and for testing purposes only).

However this whole Deer Park thing seems to have got more users interested. They should have just called it "test build" or something.

endy
July 9th, 2005, 10:05 AM
<snip>

However this whole Deer Park thing seems to have got more users interested. They should have just called it "test build" or something.

The more people that use it and help squash bugs the better, and besides I like the code names :)

primeirocrime
July 9th, 2005, 11:04 AM
I tried it, but celtx wouldn't work. Back to 1.0.4

TravisNewman
July 9th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Deer Park is NOT the new name of Firefox.

Deer Park is the Alpha build of Firefox 1.1 (which will be called Firefox 1.1 when it is properly released). They called it Deer Park to prevent end users from downloading and using it (as it is still unstable and for testing purposes only).

Oh, it's 1.1? I thought it was going to be 2. Well, version numbers rarely mean anything.

Lagiv
July 9th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Oh, it's 1.1? I thought it was going to be 2. Well, version numbers rarely mean anything.
Yeah, it's going to be 1.1. Here is the official roadmap:
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/roadmap.html

One of the great features in Deer Park is native SVG support. Here are some samples to play with:
http://www.croczilla.com/svg/samples/
http://www.treebuilder.de/default.asp?file=mozilla.xml

TravisNewman
July 9th, 2005, 05:26 PM
*LOL*
1.5 is going to be called "The Ocho"
People who have seen Dodgeball will find this funny ;)

"Welcome back to the dodgeball championships on ESPN 8-- "The OCHO"

DJ_Max
July 9th, 2005, 05:28 PM
*LOL*
1.5 is going to be called "The Ocho"
People who have seen Dodgeball will find this funny ;)

"Welcome back to the dodgeball championships on ESPN 8-- "The OCHO"
LOL, now is that ironic or what?

TravisNewman
July 9th, 2005, 05:31 PM
LOL, now is that ironic or what?
I'd like to think it isn't ironic, and that it was intentional ;)

BWF89
July 9th, 2005, 06:49 PM
I think I'll wait for the official release.

A couple months ago I tried to download the beta version of the GIMP and it screwed up my computer and it took me like 2 months to get GIMP uninstalled so I could reinstall the stable version.