PDA

View Full Version : I don't get anime/manga

blah blah blah
June 15th, 2007, 11:17 PM
I'm really not trying to dis anime/manga but I when I see a lot of "I love anime" stuff, Naruto shirts, or manga I start to wonder what's the big deal? I haven't read or seen any anime/manga that was interesting or even that well drawn (some I find painfully stupid like Naruto). I probably haven't read nearly as much as the average anime/manga fan but I've read some so I'm not saying this because I hate people who like this stuff.

DR_K13
June 15th, 2007, 11:19 PM
2 Words -

tentacle sex

ticopelp
June 15th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Okay.

blah blah blah
June 15th, 2007, 11:20 PM
2 Words -

tentacle sex

you might have something there.

blah blah blah
June 15th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Okay.

That doesn't doesn't answer my question.

Bachstelze
June 15th, 2007, 11:23 PM
You don't like anime, so what ? Some people like it and watch it, that's all there is about it :)

(But though I'm also an anime fan, I have to agree that Naruto is pretty dumb indeed :p)

arsenic23
June 15th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Like most things in the pipe of popular media, most anime/manga that is marketed is of varying (read: craptastic) quality. But there is some good stuff out there if you don't dislike comics/cartoons in general. Name some fiction you do like and maybe some one can sugest something from Japan that you will like.

vambo
June 15th, 2007, 11:29 PM
アニメは 素晴らしい ですよ。;)

blah blah blah
June 15th, 2007, 11:36 PM
You don't like anime, so what ? Some people like it and watch it, that's all there is about it :)

(But though I'm also an anime fan, I have to agree that Naruto is pretty dumb indeed :p)

What kind of stuff do you like?

blah blah blah
June 16th, 2007, 12:10 AM
bump

Golyadkin
June 16th, 2007, 12:13 AM
アニメは 素晴らしい ですよ。;)

Did you spill coffee on your keyboard? ;)

Bachstelze
June 16th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Romance and comedy are my two main types of things. If I had to recommend only one piece of anime, it would be that one :

http://www.amazon.com/Voices-Distant-Star-Donna-Burke/dp/B00008G8QC/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-2383022-8231029?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1181949195&sr=8-1

Hoshi no Koe, a true masterpiece in only 20 minutes of anime.

blah blah blah
June 16th, 2007, 12:18 AM
Romance and comedy are my two main types of things. If I had to recommend only one piece of anime, it would be that one :

http://www.amazon.com/Voices-Distant-Star-Donna-Burke/dp/B00008G8QC/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-2383022-8231029?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1181949195&sr=8-1

I'll look in to it sometime.

ticopelp
June 16th, 2007, 12:26 AM
That doesn't doesn't answer my question.

Are you asking a question that deserves an answer?

If you're not interested, you're not interested. If you're asking why other people are interested, I imagine because, well, it's because that's the sort of thing they find interesting.

I had a year-long fling with anime; it's an interesting medium, with lots of quality and crap, like anything else. Stylistically, I think it can be very interesting, although the really interesting stuff is not being done in the mainstream material (Naruto, etc.)

When I was into anime, I really liked Cowboy Bebop, Gasaraki, the various movies of Miyazaki, Patlabor, etc. But too many crappy series and half-baked endings (Evangelion, etc.) drove me away from the medium, and I started seeking my entertainment elsewhere.

As far as what drives people to all-consuming obsessions with anime, I really don't know myself. I imagine the heavily emotional adolescent themes appeal to some. For others, it's probably the girls in the schoolgirl outfits. :popcorn:

PartisanEntity
June 16th, 2007, 12:27 AM
I used to be a manga fan, I still do enjoy the occasional manga, my all time favourites will remain Ghost in the Shell and Akira.

arsenic23
June 16th, 2007, 12:29 AM
I'm not a huge 'anime' fan, but I'm a big fan of comics in general. (You know they always say the book is better then the movie ;) Here's some manga I read, though your tastes more then likely don't synch up with mine, in no particular order:

GTO - Comedy - amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Gto-1-Tohru-Fujisawa/dp/1931514933/ref=pd_bbs_2/104-5362800-5346311?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1181949657&sr=1-2)
Planetes - Sci-fi - amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Planetes-Book-1-MAKOTO-YUKIMURA/dp/1591822629/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/104-5362800-5346311?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1181949415&sr=8-2)
Parasyte - Horror/Comedy - amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Parasyte-1-Hitoshi-Iwaaki/dp/0345496248/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-5362800-5346311?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1181949501&sr=1-1)
Claymore - Horror/Fantasy/Youth - amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Claymore-1-Norihiro-Yagi/dp/1421506181/ref=pd_bbs_2/104-5362800-5346311?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1181949817&sr=1-2)
Eatman - Sci-fi/Fantasy - out-of-print@mangaupdates (http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=1713)

*Your milage may vary.

Polygon
June 16th, 2007, 12:33 AM
I dont really care what kind of "style" its in, as long as the story is interesting ill watch it.

click4851
June 16th, 2007, 12:36 AM
stay away from the serials....rent "Akira"

enopepsoo
June 16th, 2007, 12:42 AM
Okay! I did not get the part in Akira when they were driving around on motorcycles. Surely in the future no one will drive motorcycles. People will be too concerned about green house gas emissions.

ticopelp
June 16th, 2007, 12:44 AM

Heh. I'd give the opposite advice... find the good serials and stay away from Akira. :)

I'm in the minority of anime fans who thinks Akira is technically impressive, overloud trash.

arsenic23
June 16th, 2007, 12:47 AM
Heh. I'd give the opposite advice... find the good serials and stay away from Akira. :)

I'm in the minority of anime fans who thinks Akira is technically impressive, overloud trash.

Aw, Akira isn't horrible. But I will agrea that it's horribly overated.
I remember when the first english dub of Akira came out. I watched it with my father who enjoyed it untill the focus shifted from motorcycle gangs to mental powers, it was at that point that he went to get a snack and never returned.

ticopelp
June 16th, 2007, 12:51 AM
Aw, Akira isn't horrible. But I will agrea that it's horribly overated.
I remember when the first english dub of Akira came out. I watched it with my father who enjoyed it untill the focus shifted from motorcycle gangs to mental powers, it was at that point that he went to get a snack and never returned.

No, it's not awful. It has some moments that are really impressive visually. But the story is kind of half-baked, and the last half hour is just a lot of screaming and grunting. Everyone says "read the manga," but I think a movie should stand on its own.

arsenic23
June 16th, 2007, 12:59 AM
No, it's not awful. It has some moments that are really impressive visually. But the story is kind of half-baked, and the last half hour is just a lot of screaming and grunting. Everyone says "read the manga," but I think a movie should stand on its own.

I think you've pretty much stumbled onto the problem with a lot of anime. It seems to me that a sizable chunk of animated movies/shows from Japan that are based off of comics are mostly geared toward letting fans of the comic see their favorite scenes animated, with no thought of pacing or value as an independant peice of media.

vambo
June 16th, 2007, 01:03 AM
Did you spill coffee on your keyboard? ;)

はい、ラバーちゃ でした。:---)

starcraft.man
June 16th, 2007, 01:18 AM
I think you've pretty much stumbled onto the problem with a lot of anime. It seems to me that a sizable chunk of animated movies/shows from Japan that are based off of comics are mostly geared toward letting fans of the comic see their favourite scenes animated, with no thought of pacing or value as an independent piece of media.

LOL! Yes this is true. If you've ever seen DBZ you know that the first 5 minutes of the show are a recap of last episode, then 10 minutes of new stuff then the last 5 minutes kinda starts tailing off and leaves you at some random point usually. I really liked that series but often it was like "damn they waste so much time, more action, more plot, less grunting, less wasting air time."

I've watched plenty of anime (Naruto may just be the one I hated the most, very annoying show with almost brain dead characters sometimes) and I think overall they have their positives and great ones. There are a lot overrated and otherwise poor quality shows though.

In the past few years though, I dunno... I've found a lot of the anime to have become a bit bland and uninteresting. The spark that once used to drive shows like Cowboy Bebop and Ghost just doesn't seem to be there, thus I haven't been watching them.

There was one show that IMO epitomized style and story and it was a regular cartoon (non-anime I mean) that I remember very well. The original Batman Animated (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman:_The_Animated_Series), Bruce Timm has a gift and the noire style with the good voice work and great sound made it a tremendous show back in the early 90's (92-95 was original run, before anime was maintstream, it was just trickling in I think). You should all go back and see it, its amazing how well it stacks up today, especially with well some of the rather tedious and uninspired shows on the air.

Oh and I'm not even that big a comic book fan, it was just a great show.

As for OP, I agree... some of the shows on the air (like Naruto) completely boggle me as to how they attract millions of cult like fans, I guess they have low standards.

Bachstelze
June 16th, 2007, 01:27 AM
Since there seems to be a lot of anime fans here, anyone knows about Ichigo Mashimaro ? It's my favourite recent anime, really made me laugh and also helped me a lot when I was down :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ichigo_Mashimaro

The plot is really simple, it's about four elementary schoolgirls and their daily lives but it's really well done, and the result is a very catchy story.

loell
June 16th, 2007, 01:31 AM
i'm not that much of a fan of naruto, though i'm planning to name a gpl project as either

akatsuki or orichimaru :lolflag:

arsenic23
June 16th, 2007, 01:32 AM
Bruce Tim
Yeah, I'm 100% with you there, that stuff is/was 100% awsome. Shame WarnerBros shut down the animation studio that made it.

Even though I read a good bit of Manga, I think I could count the anime series/movies I really like on one hand. Lemme try:

Irresponsible Captain Tylor
I think everyone likes Cowboy Bebop.
Wolf's Rain
FLCL
and now Gurren Lagann *( currantly airing in Japan, Saturday mornings )

Ok, one hand for series, one for movies, but all the movies are directed by Hayao Miyazaki.

Bachstelze
June 16th, 2007, 01:35 AM
Ok, one hand for series, one for movies, but all the movies are directed by Hayao Miyazaki.

No Grave of the Fireflies ? Also, just wait 'till you see some stuff by Makoto Shinkai :p

arsenic23
June 16th, 2007, 01:42 AM
No Grave of the Fireflies ? Also, just wait 'till you see some stuff by Makoto Shinkai :p

No Grave of Fireflies - I watched that movie once, enjoyed it, and have no desire to see it again.

Also upon looking up Makoto Shinkai: I have seen Voices of a Distant Star but would never have remembered it if I hadn't seen it on the wikipedia page.

CarpKing
June 16th, 2007, 01:52 AM
The key is to be picky about what you watch. There are hundreds of series, and just like American TV, only a few are actually worth watching. Since most of them are of a set length, you can't use how long a show was on as a gauge of popularity or quality, and American stations that play it tend to favor series that last longer than 26 episodes (I've never seen one that I liked that was continuous). Also, anime targets a wide variety of audiences, so it may take some looking to find something with a premise you think you'll enjoy.

blah blah blah
June 16th, 2007, 01:56 AM
I'll rephrase the question. Some people pay money and time for books and videos because other people suggest it. Other do because they get to see or hear some thing that they want to. What is it that makes people spend so much money on manga and anime and none on similarly intelligent books.

Tundro Walker
June 16th, 2007, 01:57 AM
I would classify Naruto in with the DragonBallZ style of anime. IE: long, drawn out fights that include lame babbling between combatants for 5 minutes, then 2 seconds of action, then 5 minutes of each character talking to themselves about what they're going to do next. If you're younger, you may like the action, since it'll be new to you. But if you're older and have seen that kind of stuff before, it'll bore you quickly as there's little to no plot development (or plot in some cases).

There are some good animes that make you think, though. Try Ghost in the Shell. Again, there are moments where folks are standing around blabbing for 5 minutes, but much like a good drama, the way you think the plot will turn out is usually only scratching the surface of where it's going. In other words, if you're half-way into it and think the plot is "predictable", you'll probably be pleasantly suprised during the second half. It includes lots of future-prophesizing, philisophical reflection, ethical analysis of
technology merging with humanity, etc. There were 2 movies, and a TV series ("Stand-Alone Complex") that had 2 seasons.

Highly recommended.

blah blah blah
June 16th, 2007, 02:08 AM
I would classify Naruto in with the DragonBallZ style of anime. IE: long, drawn out fights that include lame babbling between combatants for 5 minutes, then 2 seconds of action, then 5 minutes of each character talking to themselves about what they're going to do next. If you're younger, you may like the action, since it'll be new to you. But if you're older and have seen that kind of stuff before, it'll bore you quickly as there's little to no plot development (or plot in some cases).

There are some good animes that make you think, though. Try Ghost in the Shell. Again, there are moments where folks are standing around blabbing for 5 minutes, but much like a good drama, the way you think the plot will turn out is usually only scratching the surface of where it's going. In other words, if you're half-way into it and think the plot is "predictable", you'll probably be pleasantly suprised during the second half. It includes lots of future-prophesizing, philisophical reflection, ethical analysis of
technology merging with humanity, etc. There were 2 movies, and a TV series ("Stand-Alone Complex") that had 2 seasons.

Highly recommended.

I thought Ghost in the Shell was pretty boring. All it was about was a bunch of people being scared of technology because it's odd to them.

arsenic23
June 16th, 2007, 02:10 AM
I'll rephrase the question. Some people pay money and time for books and videos because other people suggest it. Other do because they get to see or hear some thing that they want to. What is it that makes people spend so much money on manga and anime and none on similarly intelligent books.

I dunno, I'm not one of those people. Example:
http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/1438/250pxboneonevoledls8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Also, I think you may be generalizing just a little too hard here. Alot of the people who focus entirely on Japanese culture(anime/manga) are just young kids looking for a means of differentiating themselves from their peers while still having a definable social clicke. They'll grow out of it. Others have just never learned to find things outside of popular culture, to them anime/manga is a breaze of fresh air compared to the other tripe they've been force fed all their lives. They don't realized that what they're obsessing over now is only different stylistically then whatever they were obsessing over before. And many other situations.

blah blah blah
June 16th, 2007, 02:19 AM
I dunno, I'm not one of those people. Also, I think you may be generalizing just a little too hard here. Alot of the people who focus entirely on Japanese culture(anime/manga) are just young kids looking for a means of differentiating themselves from their peers while still having a definable social clicke.
maybe

I dunno, I'm not one of those people. Example:
http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/1438/250pxboneonevoledls8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Also, I think you may be generalizing just a little too hard here. Alot of the people who focus entirely on Japanese culture(anime/manga) are just young kids looking for a means of differentiating themselves from their peers while still having a definable social clicke. They'll grow out of it. Others have just never learned to find things outside of popular culture, to them anime/manga is a breaze of fresh air compared to the other tripe they've been force fed all their lives. They don't realized that what they're obsessing over now is only different stylistically then whatever they were obsessing over before. And many other situations.
Huh? People read silly books and watch silly shows and videos to make friends and look good? How does that work?

loell
June 16th, 2007, 03:10 AM
maybe

Huh? People read silly books and watch silly shows and videos to make friends and look good? How does that work?

that's just the first phase, the second phase is to engage in a conversation with these materials as topics :p

prizrak
June 16th, 2007, 03:17 AM
I'm really not trying to dis anime/manga but I when I see a lot of "I love anime" stuff, Naruto shirts, or manga I start to wonder what's the big deal? I haven't read or seen any anime/manga that was interesting or even that well drawn (some I find painfully stupid like Naruto). I probably haven't read nearly as much as the average anime/manga fan but I've read some so I'm not saying this because I hate people who like this stuff.

I don't like talk movies ;) Though I must say you probably do like anime but don't really know it. Transformers for instance is an anime, some of the Batman cartoon series are as well. Teen Titans seems pretty popular and that's also anime.

I'm not a huge anime fan but I do watch certain kinds. In case you would like to give it a go I suggest Cowboy Bebop (arguably best anime ever made) it's more like something you might be used to with Transformers and such. If you are into cars Initial D is one most motorheads (even those who don't like anime) enjoy. First, Second and Third stage aren't that great animation wise mostly due to their age, Fourth stage has very good animation as it is very recent but I would suggest watching all of them for the story line.

Just figured I'd give you a few suggestions in case you'd like to take the plunge again :)

arsenic23
June 16th, 2007, 03:17 AM

I have no idea. My sister does it though, I'm nearly certain. I think it's something like:

A: "Oh hey you like the exact same things as me, that makes you cool."
B: "Yeah but it's important that we like different stuff then those other guys."
A: "Most deffinately, I hate everything they like, those people suck."
B: "That right because they arn't part of our awsome group of elite people who all like `X` and hate whatever it is they like.
C: "What is it that's cool again?"
B: "The stuff that me and this guy like, let me tell you so you don't make the mistake of liking the stuff that those other guys do. Then you'd suck like them."
A: "Yeah, most everything from Japan is awsome. They have so much culture that we don't. And we're cool because we realize this and it makes us better then everyone else."

At least this is what I've gotten from watching kids interact whenever I visit my folks. Really being more then a decade apart from my sister in age makes it very hard to relate to her.

raul_
June 16th, 2007, 03:23 AM
I actually grew up watching Dragonball, I'm 20 now, and I still like to watch it :) now I can see that some things are pretty dumb, but it brings back many memories and I just grew up loving the characters.

That being said, I don't get crappy music, but MTV's playing it all the time so I guess it's all about taste ;)

blah blah blah
June 16th, 2007, 03:28 AM
that's just the first phase, the second phase is to engage in a conversation with these materials as topics :p

But how can you? It's so...boring.

blah blah blah
June 16th, 2007, 04:26 AM
Also how come anime usually has mostly white people. That's also something that always confused me. I mean wouldn't you think that they would draw Japanese people?

raul_
June 16th, 2007, 04:31 AM
Also how come anime usually has mostly white people. That's also something that always confused me. I mean wouldn't you think that they would draw Japanese people?

I think anime characters are pretty asian =\

blah blah blah
June 16th, 2007, 04:36 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Naruto01.jpg

starcraft.man
June 16th, 2007, 04:36 AM

AFRO SAMURAI! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afro_Samurai)

I don't know if its any good, never watched an episode. It's certainly not white though :p

Oh and samuel is awesome, Pulp Fiction FTW!

Spike-X
June 16th, 2007, 04:41 AM
Stay away from the movie and read the manga instead!

Kingsley
June 16th, 2007, 04:43 AM
I wouldn't consider myself otaku. A few animes appeal to me because of the good artwork and storyline. It's also cool when I can recognize Japanese words that I've learned only from listening to animations.

blah blah blah
June 16th, 2007, 04:45 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Naruto01.jpg
oh really?

loell
June 16th, 2007, 04:46 AM
But how can you? It's so...boring.

with me personally, I can not.

but, i've witnessed it many times. everybody gets loud and noisy with a smile in their face. like

A. hey have you watched the latest episode the other night
B. no , i missed it
C. yeah, me too

B,C. so what happened!?

A. blah blah blah , etc.

this is also true with non-anime fans.

Henry Rayker
June 16th, 2007, 04:46 AM

I LOVE that one. Also Grave of the Fireflies was really good. My all time favorite is Angel's Egg (more like looking at a really long painting than watching a movie, though...only 5 lines of dialog in the entire thing, but it's BEAUTIFULLY done) Also Jin-Roh was really good. And Princess Mononoke (but I believe that was mentioned)...and Nausicaa

I watch some of the newer things (Bleach, is the only one I'm current on now). Monster was REALLY well done, just a little drawn out.

The thing that draws me to anime is just the nature of it all. I like the types of stories (especially the things Miyazaki does) and the attention to detail. There is just nothing in American shows to compare. The types of television serials here (at least until Lost came around) were 100% inane babble. The movies aren't much better. Anime often have a completely different view on the world and/or living/growing up in it. I am more in line with those thoughts.

However, OP, I am certain that I probably don't understand some of your interests (sports, maybe?). Honestly, what's so fun about watching a bunch of men run around the same old field every week? People have different interests and that is sort of what makes us all unique and interesting.

ynnhoj
June 16th, 2007, 04:54 AM
FLCL
flcl is fantastic!

i really have never been a big anime fan, but some things are pretty neat. as a child, dragonball and dragonball z were pretty cool. gundam wing was another really great series. and if you like funny stuff? look up "golden boy". :)

blah blah blah
June 16th, 2007, 05:12 AM
I LOVE that one. Also Grave of the Fireflies was really good. My all time favorite is Angel's Egg (more like looking at a really long painting than watching a movie, though...only 5 lines of dialog in the entire thing, but it's BEAUTIFULLY done) Also Jin-Roh was really good. And Princess Mononoke (but I believe that was mentioned)...and Nausicaa

I watch some of the newer things (Bleach, is the only one I'm current on now). Monster was REALLY well done, just a little drawn out.
I'll add those to my list.

The thing that draws me to anime is just the nature of it all. I like the types of stories (especially the things Miyazaki does)
Could you explain some more?

There is just nothing in American shows to compare.
The types of television serials here (at least until Lost came around) were 100% inane babble.
They're not that bad. I don't think lost did much better.

Anime often have a completely different view on the world and/or living/growing up in it. I am more in line with those thoughts.
It's not really radical stuff

However, OP, I am certain that I probably don't understand some of your interests (sports, maybe?). Honestly, what's so fun about watching a bunch of men run around the same old field every week? People have different interests and that is sort of what makes us all unique and interesting.
OH< I SEE HOW IT IS JUST CUASE I DON'T LIKE ANIME AND A LOT OF PEOPLE LIKE SPORTS MEANS I LIKE IT: WELL LISTEN HERE YOU>>>>just kidding. My interests are math and science.

Henry Rayker
June 16th, 2007, 05:41 AM
Well, the fact that it isn't live action basically means that they can do a lot more "out there" kind of stuff on a much lower budget. Because the Japanese actually take animation seriously (ie, it's not shoved aside as just "kids stuff") they can have very in depth story or whatever without breaking the bank. The thing that always amazes me about anime is the broad range of topics that are covered (you have the DBZ style anime with just huge ridiculous fights, you have more serious drama, comedy, even westerns, for heaven's sake).

Miyazaki is known as being more "in touch" with nature. Nausicaa and Pricess Mononoke both sort of deal with a push against over-industrialization (but in an allegorical sense, I guess). I really like that aspect of these two films in particular.

Honestly, as far as American television is concerned, until Lost came around, I pretty much couldn't stand it. How shows like Friends can last for so goddamn long, I have no clue. One other thing about American television that I don't really like is that, when one series does really well, a whole lot of "copy-cat" series branch up to try to take in a little bit...the programming gets very narrow-minded that way. However, if you'd like to give me some American series I should be interested in watching, I wouldn't mind giving it a shot. I must add, though, that I really like when the series has a continuing storyline...that sort of draws me in; I don't much like the sitcom style of things.

I will admit, though...just like anything, there is a lot of foolishness in anime. Shows like DBZ and the like, I just can't stand. I feel like they are more directed toward pre-pubescent boys.

I'm not sure how into sci-fi you are, but Serial Experiments: Lain is a good sci-fi strange type anime. I guess I should try to categorize the suggestions I've made:

Voices of a Distant Star: The film is amazing partly because one man did it, essentially on his own. All of the animation, he did on his personal computer. The story is a drama, so if you're not into that, I'd avoid it.

Grave of the Fireflies: This film is very sad. Takes place in WWII Japan.

Angel's Egg: This film is more art than entertainment. Don't expect to be sitting on the edge of your seat. Yoshitaka Amano (of Final Fantasy fame) did the art for the film, so if you like his stuff, you might like the film, if not, avoid at all costs.

Jin-Roh: The movie is just...good. It's kind of gory at points, and very dark. Sort of futuristic police drama, maybe. I don't know. I've never seen anything like it. It's almost like a modern day Grimm's fairy tale.

Princess Mononoke: a very good film for first time anime viewers. This is anime at just about its finest. The artwork is great, the story is very good and it has a good message.

Nausicaa: directed by Miyazaki (who also did Princess Mononoke). It is great. A little earlier, so the art isn't as top-notch as Princess Mononoke, but it is still really well done.

Monster is a very strange series about a doctor who saves a child. The child turns out to be a murderous monster...the ultimate, "no good deed goes unpunished" This series is very long.

Bleach is a fairly good series (I'll be honest...I only watch because I've gotten sucked in. If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't be watching it). It has loads of fight sequences and the like, with lots of crazy power-ups and stuff thrown in for good measure. I wouldn't watch this as your first series; it is very long and currently in progress.

Serial Experiments Lain: a technopop series. It's only 13 episodes long, and very good. The art is silky smooth and the story is a little spooky but very good. A nice sci-fi anime.

If you like mecha (giant robots) you could check out Evangelion (but it is VERY weird)

ticopelp
June 16th, 2007, 06:28 AM

Because if they drew everyone with similar or identical skin tone, hair color, eye color, etc. it would not only be very difficult to tell characters apart, it would also be very dull stylistically. I learned this from reading a book on manga and anime.

A couple of anime movies, most notably Patlabor and I think Jin-Roh, have gone for a more authentic, less colorful feel, but by and large I think it's a very sound decision from an artistic point of view.

Xzallion
June 16th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Anime has many ways it can appeal to people. If your a person willing to watch something that is animated, then it can appeal to you, but if you dismiss anything that is animated as kids shows or just don't like the look of animation then it won't have much appeal.

I watch anime for a few reasons, for one its different. I grew up on late 80's, early 90's cartoons here in North America. I liked cartoons because they were very uplifting and happy and made sense to me when I was a kid. I eventually started drawing, and came to respect even the simplest cartoon due to the amount of sketching and drawing, cell layering etc that had to be done to make it. So I grew up with this American art style in cartoons, and learned to draw like it and eventually started to get bored with it. Then I found anime, which was leaps and bounds better then most cartoons I had watched previously.

Then theres the culture. They cover different things in anime. It usually isn't to drastic, but there are scenes where something odd is happening that make me want to read up on Japanese culture and see what they are referencing.

Some like the music, that can be varied from happy jpop to hip hop, metal, country, and folklore mixed in with the shows. I like the theme songs from cartoons, and have a habit of memorizing them.

I haven't seen a lot of anime, but I have seen good and bad anime. Some anime I have watched, the catagory they fall into, and what I thought of them:

DragonBall Z: Its about fighting. It is aimed at the middle school/early teen audience and is all action and almost no plot. I enjoyed it for about a year and a half, and grew out of it.

Vampire Hunter D: A vampire story. It was the second anime I ever saw, and I remembering wondering when they allowed so much blood into a cartoon. The visuals aren't very impressive but the story is fun. A half vampire hunting down other vampires.

Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust: Another Vampire story, this one had some amazing artwork. There wasn't much plot or context, it was aimed to be pretty and be interesting to watch once.

My Neighbor Totoro: A Mihazaki film, the first anime I ever watched. It is odd, but entertained me really well back when I was eight. Most Mihazaki films are very family friendly, but this one was aimed more towards children.

Howls Moving Castle: A steampunk love story. If you like family films, I suggest you give this one a watch. Its my favorite anime thus far, its by Mihazaki, and has some beautiful art. Also its only a single movie so it doesn't demand much of your time.

Ghost in the Shell/ Ghost in the Shell stand alone complex: a cyberpunk setting, this one isn't about people afraid of technology, but afraid of the loss of their humanity. Its really only interesting to computer/tech people that are really into technology. I really enjoy it, but its a love it or hate it kind of show.

Cowboy Bebop: space bounty hunters. It just follows the main characters as they develop and catch their bounties. Its a really fun series, and has amazing music and art also.

Witch Hunter Robin: Its about modern witch hunters. Its an interesting series, but you have to have a slight interest in the occult to really care for it.

FLCL: I really don't know what to call this anime, but its odd. I love it, but you most likely will love it or hate it. Its got off the wall humor, and is very random.

Evangelion: an apocalypse series. Things are trying to destroy the world, and the organization NERV is trying to stop these things with EVA's. It starts out okay, and gets very messed up at the end. I wouldn't recommend this series, I watched all of it, and both movies, and hated it.

Samurai Champloo: Wandering Samurai, its a series about a journey. It is made by the same people that made cowboy bebop, and has wonderful animation, music, and an interesting and easy going storyline, with lots of action. I highly recommend this series because it hits a broad audience.

Excel Saga: A random anime. Every episode they try something different. A love story, a war story, an alien invasion story... It is weird. If you enjoy crazy humor and wacky hijinks this will be a good one to watch. I really enjoyed it but it is so random that you most likely won't be able to sit through more then three episodes at a time.

Princess Mononoke: A story about the destruction of land. This one is another Miyazaki film that is interesting, but less family friendly then the rest.

Spirited Away: A story about a young girl trapped in a witch's world. This one is fun to watch, but is a little hard to follow at times. Another Miyazaki film.

Akira: A story about genetic engineering that goes wrong. Its interesting, but nothing to special.

If any of those sound interesting you should check them out, and see if you like it or not. It's hard to judge any medium on just a few things, so just kinda look around. Or not, its up to you.

B0rsuk
June 16th, 2007, 07:04 AM
I don't get manga/anime either. Looks unpleasant to me, usually has bad or no shadows etc. It's full of cliches, and all characters look as if they were automatically generated using some kind of script (meaning they all follow the same template as far as style is concerned).

As for claims that manga/anime presents deep, moving story blah blah - in some cases, it does, but this is true for any kind of comic, and any kind of style. You don't need ridiculous looking charcters for that. You don't need story cliches either.

This link is mostly about games, but a lot of it also applies to cartoons.
http://project-apollo.net/text/rpg.html

This list is funny, because it exposes how shallow the story/style is (at least in many cases). It's almost brutal.

Xzallion
June 16th, 2007, 07:09 AM
I don't get manga/anime either. Looks unpleasant to me, usually has bad or no shadows etc. It's full of cliches, and all characters look as if they were automatically generated using some kind of script (meaning they all follow the same template as far as style is concerned).

This list is funny, because it exposes how shallow the story/style is (at least in most cases).

Everything in the media is shallow, or has shallow parts. Best selling authors use recurring cliche's/themes etc. Movies do the same thing, as do comic books, animation, and music.

As for saying all the characters have the same style, in some anime they do, in others they are radically different. Dragon ball Z vs Samurai Champloo would show a very big difference in character style.

Spike-X
June 16th, 2007, 07:37 AM
The style most commonly associated with anime today came about from Japanese cartoonists emulating the style of American comicbooks, specifically the Archie comics drawn by Dan DeCarlo.

I think.

muguwmp67
June 16th, 2007, 09:55 AM
I'm not a huge anime fan. There's a lot of anime that I just don't get. However, I have seen some and the best so far has been:
- Cowboy Bebop
- Trigun
- FLCL.

The common thread among these is they all have a great soundtrack. I'd recommend them as a short intro to anime, and I'd probably save FLCL for last as I think it needs the context.

LightB
June 16th, 2007, 10:41 AM
I used to be big on anime when I was younger. The classics I saw then I still remember well. Now not so much but I'll still catch some of the sci fi stuff, not the trendy stuff that is geared more for teens - this is the majority of anime it seems and what gives it a bad rap to those unfamiliar. The recent Ghost In The Shell feature length movies were great.

Not that I'm against kids shows either. There are some great kids anime movies, for example Howl's Moving Castle, at least as good as anything Disney can come up with though I'd say better. And by that I mean the actual subject matter.

Spr0k3t
June 16th, 2007, 11:07 AM
I'm kind of surprised no one has mentioned 3x3 eyes. That one is in my top favorites. I personally can't stand the series shows as they lead to many dead-ends or don't have the context I like to find in the traditional feature anime. I like anime for wonderfully rendered scenes (Miyazaki for example) and the meticulous corsing plots that drive to an end. I hate to be left dangling. Ghost in the Shell is another favorite of mine... sort of a Matrix before the matrix.

Just make sure you watch any anime with sub titles as there are emotions spoken in the original recorded language you don't hear with the dub-ins.

raul_
June 16th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Just make sure you watch any anime with sub titles as there are emotions spoken in the original recorded language you don't hear with the dub-ins.

True.

EdThaSlayer
June 16th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Anime has deep rich storylines. Also, many animes have fantasy included in it and these all powerful evil guys who can kill anyone without even blinking. I like the way they are drawn, not too simple not too complex. Yeah, I'm a anime watcher and manga reader, I just can't get enough of both. Naruto is pretty stupid though, I agree(the character not the anime).

blah blah blah
June 16th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Because if they drew everyone with similar or identical skin tone, hair color, eye color, etc. it would not only be very difficult to tell characters apart, it would also be very dull stylistically. I learned this from reading a book on manga and anime.

A couple of anime movies, most notably Patlabor and I think Jin-Roh, have gone for a more authentic, less colorful feel, but by and large I think it's a very sound decision from an artistic point of view.

That didn't answer my question...

Rhapsody
June 16th, 2007, 06:49 PM
I tend to wander in and out of love with anime and manga. My current love is Rozen Maiden (I know, I know) and I'm looking at Elfen Lied once I'm done with that. I'm a weird person.

blah blah blah
June 16th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Also, I disagree about anime being superior to the "American style" (or what ever). As some people seem to be hinting at, "American style" is a very broad term. I think a lot of American cartoons are better drawn then anime, like Tarzan.

ticopelp
June 16th, 2007, 08:17 PM
That didn't answer my question...

Yes it did.

blah blah blah
June 16th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Yes it did.

No, if that was there reason then that couldn't be their result.

EdThaSlayer
June 16th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Also, I disagree about anime being superior to the "American style" (or what ever). As some people seem to be hinting at, "American style" is a very broad term. I think a lot of American cartoons are better drawn then anime like Tarzan.

I never knew that Tarzan was classified as anime. Well, anime is kind of based on Disney cartoons but thats it(big eyes and such).

blah blah blah
June 16th, 2007, 08:23 PM
I never knew that Tarzan was classified as anime. Well, anime is kind of based on Disney cartoons but thats it(big eyes and such).

read it again (I forgot a comma)

pmj
June 16th, 2007, 08:39 PM

It might have been said before (damn you people spam), but if so I'll say it again: the most popular animes in the west, the ones I guess you get on TV, are mostly shounen garbage. They're made for young boys (the genre, shounen, even means boy), and it shows. I don't get why they're so popular either, but there is better stuff out there.

There is a lot of anime and, just like with everything else, 99% of it is crap. But there's bound to be something you like. I'm not going to give you any suggestions, and I hope you don't listen to anyone else's, because when it comes to anime (much more so than with movies) it's very individual what we like and dislike. If you're going to try something new, do go for movies. That way if you don't like it, at least you won't waste more than an hour and a half. You could also try to find something that doesn't contain any themes you've seen before and dislike.

Actually, I changed my mind. Try the manga Yotsuba&!. If you don't like it, you don't have a heart. You don't want to be heartless, do you?

Bachstelze
June 16th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Actually, I changed my mind. Try the manga Yotsuba&!. If you don't like it, you don't have a heart. You don't want to be heartless, do you?

Amen to that !

blah blah blah
June 16th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Amen to that !

I guess that will be the next thing I try.

Earthwormzim
June 16th, 2007, 10:48 PM
I'd have to say that the best anime, ever, is Hikaru No Go. Heh...I'd even go as far as to say that it is the single best on-screen production ever created...better than any American movie, show, or what-have-you. Just fantastic.

Earthwormzim
June 16th, 2007, 10:50 PM
"My time is yet to come, so I'll be forever yours..."

Nightwish fan?

EdThaSlayer
June 16th, 2007, 10:57 PM
read it again (I forgot a comma)
I wonder, is this thread a plot to see how many anime+manga lovers are on this site?

blah blah blah
June 16th, 2007, 11:02 PM
I wonder, is this thread a plot to see how many anime+manga lovers are on this site?

no

Hellcom
June 16th, 2007, 11:05 PM
I haven't waded though all of this thread, but I would like to make a comment to those who may feel repulsed by the fantasy or DBZ-esque manga/anime. Its not all like that, I can assure you! For example, I would recommend the manga/anime "Monster":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_(manga) (Don't read all of it, only the introduction! Full of spoilers!)

Its a drama and psychological thriller set in post cold war Germany and Czech Republic that I cannot see anyone failing to love. Its not an endless serial like DBZ or the recent naruto, but has a complex, structured narrative, fantastic characterisation, and mature and interesting themes.

Earthwormzim
June 16th, 2007, 11:11 PM
I haven't waded though all of this thread, but I would like to make a comment to those who may feel repulsed by the fantasy or DBZ-esque manga/anime. Its not all like that, I can assure you! For example, I would recommend the manga/anime "Monster":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_(manga) (Don't read all of it, only the introduction! Full of spoilers!)

Its a drama and psychological thriller set in post cold war Germany and Czech Republic that I cannot see anyone failing to love. Its not an endless serial like DBZ or the recent naruto, but has a complex, structured narrative, fantastic characterisation, and mature and interesting themes.

Monster kicked serious ***! From what I hear, some American movie director is going to make a live-action movie based upon it.

Hellcom
June 17th, 2007, 12:13 AM
Monster kicked serious ***! From what I hear, some American movie director is going to make a live-action movie based upon it.

Yep, New Line Cinema bought the rights to it according to the wiki article.

Engnome
June 17th, 2007, 02:16 AM

Well hopefully he can compress the story a little then :) I read the several volumes of the manga and it was soo slooow, gave up disappointed. But with every one recommending the anime maybe I should give it a chance in a year or two when I've gone through my long list of anime to watch. :popcorn:

blackspyder
June 17th, 2007, 04:00 AM
I like some anime. Hellsing and Ghost In the Shell: Stand Alone Complex were pretty cool . However most of what comes on cable networks is crap (Naruto, DBZ, Full Metal Alchemist)

Other ones I found interesting were Trigun, Lupin the Third (kinda like old American cartoons), and Madlax

But I cant stand Magna. Something about read the book backwards just throws me for a loop.

Henry Rayker
June 17th, 2007, 05:09 AM
blah blah blah, sure, Tarzan may be better drawn than most of the anime you've seen, but what sort of a level is the plot written at? 3rd grade? The reason anime is superior is the fact that there are different subgroups to appeal to different age groups. I honestly doubt something like Monster or Jin-Roh should be shown to a 3rd grader...

Honestly, I'm a little worried you might be more interested in eye candy than actual substance (a pretty significant problem I've noticed in the forums lately..)

slimdog360
June 17th, 2007, 06:34 AM
Im downloading 'spirited away' right now, I hear its good.

blah blah blah
June 17th, 2007, 07:01 AM
blah blah blah, sure, Tarzan may be better drawn than most of the anime you've seen, but what sort of a level is the plot written at? 3rd grade? The reason anime is superior is the fact that there are different subgroups to appeal to different age groups. I honestly doubt something like Monster or Jin-Roh should be shown to a 3rd grader...

Honestly, I'm a little worried you might be more interested in eye candy than actual substance (a pretty significant problem I've noticed in the forums lately..)

The anime I've seen isn't exactly what I would call intelligent. I really don't see how anime is any more various or intelligent.

pmj
June 17th, 2007, 07:18 AM
The anime I've seen isn't exactly what I would call intelligent. I really don't see how anime is any more various or intelligent.

Than Disney? Anything is more intelligent than modern Disney. I think Disney, on purpose, is trying to make the dumbest, most unwatchable movies they can.

But I agree that anime in general can't be said to be very intelligent. Japanese culture is different from western culture, though, which is reflected in anime, and I think many people confuse different with intelligent. I think that's a big part of what keeps people interested, at least in the beginning.

Im downloading 'spirited away' right now, I hear its good.
It is. And if you like it, and I don't see why you wouldn't, theres a whole bunch of similar movies from Ghibli for you to watch next.

blah blah blah
June 17th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Than Disney? Anything is more intelligent than modern Disney. I think Disney, on purpose, is trying to make the dumbest, most unwatchable movies they can.
They're not that bad.

But I agree that anime in general can't be said to be very intelligent. Japanese culture is different from western culture, though, which is reflected in anime, and I think many people confuse different with intelligent. I think that's a big part of what keeps people interested, at least in the beginning.
That's what others seem to be getting at. People see a sophistication to it but that just doesn't make sense to me. Why would the person think (consciously or not) "I can't get in those groups so I'll join the anime/manga group (which is better then the other ones I can get into). There has to be something more to it.

Iarwain ben-adar
June 17th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Surprised no-one mentioned Berserk.

The anime is violent, but it has a good story i think. You see the friendship and betrayel.

The manga is ... even more violent, it's all about hacking and slashing your way towards yer goal,
but it grips me. It IS more for grown-ups (non-appropriate scenes), so be warned.

Just my 2 cents :D

Iarwain

arsenic23
June 17th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Berserk
The reason no one mentioned Berserk is because we were all looking to list things that might be globaly appealing. While I like Berserk just fine myself, there are two things that keep me from sugesting it to other people:
1. Not everyone can stomach the sex/ultraviolence. In fact it can be a real turn-off for alot of people.
2. Berserk is HUGE! The fellow has been writing this since sometime in the 80's and from what I understand he feels he's just warming up.

However most of what comes on cable networks is crap (Naruto, DBZ, Full Metal Alchemist)
Come now, Full Metal Alchemist isn't horrible. I wouldn't say it's globaly appealing, but my mother loves it.

They're not that bad.
Do you really think so? I haven't had any faith in Disney since The Little Mermaid / Aladin. In fact I was under the impression that they were considering shuting down their traditional animation studios because of the success of 3d/computer animation.
Though I guess I am baised, I just hate musicals. I have no idea why they think you can't make a good animated family film that isn't a musical.

Henry Rayker
June 17th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Disney is incredibly bad. What anime HAVE you watched, so I actually know where you're coming from. The issue with Disney is that it is aimed at a very young demographic; if the anime you've watched is also aimed at the same demographic, then obviously you will prefer the more eye-candy style.

A huge issue with Disney cartoons is that one episode bears absolutely no consequence on any of the others. This makes the show just feel pointless (at least to me). In anime, there is typically an end (oftentimes in 26 or 52 episodes...although MUCH longer is becoming more popular). American cartoons go on forever, until viewership dies out and they just get canceled. The mere fact that there is a continuous story, in my mind, gives anime much more substance.

DM was on fire!
June 17th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Two words:
AZUMANGA DAIOH

I don't care if you like anime or not. Everyone like Azumanga Daioh.

pmj
June 17th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Two words:
AZUMANGA DAIOH

I don't care if you like anime or not. Everyone like Azumanga Daioh.

It's one of my favorites, but I can see how some wouldn't like it. It starts out pretty slow, has some filler episodes/scenes, and it's plainly obvious that the source material, four panel comic strips, wasn't meant to be made into full anime episodes. It also has the stereotypical "cute little girl" with the requisite annoying voice.

Damn you. Now I have to watch it again, for the fifth or so time. And, like every time before, cry when it ends. :(

You should try Yotsuba&! as well, if you haven't read it already. It's made by Kyohiko Azuma, the same man that made Azumanga, and it's even better. He really knows how to create likable characters. Mm, Fuuka. <3

blah blah blah
June 17th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Disney is incredibly bad.

At least Disney cartoons usually have some meaning and intelligence to them. I could give you a butt load of Disney cartoons that are more intelligent then Princess Mononoke for example.

Henry Rayker
June 17th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Please do. Also, please point out the meaning and intelligence, because, as of yet, all I really see are incredibly lame coming of age stories.

blah blah blah
June 17th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Please do. Also, please point out the meaning and intelligence, because, as of yet, all I really see are incredibly lame coming of age stories.

I geuss I have some movies to watch tonight.

pmj
June 17th, 2007, 09:54 PM
At least Disney cartoons usually have some meaning and intelligence to them. I could give you a butt load of Disney cartoons that are more intelligent then Princess Mononoke for example.

Coming of age was already mentioned, so I'll just add moralizing, politically correct, predictable and sleazy to that list.

Princess Mononoke, like most other Ghibli movies, has a new, fantastic world, a lack of real bad guys (everyone has their own motivations and reasons, and you will get to see and understand their point of view) and they don't bother to in detail explain why everything is as it is and instead lets you discover what you need to know along the way.

You wouldn't think that this would be all that special, but tell me, has Disney ever done something even approaching that?

arsenic23
June 17th, 2007, 10:01 PM

Personally I'd like to see if you can come up with anything released after November 25, 1992. It can be hard for older people who grew up with Disney like us to accept but they are deffinately going downhill when it comes to 2D feature fills at least.
For instance their last 2D feature film was Home on the Range (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_on_the_Range_(film)). Or that's the last one I'm aware of. Their next 2D film is set to be The Princess and the Frog (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Princess_and_the_Frog).

Even though I may not be a fan of their modern work you're not going to see me bashing Disney as a whole. Their influence and effect on the animation industry worldwide is paramount, and of course -- Ducktales.

Also, are you saying the Mononoke was dumb, or that Disney cartoons are overly intellegent?

---------------------------------------------------------------

You wouldn't think that this would be all that special, but tell me, has Disney ever done something even approaching that?

I think your assuming that story without a prime villian is supeior. It's kind of comparing beans to carrots here, you can't really say one is better then the other, it's just different.
Anyway I think this Disney vs. Japan thing is starting to derail the original theme of this thread, unless the original theme was to troll, I'm not 100% on that.

tbroderick
June 17th, 2007, 10:04 PM
You wouldn't think that this would be all that special, but tell me,
has Disney ever done something even approaching that?

Bambi.

frodon
June 17th, 2007, 10:19 PM
At least Disney cartoons usually have some meaning and intelligence to them. I could give you a butt load of Disney cartoons that are more intelligent then Princess Mononoke for example.Maybe because Princess mononoke is full of second degree meaning (more hard to catch ;) )

Seriously this is not true and maybe a bit flamming, princess mononoke contain a deep analysis of our civilisation and discrimination in general and i think that anyone who took the time to watch this anime with care can catch this second degree analysis, maybe you should watch it again with a different view

blah blah blah
June 17th, 2007, 11:54 PM
Also, are you saying the Mononoke was dumb, or that Disney cartoons are overly intelligent?

I'm saying that Princess Mononoke was dumb. I don't mean unintelligent as in dancing bears or a movie about folding paper in half in mean unintelligent as in it poorly conveyed its theme.

I think your assuming that story without a prime villain is supeior.

Sure I do. That usually makes it more realistic and when it's more realistic I get less annoyed which makes it more enjoyable for me (but that's just me).

It's kind of [like] comparing beans to carrots here, you can't really say one is better then the other, it's just different.

sure I can

Anyway I think this Disney vs. Japan thing is starting to derail the original theme of this thread, unless the original theme was to troll, I'm not 100% on that.
Ya, I have to agree. Lets get back to the topic.

blah blah blah
June 18th, 2007, 12:00 AM
Maybe because Princess mononoke is full of second degree meaning (more hard to catch ;) )

Seriously this is not true and maybe a bit flamming, princess mononoke contain a deep analysis of our civilisation and discrimination in general and i think that anyone who took the time to watch this anime with care can catch this second degree analysis, maybe you should watch it again with a different view
I was planing to do that actually.

Xzallion
June 18th, 2007, 01:08 AM
Blah Blah Blah, would you list the anime series/movies that you have seen, and maybe explain specifically why you dislike them? Without the list you just come off as a troll.

blah blah blah
June 18th, 2007, 01:10 AM
Blah Blah Blah, would you list the anime series/movies that you have seen, and maybe explain specifically why you dislike them? Without the list you just come off as a troll.

I'm going to but I want to rewatch some of them first so I can go into more detail.

jusmurph
June 18th, 2007, 03:02 AM
I got into Anime via Ergo Proxy. The art style i liked and the storyline was awesome. Nothing has really come close to that, though i have not watched much else, though i am trying.

Spr0k3t
June 18th, 2007, 03:50 AM

You forgot the </flamebait>

blah blah blah
June 18th, 2007, 04:28 AM
You forgot the </flamebait>

The reason I said that is that I don't think Disney cartoons are that bad. There not amazing but they're not crap.

CarpKing
June 18th, 2007, 05:01 AM
The reason I said that is that I don't think Disney cartoons are that bad. There not amazing but they're not crap.

All of them are aimed at children (though most do a good job of being enjoyable for accompanying adults). Anime is aimed at a variety of ages.

blah blah blah
June 18th, 2007, 05:08 AM
All of them are aimed at children (though most do a good job of being enjoyable for accompanying adults). Anime is aimed at a variety of ages.

This is true.

frodon
June 18th, 2007, 08:51 AM
I got into Anime via Ergo Proxy. The art style i liked and the storyline was awesome. Nothing has really come close to that, though i have not watched much else, though i am trying.Really good start, ergo proxy is indeed an awesome and creative anime, if you like this one i advice you to watch the other anime made by the manglobe studio before ergo proxy :
Samurai Champloo

ZarathustraDK
March 22nd, 2008, 12:12 PM
I love anime, most of all because it's an idealized way of storytelling, cartoons generally are this way. In ordinary movies with live actors the focus is on how well an actor fills in the role of the ideal character who is portrayed in the story. Anime/cartoons on the other hand go the direct way and creates the characters, skipping the human flaw of transcoding the story. To me, live-movies are a lot like a make-shift switchboard where you try and connect the story to the audience by holding two phone-handles against each other, it can be done good yes, but not perfect.

I don't hate Disney, but they cater to kids, and that's an awful shame when the medium is so rich. I mean, they all follow the classic home->out there->home again model, the characters-designs are so stock it hurts, and...argh... IT'S DISNEY! :)

Chipter
March 22nd, 2008, 02:08 PM
I'm not hugely into anime, but there are a few really good ones out there.

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Hellsing
Gantz
Akira

chucky chuckaluck
March 22nd, 2008, 02:33 PM
i've enjoyed cowboy bebop, saumrai champloo (kind of a diet bebop), some of trigun and especially lupin. (do they all count as anime.) i only like neon genesis for its inclusion of what must be every young man's fantasy. the only manga i've read is some of soul eater. i don't get the fascination with stuff like inuyasha, dragonball z and whatever that thing with the cards is (though, the cards are kind of a nice gimmick).

Hells_Dark
March 22nd, 2008, 02:57 PM
Hum..
Maybe because LOT of people love animation..
AND because japaneses don't see animation as a child thing.
(i mean.. for some animes..)

spupy
March 22nd, 2008, 03:00 PM
I like anime because the stories are interesting. There is no way some western guy would make something like Evangelion, not to mention a live series with such a story.

EDIT:
But i stay away from stuff like Naruto. Not that it's bad, but watching 200+ episodes will just ruin my life, haha. I remember when i watched the whole Neon Genesis Evangelion and all episodes of Elfenlied in the course of week and half, i was like a zombie for the next 3 days!

Chame_Wizard
March 22nd, 2008, 04:35 PM
I am currently Watching Bleach and several anime+read the mangas.

Since January(last year), i am busy to learn the Japanese language.:guitar:

and anime/manga is for all people of ages (from 5 year old to 70+ :lolflag:)Tezuka and Hasegawa FTW

IsawSp4rks
March 22nd, 2008, 04:50 PM

Akira does stand on it's own. Ultimately, I see it as a story about dehumanisation and the fight to retain humanity. Each of the children (Akira, Tetsuo et al) have to fight for their identity and eventually their humanity as a result of being born into a class/caste system where they're are the lowest of the low and treated as lab rats (and rats in general - from a societal perspective).

boomtisk
March 22nd, 2008, 04:59 PM
I got into anime in the mid 90s because the drawings were so much better than most American/European cartoons on TV. I also liked the way they handled their storylines which were usually a lot more well-thought out than the cheap Hanna-Barbera or Marvel productions that dominated Saturday morning TV. It took me a while to start downloading fansubs, but thanks to them, I got the opportunity to watch some great shows such as Paranoia Agent and Haibane Renmei. Too bad there isn't anything being fabsubbed right now that I like. So, yeah, I guess most current anime is pretty damn weak, I hate moe and Dragonball Z-esque shows in particular.

Oops, I forgot about Zoku Sanyounara Zetsubou Sensei and Hakaba Kitarou, those are great but don't seem to be getting a lot of attention.

mrgnash
March 22nd, 2008, 05:00 PM
It's all crap.

Chame_Wizard
March 22nd, 2008, 05:04 PM
Like what ?

madjr
March 22nd, 2008, 07:04 PM
Hell lot better than western cartoons.

but some western animations are importing Japanese designers into their staff so i like those.

In some anime they take into detail everything

they make drawn simulations, not just cartoons, pretty amazing.

yes, naruto is for kids so it's... childish.

i like the more mature ones

Chame_Wizard
March 22nd, 2008, 07:07 PM
that's what the USA is making of most ANime

watchin animes( finally via FF):lolflag:

EdThaSlayer
March 22nd, 2008, 09:08 PM
I like reading some manga. At the moment I'm hooked to Fairy Tail. Some anime is a bit lacking though, I have to agree with that point. Others however are very mature and entertaining. It's the story, not the drawings most of the time, that gets you interested mr.Blahblahetc...

Chame_Wizard
March 22nd, 2008, 09:24 PM
Lucky star :)

Spike-X
March 23rd, 2008, 10:24 AM
It's all crap.
Thanks so much for your considered, enlightened contribution.

Kimm
March 23rd, 2008, 01:41 PM
To The OP (or well... anyone else too I guess):

you should have a look at Death Note. Great piece of anime in 37 episodes (was also recorded as two movies with actual actors). Great plot, keeps you on your toes :)

Trail
March 24th, 2008, 08:59 AM
was also recorded as two movies with actual actors

No, it wasn't. Repeat after me. There is no Death Note live action. There is no Death Note live action. There is no Death Note live action. There is no Death Note live action.

(And no Tsukihime anime).

ZarathustraDK
March 24th, 2008, 09:42 AM
*most anxiously awaiting news about live action version of Neon Genesis Evangelion*

JaggedOne
March 24th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Ahh its so good to see someone else who feels the same way as me. Anime and manga always seemed so stupid to me.

Its just not our tastes. Oddly enough some people like that stuff. Different people like different things.

ZarathustraDK
March 24th, 2008, 10:01 AM
I'd like to go against the stream and ask, why don't you like manga/anime? Is there a particular reason, or is it just like 'I don't like cheese for no particular reason'? (both stances valid of course, far be it for me to tell you how to subjectively feel :) )

Ioky
March 26th, 2008, 06:23 AM
well you have to understand many people especially at the Asian when people are grown up with amine, and yes, it is true that sometime people make too big of a deal out of it, but it is just no different than the people who make a big deal of super stars. or even OS. You don't have to love it, but what is the point to hate it?