PDA

View Full Version : Where do you think linux and ubuntu will be 1 year from now?

NoTiG
July 9th, 2005, 12:48 AM
I know in the past alot of speculation has resulted in disappointing realizations to try to keep it modest! whats your opinion?

sapo
July 9th, 2005, 01:00 AM
for sure it will be here.. right in my desktop :roll:

Just kidding hehe

i just hope that 1 one could be enought to ubuntu be as easy as windows is.. and then we can welcome all windows users here in the ubuntu comunity and make them happier :D

KiwiNZ
July 9th, 2005, 01:08 AM
To be honest I couldnt say:neutral:

TravisNewman
July 9th, 2005, 01:15 AM
Well, from what the winsupersite review of the latest longhorn build has revealed... Ubuntu and Linux will be light years ahead of Windows in features ;)

But it's not a competition. I can remember using linux this time last year and having a much harder time of it. I think that the usability and other facets of linux are improving exponentially, and the increase in quality over the next year will be much more than the increase over the last year.

Kvark
July 9th, 2005, 01:19 AM
Overall I think nothing will change, linux will be more popular then now, but not noticeably. But there is some events that can change the situation.

One critical period is when longhorn is finally released. If linux is gaining popularity fast, is talked about a lot, and can match longhorn. Then many might upgrade to linux instead of to longhorn when they are making a switch anyway.

Also some countries will make/are making efforts to use free software. Simply because they don't want to be too dependant on usa.

manicka
July 9th, 2005, 01:21 AM
on my desktop, laptop and anything else I can get my hands on ;)

tristan
July 9th, 2005, 01:27 AM
It's a bit hard to separate predictions from wishlists, but here goes..

1 - In general Linux will have incrementally more desktop share, and will be making more inroads into workplaces. It'll definitely make a more significant showing in India, Africa, Sth America etc

2 - Developers will have stopped adding features to the main desktop environmnents (Gnome, Kde, Xfce) and will have concentrated on improving speed and responsiveness and reducing the resource usage. Then again, this might just be a wishlist item :)

3 - Ubuntu will boot in 1/2 the time with a lovely professional looking graphic boot sequence, into a desktop with a ubuntu themed clearlooks theme with ubuntu icons throughout.

4 - Ubuntu will have a nicer graphical install with even better hardware detection than it does now, and far less post install configuring to get basic serives like dialin and wireless networking up and running.

5 - Ubuntu will be the number one "community linux" with Mandriva, Redhat, Suse slugging it out for the "professional linux" crown!

6 - Ubuntu will still have a great (but even larger) community and still be a huge amount of fun to use and customise!

KiwiNZ
July 9th, 2005, 01:31 AM
Okay I have given it some thought,so here goes...

1.There will be at least one major Distribution disappear.

2. The open source community and the GPL will come under increased legal attack. The GPL will begin a period of substantial change.

3. Software Patents in Europe will slowly appear nation by nation.

4.Linux its self will not have changed much in 12 months, however some real inovation in some Distributions will place them on par or better than Longhorn.

5. Ubuntu will be sold to a major Corporation seeking their own Linux system , an off the wall thought on that , maybe HP or Dell.

6. A Fedora like spin off for Ubuntu will be formed before the sale.

7. The"commercial" model for Linux will start to make some real in roads into the traditional corporate and Government markets.

8. ATI will fail.

So there are some things I though of while doing some chores .

ubuntu_demon
July 9th, 2005, 02:09 AM
For the current breezy goals see : http://udu.wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDownUnder/BreezyGoals

In the release breezy+2 :

-all current low priority goals and deferred goals will be completed including SELinux.

-Beagle/mono/f-spot will be tightly integrated

-ext3 will no longer be the filesystem of choice

-Xorg will feature hardware acceleration (like mac OS X) which will make very nice eye candy possible (but not required to run ubuntu)

-We will send all real green users to Linspire (if it gets an Ubuntu base).

-Ubuntu will become the platform of choice for other distros to derivate from.

-Ubuntu and its derivatives will attract users who don't want to buy new hardware for longhorn.

-Ubuntu's server,lightweight and school stuff will be much improved.

macewan
July 9th, 2005, 05:34 AM
Where do you think linux and ubuntu will be 1 year from now?

;-)

Hopefully we'll see it booting on a new laptop within the next 6 months.

poofyhairguy
July 9th, 2005, 05:47 AM
1.There will be at least one major Distribution disappear.

2. The open source community and the GPL will come under increased legal attack. The GPL will begin a period of substantial change.

3. Software Patents in Europe will slowly appear nation by nation.

Creepy.

My guesses (all wish list stuff):

1. Ndiswrapper will no longer suck

2. Broadcom will release drivers for their cards (making newer airport cards worht a damn in Linux)

3. Xcompmgr will be stable (because a wonderful how to will tell us all how to take the compositor out of Metacity)

4. HP will remake Compaq into its desktop Linux brand, distancing itself to the legal point required to keep OEM XP sales.

5. For most people hibernate and sleep will work on their laptops out of the box

6. Ubuntu will have a nice graphical installer that will automount NFTS on start and install on not the NTFS partition by default.

7. ATI will release decent Linux drivers, but Nvidia will still be the only to support the composite extension.

8. RMS will admit he uses Ubuntu on his desktop. So will Micheal Dell.

9. Yast will officially become a part of KDE, because it has every tool that KDE lacks.

10. There is no ten.

gil-galad
July 9th, 2005, 06:09 AM
My predictions:

- Novell will combine all its resources into the next version of Novell Linux Desktop, including an opengl X server, mono, beagle, and all that fun stuff. I predict it will be a very good release and they will try to rule the world with it, no telling how successful it will be.

- Ubuntu will remain very popular with linux enthusiasts, and will probably become the standard home linux distro. I also predict that between now and then, a small flavor-of-the-month distro will have a lot of hype generated, but ubuntu will remain the champ.

- Though RHEL 4 was a good release, it will be getting a little long in the tooth by next year and Red Hat will probably not do as well next to Novell in the business world. Fedora will probably have less users due to ubuntu.

- Slackware will basically be off the map. :(

- Debian will be different. Ubuntu is stealing much of its thunder. I am not sure what plans they have, but they are very important in the linux community and will remain so.

- Gentoo will remain gentoo.

- The small commercial distros will go off the map or be acquired by mandrake.

- Mandrake is the wild card here. They have started to acquire a lot of resources. They are going to try to conquer the linux desktop market with a successful distro. Will they succeed? I doubt it, but its possible.

TravisNewman
July 9th, 2005, 06:13 AM
" - Gentoo will remain gentoo."

Well put :) Gentoo is solid and doesn't need many major changes. It's just gentoo. It will continue to constantly evolve as always.

poofyhairguy
July 9th, 2005, 06:19 AM
- Gentoo will remain gentoo.

Linux headline in 2050:

"Today the newest Linux kernel, 1000.4.6 was released. I hope to try it as soon as it finishes compiling in Gentoo."

(Gentoo will always jsut be Gentoo)

gil-galad
July 9th, 2005, 06:28 AM
I think this is what you meant:

Linux headline in 2050:

"Today the newest Linux kernel, 1000.4.6 was released. I hope to try it as soon as 2.6.12 finishes compiling in Gentoo."

(Gentoo will always jsut be Gentoo)

;-) :grin:

sapo
July 9th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Creepy.
7. ATI will release decent Linux drivers, but Nvidia will still be the only to support the composite extension.

I will not wait till then.. i m selling my 9800pro to buy a TI4400.. i sold my TI4400 for R$ 380,00 and paied R$ 700,00 in my 9800pro.. but i regret every single cent!

R$ 1,00 ~= 0,40
R$ 380,00 = $152
R$ 700,00 = $280

expensive hum? ](*,)

UbuWu
July 9th, 2005, 01:12 PM
In the release breezy+2 :

-all current low priority goals and deferred goals will be completed including SELinux.

Although they are low priority, they are still goals for breezy, so I hope to see them sooner than breezy +2 ;-)

Ndiswrapper will no longer suck

Won't take a year:
http://spohlenz.blogspot.com/

ubuntu_demon
July 9th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Although they are low priority, they are still goals for breezy, so I hope to see them sooner than breezy +2 ;-)

Won't take a year:
http://spohlenz.blogspot.com/
I think they will be in breezy+1
SELinux will probably take a bit longer to finish (breezy+2)