PDA

View Full Version : Dell-pre-installed vs roll your own

hsweet
June 15th, 2007, 09:16 PM
I'm happy to see Dell selling pre-installed Ubuntu machines (although I would love to see more aggressive marketing on their part), but I don't get why I would want one. I can get Ubuntu working on most (desktop) hardware in an hour or less.

In other words what value does Dell add to Ubuntu?

Also, what happens when something breaks on a new Dell? Does Dell tweak hardware so you can't replace it with generic components once you are out of warrenty?

When something breaks on my computer, I go to newegg or the equivalent and buy a cheap off the shelf replacement. Can I do that with a Dell or do I have to go to them?

On the positive side, it probably would be good for folks nervious about installing an OS and perhaps if they are sucessful more companies will release specs or open drivers for their hardware.

johnc4510
June 15th, 2007, 09:20 PM
I would say the biggest advantage is that you don't have to pay the licensing fee for Windows. It also gives people an option they have never had, and probably didn't even know existed.

As for replacement parts, if the machine is out of warranty, use newegg parts.

a12ctic
June 15th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Also, linux laptops can be problematic, with wireless cards and bizzare hardware, its nice to have it all ready to go. Its also a major pain to build a laptop from scratch (although barebones are pretty simple, there can be problems with that and linux as well though)

starcraft.man
June 15th, 2007, 09:25 PM
I'm happy to see Dell selling pre-installed Ubuntu machines (although I would love to see more aggressive marketing on their part), but I don't get why I would want one. I can get Ubuntu working on most (desktop) hardware in an hour or less.

In other words what value does Dell add to Ubuntu?

Absolutely nothing. By preinstalling Ubuntu and configuring it, they open it up for a wider audience I suppose. People who want to try it and find their hardware poorly supported, or who can't be bothered with installing it will find Dell doing the work refreshing and easy. Other than that, IMO its just a convenience to current Ubuntu users to get a labtop/Desktop already set up and known to be hardware supported by Ubuntu.

Also, what happens when something breaks on a new Dell? Does Dell tweak hardware so you can't replace it with generic components once you are out of warrenty?

When something breaks on my computer, I go to newegg or the equivalent and buy a cheap off the shelf replacement. Can I do that with a Dell or do I have to go to them?

On the positive side, it probably would be good for folks nervious about installing an OS and perhaps if they are sucessful more companies will release specs or open drivers for their hardware

I assume if hardware breaks under warranty, Dell replaces it. I don't believe there is any "tweaking" by dell that prevents you from replacing it prior or after warranty expires.

Yes, you can buy any part you like, just make sure you know it works, dell would obviously only give you something they knew worked cuz they tested them.

Maybe, we will see about your last comment.

daynah
June 15th, 2007, 09:36 PM
What I learned today in two hours stuck on dell phone lines:

No 6 Month no-interest for ubuntu, don't try it.

No 6 month no-interest for no OS either, even if you rep at first says so and gets you to buy it. You'll end up canceling.

If you have a business/school discount' to use it on an ubuntu comp you have to do it over the phone.

jgrabham
June 15th, 2007, 09:46 PM
or roll your own

Are we talking about computers or tabs?? :]

JetskiDude911
June 15th, 2007, 09:55 PM
I always find it rather enjoyable to setup Linux and getting running, then installing and customizing all the programs I will need. My desktop right now (which I'm still working on) is coming along nicly. It's got everything I need, nothing I don't want.

I've had a wonderful time setting it, and there's more to come. I'm working on getting Beryl setup now. I've got it running, but tweaking it and getting it just right has been a lot of fun so far.

I might consider buying one of their laptops at some point, but I just don't see myself buying a desktop with Ubuntu already installed on it. But I do think it's cool that Dell is offering Ubuntu. I just get a lot of enjoyment out of setting it up and making it work exactly how I want it to.

prizrak
June 16th, 2007, 03:31 AM
The value of Dell machines is for people who:
1) Don't want to install their own OS
2) Want a fully working out of the box computer like one you would get with Windows.
3) A new user who would like to try Linux and knows it will work (you could always put Windows on that computer)
4) Laptops are pretty notorious with Linux. The Wi-Fi may work but ACPI might be off, or ACPI will work and Wi-Fi won't, or both will work and media keys won't work. Or some other random thing won't work or will work but not completely. Maybe the card reader will only read SD but not Memory Stick.

Dell hardware is normal PC x86 architecture. You can use anything in a Dell you would use normally in any other PC. It's not a Mac after all.