PDA

View Full Version : Ham Radio Op Ubuntuers

doobit
June 15th, 2007, 06:50 PM
I noticed in another post that there are a lot of Ubuntu users who are also amateur radio operators. I just thought I'd start a thread to see how many of us there are.

I'm KU4IS and I've been a ham since 1976. I've been an Ubuntu user since 2004.

guitodd
June 24th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Todd KB7RQQ in Vancouver Wa. Been a Ham since 1992. Spend most of my time on 40m and 10m phone. Usually listening while messing with the computers!

Yaesu FT920, Icom IC-735 for the HF. Shortened dipole for 80 and 40. Cushcraft R-7 at 30' for the rest.

David L
December 26th, 2007, 11:35 PM
Hi... AC4BN here. I'm interested to know if anyone here has used a PSK31 application, and if so, which one?? Where to download it?

Real newbie question (!): after downloading it, how does one get it up and running? thanks & 73, David

jgrabham
December 26th, 2007, 11:38 PM
Ive considered it before, but I cant really be bothered to do tests etc to get a license, and then have to pay a fortune for the equipment. :lolflag:

xe1ufo
December 28th, 2007, 06:57 AM
I am XE1UFO here in Mexico and also KA5SUT in the U.S. I espescially love low-power (QRP) portable operations. I am also a collector of telegraph keys and paddles.

And for jgrabham: You can get a full-blown ham radio for about half the price of an entry-level laptop. Plus I can say without reserve that our hobby allows you to save lives and do much good for society. And the tests are not what they used to be. You have to take a test to drive a car or to fly a plane or scuba dive. And you would be surprised how many places in the world there is no cell phone service.

Kingsley
December 28th, 2007, 07:25 AM
How do you guys get your ham radio names? I'm guessing they can't be chosen.

g7kse
December 28th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Some names can be bought as vanity call signs in some countries.

mostly they're allocated by the regulatory body. Mine G7KSE is broken down as

g - Country (England)
7 - Old b style licence VHF and above although now it's all bands
kse - the next letters on the list

generally the country code is the starting letter(s) or number(s). Most of them are here http://www.warc.org.uk/prefix.htm

alaskagene
December 30th, 2007, 01:01 AM
I recently purchased a QRP rig after a long absence from ham radio. I have spare laptop with Ubuntu 7.10 installed. Have been told that I can install CW/RTTY software to operate.
No modem/TNC or outboard device required, just the software.

Would appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

AL7KH in Ketchikan, Alaska

W2IBC
March 8th, 2008, 04:48 PM
ahh its nice to see some HAMS around here.

im tony kd8hho been a ham since march 2000 (8 years now who-hoo)

dont talk much since im living with my sister atm back in the home state but sometimes i fire up the ol 2meter ht.

I do listen alot around the HF bands just to see what i can hear.

73, tony

azimuth
March 8th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Thanks to this thread for reminding me I needed to renew my ticket. A quick click to QRZ site and I was able to renew online. That sure is easier than it used to be, having to drive 50 miles to a VEC testing session or mess with the printed forms and use the postal system.

Wayne Breshears
KB7CFD
Homedale, ID

W2IBC
March 8th, 2008, 08:54 PM
i just did the addy change on the fcc site. which was really easy i think for a gov. site

Papi-KB7VGW
March 8th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Yes I renewed over the web also and it was very easy. No rig right now but I am thinking of getting a QRP kit. I installed the cw program to relearn code. Want to get my speed back up above 5 wpm at least.

KB7VGW
Hillsboro, Or

W2IBC
March 8th, 2008, 09:13 PM
well i cant have "outdoor" antennas atm lol, i got a 2meter ht and a kenwood 570 that i mainly just listen to. got the 570 hooked to a 102inch whip on a mag mnt sittin on a metel chair out the window

n2stc
March 8th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Yes good to see other HAMs. I've been a ham since 95, linux user since 12/07. Anyone found a LINUX EchoLink solution?

73 de N2STC

http://personalpages.tds.net/~cehonski/files/its_me.html

www.moarc.com (http://www.moarc.com)

sordello
March 9th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Hi all
Been a Amateur radio operator for a few years and have recently started using Ubuntu only a couple months ago. so far it is the smoothest installing Linux distro yet. I have played with the Ham software for Ubuntu and it is quite usable. I have to admit that HRD (Ham Radio Deluxe) is one of the best software packages I have ever used so it makes me a little stuck with windows XP with that respect.

The newest addition to my computer world is the Asus eeepc with the xandros os distro. There is no ham radio software available for this system yet. Hopefully soon there will be as it seem the perfect match for the FT-817. I have tried the Xubuntu installation on it but had some issues that made me go back to the original os in advanced mode... After a bit of time and playing eventually it should make a fine portable radio PC for logging and PSK ops.

73's... Bruce... kb0pgo

bwhite82
March 28th, 2008, 10:44 PM
NS8N here (vanity, chosen for the weight on CW). Been hamming it up since 1999.

g7kse
April 9th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Sordello,

I saw you're an eepc owner. You can change the OS to ubuntu on an eeepc and there is a specific ubuntu flavour for it on eeeuser I think.

I run a beacon monitoring site and use Faros for that and would love to switch to an eee and do it under linux but there doesn't seem to be a native app for it.

Other than that I'm trying to make the switch from HRD and it's hard as theres no comparable app in linux

Alex, g7kse

rustybronco
April 9th, 2008, 01:25 PM
I'll throw my call sign into the mix.. kb8hsd since 1989, my father is a ham, so is my son... three generations worth.

g7kse
April 9th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Sounds like you're never more than a few feet away from a radio ham!

g4yjsbarrie
April 10th, 2008, 12:56 AM
Good idea OM.I am new to Ubuntu and am amazed at its useability and user friendliness.Also amazed at the ammount of info and applications available on my computer ready to be enabled and on line.
I would love to be able to thank the gentleman personally who devised the system,if anyone knows his e mail address.
Also a great big thank you to the staff at Canonical on the Isle of Man from were I downloaded my copy of Ubuntu 7.10.
I wish I had discovered it many years ago,would have saved me a lot of headaches(and money).
I absolutly love it.
THANK YOU also to Linux Format magazine that I have also just discovered.
Getting bsck to ham radio I have been licenced since 1984 mainly cw.and prior to that I was g6hzl.
cheers and 73 Barrie g4yjs.
In England thanks for the suggestion.

g7kse
April 10th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Ubuntu just gets better and better Barrie and has so much for the ham already as you're finding out.
I've just install a VOACap for linux that is just great.

If there was a beacon monitoring programme like Faros then that'd one more for me and one less for XP then it's just the issue over HRD and what to replace it with.

Another thing, welcome back to ham radio.

Perhaps we need some kind of google map with the ham radio ubuntu users on it. Having said that it probably already exists

Robdgreat
April 11th, 2008, 09:10 AM
ke5tpy here. I'm a relatively new ham, got my Tech and General less than a month ago, and got my first rig (Icom ic-t2h - budgeting apartment dweller) just yesterday. I plan to play on 2m for a while and then maybe ask Santa for a HF ;) I found this thread while searching for some info on setting up echolinux. The documentation is sparse to say the least, and I'm rather at a loss. If I could get that working it would help make up for my lack of a radio, as my understanding is the only IRLP repeater in my area (New Orleans, LA) is UHF and mine is but a mere single-bander 2m. Good to see such a great showing of hams using Ubuntu! The Louisiana LoCo will be doing a presentation at the NE Louisiana Hamfest this month and will be promoting/discussing/informing about ham-related software and Ubuntu. Ability to use Echolink is high on the list of compelling reasons to be able to switch, imho, and I'm hoping to be able to contribute in that regard.

Rob, KE5TPY

MattK358
April 11th, 2008, 09:26 AM
I'm here, Kilo Charlie 2 Romeo Golf Zulu, US FCC Amateur General. Got my ticket a year ago ish, upgraded 6 months ago..ish

I spend a lot of my time on my Yaesu FT-60R HT on the local repeaters chewing it up or helping people. I occasionally play on 40M too.

mirkone
May 9th, 2008, 02:06 PM
gd dr Old Mans & Young Ladies ;),
my callsign is delta oscar 1 juliett mike the German Licence Class E since 1999.
I use Ubuntu since 2005 and I search Programs for control my
Yaesu FT-857.

73 de mirko / do1jm

_aXXe_
May 20th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I recently purchased a QRP rig after a long absence from ham radio. I have spare laptop with Ubuntu 7.10 installed. Have been told that I can install CW/RTTY software to operate.
No modem/TNC or outboard device required, just the software.

Would appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

AL7KH in Ketchikan, Alaska

There are two programs that I know of that are for Windows but work in 7.10.
They are CwGet and CwType. CwGet works with your PC's sound card. Just run an external speaker plug from the jack on the rig to your sound card. It types the CW on your screen. CwType transmits your keyboard input to the transceiver. I believe you need an interface card for that but read the doc to be sure.

You'll need Wine installed. Both programs installed in 7.10 but not in my fresh install of 8.04. They may carry over with an upgrade.

Technoviking
May 20th, 2008, 02:35 PM
I'm N9YYO, but my rig died a few years back so I have not been on air in awhile.

Longrifle3006
May 23rd, 2008, 08:16 PM
KI8JQ here. Just got Ubuntu 8.04 up and running on my Eee and I'm hoping to be able to use it with my FT-817 and FT-897 for remote operations.

72/3 all :)

Steve413z
May 23rd, 2008, 08:18 PM
KB1GHC here

i'd have to say the coolest ham radio + linux hack i ever did, was I ran PSK31 remotely via SSH + X Forwarding using PuTTY as a client

mrb88
May 24th, 2008, 03:11 PM
N3CA here.

WackyCat
June 17th, 2008, 12:44 AM
N2QLQ here. Steve in NJ. First licensed back in '63..license lapsed and I got back into the hobby 10 years ago (Linux 1 month ago!).

BLTicklemonster
October 18th, 2008, 03:55 PM
I'm KF4SMU. Took the Novice, Tech and General tests back in '97, and passed all of them the same day, only missing two questions in General related to frequency allocation. Panicked taking the 13 wpm (but should have hung in there, dangit) and ended up just passing the 5 wpm, so I was stuck with Tech Plus license.

I have a Kenwood TS180S HF rig and a Windom antenna that I used to work all continents (not a paper hanger, so there's nothing but logs to show for it), and a Ranger RCI2950 Mobile 10 meter radio, an HTX202 handheld 2m with a home made 1/4 ground plane made out of 12 gage wire that I can hang from the ceiling to xmit on.

The Kenwood developed a problem a few years ago, and would not turn on. I haven't touched hf since then. Last night I dug it out and with some determined fiddling about it's back working again.

Storms took my windom down, but I have it rolled up in the closet behind me and am looking forward to stringing it back up soon. I also have a 4 element yagi still in the box propped up against the wall across from me since my birthday to remind me that I need to get the lead out and get back on the air.

(then there's the Cobra 2000 GTL with both speakers and a D-104 silver eagle... :) )

I, too, want to know more about using my computer and my rig to transmit and receive CW. I have a key, but lets face it... you know.

Anyway, I wonder how simple it can be to hook up and get going with CW?

Oh, and I just downloaded the General and Extra class pools and diagrams so that I can get full phone privileges one of these days. Danged if I had been thinking I'd have been ready for the Rome Ham Fest being held just up the road at the National Guard Armory today. They're giving the exams. Oh well.

Shame about the no solar activity on the one hand, but it's great that it is finally showing the relation between solar activity and the variations of climate here.

g7kse
October 18th, 2008, 04:23 PM
There may be no solar activity but my beacon monitoring station is still finding the east coast beacons on 18Mhz so there's a chance for some Europe to US CW QSO's if not some SSB. About this time of day seems to be best

73's

Alex, g7kse

kg4tah
October 18th, 2008, 05:22 PM
KG4TAH here. My name is Tony and I have had my ticket since 2001 or 2002. I have been using ubuntu for a year now. I have been a police officer for 12 years and just recently got promoted to Detective. I tinkered around some and ran an echolink node simplex link using ubuntu and a rigblaster for about 6 months with no problems at all. With the new assignment at work and a wife and 4 kids at home I have not been able to put too much time into the hobby here lately.

ModelM
October 18th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Hello & 73 to all..

billvert
October 21st, 2008, 08:30 AM
I,ve Been a ham since 1992 ( N6ZEU in Seattle, WA) and have used Linux on and off for about 3 years. I mostly have used Red Hat but a neighbor turned me on to Xubuntu (Hardy Heron) about 3 weeks ago so far I love it. I have been inactive in ham radio for about a year now and just decided to fire up the radios and try to get my EchoLink node running again. this is my first time running it under Linux and there have been a few challenges. I have everthing running pretty well with only one problem. Echolink does not hear my audio from my local mic or my simplex link. It (Hardy) apparently is not picking up my mic input from the sound card (CMI8378). Enough about my problems good to see some fellow hams here and even a fellow EchoLinker out here.

Kenwood TS-440
Kenwood TM-732A 2m/70cm
Yaesu VX-5R 2m/70cm/6m
Robyn T-240D 11 meters (we all started some where):)
Rigblaster for EchoLink

73 - Bill N6ZEU

g7kse
October 21st, 2008, 11:12 AM
I've just had a play with CQ100 from QSONet (http://www.qsonet.com/programs.html) and whilst it's a windows only program and not a 'proper' tranceiver if anyone gan get it working fully in Ubuntu then I'm sure it would be appreciated

BLTicklemonster
October 27th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Heh, anyone out there know how to wire a 6 wire d-104 silver eagle to a 4 pin kenwood ts180s?

umechanism
November 15th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Count me in.

Mike
KE5HJO:guitar:

yestoAPRS
December 29th, 2008, 04:04 AM
W7auw

kojo
January 3rd, 2009, 02:32 PM
kg4ofw in Maryland with Kenwood D700, TS-711, and an Icom-756

I've been having so much fun building ubuntu servers and streaming scanner audio over the Internet that I haven't been working the rigs much. Although I enjoy 80m and 20m phone as well as VHF/UHF DStar and FM.

Anybody have any experience setting up the amateur radio software package called SPLAT!

Dreamglider
November 12th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Not a ham yet but i do SWL quite a bit and use Ubuntu as well. it's the best :)

ve4cib
November 12th, 2009, 05:14 PM
<-- My callsign

I've had my license since high school, but only bought my first radio earlier this year. I got a black Yaesu VX-7R with a waterproof speaker-mic, and a handlful of antennae. Debating getting a throat-mic to go with it too.

mrz80
December 22nd, 2009, 01:00 PM
WA4UF here... ham since I inherited all of Dad's (W3PNT/sk) gear in 02. Spend most of my time on 40, 17, 6 and 2. I have a compulsion, much to my wife's chagrin, to fill the back yard with homebrew antennas. The whole sordid story is on my website:

http://www.afn.org/~scotsman/hamradio.html

Still running Hardy at home, work and on my work laptop. Got another laptop for portable ops to replace or supplement my ailing TRS80 Model 102; the new (well, old) laptop will get whatever Ubuntu is current as of when I get the new keyboard installed on it. :)

73 de Bruce, WA4UF - Go Gators!

tele_mark
December 22nd, 2009, 01:50 PM
WB1HJS since 1977, except for a 10 year stint as WI1W

n0njy
February 16th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Hi all;

Already posted in another thread. I'll reiterate a bit here.

Rick, N0NJY (Amateur Extra class license holder), Colorado Springs, CO. I use Ubuntu - for about 18 months or so now. I've used linux for many years in one form or another. Been a ham for about 20 years now.

Been involved in radio and electronics a lot longer, about 40 plus. I owned a small TV repair shop when I was 16 (vacuum tubes in those days!) and went in the military in '76.

I was in Combat Communications doing a lot of tactical stuff, and in 1982 was picked up by the White House and was soon a Senior Radio Tech for President Reagan and VP Bush (and later for President Bush) - did that WH stint for eight years.

I showed up here for several reasons.

The main reason is in two years I'm retiring to a sail boat where my wife (My First Mate) and I will start a cruising life for a few years. We will be taking ham radio and ubuntu (or some form or Linux) with us to help us on the boat - to do everything from Navigation to radio communications (like email via HF from remote parts of the planet).

I hope to be of some help here - or at least to learn as much as I can... (Along with working on my Captain's license, required if I ever want to charter in the US, studying all the things I need to know about communications using Airmail/Winlink2000, Sailmail, Pactor, sailing, rules of the road, and learning and understanding how to handle my finances from a boat in the middle of nowhere......)

So, I'm a busy guy. In the mean time, I'm still at my regular day job, taking care of electronic security systems at an unnamed location, somewhere underground in Colorado :)

If I can be of some assistance, send me a message, PM or email is fine. I started a web site where you can send me email as well (have to go to the contact page) at http://www.windsoftime.us

I'm found in a lot of other places as well, but those are politics-related, or sailing-related sites.

I am sometimes on echolink as well! Look for me there if you're set up for it.

Rick

NF7H
March 29th, 2010, 02:52 AM
NF7H I mostly operate with cw on hf. I have recently plugged into my area's IRLP repeater on 440 and am enjoying some vhf too. I have had limited success with Fldigi PSK31 running on my Dell mini 9 with Ubuntu 9.04. I am looking forward to the next netbook remix from ubuntu.

NF7H
March 29th, 2010, 02:56 AM
Rick,
We should hook up for a sched some evening. I was a NORTHCOM staff member in a prior life and have recently retired from USAF. I grew up sailing and put myself through college working in a sail loft in Oakland, CA. Anyway, feel free to e-mail me at NF7H@arrl.net to set up a sched on whatever freq/mode works for you. Greg

airbag
March 29th, 2010, 03:57 AM
Not a licensed ham here but took a ham radio class back in high school in 04. interested in getting licensed and in to ham. i regret not taking the test seriously enough back then but everyone becomes a different person when you're out of HS and in to reality. i attend Pikes peak and several rallies around the US with a handful of cars we built, all equipped with Ham radios.

Eli in Austin, been using ubuntu of some variety since 06, linux since 99.

zl1ogx
May 5th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Call is ZL1OGX, currently, previous call was GM1XOG. BUt that changed in 2003 when we moved to New Zealand. First ticket granted in 1987, 23 years ago now does not feel like it's been that long....

Active on HF most days.

Got a hold of a wee eeepc 4g and just put Ubuntu 10.04 onto it. Looking at using it for some digital operating see how it goes. Been sort of dabbling with linux for a few years but nothing serious up till now.

CUL, might hear so of you on 20mtrs

3rdalbum
May 5th, 2010, 12:05 PM
What exactly is it that radio hams do? Just chat to other radio hams? I'm sorta a bit fuzzy about exactly what happens on the air; if someone could describe it to me I'd appreciate it.

I've seen the Hancock's Half Hour episode and it's pretty funny, but of course I have no idea if any of that is related to real life.

zl1ogx
May 6th, 2010, 03:40 AM
Hi 3rdalbum

Was interested to read your post. Noticed that you are over in Oz. So if you want have a look at http://www.wia.org.au/discover/introduction/about/ (http://www.wia.org.au/discover/introduction/about/)to find out a bit more on how amateur radio works in Australia.

Also you could look at http://www.arrl.org/ or http://www.rsgb.org/ to find a bit more.

Yep it's not all Tony Hancock, there can be a real serious side in times of disasters.

Hope you find what you are looking for and maybe go for the foundation licence in Australia to give you a taste of what is out there.

Ian
ZL1OGX

ve4cib
May 6th, 2010, 06:35 AM
A couple of examples of emergency/non-chatting uses of amateur radio I've done:

Last spring we had the second worst flood in the last 100 years in my part of the world. Our local ARES group (Amateur Radio Emergency Service) was called out to help coordinate sandbagging at various locations in and around Winnipeg (my city). I spent a couple of days wandering around the riverbank with my radio letting the volunteer organizers at the other end of the city know if/when we needed more bodies to move sandbags around.

A lot of outdoors groups (like Scouts) use amateur radio a lot when out wandering around in the woods. There's an event held here every March called "Klondike" where teams of scouts run through the bush with a klondike gold rush style sled loaded with gear going from "town to town." At each town the kids have to accomplish some kind of task, from lashing together a ladder to scale a small wall, to first-aid skills, to lighting fires, etc... Each town has an amateur radio operator stationed at it to help the organizers track teams' progress through the course, as well as calling in the first aid snowmobiles if someone gets hurt.

Amateur radios work great for those kinds of field logistics. They generally have more range and power than family radios (my handheld does up to 5 watts, as opposed to the 1.5 to 2 watts that most family radios seem to manage). Cell phones could work a lot of the time, but amateur radio has the advantage that they work where there is no cell reception, and since everyone can hear what everyone else says it cuts down on the time spent sending information to each individual operator; one broadcast from the net controller and you're typically set. Plus there's no roaming charges with a radio.

e24ohm
May 6th, 2010, 02:46 PM
I have been very interested in getting a license for HAM; however, I am not sure what to do. Can anyone recommend any equipment that I could purchase, which I could use to listen to the HAM bands? Not really looking to transmit right now, just listen and learn.

Thank you.

piju
June 23rd, 2010, 12:27 PM
join us on irc.freenode.net #ubuntu-hams

and dont forget to check https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuHamsNets

lz1dsb
June 23rd, 2010, 02:30 PM
Hi piju,
Can I also join. I'm from Bulgaria...

donkyhotay
June 23rd, 2010, 03:13 PM
Both my wife and I are ham radio operators. I'm a general and she is a technician.

//edit: BTW, who here has plans for field day? It's coming up in just a few days.

samalex
June 23rd, 2010, 10:34 PM
I thought I posted a reply, but I'm not seeing it :-/ At any rate, another Ham here, though I haven't touched my radio in almost a year. I got my Tech license about 3 years ago with the intention of really getting into the hobby, but other than getting on 2m from time to time I haven't done much.

The 2m is still in the car, but I haven't turned it on in a LONG time, but I'd like to get more into it now that we're settling into a new house. I'd enjoy getting involved in an Ubuntu Ham group though. I used to really enjoy chatting with the guys on #hamradio on Freenode, but I think most of the guys who used to frequent it when I was there have moved on.

I'll try to jump in when I can, and also try to catch the Net though Echolink is my only option for now and I work when the Net takes place. But I'll find some way eventually :)

Sam - K5LNX

donkyhotay
June 23rd, 2010, 11:21 PM
I thought I posted a reply, but I'm not seeing it :-/ At any rate, another Ham here, though I haven't touched my radio in almost a year. I got my Tech license about 3 years ago with the intention of really getting into the hobby, but other than getting on 2m from time to time I haven't done much.

The 2m is still in the car, but I haven't turned it on in a LONG time, but I'd like to get more into it now that we're settling into a new house. I'd enjoy getting involved in an Ubuntu Ham group though. I used to really enjoy chatting with the guys on #hamradio on Freenode, but I think most of the guys who used to frequent it when I was there have moved on.

I'll try to jump in when I can, and also try to catch the Net though Echolink is my only option for now and I work when the Net takes place. But I'll find some way eventually :)

Sam - K5LNX

Even messing around on 2 meters you can have lots of fun, especially if you have an IRLP node in your area but of course HF where all the real action is. I got my general awhile back but have never gotten on HF due to the cost of a radio however I'm planning on building a pixie2 with my local elmer over the next few weeks (thought not in time for field day) so it is possible to do it on a budget.

ve7bbd
July 8th, 2010, 03:32 AM
hi my name stephen my call ve7bbd i live vancouver b.c i have had my ham ticket for about 20 years so long i do not rember when i first got it hello every one

kinkajou45
July 8th, 2010, 06:58 PM
I'm in the process of studying the ARRL manual for tech. I have classes scheduled in October 2010 and hope to be up to speed on the math and electronics by then.

I wish I had done this earlier though. I'm on the Gulf Coast, and it would have been nice to be able to help out with communications.

I have a couple of extra (old) machines running Lucid and thought I'd make one of those a dedicated computer for radio use. Looking forward to getting that license!

donkyhotay
July 9th, 2010, 03:15 PM
I'm in the process of studying the ARRL manual for tech. I have classes scheduled in October 2010 and hope to be up to speed on the math and electronics by then.

I wish I had done this earlier though. I'm on the Gulf Coast, and it would have been nice to be able to help out with communications.

I have a couple of extra (old) machines running Lucid and thought I'd make one of those a dedicated computer for radio use. Looking forward to getting that license!

Ham radio is lots of fun, can save someones life in an emergency, and really easy to do now that they have eliminated all morse code requirements. I tried getting my test about 15-20 years ago and never did it because I had trouble with the code. Of course now with computers it's easier for me to learn morse code as I can now practice with others over the internet. There is even an xchat addon that lets you do morse code via IRC which is pretty cool.

mörgæs
July 10th, 2010, 05:00 AM
Hi, old 2M amateur here. Many years since I was on the air, though. Programming caught my interest and the station is sold.

ke4obt
August 8th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Hey All,
New Ubuntu / Vinux user and learning the ropes and haveing fun doing it.
Name is Flip and the call is KE4OBT (http://www.qrz.com/db/ke4obt), been licenced sence May 1994.
I am a blind operater and webmaster of Ham Radio Advisors (http://hraworld.com).
Has anybody been able to use echolinux with a different
GUI interface that's not made using QT?
QT is not accessable at this time, although it is being worked on or at least that's what i'm hearing in the ground noise.

PaulW2U
August 8th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Still licensed as G4MBY but no longer on the air.

25 years ago I sold most of my equipment to help buy some property. I later got into computing and a few other time consuming interests. Although I intended to get back on the air it never happened and probably never will. Shame, as I was a very active short-wave listener back in the 1970s.

ortf
November 27th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Hello fellow Ubuntu amateur radio operators.

Tom, from Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.A. Been a 'General' for 3 years. I'm a casual operator using a Yaesu ft-2000 on a G5RV up about 25 feet (I do more SWL). Also have an FT-817 that I'd like to connect up to Ubuntu as a remote internet receiver.

Cheers to all.
73 Tom KJ4AJX

yotux
December 5th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Hello everyone,

I have been using Ubuntun since 2005. This year I received my Amateur radio license from the FCC.

Some of my computer friends told me I should change my call to something that has more meaning to me.

My FCC call sign is KC9TUX.

I have a YAESU FT-8900. I am looking how to control it via Ubuntu. Also I have joined my local ARES / RACES team here in Wisconsin.

Great to see that we have fellow operators but a little sad to hear about all of the silent air.

Cheers everyone,

Nathan aka KC9TUX

73's

kc1di
March 10th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Hi All,
First Licensed in 1966 Novice let that lapse and relicensed in 1973. Been hamming ever since. I do mostly qrp work low power CW and some psk-31/64. Have use ubuntu on and off since 2004. but then I'm a Distro hopper and have tried many over the years was first introduced to Linux in 2002 and used red Hat for many years.
Still Ubuntu seems to be my go to Distro these day. it's fairly easy to get going and looks good too.

73 ,
Dave

EA7/G8AZC
April 10th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Hi Folks,
First licenced in the late 60's but can't remember exactly when :D Became inactive in 1990 when I discovered that the new QTH (Woking, Surrey) was extremely deaf. I couldn't even access the 2m repeater in Guildford which was only 7 miles away. I retired a couple of years ago and purchased a villa in south eastern Spain where I now live.

I'm currently in the process of getting the paperwork organised so that I can apply for a Spanish licence (the Spanish love lots and lots of paperwork - nothing's ever simple). but in the meantime I've put a station together and been operating on the HF bands from 40m and upwards.

73's
Lissa

OH2AXE
July 23rd, 2011, 07:30 PM
I'm OH2AXE and been using Ubuntu for everything else but ham radio for quite some years now. The lack of ham use is just that my very old 166MHz PC (running WIN 98SE) in the shack should have been replaced a long time ago to be of any real use for digital modes etc. I'm in the process of getting a "new" (ie. 2nd hand), more powerful machine there and it will be running Ubuntu (at last!). I've been a ham with this same call sign since 1971. See www.qrz.com/oh2axe (http://www.qrz.com/oh2axe).

Oh - that qrz.com link won't work this way. Just go to www.qrz.com and search for oh2axe.

DoctorTim
August 27th, 2011, 03:32 AM
In late, but hello from KC9JCH
Northern Wisconsin, EN55dv
Extra since 2009
Somebody mentioned HRD earlier. That program is the only reason I keep windows at all. Machine in the shack is an iMac running XP pro and ubuntu 10.10 both as virtual machines in VMWare. If somebody ported HRD for ubuntu, I'd drop the mac and windows both.
'73

keymanu
October 4th, 2011, 11:23 PM
CQ CQ CQ HI HI
KC9BZC here, been uning linux sinse late 95 (redhat 5) and get my ticket around 2002 I'm a general now :) mostly on 40 meters. I try to do digi when i can get it to work, but no money makes it hard now days. oh yeah i'm at EM59DTFQ.

Does any one know of thread for fldigi?

73's
KC9BZC

cecilpierce
June 9th, 2012, 02:52 AM
Wow ! this thread has been dead for awhile, thought I would bring it back up.
Was searching for psk31 prg that would work with 12.04 or 12.10, finally gor qsstv to work with pulse audio.

73, WD4LKO

spynappels
June 9th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Hi All,

MI6PYN, Foundation License holder from Northern Ireland here.

Mostly active on the local 2M repeater while commuting, will try to get on QRP HF using digimodes soon.

73s and Regards,
Stefan

Bandit
June 9th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Call everyone explain the hype with Ham Radio? I know technically what it is but not actually what it is that people use it for these days.

Cheers,
Joe

mörgæs
June 9th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Sharing ideas, experimenting, trying do-it-yourself-work, playing with big hardware, having fun, meeting people - not that far away from being a Buntu amateur, I think.

mips
June 9th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Call everyone explain the hype with Ham Radio? I know technically what it is but not actually what it is that people use it for these days.

Cheers,
Joe

HAM radio has been going for yonks! Some people started off on CB and progressed. Others have spoken to astronauts or cosmonauts etc. I think over the years the hobby has become cheaper but you still need to go do your local licenses etc. On top of that they have packet radio service if I'm not mistaken. It's a cool hobby but it takes a special type of person & some money to get involved. they also have competitions to reach like far places etc and it's scientific where you have to take into consideration atmospheric, solar and other conditions. they exchange badges and stuff like that.

Bandit
June 9th, 2012, 07:43 PM
HAM radio has been going for yonks! Some people started off on CB and.............
CBs were really big here before the cellphone became affordable to everyone.
Bandit was actually my CB handle.. LOL Which is were my U/N came from.
Not sure I got the room and resources to start up a HAM Radio project but that may be something for me to check in to at a later time.

PaulW2U
June 9th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Sharing ideas, experimenting, trying do-it-yourself-work, playing with big hardware, having fun, meeting people - not that far away from being a Buntu amateur, I think.

That's about right.

I used to sit in front of several radios all day. Now I sit in front of several PCs all day.

I switched from using a microphone to posting on these forums and using IRC. ;)

G4MBY

craig10x
June 9th, 2012, 08:54 PM
I didn't even realize there was an ubuntu forums thread for ham radio operators...
I'm Craig WB2YWB...got my novice license in 1965 (was assigned a different class sign) let that lapse then got my General Class ham license in 1966 under my current callsign i gave above...

I had great fun with it in the 60s and 70s but haven't had any ham gear in more recent years...It was great fun and i kind of miss it a lot...

There is a program called Hamsphere which i use now...it's more like "simulated ham radio" but it's a lot of fun and is open to all (hams and non-hams)...they do give a free trial for i think about 2 weeks to try, but after that it's like $30 a year...

The creator of the program has made a simulation which makes you feel you are really on the bands...and there are people all over the world having QSOs (contacts) on there...

It's fun and at least gives me a bit of the old ham radio feel back :)

The program works on windows/mac/linux
For mac and linux it is a Jar file...you just download it, go to the file and into permissions to "execute" the file and then left click and open with Java...

One note though...it only works with the licensed oracle java so you need to get that on because it doesn't work with the open source version...

In case you want to check it out: (it's kind of like "virtual ham radio"....lol) There's a mixed group of actual hams, ex-cb operators and short wave listeners)....

http://www.hamsphere.com/

Oh yes...and the easy way to add the licensed oracle java to your ubuntu unstall:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=93052

mips
June 9th, 2012, 09:52 PM
CBs were really big here before the cellphone became affordable to everyone.
Bandit was actually my CB handle.. LOL Which is were my U/N came from.

Do you know Smokey (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sumlin/3173116249/) (aka Buford T. Justice)? :biggrin:

TVTrukChik
June 10th, 2012, 12:07 AM
Hi, everyone! Donna, KB6FOT here. Ham since '85 and Ubuntu user since 2008.

dwhite
June 10th, 2012, 12:23 AM
hi
AB1MG here

kd5mkv
June 28th, 2012, 02:12 PM
I am KD5MKV Steve from Edinburg,Tx using Ubuntu 10.4, I have switched completely to Ubuntu linux three years ago. Like to thank the folks at Ubuntu Hams for the PPA repositories.

kinkajou45
June 30th, 2012, 08:58 PM
K5FIWL, Pasadena.

Anyone out there using chirp to read TYT-UVF1? lsusub is showing Prolific cable in software...the chirp site shows TYT-UVF 1 support "new"

click4851
June 30th, 2012, 10:12 PM
KD7BUG, Pacific Northwest since early 90's

-kg-
July 2nd, 2012, 06:47 AM
GM DE KG5UC / NAME IS GLENN /

I've been a licensed ham since 1964, then under the call sign WN/A9VPF (got my novice, then my General 6 months later). I held WB9PWF briefly, then received my present call while living in the New Orleans area. I've used Ubuntu since 2008, though I did have earlier brief stints with both Redhat and Mandrake. I've also used OS/2, BeOS, M$DOS (before Windows), and Atari DOS, with a few others thrown in briefly.

I've operated the bands 160 meters through 70cm, WARC bands included, using most of the older modes, both digital and analog. My favorite was always A-1, and in the early '90s I achieved around 40 WPM (by ear...couldn't write that fast!). I even operated CW while driving an 18-wheeler (good thing I could receive code by ear!).

I've been a VE, operated during events and emergencies, and even passed a message or two, sent and received by RTTY. I've been net control on several nets, the longest term of which was with the Before Breakfast Club on 75 meters.

I no longer operate my ham station much, since a tree took down the farm and I just haven't had the gumption to put it all back up. I'm getting a bit along to be running up and down ladders and traipsing all over roofs and such, let alone cutting down tree limbs that have grown in the way.

My current 'project' is in the literary field. I've written and am now editing an 112,000 word Fantasy novel, which I plan to make a series. That and the 'net takes up most of my time, these days.

As you've likely deduced by now, I've 'owned' more than one repeater's "windbag filter." LOL! I can time out a repeater without even trying!

:lolflag:

xe1ufo
July 14th, 2012, 03:38 AM
I am KA5SUT in the U. S., and XE1UFO here in Mexico. I love QRP, DX, CW and emergency ops. (I was active during and after the 1985 Mexico City quake.) 73.

cecilpierce
July 14th, 2012, 04:03 AM
I am KA5SUT in the U. S., and XE1UFO here in Mexico. I love QRP, DX, CW and emergency ops. (I was active during and after the 1985 Mexico City quake.) 73.

Hi Stephen, I just put up an old 10-80 butternut vert but the bands are real noisey so far.
I listen to south cars on 7.251 in the mornings, about the only thing I can get decent.
73, Cecil wd4lko

7thday
December 9th, 2012, 08:41 PM
Ray, W6GLK here now in Washington State. Ham since 1947. Ubuntu user since about 2006.

I have a question:
Is there a ubuntu version software for Ten Tech's Pegasus DSP Transceiver? If so I am having some difficulty finding it. Your help would be appreciated.

73s

:D

ShogunTX
December 10th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Well after reading this tread I am inspired to study up an pick up my Tech license. Back in the eighties and some of the nineties my father was a Amateur Radio Operator. It has been a while since he was on the Air but he still has all of the equipment laying around the house. Believe it or not he still has a Browning Golden Eagle Citizen Band Base Station collecting dust but in excellent condition.

I did a little research and it looks like there is an active group in town, and maybe a branch of SkyWarn.

JKyleOKC
December 10th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Maybe after lurking this thread for a bit, I ought to get back with it. From 1956 to 1967 I was K5JKX (portable 6 for a couple of years in that time) but I let the ticket lapse when the FCC was charging for renewal and the whole community seemed to be embroiled in a civil war over privileges.

I was one of the first to write for 73 magazine, and continued to write for it after letting go the ticket. My main interest was VHF, primarily the 6-meter band but toward the end of the time got into 2-meter operation also. Never did much of anything on HF although I got my General Class ticket very soon after getting Tech (also a First Class Radio Telephone with Radar Endorsement back when they still issued those).

It was great fun, but once I discovered computers (in late 1965) they took over for me...

ShogunTX
December 11th, 2012, 12:11 AM
Anyone jumping on the Ubuntu-HamsNets tonight?

Not having a license, if there is still a contingency that meets I was looking forward to tuning in on the web.

Bo Rogers
January 5th, 2013, 05:50 PM
New to Ubuntu as of 2011. Just renewed my license KD5QXC technician class. Freedom is what has driven me to operate and Ubuntu!

RoosterHam
March 7th, 2013, 03:45 AM
I would desperately love to start by saying this is VK4F... and so on.

But unfortunately, through a comedy of errors, not quite yet. I spend a little time each day tuning my Drake SSR-1 and on GlobalTuners.

I am, however, a long time Linux user. Starting in 2001 with Red Hat, Mandrake, Debian then Slackware, I have spent the last 5 or so years with an afinity for Debian and Debian-based releases, Ubuntu being my preference for the last 3 years, and some *BSD use also.

I was drawn to Linux for the same reasons I love listening to radio amateurs. Collaboration, technical self advancement, information sharing and open standards, and self reliance/DIY.

Goldpin
March 12th, 2013, 12:03 PM
I currently hold two callisgins, WA1JUP and G0DDZ. I was first licensed as WN1JUP in Jan '68 and upgraded to Tech in '69 (hence WA1JUP). Upgraded to Extra in 2009. I was licensed as G5DDZ in 1979 and when the licensing authority reassigned that callsign block, I was assigned G0DDZ in the mid '80s. I am now getting back into radio after a 20 year hiatus although I've always kept the license current.

linsol
May 19th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Hi all, Bill K7BTE. Is anyone using FDLOG and if so, how do you get it to run? Using Ubuntu 13.04. When I double click on the fdlog icon as the readme files says, Kate open and shows the program code.

py8elo
May 25th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Hi all,
greetings from Brazil!!!
My name is Silva and my call is PY8ELO.
I use Linux until about 10 years ago and I has tested many distros. Today (until about 7 years ago I has adopted Ubuntu) I run Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on a Intel E7500 core 2 duo.
I use it for all except to programming some radios.
I also run many digimodes under Linux. In special JT65 modes.
For now, I am looking for a way to compile WSJT-X on my Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.
Any help are wellcome!!!
I hope we can make a nice QSO on the bands some day!

Best 73's,

Silva.
PY8ELO

rattskjelke
June 22nd, 2013, 06:47 PM
Are there any hams out there that run a VoIP node like EchoLink or Allstar using Ubuntu or another Ubuntu based distro and using hardware COS/PTT? I can't get my USB serial port to work properly.
I started this thread on the problem and had no responses: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2101935

kc5hwb
July 20th, 2013, 01:39 AM
kc5hwb from Grapevine, TX

If you're in the area, hit me up on 2 meters - 147.14 or 70cm at 444.850 - both machines have a 110.9PL.

73s

FuzzyFeat
August 2nd, 2013, 04:33 PM
AE4OV/MM Currently in Beaufort NC. Rig is a IC-706MKIIG. Been a Ham for 20 years and a Ubuntu devote since -04.

jimallyn
July 31st, 2014, 04:38 AM
Greetings all, from N7JA in Wenatchee, WA. I got my Novice license (WN7NDB) in 1976, then upgraded to Advanced (WB7NDB) early in 1977, and to Extra in late 1977. Current callsign is N7JA, and I plan to keep that callsign (it's my intials). Currently only using a 2 meter handie-talkie, but used to do a lot of HF CW, 2 meter aurora scatter, satellite, and packet.

na6xr
August 13th, 2014, 07:34 AM
I have a techie question, does any one have any idea how well Ubuntu works with RAspberry PI's and has anyone finished a complete project, i.e. allstar, echolink or Dstar? and how did you do it?