PDA

View Full Version : I need to get to the bottom of this... this is weird...

Mazza558
June 15th, 2007, 05:41 PM
...Was just talking on Pidgin with a friend (on Windows and using WLM), and I think he's got a virus.

I got a message, completely randomly, saying this:

h t t p://www2.imward.com/m.php?m=(my email address) those ur pics?

(Separated the address for safety)

...Okay, whatever this thing is, it has my email address in it.

I clicked the link, and it seems to be some kind of bizarre web directory.

Here's a screenshot of the website:

http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/1889/webistemp0.jpg

That's all it is. I knew I would be safe because I was on Ubuntu at the time, but what was it?

:???:

jkblacker
June 15th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Did you not click the 'Why am I seeing this website?' link?

Mazza558
June 15th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Did you not click the 'Why am I seeing this website?' link?

It's a link to an email address (It tried to open Evolution)

smoker
June 15th, 2007, 05:47 PM
i got this

Welcome to imward.com. This domain was recently registered at namecheap.com. The domain owner may currently be creating a great site for this domain. Please check again later!

at this link: http://www.imward.com/

appears to be some sort of domain name site or something!

Mazza558
June 15th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Hmm... but what has that got to do with my email address and a conversation over the MSN protocol?

smoker
June 15th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Hmm... but what has that got to do with my email address and a conversation over the MSN protocol?

haven't a clue, but i would suspect your friend's computer maybe has spyware collecting info for this site, or some other connected to it. i would ask him to run a few spyware scans and see what the results are.

FuturePilot
June 15th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Weird.:o
Why is there a random dot on it?

Mazza558
June 15th, 2007, 06:00 PM
My mouse was hovering over one of the selections when i SSed it. If not, it's probably the GIMP's fault.

kelvin spratt
June 15th, 2007, 06:25 PM
What you see is a adware program it just needs mouse over to install on a Windows computer Tuesday was windows monthly update day, the day after is adware exploits day they now have one month to attack MS as all Ms does is patch up holes in their very insecure operating system they will of attacked millions of computers in one 24hr swoop messenger is the easiest way to get in they steal all email addresses from that computer then direct it to send the the program to the list of emails, but it may also have taken other details as well. so warn your friend to check his computer and these programs can be hard to detect

Mazza558
June 15th, 2007, 06:27 PM
He's running a Spybot S&D scan now.

tcpip4lyfe
June 15th, 2007, 06:34 PM
If he uses outlook maybe he has your email address in it and since you probably have a hotmail account, the virus probably knew that you has MSN and sent you a message. Probably a pay per click ad. That what I think anyway.

kelvin spratt
June 15th, 2007, 06:36 PM
he needs more than Spy-Bot he needs to run a full virus scan and to check system 32 for strange entries like start. stop.He needs to use crap cleaner if he does not already to clean the system as Spy- bot is good but you need at least 3 applications, as they are smart and disguise there viruses and adware very smart people

Cheese Sandwich
June 15th, 2007, 06:41 PM
What you see is a adware program it just needs mouse over to install on a Windows computer Tuesday was windows monthly update day, the day after is adware exploits day they now have one month to attack MS as all Ms does is patch up holes in their very insecure operating system they will of attacked millions of computers in one 24hr swoop messenger is the easiest way to get in they steal all email addresses from that computer then direct it to send the the program to the list of emails, but it may also have taken other details as well. so warn your friend to check his computer and these programs can be hard to detect

I think you just overran my mental sentence buffer. Are you trying to hack my brain?

ThinkBuntu
June 15th, 2007, 06:52 PM
I think you just overran my mental sentence buffer. Are you trying to hack my brain?
He claims dyslexia.

kelvin spratt
June 15th, 2007, 07:06 PM
take a look at this if you think windows is safe it also may answer the original question
http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9728711-7.html?tag=head

use a name
June 15th, 2007, 08:01 PM
By clicking the link, you've fed your mailaddress to a php script which may well have stored your address. Easy way to phone home without the need to check if the mailaddress is in use. :S

FuturePilot
June 15th, 2007, 08:18 PM
It's a good thing I didn't try that with my email address:o