PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh Valley People

iqag1060
June 15th, 2007, 04:36 PM
I just wanted to get some sense of how many (few?) people there are on here in the Lehigh Valley and surrounding area, and who they are. Maybe we could start playing catch up to Philly - or at least to Harrisburg.

I've been negligent about participating in LVLUG. I didn't realize they had switched their meetings to weekends - I'll try to be better about that. Maybe someone could update us on what they're up to and what we could cooperate with them on.

My wife teaches at a high school in Bethlehem. Before everyone dissipates for the summer, I'd like to talk to their tech person about doing a Software Freedom Day event there for parents and students in September. I've also been talking to some people about doing some sort of weekend computer classes/activities there. Are there people here who would be interested in working on either?

Also, how do you feel about the current division of our region of the state? We're as close to Philly as to Scranton - and there's still a lot more to PA past Scranton. Are oversized divisions a (psychological or physical) barrier to organization and activity? Could that also be affecting Western PA?

elizabeth
June 15th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Are oversized divisions a (psychological or physical) barrier to organization and activity? Could that also be affecting Western PA?

That's entirely possible, but I think part of the problem is that we haven't made clear enough that anyone can create a regional subset of the PA group.

We tried to divide the state up into logical groups, but it really needs to be up to the people who live in those areas to say "I'm too far from Scranton and Philly - I'll make another subgroup" and then take charge of it. It's difficult for those of us not familiar with the areas to make such decisions.

iqag1060
June 15th, 2007, 08:45 PM
We tried to divide the state up into logical groups, but it really needs to be up to the people who live in those areas to say "I'm too far from Scranton and Philly - I'll make another subgroup" and then take charge of it. It's difficult for those of us not familiar with the areas to make such decisions.

I completely understand and appreciate that. I was hoping this thread might spark some collective brainstorming into how to activate these areas. My personal opinion is that regional subteams (at this stage) are not as important as local activities which can grow organically into teams. I personally have no problem going to Philly, Harrisburg, or Scranton (or NY/NJ) when possible, but I wouldn't want people in Scranton and Wilkes-Barre to feel obliged to come to events in Allentown or Bethlehem because of the team structure.

So, it could turn into regrouping or sub-sub-teams or something else, but first we need some movement.

jedijf
June 15th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Awesome!

This is how it all starts. Let's keep the conversation going and I am sure that the Lehigh Valley will pull something together.

From our experience in the philly area it has been word of mouth via the local lugs that resourced the regional sub-team.

Kevin, Randy, Ben, Chris F., and myself from Pacs and Alex, Andrew, and Lyz from PLUG and its offshoots.

There was probably a 2 month process to get to the first event meeting. But it eventually happened and now it seems to be rolling along.

Good luck, and if you need any assistance just give a shout and we'll see what we can throw together.

hklak
June 16th, 2007, 03:01 AM
up in the Stroudsburg area. could lend a hand although i am home about 15% of the time... typical northern NJ commuter - but willing to learn and help...

bfledderjohn
June 17th, 2007, 03:16 AM
Initially those divisions were used to determine where we had members, and they kinda stuck.

We need discussions like this, because then people from specific areas start talking, networking, and then things happen!

cwood06
June 27th, 2007, 05:55 AM
Im from Canton Pa, not sure how to join the team but id like to help if I can

lamalex
June 27th, 2007, 01:39 PM
https://launchpad.net/%7Epennsylvania/+join/ is the official link to join. You may also want to sign up for the mailing list at https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/Ubuntu-us-pa, hang out with us in irc on irc.freenode.net, #ubuntu-pennsylvania, and discuss things on the forums! Welcome to the team.

n3gbz
June 27th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Welcome,

I was surprised that http://epodunk.com/ actually had three Cantons in Pennsylvania!

The Bradford County borough was the one that I was somewhat familiar with. Geographically we are probably the closest. We have a small group in Susquehanna County and so far have done one Software Freedom Day and one Ubuntu Release Party. A second Software Freedom Day is planned for this September although it is still in the talking stage.

gene6482
June 30th, 2007, 09:17 PM
I'm located in Kulpmont, Northumberland County.

elizabeth
July 1st, 2007, 12:11 AM
Welcome to the team Gene!

erstazi went ahead and approved you on launchpad :)

ZacDavis
July 25th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Hey, I'm in the Lehigh Valley, Bethlehem to be exact. Could someone tell me if we have anything going on around the LV?

MikeMM
August 2nd, 2007, 02:19 AM
I'm from lake ariel, Looking to do my part in whatever porjects are available/planned.

kriebz
August 4th, 2007, 03:16 PM
ZacDavis: Hey, I'm in Bethlehem too. There's a Lehigh Valley LUG ( http://www.thelinuxlink.net/lvlinux/ ) that is in need of additional member support after two long-time members moved.

maino82
August 5th, 2007, 04:08 PM
My fiance is from the Lehigh Valley (we're currently in CA) so we are back there quite often. Hopefully one of these times we will be there when there's an event going on and we can join in! I'm glad to see there's plenty of Ubuntu love in PA!

rrinker
August 5th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Grew up in the Lehigh Valley area, went to college at Lehigh. I was living in Fogelsville but recently moved to Pottstown. I'm pretty much everywhere - the company I work for has clients all over central and eastern PA.

LaRoza
November 24th, 2007, 05:52 AM
I live in Scranton/Dunmore and I seem to be alone up here :-(. I will do what I can to represent the team in this part of the state.

JustinJS
April 23rd, 2008, 08:05 PM
I live in Bethlehem and graduated from liberty there in 2006.

jakie18064
May 11th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Is this group still active?

davidw19125
July 30th, 2009, 01:25 AM
I want to clean up some space on my hard drive by getting rid of some files I do not need but do not know if I can use computer janitor or not to get rid of them. I want to get rid of a deb package but only if it will still let the program on my computer working the way it should.
What is the best way to find files that you don't need and get rid of them to free up disk space.

Davidw19125

dark_religion
November 13th, 2009, 06:08 PM
I live in Kiev\Ukraine. Graduated. KPI

pabstsmear
May 26th, 2010, 08:31 AM
I am from Allentown/South Whitehall area. I moved back here last year from San Francisco. I don't know many people in the area who use Linux operating systems of any kind. I too would like to know if there is anything going on in the area/if there is anyway to meet other users.

My windows and mac friends don't understand anything I am talking about and don't really care. I have only been using Ubuntu about two years and I really would like to meet some people who know more than I do.

I had a few friends in California who were pretty advanced Linux users, coming from a few different distros. Ubuntu is the only one I have used regularly and I really couldn't ask for more... most of the time. About once a day I hit a wall with something, but its all about the learning.

jedijf
June 2nd, 2010, 02:19 PM
Welcome!!!

Try this:

http://www.thelinuxlink.net/lvlinux/

I think they are tied to some other groups in the area as well.

http://www.lvcg.org/

That should help get you started - also check all of out resources at:

http://ubuntupennsylvania.org/