PDA

View Full Version : Why can't gnome get along with KDE?

PatrickMay16
June 15th, 2007, 03:07 PM
I understand that they are different projects with different goals, but if you have many different needs you'll probably end up having to use some gnome programs even though you use KDE, and some KDE programs even though you use gnome.
KDE at least applies its color scheme to GTK1 and GTK2 applications, and can integrate GTK stuff even more if you install the gtk-qt engine. Gnome doesn't apply its color scheme to kde programs at all, and if you use programs from all DEs, this can get very annoying.

I'll report this as a bug in gnome's bugzilla.

FuturePilot
June 15th, 2007, 03:13 PM
It's just a matter of different theme engines. Yeah I do agree that KDE apps don't integrate too well with Gnome. But I did find out that if you are using Gnome you can install kcontrol and control the themes of your KDE apps.

starcraft.man
June 15th, 2007, 03:22 PM
It's just a matter of different theme engines. Yeah I do agree that KDE apps don't integrate too well with Gnome. But I did find out that if you are using Gnome you can install kcontrol and control the themes of your KDE apps.

Agreed on the kcontrol point, you can use it to manipulate the kde apps in gnome. Honestly though, bleh... I don't really think them matching your theme throughout is the most important thing in the world, long as the KDE app is functional and doesn't crash isn't that good enough? It is for me, I guess different standards...

FuturePilot
June 15th, 2007, 03:26 PM
I'm usually big on having things integrate nicely, but like you said, as long as it works I'm happy, even if it doesn't integrate well.
I actually had no clue about the kcontrol thing until yesterday. I was amazed. Had no clue that was possible.:D

tanelt
June 15th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Until people stop fighting about which side of the sun looks brighter and join together to work on a single project, Linux will always stay behind of the two other major competitors.

starcraft.man
June 15th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Until people stop fighting about which side of the sun looks brighter and join together to work on a single project, Linux will always stay behind of the two other major competitors.

Huh? Suse and Fedora offer GNOME and KDE too.... Or were your referring to Apple and Windows? I kinda think all the choice for desktop environment is one of the crowning achievements of Linux, you can make it look almost exactly how you want it to and never have to code a single thing, that is superb. :)

igknighted
June 15th, 2007, 03:40 PM

Umm, Gnome and KDE aren't bickering, they actually share a lot of code. They just offer very different products, and that is very valuable. Besides, I'll take 3 DEs (I include Xfce) and 1% of the market over 1 DE and 10% of the market because open source needs to have choices. People need to have software that does what they want, and Gnome alone cannot do that, KDE cannot, Xfce cannot... the list goes on. One DE is not a solution, it is more of a problem.