PDA

View Full Version : small python project.. question..

kimes
July 8th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Is there any small projects written in python..which is good to dig into for a while?
I'm actually newbie in python.. so I need some well written python small project to spend some times on it..?

Could you recommend?

ps. actually I tried moinmoin source code..
but without knowledge of CGI, It was so hard ](*,)

sapo
July 8th, 2005, 09:57 PM
take a look at my first python project

http://xgn.no-ip.org:1000/downloads/converter.py

i m a newbie too.. so i m sure you will understand my code :grin:

but it uses wxPython ok?

nonphasis
July 9th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Is there any small projects written in python..which is good to dig into for a while?
I'm actually newbie in python.. so I need some well written python small project to spend some times on it..?

You could try reading some of the standard library source code at /usr/lib/python2.4 for well written python code.

thumper
July 11th, 2005, 10:06 AM

Could you recommend?

I suggest getting a copy of the Python Cookbook by O'Reilly (make sure you get the 2nd edition). Great code snippits in there, also a great place to learn python idioms.

cwaldbieser
July 12th, 2005, 02:02 AM
I suggest getting a copy of the Python Cookbook by O'Reilly (make sure you get the 2nd edition). Great code snippits in there, also a great place to learn python idioms.

I enjoyed both the 2nd and 3rd editions. The 3rd ed. seemed to cover most of the material in the 2nd ed. as well as showcasing some of the newer Python 2.4 features.

Mike Buksas
July 15th, 2005, 09:55 PM

Could you recommend?

ps. actually I tried moinmoin source code..
but without knowledge of CGI, It was so hard ](*,)

Try looking around at Sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net) . There are 4154 python projects listed there currently. With some searching, I believe you could find one that fit's your interests and scale. The project may also be looking for bugfixers or additional developers.

Mike

charlieg
July 16th, 2005, 01:45 AM
kimes: You could try looking at some of the small gamelets on www.pygame.org which could incidently be slightly fun since they are, well, games!

Mike Buksas: Looking at sourceforge won't help. Looking through 4134 projects will not only be tedious, but how the hell is he to know when he reaches a suitable, small, well written python app? That's why he's asking here, to get somebody who knows a thing or two about a thing or two to recommend something to him!

Mike Buksas
July 16th, 2005, 04:48 AM
kimes: You could try looking at some of the small gamelets on www.pygame.org which could incidently be slightly fun since they are, well, games!

Mike Buksas: Looking at sourceforge won't help. Looking through 4134 projects will not only be tedious, but how the hell is he to know when he reaches a suitable, small, well written python app? That's why he's asking here, to get somebody who knows a thing or two about a thing or two to recommend something to him!

I strongly beleive that when learning to program, finding a project which is personally interesting is important. It can be a grind at times, and having a personal interest in the goal can be a big motivator. Since I don't know what the questioner is interested in, how could I make a more specific reccomendation?

Your point about dealing with 4134 projects is well taken though. Searching by keywords which describe the subject instead of just scanning would help, and reading project descriptions should give an approximate idea of the complexity and scope. Of course, there's no way to guarantee the quality of the code.

Perhaps a better use of Sourceforge would be to get a feel for the interesting things that people are doing with the language and what it is capable of, instead of a specific project. To get your hands dirty, choosing a project near and dear to your own heart and diving in with a good book or two is probably the way to go. For that approach Dive into Python and the Python Cookbook mentioned earlier are my favorites.

Mike