PDA

View Full Version : Mark Shuttleworth & Kevin Carmony(Linspire CEO)

gabbman
July 8th, 2005, 07:40 PM
An interesting post in the Linspire forum:

I spent some time at Ubuntu's office in London two weeks ago. Thought I'd share this photo with the forum.

http://www.kevincarmony.com/Europe/images/cimg0437.jpg

Kevin Carmony (CEO Linspire), Mark Shuttleworth (CEO Canonical/Ubuntu), Jane Silber (COO Canonical), Tom Hoyt (Dir or European Sales Linspire).

Mark and I are trying to find ways to work more closely together for the betterment of Linux and open source. For example, how to get their Rosette project and our IRMA project more closely aligned and helping each other.

We view Ubuntu the way Red Hat view's Fedora...it's a wonderful open source "lab" where development can freely take place. Linspire can then add the necessary things required for distribution by the commercial channel (licensed codecs for mp3, real, quick time, flash, jave, etc., as well as polish, ease of use, support, sales team, etc.).

Ubuntu and Linspire compliment each other very well, and we're excited to have forged a new relationship and work together.

Kevin

Nice T-shirt Mark :)

sapo
July 8th, 2005, 07:53 PM
hehe very nice shirt.. but just blondes? Ubuntu users should date any pretty woman.... i dont care if a woman is blond, brunete, japanese, african.. etc :grin:

Btw.. he is the only that isnt dressed as a bussiness man... but thats what makes ubuntu different :grin:

RastaMahata
July 8th, 2005, 08:22 PM
nevermind...
nice pic

poofyhairguy
July 8th, 2005, 08:25 PM
A: Kevin doesn't look happy in the pic, but at least the write up makes some sense.

B: Mark looks really happy...and looks like I did before I recently cut my hair TO MAKE SOME MONEY. Maybe that was a bad idea now...

C. I can't wait to see wait to see what some gimper (that sounds bad) will do with this pic.

ubuntu_demon
July 8th, 2005, 08:28 PM
nice pic!

Just to be curious what were you doing there ? Do you work for Linspire ?

If Linspire takes from Ubuntu and gives back the it's a good thing they cooperate.

Things like cedega and crossoveroffice (or what's that name?) probably won't get in Ubuntu's repositories. I have no problems with that.

But it's nice if there's going to be an Ubuntu based distribution that offers that kind of stuff directly after the installation!

sas
July 8th, 2005, 08:31 PM
hehe very nice shirt.. but just blondes? Ubuntu users should date any pretty woman.... i dont care if a woman is blond, brunete, japanese, african.. etc :grin:

Btw.. he is the only that isnt dressed as a bussiness man... but thats what makes ubuntu different :grin:
hehe very nice shirt.. but just pretties? Ubuntu users should date any woman.... i dont care if a woman is pretty, plain or funny looking.. etc etc

poofyhairguy
July 8th, 2005, 08:35 PM
But it's nice if there's going to be an Ubuntu based distribution that offers that kind of stuff directly after the installation!

Hmmmm...make me think....

The biggest goal for Breezy is to set up a frame work for Ubuntu (launchpad) so its easier to base distros off of Ubuntu. I think Launchpad will be an app that they will charge for to allow businesses to do this.

Maybe, Linspire knows that Ubuntu is getting big in the Debian world (Linspire is based on Debian) so they might be thinking "if it gets really big, we will pay and use launchpad and make an Ubuntu with all the easy stuff added."

That would be nice. Then when people ask "do I have to do all this stuff to get mp3s/java/codecs to work" or "is there an easier way to install programs than synaptic" we will say (well, I will say) "yes but you have to pay!" and point then to Linspire.

sapo
July 8th, 2005, 08:48 PM
hehe very nice shirt.. but just pretties? Ubuntu users should date any woman.... i dont care if a woman is pretty, plain or funny looking.. etc etc

Any? :roll:

Its not a wise decision to click on this link.. but if you REALLY think that ubuntu users should date ANY woman... she is available.. :roll:

http://www.xgn.com.br/fr/img/4237b46d1adc1.jpg

Go ahead.. i wish you good luck :grin:

ubuntu_demon
July 8th, 2005, 08:49 PM
Hmmmm...make me think....

The biggest goal for Breezy is to set up a frame work for Ubuntu (launchpad) so its easier to base distros off of Ubuntu. I think Launchpad will be an app that they will charge for to allow businesses to do this.

launchpad is going to be a framework which(among other things) makes it easier to create tools to customize ?

Maybe, Linspire knows that Ubuntu is getting big in the Debian world (Linspire is based on Debian) so they might be thinking "if it gets really big, we will pay and use launchpad and make an Ubuntu with all the easy stuff added."

That would be nice. Then when people ask "do I have to do all this stuff to get mp3s/java/codecs to work" or "is there an easier way to install programs than synaptic" we will say (well, I will say) "yes but you have to pay!" and point then to Linspire.

If they do it right I will point those people who want to go the easy way to Linspire.

Kvark
July 8th, 2005, 09:14 PM
It's great to hear about cooperation between linux distros. :)

...while developers for other platforms do their best to make it harder for eachother to be compatible. :?

poptones
July 8th, 2005, 09:49 PM
I find this very interesting. I know I tried linspire and even joined their forums. I did not use it long because I found it really lacking in many aspects. I had a membership in the CNR and all that, I didn't stay with it long enough to even use the membership. The quality I found was not there.

Does this mean linspire will now be based on ubuntu? Does it mean they are doing away with the "run everything as root" silliness?

The main reason I use ubuntu is because it always has a well up to date gnome desktop. I really like the gnome desktop. does this mean Linspire is going to come with a default gnome desktop now, or that they may use kubuntu?

BTW, what do the purists in S Afrikka think of the bastardized form of "kubuntu?" Isn't this just one step toward complete dilution of its true meaning?

I had no idea Shuttleworth was such a hippie. Good on ya!

mtron
July 9th, 2005, 12:21 AM
When you compare the CEO's only, i feel now even more at home with ubuntu... :razz:

az
July 9th, 2005, 01:59 AM
Is AOL evil?

There was a wonderful interview on Lugradio a few episodes back, with Kevin Carmony. He explained that he wants people to use Linspire in the same way they use AOL. You pay for convenience. He also mentioned the the IRMA project was pouring all the translations they developed from their community back upstream.

This is very good.

If he sees the potential in using Canonical's ressources to do the same job, well then you have a winning relationship. In an even earlier interview with Mark Shuttleworth (on lugradio - lugradio.org) he touched on derivative distributions shipping with proprietary codecs and such (Lispire pay licence fees, so they ship with all of the codecs)

Business is good for free software.

TravisNewman
July 9th, 2005, 02:52 AM
Yeah, this is exciting. I hope to see some collaboration very soon. If linspire had an ubuntu base, it would be the best of both worlds for beginners, and then ubuntu could be for the more advanced users.

It seems that debian based distros are becoming more and more prevalent, and the rpm based distros are gradually sliding. I'm not saying that this is good or bad overall, some people swear by the rpm, but I'm excited.

poofyhairguy
July 9th, 2005, 05:50 AM
Does this mean linspire will now be based on ubuntu? Does it mean they are doing away with the "run everything as root" silliness?

Nope. It just means that Linspire no longer hates our guts. They used to be pretty touchy about Ubuntu.

rattaro
July 9th, 2005, 06:08 AM
Uhh, whose hand is on Mark's left shoulder? It sorta looks out of place. I hope it's not that evil creeping hand we hear so often about!

Kevin Carmony
July 9th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Hope Mark doesn't get mad at me for posting this pic. :) I promised him I wouldn't send it out in a Linspire Letter (http://linspire.com/linspireletter), but I thought our forum users would be interested in this. Hopefully your forum here finds it equally as interesting.

For those of you who haven't met Mark personally, I can tell you that he's a VERY bright guy and his passion and dedication to Linux and open source is quite evident. He's certainly a wonderful person to have helping this space.

Ubuntu continues to do great work, and Linspire wants to work with all Linux companies in any way possible to further its acceptance and adoption.

Linspire sponsors and contributes to many open source projects (http://linspire.com/opensource) and we give 100% of this work back to the community. So yes, your good work here helps us, and we hope our work with Nvu, GAIM, Firefox, OpenOffice, etc. helps you.

For the record, I've NEVER heard anyone at Linspire or any of our community say ANYTHING negative about Ubuntu (so not sure where the comment comes from that we "hate you.") If anything, I've heard nothing but positive comments.

Keep up the great work, and come visit our community anytime. Any of you will always be welcome to come, chat, share ideas, etc.

Kevin Carmony
CEO, Linspire

ubuntu_demon
July 9th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Hope Mark doesn't get mad at me for posting this pic. :) I promised him I wouldn't send it out in a Linspire Letter (http://linspire.com/linspireletter), but I thought our forum users would be interested in this. Hopefully your forum here finds it equally as interesting.

For those of you who haven't met Mark personally, I can tell you that he's a VERY bright guy and his passion and dedication to Linux and open source is quite evident. He's certainly a wonderful person to have helping this space.

Welcome to our forum :)

Ubuntu continues to do great work, and Linspire wants to work with all Linux companies in any way possible to further its acceptance and adoption.

Linspire sponsors and contributes to many open source projects (http://linspire.com/opensource) and we give 100% of this work back to the community. So yes, your good work here helps us, and we hope our work with Nvu, GAIM, Firefox, OpenOffice, etc. helps you.

Good

Will linspire be ubuntu based ?

For the record, I've NEVER heard anyone at Linspire or any of our community say ANYTHING negative about Ubuntu (so not sure where the comment comes from
that we "hate you.") If anything, I've heard nothing but positive comments.

Linspire hating ubuntu is new to me too.

Keep up the great work, and come visit our community anytime. Any of you will always be welcome to come, chat, share ideas, etc.

Kevin Carmony
CEO, Linspire

thnx :)

If Linspire becomes Ubuntu based I might start recommending it to people who think installing proprietary stuff Ubuntu is too much hassle

poptones
July 9th, 2005, 12:13 PM
I don't understand. I thought Michael whats-his-name was CEO of linspire? I still get regular emails from him and they have the linspire logo. What affiliation does he have with Linspire now?

ubuntu_demon
July 9th, 2005, 01:38 PM
I don't understand. I thought Michael whats-his-name was CEO of linspire? I still get regular emails from him and they have the linspire logo. What affiliation does he have with Linspire now?
micheal robertson is chairman

TravisNewman
July 9th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Wow, a star has visited out forums ;)

I've had some reservations about Linspire in the past, but I've always loved the ease of use aspect for new users to Linux. Once I looked past what I was hung up on and saw the bigger picture I realized why you were doing things the way you were.

So thank you Kevin for everything you've done for everyone here, whether they know about you or not.

fozza21
July 9th, 2005, 04:31 PM
In principal, I think that a cooperation between various distros has to be welcomed, since I think that there are already so many good projects out there and so many ideas alive but that the linux community can bunch power to challenge the big.

but there's a but: why shouldn't offer ubuntu a nifty, well-supported and up-to-date distro as well? I know there is a problem with the licensing of mp3, swf, real and java, but to be honest, which desktop-pc can nowaday run without these services?

None, definitely none. If Linux wants to escape from geeky island and conquer the continent, we have to get over this problems - but without giving up the principle of not asking for any fee...

And yet another point:
Women are still that underrepresentated within the linux community. Do we really want to change this to bring linux to another level of computing or do we want to stick to the old patriotic pathos?

TravisNewman
July 9th, 2005, 05:31 PM
fozza21-- under 3rd party projects here, there's a subforum for Ubuntu Women. We're trying to change the way people see women in the linux community, but initially in THIS community. We have a lot of women here-- more than in any other linux distro community I've seen-- but things still need to change.

Kvark
July 9th, 2005, 05:44 PM
but there's a but: why shouldn't offer ubuntu a nifty, well-supported and up-to-date distro as well? I know there is a problem with the licensing of mp3, swf, real and java, but to be honest, which desktop-pc can nowaday run without these services?

None, definitely none. If Linux wants to escape from geeky island and conquer the continent, we have to get over this problems - but without giving up the principle of not asking for any fee...

Ubuntu is a nifty, well-supported and up-to-date distro.

As for non-free things. Install them yourself, for most things it's just to mark a checkbox in synaptic, a piece of cake. But if that is too hard then you always got linspire.

Btw, windows definately does not come with everything out of the box, and downloading+installing stuff on windows is more work then marking a checkbox.
(Talking about after you install windows yourself, if dell does it for you then they might take care of some of the extra stuff while they're at it, i dunno)

sonny
July 9th, 2005, 06:58 PM
Ubuntu is a nifty, well-supported and up-to-date distro.

As for non-free things. Install them yourself, for most things it's just to mark a checkbox in synaptic, a piece of cake. But if that is too hard then you always got linspire.

Btw, windows definately does not come with everything out of the box, and downloading+installing stuff on windows is more work then marking a checkbox.
(Talking about after you install windows yourself, if dell does it for you then they might take care of some of the extra stuff while they're at it, i dunno)
I don't think the check-box in synaptics is the problem, I think the real roblem is the names. We certanly have to respect the name the author gave to his/her program, but some names are confusing for newcomers. Don't get me wrong, but why don't put ins synaptic: java plugin for web browser (or something like that) instead of jre-5.1-bla-bla no newbie would understand this. I know what are you going to say: "they have to read the description", well the truth is that people don't like reading descriptions, they like screenshots or easy-to-remember names, that tells them in a few words wat they do, perhaps a "mask" name would do, and a more precise description, short and exactly what newcomers want to hear, example:
Name: "Java Plugin for Web Browser" (instead of jre5-bla-bla-etc)
Description: "Web browser plugin required for some web content, such as games, databases, etc. (instead of etc, some more entries)"

Kevin Carmony
July 9th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Welcome to our forum

Thank you. :grin:

Will linspire be ubuntu based ?

We baseline from Debian and then, much like Ubuntu, add our special herbs and spices. We do, however, try to maintain stability with Debian's pool. In other words, CNR (click and run) users can safely pull from different CNR warehouses (stable, Insiders, "Thrillseekers," etc.) but we can also pull packages in directly from Debian without breaking our warehouses. This allows Linspire users to have the latest and greatest, but still have a nice volume of core packages.

We think it's a good thing to have a common core, and even though Debian doesn't move as quickly as some would like, we do think it makes for a good core baseline from which to expand beyond.

Michael is our Chairman and is involved with several different companies. You can read more about this here (http://michaelrobertson.com/archive.php?minute_id=175).

I've had some reservations about Linspire in the past, but I've always loved the ease of use aspect for new users to Linux. Once I looked past what I was hung up on and saw the bigger picture I realized why you were doing things the way you were.

Yes, Linspire has certainly been misunderstood at times. Because our target market is really MS Windows users (95% of the world!) who are new to Linux, we tend to have a layer of simplicity that more advanced Linux users don't need. Also, we have been so bloody busy these past few years, with our head buried down, working hard on our products and services, we didn't have a lot of time to communicate outside our own forums. Our users know us very well (like Ubuntu, we have a very active forum and community (http://linspire.com/community), including thousands of posts by myself in our forums. Now, however, that we think we've finally gotten the product at a pretty good place, we're doing a lot better job of communicating to non-Linspire users what we're all about.

So thank you Kevin for everything you've done for everyone here, whether they know about you or not.

Thanks for noticing! We do a lot for open source, but we're not ones to go around bragging about it, but sometimes it's good to let people know, so they don't misunderstand us. We contribute a lot of code, money, and perhaps most important, awareness about Linux to the 99% of the world who haven't tried it yet.

If Linux wants to escape from geeky island and conquer the continent, we have to get over this problems - but without giving up the principle of not asking for any fee...

Yes, Mark and I spoke about this as well. That's why we need choices. Ubuntu does great work and supports 100% the core belief of open source being 1) 100% open source and 2) free. Linspire, however, does license mp3, dvd, windows media, flash, java, quicktime, Bitstream fonts, etc. This gives users a choice. If they want 100% free and non-proprietary, they have Debian, Ubuntu, etc. If they don't mind paying a bit and including some proprietary bits (at least until these parts can be replaced by open source alternatives), then Linspire is there for them. Choice is a good thing! They key is to work together, so ALL choices get better.

Women are still that underrepresentated within the linux community. Do we really want to change this to bring linux to another level of computing or do we want to stick to the old patriotic pathos?

I'm proud to say that the head of Linspire's OS team is a woman, Theresa Brennan, and she's great! CNR is also headed up by a super bright woman, Sharon Holmes. We also have several top-notch female engineers on our team. The faces of Linspire. (http://linspire.com/employees) I agree, it's great to see a broader group of people embracing Linux!

Exactly! Ubuntu is great for those who have a bit of technical knowledge and can install the missing bits. Linspire is a good choice for those who want it all just there without having to install anything. (Unlike MS Windows, we pretty much include EVERYTHING. Supported file types out of the box with Linspire. (http://linspire.com/filetypes))

We certanly have to respect the name the author gave to his/her program, but some names are confusing for newcomers.

Yes, a lot of new terms certainly confuses new Linux users coming from MS Win land. GIMP, GNOME, KDE, Kopete, Mozilla, XINE, K3b, etc. make people think they have to learn a foreign language to use Linux. Linspire renames things to generic terms and then uses "Powered by" to give credit and let users know where the source of the project lives. For example, our IM client is called "Instant Messenger powered by GAIM" and "Internet Suite powered by Mozilla," and so on.

Thanks for the friendly welcome. Again, keep up the great work!

Kevin

TravisNewman
July 9th, 2005, 07:55 PM
I don't think the check-box in synaptics is the problem, I think the real roblem is the names. We certanly have to respect the name the author gave to his/her program, but some names are confusing for newcomers. Don't get me wrong, but why don't put ins synaptic: java plugin for web browser (or something like that) instead of jre-5.1-bla-bla no newbie would understand this. I know what are you going to say: "they have to read the description", well the truth is that people don't like reading descriptions, they like screenshots or easy-to-remember names, that tells them in a few words wat they do, perhaps a "mask" name would do, and a more precise description, short and exactly what newcomers want to hear, example:
Name: "Java Plugin for Web Browser" (instead of jre5-bla-bla-etc)
Description: "Web browser plugin required for some web content, such as games, databases, etc. (instead of etc, some more entries)"
A bit off topic, but I think this is one point that some new users get stuck on coming from Windows. In Windows, you have printer properties, sound properties, network places, media player, etc. In Linux, to do those same tasks, you have CUPS, ALSA, SAMBA/NFS, XMMS/Amarok/etc, respectively. It's understandable WHY these things aren't named "printer properties" etc, but it can be confusing. I wonder if there's anything in the works to try and unify it for the user more.

Kevin Carmony
July 9th, 2005, 08:17 PM
A bit off topic, but I think this is one point that some new users get stuck on coming from Windows. In Windows, you have printer properties, sound properties, network places, media player, etc. In Linux, to do those same tasks, you have CUPS, ALSA, SAMBA/NFS, XMMS/Amarok/etc, respectively. It's understandable WHY these things aren't named "printer properties" etc, but it can be confusing. I wonder if there's anything in the works to try and unify it for the user more.

This is how Linspire does it now, and we always give our patches back, but they're not usually accepted because many of the projects find our changes TOO "Windows like." We've gotten a very good build process in place that lets us normalize the core Linux with all our unique patches (over 200 to Moz/Firefox alone for example).

Perhaps in time more and more projects will see the value in this and start coming together. It's about finding that nice balance between being able to innovate, but still feeling familiar enough to the rest of the world that we don't scare them away. We have a lot of hard-core Linux users as well, using Linspire, so hopefully we're trying to hit that balance (power of Linux AND ease of use).

Kevin

TravisNewman
July 9th, 2005, 08:21 PM
That's awesome. I'd imagine it would be pretty hard to get overall adoption of something like that, but doing it in at least one distribution is great.

hqlinux
July 10th, 2005, 11:27 PM
As a long time Linspire user (since Oct. 2002) and Insider, I would like to take the opportunity to say that you all would feel welcome in the Linspire forums. We discuss most of the Linux distros out there, giving our personal reviews, and even advice on how to install the various flavors of Linux. Someone here in this thread said that we HATE Ubuntu. I have NEVER seen this expressed in our forums, EVER. Quite the contrary, actually. There have been several posts saying how good it is. You may think....well, he might have missed it. I say it's certainly possible, but I have over 6300 posts in the Linspire forums, so I don't usually miss much :wink: :)

As a matter of fact, I haven't personally tried Ubuntu. I prefer KDE, instead of Gnome. Just a personal preference...not trying to start any flame wars, here :smile: :smile: . Maybe I will try your KDE version soon. I have a question though. Is it true that root is locked out of your distros??? If so, what do you have to do....terminal....su ???

Harvey

PS How do you turn on the Smilies in the signature, or is this even possible here???

-deadcats
July 10th, 2005, 11:35 PM
I'm glad to see Kevin's posts here. And always very glad to see more intercooperation between distros! I got introduced to Linux with Linspire, presently run SuSE, am an active member of both forums, and I'm also a member of the Linspire Insiders program. I guess that qualifies me? ;)

When Kevin stated Linspire's target market is Windows users, he forgot to mention the strong, successful marketing drive Linspire has underway to get Linspire pre-installed on new computers via as many retail channels as possible. A drive that pretty-much mirrors Microsofts own earlier successful marketing of Windows. Chances are you can now walk into quite a few joe blow Bigbox Stores down in America and find a consumer-grade PC with Linspire pre-installed. (We have no bigbox stores in Juneau, Alaska, so I can't personally check that out, though.)

Though a lot of Linux-purists seem to scoff at this--"we don't care"--a lot of others view this as being a wonderful way to get more consumers aware of the Linux alternative. Though most mom-n-pop users may only want to read their email, browse the web, and catalogue recipes (how droll), they also want the computers they use to function. And Linspire is helping them make the transition in not quite so shell-shocking a manner as some of the less noob-oriented distros.

Hopefully this all bodes well for the rest of us Linux users--increased awareness leading to increased users, leading to more software and increased hardware compatibility. I guess time will tell.

Meanwhile, I'm downloading 5.04 and gonna give Ubuntu a run. I'm not at all familiar with the Gnome desktop, being used to KDE, but I'm looking forward to doing so. What a wonderful thing the Linux Community is, that different distros can be so alike, yet so different! :)

Your forums look well-partitipated in. I look forward to joining in that participation. :)

-dc

aysiu
July 11th, 2005, 12:31 AM
Chances are you can now walk into quite a few joe blow Bigbox Stores down in America and find a consumer-grade PC with Linspire pre-installed. (We have no bigbox stores in Juneau, Alaska, so I can't personally check that out, though.) Well, I haven't walked into a WalMart in a while, but at least online they're offering a bunch of Linspire-loaded PCs, including this notebook (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3595030). I have yet to see a Linux-loaded PC in Best Buy or CompUSA, but hopefully some time soon.

Linspire isn't my distro of choice, but I have tried it out, and if people don't mind paying for it, it is a wonderful introduction to Linux for the less technically inclined computer users out there.

az
July 11th, 2005, 02:32 AM
Mr Carmony, welcome.

I think it would be great to see you around in the Community Marketplace forums. I think a lot of Ubuntu users would benefit from the insight of someone who represents a successful open source venture.

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=38

Also, what does the release of Sarge mean for Linspire?

MetalMusicAddict
July 11th, 2005, 02:49 AM
Wow! This thread is a very nice read. Its so nice to see cooperation rather than bull$hit bickering.

Ive watched Linspire (Lindows:)) from v.2. Im not a big KDE fan but I really like what they do. Fastest install of any distro Ive tried through the years. Ide like to see them in more than just Wal-Mart though. I think I have a v.5 disk from a mag I got recently. Ill give it a look. :)

Do you guys have drivers for Broadcom Wireless cards?

Very nice to see this thread. :)

hqlinux
July 11th, 2005, 03:51 AM
Do you guys have drivers for Broadcom Wireless cards?

Very nice to see this thread. :)

That is a yes and no answer :-? :wink:

I have an HP ze5470 laptop with integrated Broadcom Wireless, and it works flawlessly with Linspire 5.0. However, there are various chipsets of the Broadcom wireless, and they don't work with Linspire, at all. Your best bet is to download the Live version of Linspire (it's free) and give it a whirl and see for yourself. This is from a post from our Community Liaison Kendall:

What is Linspire?

Linspire is a full-featured operating system like Microsoft Windows XP or Apple Mac OSX. Linspire offers you the power, stability and cost-savings of Linux with the ease of a windows environment. In addition, Linspire features exclusive CNR (click and run) technology that makes installing software on Linspire fast and easy -- simply find the software you want in the easy-to-use CNR (click and run) Warehouse, then click and run it!

You can watch a 5-minute Flash Demo to quickly learn more about Linspire and CNR (click and run).

What is LinspireLive?

The LinspireLive! CD allows anyone to run the new and exciting Linspire Operating System from any computer without installing anything. Simply pop the CD in your computer's CD tray and turn on the computer. LinspireLive! will then load and run, right from the CD! This is the ideal way for Microsoft Windows users to see what all the excitement is about with Linux and Linspire without removing or effecting your existing operating system in any way.

LinspireLive! does nearly everything the full install version of Linspire does (such as automatically identifying your hardware and peripherals, surfing the Internet, sending and receiving email, and instant messaging with friends) but, it does not install anything to your hard drive. LinspireLive! even includes a complete, Microsoft-compatible Office Suite for word processing, spreadsheets, and presentations! LinspireLive! is the safe and easy way to test the compatibility of any computer before installing Linux or the full version of Linspire to your hard drive. When you are done testing Linspire, you simply restart your computer, eject the CD, and your system is back to the way it was before.

System Requirements:

* PC with 800 MHz or higher processor (1+ Ghz recommended)
* 256 MB of RAM or higher
* Super VGA (1024 x 768) or higher resolution video card and monitor (3-D graphics accelerator card for some games, screen savers, etc.)
* CD-ROM drive
* Linspire compatible Network card or modem (a broadband Cable or DSL connection is highly recommended!)

Note: Linspire will not run on Apple Mac computers!

************************************************** **********************************************
To get your free LinspireLive! CD follow these easy steps:
************************************************** **********************************************
1. You must first install a BitTorrent peer-to-peer (P2P) program. You can find information and help doing this here: http://www.linspire.com/bittorrenthelp

2. After you have a BitTorrent program installed you may have to restart your browser and/or computer. Once your BitTorrent program is installed, you can click this link to begin downloading the LinspireLive! CD:

http://tracker.linspire.com/torrents/linspire_live_5.0.69.torrent

3. After you have downloaded the .iso file to your hard drive you can use a CD burning program to burn a copy of the disk image to a blank CD-R disk. You can find instructions for how to do that here: http://www.linspire.com/installhelp

4. When you are finished burning the CD, you simply leave the disk in your CD-ROM drive and reboot your system. (Note: you may have to change the "boot order" of your devices so that your computer boots from the CD-ROM drive first! For instructions on how to modify your BIOS Setup options please refer to your computer's motherboard manual or contact the manufacturer.)

If you need any assistance please contact our Support department:
http://support.linspire.com

Which can be found here:

Linspire Live (http://forum.linspire.com/viewtopic.php?t=289977&sid=3d178f6fe4977e327c444178a88ffede)

Harvey

az
July 11th, 2005, 04:21 AM
Harvey,

Everything after the "What is linspire" line is a bit inappropriate. We have a lof of volume here and many people probably will not appreciate it. Please refrain. Thanks!

To be clear, I have nothing against this topic, just avoid the million lines of spam...

aysiu
July 11th, 2005, 05:01 AM
I agree. A simple link would have been enough.

hqlinux
July 11th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Harvey,

Everything after the "What is linspire" line is a bit inappropriate. We have a lof of volume here and many people probably will not appreciate it. Please refrain. Thanks!

To be clear, I have nothing against this topic, just avoid the million lines of spam...

Sorry....

Just trying to be thorough in my reply to a question, that's all. I'm new to your forums, so I didn't know that you didn't want complete replies. I will post links the next time something comes up that I can answer.

Personally, I prefer to read the info in the post....not click on a link to a different site. I tried to do both. One man's spam is another man's info....so to speak :smile: :smile:

Harvey

az
July 11th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Your answer was complete before the advertisement. And that is great. Anyway, welcome to the Ubuntu forums!

So, to get back to the topic, what does Linspire plan to do to stay ahead of the game in keeping its customers, when Ubuntu and other distributions are making inroads to offer the kind of convenience that Linspire currently offers?

Also, will Linspire ever ship with Gnome as the default environment?

hqlinux
July 11th, 2005, 03:20 PM
what does Linspire plan to do to stay ahead of the game in keeping its customers, when Ubuntu and other distributions are making inroads to offer the kind of convenience that Linspire currently offers?

That is a question that only Kevin could reply to. I am just a user of Linspire. I am in no way an employee of them.

Also, will Linspire ever ship with Gnome as the default environment?

Again, another question that only Kevin could answer. Personally.....I hope not. I prefer KDE, myself. That's not to say that there is anything wrong with Gnome.....just a personal preference and choice.

Anyway, welcome to the Ubuntu forums!

Thank you very much. I have been poking around your fine set of forums here, and I think that you have a WINNER on your hands....REALLY. Nice bunch of folks here. Kinda like the Linspire forums.....people helping people....once again, thanks for the welcome.

Harvey

MetalMusicAddict
July 11th, 2005, 10:10 PM
Sorry....

Just trying to be thorough in my reply to a question, that's all. I'm new to your forums, so I didn't know that you didn't want complete replies. I will post links the next time something comes up that I can answer.

Personally, I prefer to read the info in the post....not click on a link to a different site. I tried to do both. One man's spam is another man's info....so to speak :smile: :smile:

Harvey
I took it as more of a gentle advertisment. I think most people here knew about Linspire. ;) No harm no foul.

Have you tried Kubuntu (http://www.kubuntu.org/)? Like Ubuntu but with KDE. :)

On another note, hqlinux why did you choose Linspire?

hqlinux
July 12th, 2005, 01:12 AM
I took it as more of a gentle advertisment. I think most people here knew about Linspire. ;) No harm no foul.

Have you tried Kubuntu (http://www.kubuntu.org/)? Like Ubuntu but with KDE. :)

On another note, hqlinux why did you choose Linspire?

Thanks for not flaming me on this one. I in NO WAY was trying to advertise Linspire. I was trying to answer a question posed to me about the Broadcom wireless compatibility with Linspire. I was trying to give the poster the info they needed to download the LiveCd of Linspire for free so they could see for themselves whether or not it would work for them. There are those of us at Linspire who have Broadcom chipsets that DON'T work with Linspire as well. I figured if the poster could try something for free, they wouldn't be out much....except a little time, download bandwidth, and a cd.... :-)

Why I chose Linspire??? Ease of use, primarily.It just plain works.One click installs, no dependency or missing library issues, and of course, GREAT multimedia capabilities are other reasons as well. Also, at the time, (2002), Lindows as it was known then, was trying to be able to run MS apps natively in the OS. I thought....how cool....the $1,000's of dollars worth of Windows software that I had purchased wouldn't go to waste....However, Lindows abandoned that idea fairly early on (the best move, IMO), and concentrated on making Linux easy for the average guy. While I am considered a "guru" on the Windows platform, I was a basic noob to Linux. At the time, I had dabbled with Mandrake 7.0 I believe it was, and I was also checking out Red Hat. Then I read an article about a Linux that would run Windows apps, and the rest is history. I also have a subscription to SimplyMepis, I have bought the last three versions of SuSE, and I REALLY like Kanotix. I have downloaded Kubuntu, and I plan on giving it a test run real soon.

Harvey

Stormy Eyes
March 2nd, 2006, 07:17 PM

Let's take it further: should all Ubuntu users be bisexual, too? :twisted:

Bragador
March 2nd, 2006, 07:24 PM
Let's take it further: should all Ubuntu users be bisexual, too? :twisted:

Why limit yourself when you can have have fun with all the living creatures :twisted:

GeneralZod
March 2nd, 2006, 09:45 PM
Why limit yourself when you can have have fun with all the living creatures :twisted:

Why restrict yourself to the living?:twisted:

Ew - I think we should stop this, right here ;)

Bragador
March 2nd, 2006, 09:49 PM

LOL

I laughed so much lol

You just made my day.

ice60
March 3rd, 2006, 03:31 AM
at first i thought the first post said the picture was taken in London last week - not shorts and T-shirt weather :shock: but that's probably not the case :D

Iandefor
March 3rd, 2006, 03:32 AM

Ew - I think we should stop this, right here ;) But I must take it one more step! Why restrict yourself to the organic?

xequence
March 3rd, 2006, 03:48 AM

Dude, that was awesomely funny =D

Arktis
March 3rd, 2006, 06:03 AM
Hey guys. I know Shuttleworth too!

http://fsphost.com/ubuntu/MSMTJ.jpg
Left to right: Me, Shuttleworth, Mother Theresa, Jesus

drizek
March 3rd, 2006, 06:39 AM

why did you gimp jesus hand off of shuttlworths shoulder? now it looks like hes grabbing mother theresas ***.

Bandit
March 3rd, 2006, 06:45 AM

LMAO, thats just damn funny...
Lets hope with dont start any more protest with these pics :D

byen
March 3rd, 2006, 06:46 AM
I cant believe you guys did that!! LMAO... I doubt this will last for more than a few minutes!

Bandit
March 3rd, 2006, 06:48 AM
I cant believe you guys did that!! LMAO... I doubt this will last for more than a few minutes!
Lets all savor the momment then :D

byen
March 3rd, 2006, 06:52 AM
yeah I know dude...someone will get offended and this thread will be booted! But to be honest...Im shocked and cant help but wonder how Arktis came up with that selection! LMAO...to the Fullest!

Zeroangel
March 3rd, 2006, 07:54 AM
We view Ubuntu the way Red Hat view's Fedora...it's a wonderful open source "lab" where development can freely take place. Linspire can then add the necessary things required for distribution by the commercial channel (licensed codecs for mp3, real, quick time, flash, jave, etc., as well as polish, ease of use, support, sales team, etc.).

Am I the only one who sees something wrong here? Much of that functionality is available via Automatix and the unofficial repositories.

drizek
March 3rd, 2006, 08:49 AM
but it is illegal, at least in the USA

benplaut
March 3rd, 2006, 09:42 AM
whoa... MAJOR bump

GeneralZod
March 3rd, 2006, 09:45 AM
whoa... MAJOR bump

M-m-m-m-monnnsteeerr buuummp

Jucato
March 3rd, 2006, 10:11 AM
Ok... I'd have to say that it's a bit weird seeing a thread like this resurrected...
But given the presence that Kevin Carmony is gaining in these forums right now, it's also a bit timely.

I wonder if they're still close friends (after the DLS issue? :D) Ok... I'm stopping right here. :D

Arktis
March 3rd, 2006, 11:43 AM
You mean the Desktop Linux Summit?

FoxLogic
March 3rd, 2006, 11:49 AM
M-m-m-m-monnnsteeerr buuummp

You mean monster dump?

Ever take a crap so big your pants fit better?

anyways, back on topic.

So whats with the desktop summit? What is the purpose of it?