PDA

View Full Version : Help a Java noob - looking for a decent IDE.

Fireblend
June 15th, 2007, 05:26 AM
Hello. I'm currently studying Computer Science and I'm gonna be programming Java next semester, so I was wondering what was a good IDE to use. I checked Kate, but I can't find a compile button if there's supposed to be one :p Anyone know of any good Java on Kate tutorials or would care to recommend me some alternative light IDE? Thanks in advance.

slavik
June 15th, 2007, 05:29 AM
eclipse

Fireblend
June 15th, 2007, 05:51 AM
Yeah, I did a quick search and it's apparent that Eclipse is among the best options. However, I'm afraid that we're not going to be allowed to use it for the course for whatever reason (were not being allowed to use netbeans so I guess we won't be using Eclipse either). Anything lighter and more Textpad-like?

Yoooder
June 15th, 2007, 06:09 AM
vim and emacs (two of the main console-editors for *nix) support Java integration. See:

http://jdee.sunsite.dk/
http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=1213

As far a graphical text editors (and other command-line editors for that matter)--just search for stuff like
graphical java editor +"syntax highlighting" +linux

You really don't have to have an IDE for Java, and if your prof is disallowing Netbeans you should probably ask specifically where s/he draws the line. Personally I can understand they want you to write your own code and not use snippets, but there's nothing like a decent IDE to assist in finding/fixing small mistakes that can easily be overlooked.

zoobave
June 15th, 2007, 08:14 AM
try NetBeans, i think this will be a better option for you.

samjh
June 15th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Yeah, I did a quick search and it's apparent that Eclipse is among the best options. However, I'm afraid that we're not going to be allowed to use it for the course for whatever reason (were not being allowed to use netbeans so I guess we won't be using Eclipse either). Anything lighter and more Textpad-like?

If you're wanting a textpad-like editor with compile feature, look no further than: Geany.

It's in the repositories.

kknd
June 15th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Hello. I'm currently studying Computer Science and I'm gonna be programming Java next semester, so I was wondering what was a good IDE to use. I checked Kate, but I can't find a compile button if there's supposed to be one :p Anyone know of any good Java on Kate tutorials or would care to recommend me some alternative light IDE? Thanks in advance.

Hello, try www.netbeans.org, a open-source IDE now maintained by Sun itself!

nymphaeles
June 15th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Eclipse, NetBean, BlueJ. If you're a student, BlueJ is designed specifically for teaching which may help. Net Bean is overkilled.

Note360
June 15th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Since you cant use Netbeans. I would say try Vim, Scribes, Emacs, and Geany. Scribes is just a text editor really, but i love it.

slavik
June 15th, 2007, 09:42 PM
second vote for geany, if I am working on a script/single C/C++ file, I use it (since Anjuta 2.x doesn't support single files anymore :()

Majorix
June 15th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Why not try gedit?

bvanpelt
June 16th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Its nonsense that you can't use Eclipse. Its an outstanding package. I would use it, but tell teach I wasn't.

Why would they say not to use a tool that's widely used in the real world. Oh - I get it now...

Iokua
June 16th, 2007, 02:50 AM
Eclipse is great but it's a little heavy for learning. In other words, if you're designing a massive program with hundreds of classes, Eclipse is the only way to go. But if you're learning, I highly recommend Geany. I've been using both Eclipse and Geany for a while now and Geany is the best lightweight IDE I've ever used, both on Windows and Linux.