PDA

View Full Version : Too many niggles?

diesel1
June 15th, 2007, 03:33 AM
Hi all,

I am a long time GNU/Linux user and generally have been happy with the OS.

I thought that X/K/Ed/Ubuntu was going to be the end of searching for the perfect distribution but just as Mandrake once lead the race for usability/compatibility and then became a nightmare of unstable releases so the Ubuntu family seems to become more and more fragmented in its state of reliability. Now I cannot find a happy balance between stability (Dapper is ultra stable), applications (Edgy/Feisty) and hardware compatibility (Feisty wifi). Not to mention the mix of 64/32 installs available, each with their own setup procedures for proprietary/nonfree(libre) packages(Kilz, I know there is no practical difference for 64bits).

Do the Ubuntu developers need more time between releases or should there be more testing of versions of the OS before letting the general public use it?

I would like to see Ubuntu become a lot more usable from the release than at present, I have had many an embarrassing moment when showing Ubuntu to Windows users, when the install trips up or the new installation doesn't work with x,y or z hardware that is listed as working(but on further reading needs extra configuration).

There are many users asking for help that already is covered in the forums but also questions about genuine issues that seem to me should have been dealt with before release of the software.

I love the stability of Dapper64 but would like the features available in Feisty as well as the stability.

Please don't take this as moaning, I just don't want to see Ubuntu gain a reputation for image over stability/usability.

Diesel1.

starcraft.man
June 15th, 2007, 03:40 AM
Ummm, I haven't seen any stability issues with Feisty now that its been patched some after its release. In fact, I haven't crashed in at least two weeks and I've been using Beryl full time too boot with other things... I don't know what kinda issues you were having but they don't exist for me and many other users who find it stable...

diesel1
June 15th, 2007, 03:47 AM
I have to admit my latest install of Feisty i386 seems to be behaving very well after updating, I would like to see some of the annoying networking issues dealt with, acx1xx issues for example and network manager hassles(not saving certain details when using livecd) etc. sorted.

Diesel1.

FuturePilot
June 15th, 2007, 03:51 AM
Feisty keeps freezing on my laptop and I'm not the only one
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=412125
:(

BLTicklemonster
June 15th, 2007, 03:58 AM
You can't say niggles in here, buddy! The right word to use is Negloes!!!!

My God, in a Linux forum of all places... and I thought Lacism was dead.

;)

diesel1
June 15th, 2007, 04:22 AM
You can't say niggles in here, buddy! The right word to use is Negloes!!!!

My God, in a Linux forum of all places... and I thought Lacism was dead.

;)

Whoa! I never new that connotation of the word!

I have renamed this thread, wow, just think of the outrage I have caused.

Diesel1.

I hope the thread will be renamed by a mod in the forum listing. (please?)