PDA

View Full Version : Today is a great day:

ThinkBuntu
June 15th, 2007, 03:27 AM
For the first time in over six months (and since I adopted Linux as my preferred desktop) there's an open network strong enough that I can use it inside my apartment. And it's jussst strong enough that I can get it on my ThinkPad too! My linux experience would've been 10x better to this point if I had a home connection: no smuggling the ethernet cable into my laptop while at the office; no coffee-shop upgrades! Of course, I've been too cheap to buy my own internet. Hard to justify when you sit in front of a computer that's connected 8 hours per day.

machoo02
June 15th, 2007, 04:04 AM
Congratulations....happy pilfering! :)

DoctorMO
June 15th, 2007, 05:03 AM
We're going to have to set up a mesh here, far too many networks are visible and any one of us gets about 2mbs max out of wifi.

ThinkBuntu
June 15th, 2007, 05:13 AM
Unfortunately, this limits my distro choice significantly to those that can exploit the connection. PCLOS couldn't grab it, nor could my old Arch install with madwifi. I'm typing this from Ubuntu Feisty, and rapidly downloading Xubuntu Feisty to give 'er a go. Other options would be Mint and probably openSuSE, but I want to bootstrap my system over this wireless, which isn't possible since openSuSE doesn't come with the necessary driver. I know Sabayon would work also, since they have great wireless support, but that's too much of a hassle for me, what with upgrading hell and forever compile times. Maybe my next post will be from Xubuntu... :^)

RAV TUX
June 15th, 2007, 05:17 AM
Awesome, ;)

Where i live the whole downtown area has free wifi....

but I stay connected via verizon dsl @ home

ThinkBuntu
June 15th, 2007, 05:20 AM
Awesome, ;)

Where i live the whole downtown area has free wifi....

but I stay connected via verizon dsl @ home
Arlington's supposed to, but in Courthouse and Clarendon it's a pitifully weak signal with low, low bandwidth. I recall when I bought this ThinkPad in SS the seller demoed the wireless in the downtown Panera. By the way, I haven't been around your city/town all that much, but I love the vibe at Colesville and Georgia. Very urban.