PDA

View Full Version : ReactOS and Windows Programs

ilikenwf
June 15th, 2007, 02:15 AM
We all know how difficult ******* programs can be when setting up Wine. ReactOS has been using Qemu code and can run the majority of such apps. My question is why nobody has tried to use some of the ReactOS source to make Linux have the native ability to run ******* programs. I love opensource, but there are just some things that aren't equaled, and some that aren't even rivaled by opensource.

jrusso2
June 15th, 2007, 02:25 AM
I have not heard about React OS using a lot of QEMU code? I know they use a lot of WINE code. And they have their own Kernel. I have played with it a bit and it really does not run even as many applications as WINE does.

ilikenwf
June 15th, 2007, 02:27 AM
I thought I read somewhere that they used Qemu code...perhaps I was mistaken...Anyway, I wish we could get Wine to work with everything...

angryfirelord
June 15th, 2007, 02:29 AM
ReactOS was created by the wine team. It's a little "experiment" they're doing, but obviously it'll be using older wine code.

Anyway, I wish we could get Wine to work with everything...
It's getting there. Once wine reaches version 1, the majority of Windows XP apps down should be compatible with it.

ilikenwf
June 15th, 2007, 02:33 AM
I am just waiting for Apple to hopefully listen and give us iTunes...just because it would be all in one for the iPod, and my library...

There is a petition with over 9000 sigs here:
http://www.petitiononline.com/itmslin/petition.html

starcraft.man
June 15th, 2007, 03:01 AM
I am just waiting for Apple to hopefully listen and give us iTunes...just because it would be all in one for the iPod, and my library...

There is a petition with over 9000 sigs here:
http://www.petitiononline.com/itmslin/petition.html

LOL, sorry... I hate to burst your bubble but I don't think Apple cares one lick. They have 22 million active desktops (i.e. Mac computers being used, that was their latest statistic) compared to that 9000, its well enormous. And whats their incentive to port iTunes to Linux? The share is small, and their likely to see no rise in iPod sales at all... In the end, why give into Linux when they can hold out and when you (or other users, different tolerances) get frustrated enough (maybe) they get you to buy a Mac and give them more money. Then they've got you and took your money.

Anyway, back on topic... I just use Virtual Box and XP for my complete Windows testing/program running environment, I think its a plenty good solution and with my new computer it'll probably run full speed.

angryfirelord
June 15th, 2007, 02:52 PM
For iTunes, your best bet would be to use the Windows version under wine. Personally, I think AmaroK is better than iTunes. :p

DeadSuperHero
June 15th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Songbird also works rather well with both the Ipod and Itunes music.

FuturePilot
June 15th, 2007, 03:07 PM
I wouldn't want iTunes anyway. It's such a resource hog.

ilikenwf
June 15th, 2007, 07:42 PM
I didn't know about Songbird. WOW! I love it! I really appreciate the fact it is built on the Mozilla engine, too! Screw iTunes!

DeadSuperHero
June 15th, 2007, 07:58 PM
I didn't know about Songbird. WOW! I love it! I really appreciate the fact it is built on the Mozilla engine, too! Screw iTunes!

You're welcome, mate.

ilikenwf
June 15th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Hehe..I meant "Thank You" BTW. Had been looking for an all-in-one...

forrestcupp
June 15th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Songbird and AmaroK don't allow you to buy music from their online store.

ilikenwf
June 15th, 2007, 09:37 PM
That isn't a problem, I am allergic to DRM. I prefer(ed) allofmp3, but I don't know any workarounds for the USA at the moment.

smoker
June 15th, 2007, 10:34 PM
We all know how difficult ******* programs can be when setting up Wine. ReactOS has been using Qemu code and can run the majority of such apps. My question is why nobody has tried to use some of the ReactOS source to make Linux have the native ability to run ******* programs. I love opensource, but there are just some things that aren't equaled, and some that aren't even rivaled by opensource.

reactos is an operating system in it's own right:

ReactOS aims to achieve complete binary compatibility with both applications and device drivers meant for NT and XP operating systems, by using a similar architecture and providing a complete and equivalent public interface.
http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html

according to their home page it is 98.8% complete, though i am not sure how they measure this! i may try it in virtualbox when it gets to 100%:D
IGNORE 98.8% complete - that is apparently for an audit, i apologise!

Skeith
June 15th, 2007, 10:39 PM
reactos is an operating system in it's own right:

http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html

according to their home page it is 98.8% complete, though i am not sure how they measure this! i may try it in virtualbox when it gets to 100%:D

That counter is their code check, they were accused of dirty deeds in getting the source code for parts of ReactOS. So the project was halted and all the code checked to see if it came from illegal sources.

smoker
June 15th, 2007, 10:45 PM
That counter is their code check, they were accused of dirty deeds in getting the source code for parts of ReactOS. So the project was halted and all the code checked to see if it came from illegal sources.

yeah, sorry, noticed that after i posted, and have edited post to hopefully avoid confusion, anyway, thanks for correcting my error.

forrestcupp
June 16th, 2007, 01:58 AM
That isn't a problem, I am allergic to DRM. I prefer(ed) allofmp3, but I don't know any workarounds for the USA at the moment.

I don't like DRM either, but iTunes has a whole line of DRM-free music that we can't get.