PDA

View Full Version : buying/subscribing to Ubuntu CD's?

supenguin
July 8th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Apologies if this is a stupid question, but here goes... Is there any way or any plans to make a way to buy Ubuntu CD's? Yeah, yeah, I know I can use the Shipit program to get them for free, but I don't want to wait months after a new version is released to get it. I like having up to date software, and I prefer "official" CD's over a burned ISO scribbled on with sharpie markers.

I really like how Slackware's subscription system worked. Every new version, you'd get it a few days after release.

sas
July 8th, 2005, 08:32 PM
I'd probably pay a (small) fee for this too, I've still not got my hoary cds and I put them in shipit just before the release date.....Probably £5 + postage.

poofyhairguy
July 8th, 2005, 08:38 PM
Its not official, but this is what I point people to:

http://www.linuxcd.org/view_distro.php?lst=1&id_cate=22&id_distro=196

Can even buy the dvds there (great for dial up).

sas
July 8th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Are they the packaged releases like shipit sends out though?

supenguin
July 8th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Its not official, but this is what I point people to:

http://www.linuxcd.org/view_distro.php?lst=1&id_cate=22&id_distro=196

Can even buy the dvds there (great for dial up).

This looks pretty good. What do the DVD's contain that the CD's don't?

eBopBob
July 9th, 2005, 01:15 PM
If you cannot wait for ShipIt, or it seems as if it's taking so long that it's never going to come, you can find many places on the Internet where you can purchase CDs from. You shouldn't need to pay more than $2.50 or about that for the CD, but then of course there is shipping which depends on your area.

http://www.uselinux.co.uk/ - This is a very good place, and I use them for all of my needs. Being on a 56k modem it's very difficult to download distributions, and to download updates. They're well priced, shipping is well priced as well, and very quick delivery.

Then of course you've others such as LinuxCD and OSDisc; both are also good and well known places.

UbuWu
July 9th, 2005, 01:18 PM
what I would pay for would be a dvd version of Ubuntu with all the multimedia stuff (codecs for mp3/dvd/movies, java, flash) installed.

eBopBob
July 9th, 2005, 09:07 PM
what I would pay for would be a dvd version of Ubuntu with all the multimedia stuff (codecs for mp3/dvd/movies, java, flash) installed.
I think a lot of people would... I even would... although I'm highly sceptical as to whether it will ever happen. I remember reading some website about spreading Ubuntu which talked about how only open source software will do, and blah blah blah and a whole load of other rubbish - without doubt, I quickly closed it.

I remember reading a topic quite some time ago, in fact, a long time ago, about some people who wanted the possibility to purchase Ubuntu CDs and also get Ubuntu with propriety software included… two main issues raised were how quite a lot were opposed to the idea of propriety being included, and also the other issue of problems due to licensing, etc.

tdjokic
July 9th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Postage is bigest problem. Everybody can buy CD's at local reseller for lower price. If not, than you are in big truble. It is same for you if you pay big postage from remote reseller or Ubuntu to your house. ShipIt has other rules about costs.

BWF89
July 9th, 2005, 09:59 PM
This guy I play online gaming with had dial up and wanted to put Linux on one of his old computers. So I covered one of my x86 Ubuntu Warty cd packages from Shipit, made a custom envolope out of 1 piece of computer paper, taped it, stamped it, and ran it down the the public mailbox. Only cost me 0.37 cents.