PDA

View Full Version : why opera is betta

silent1643
June 14th, 2007, 04:37 PM
For me i love the Opera browser.. and when compared to firefox i can't see using the internet without it.

Firefox always seems to load slower than Opera on start up.

Some java script crashes FireFox, for example if you embed any sound (on mouse over for example) using java script the whole browser just closes down.

After i installed some basic extension in FireFox - every little image and icon like you would find on ebay or a forum loads increadabliy slow - even after i remove all the extension and reinstall firefox!

The general feel of opera's website and support forums are much more appealing and their users are alot more friendly.

Opera's wand tool & speed dail are the best features i have found in an internet browser in awhile. I love the wand feature, it keeps all my passwords and stores them and doesn't allow access unless you have the master password. Perfect. The speed dial is awesome and saves my wife and kids the time of typing the website url in every time they want to go somewhere.

Finally the only thing i can complain about opera is that some websites are not fit for opera browsing. Example would be ebay when trying to sell something, the editor doesn't allow you to cut and paste html code in your ad if you are in Opera, but in firefox it works fine.

blah blah blah
June 14th, 2007, 04:43 PM
umm.....okay

silent1643
June 14th, 2007, 04:46 PM
umm.....okay

thats right ;)

blah blah blah
June 14th, 2007, 04:50 PM
thats right ;)

:-s

ThinkBuntu
June 14th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Aren't you a strange fig...

Support forums aren't usually what attract me to a browser. A good browser should never need support in the way of forums.

blah blah blah
June 14th, 2007, 05:00 PM

Support forums aren't usually what attract me to a browser. A good browser should never need support in the way of forums.

...cuase da cool browsers are so cool dat one day u wake up & u r like 'I'm a gona dl dis browser'.

silent1643
June 14th, 2007, 05:09 PM

it didn't attract me to it, i was just saying they were better than mozilla's. ;)

and figs are good, yum yum thanks

xtang
June 14th, 2007, 05:11 PM
lol is this a troll?

blah blah blah
June 14th, 2007, 05:15 PM
and figs are good, yum yum thanks

You have a point there, that was quite the compliment. Figs are delicious.

ThinkBuntu
June 14th, 2007, 05:45 PM
You have a point there, that was quite the compliment. Figs are delicious.
But I've heard yum is an awful package manager...

DalekClock
June 14th, 2007, 05:47 PM
I would be more than willing to switch to Opera if:
I could choose my own mail client to send emails.
Google would integrate their services with it.
The Bittorrent client would download large ISOs that the GNOME one won't.

FuturePilot
June 14th, 2007, 05:49 PM
But I've heard yum is an awful package manager...

This thread lol.

Yum is bad. It's the 2nd slowest thing next to Portage, but Portage has a good excuse for being slow since it's compiling everything from source, so that's understandable. Yum is just sssssllllloooooowwww.

bailout
June 14th, 2007, 06:06 PM

Does the same argument apply to OSs? ;)

jgrabham
June 14th, 2007, 06:10 PM
why opera is betta

Worst spelling evva (yes that was meant to be a joke).

ThinkBuntu
June 14th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Does the same argument apply to OSs? ;)
Eh...don't ask a Linux user that.

silent1643
June 14th, 2007, 07:14 PM
hmm.. im getting lost in my own thread..

hey i ment to spell better -> betta

its like butta

or bisket

:D

pjalegria
June 14th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Opera is very ugly...

silent1643
June 14th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Opera is very ugly...

i think the default theme for opera compared to firefox is way betta, thats right betta

use a name
June 14th, 2007, 07:39 PM
For me i love the Opera browser.. and when compared to firefox i can't see using the internet without it.

Firefox always seems to load slower than Opera on start up.

Some java script crashes FireFox, for example if you embed any sound (on mouse over for example) using java script the whole browser just closes down.

After i installed some basic extension in FireFox - every little image and icon like you would find on ebay or a forum loads increadabliy slow - even after i remove all the extension and reinstall firefox!

The general feel of opera's website and support forums are much more appealing and their users are alot more friendly.

Opera's wand tool & speed dail are the best features i have found in an internet browser in awhile. I love the wand feature, it keeps all my passwords and stores them and doesn't allow access unless you have the master password. Perfect. The speed dial is awesome and saves my wife and kids the time of typing the website url in every time they want to go somewhere.

Finally the only thing i can complain about opera is that some websites are not fit for opera browsing. Example would be ebay when trying to sell something, the editor doesn't allow you to cut and paste html code in your ad if you are in Opera, but in firefox it works fine.
So, that's why opera is beta. Now I see.

starcraft.man
June 14th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Uh, forgive me but wow I don't see any point to this thread at all. Good for you for using Opera, I use Firefox cuz 1) It's FLOSS 2) Best theme for me is NoiaX (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/72) and 3) It has the best extension/customization base I've seen.

I don't understand why anyone would need a support forum for a browser so much... if at all,

FuturePilot
June 14th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Anyone know how to get rid of the ugly gray menus in Opera? They stand out like a sore thumb against a beautiful theme.

EdThaSlayer
June 14th, 2007, 09:27 PM
I love firefox and its awesomeness. Opera isn't betta, its worse, it just doesn't "feel" right for me. Well, its good to hear that you like it, for with opensource/free world, you have choice! :P

crimesaucer
June 14th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Opera is very ugly...

Default Opera may look better (betta) than default Firefox when using the default Human gtk-2.0 theme...but once you change your gtk-2.0, your default Firefox will change with it, and if you have a nice gtk-2.0, then you can have a much better looking Firefox theme than any Opera theme available.

But with Opera, it doesn't use gtk-2.0 themes, or your system's colors. You can only use their Opera themes that aren't that nice (way too much plastic), and the custom color choices suck. There are a few themes that are nice and simple, but they still look so boring with all of the gray menus.

Plus, widgets suck compared to extensions, java and flash are a hassle for a beginner, so is the embedded media compared to the media player plug-in Firefox.

The tool bar and tab system are worse than Firefox, and most web pages don't write their code to look good in Opera...plus to get the simple things that make Firefox nice, like Google thumbnails...you have to find a userscript and sometimes those don't work properly as stated in their forum...and then even the automated Opera updating didn't work for me so I just removed it and never looked back.

Yeah...Opera was fast...but after I have done every optimized tweak available in about:config, I find Firefox just as fast.

Plus in Firefox...userChrome.css is so simple...changing icon packs and menu folders is also really easy...it uses my gtk-2.0 perfectly...all of my colors match the rest of my OS theme...I have the Ubuntu Forums extension...StumbleUpon...gmail skins.....grease monkey....stylish....View Source Chart....web developer tool bar...FireFTP...Gspace....del.icio.us....media player connectivity....the NBA scores...down them all...Fasterfox....gmail checker...measure it...Forecastfox enhanced....tab mix plus...cute menus....mr. local install...scrap book...and an easy to use search box with 18 different search engines...plus...having Adblock Plus with the Filterset makes using Firefox more of a pleasure than Opera.

hanzomon4
June 14th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Opera is good and I use it in Sabayon, but the streaming media issue is a showstopper for me. I've been using the beta Netscape and it's pretty nice, even though it's just a firefox clone. It can use the extensions, themes, media plugins. and if you use netscape services it integrates well. I loved Opera on windows, they just need to fix streaming media on linux and I'm sold(I would still use firefox or Netscape).

And yes a forum can make a product a better draw, Ubuntuforums.org???

FuturePilot
June 15th, 2007, 12:58 AM
but they still look so boring with all of the gray menus.
So then there really is no way to get rid of those ugly gray menus?:(

I've actually found Opera slower than Firefox when it comes to page rendering. Opera would take twice as long as Firefox to load the same page.

LightB
June 15th, 2007, 01:11 AM
Indeed it is beta, it's pretty upstart. It doesn't even have good smooth scrolling. How can anyone read pages like that!!!?? :)