PDA

View Full Version : Using Linux with ISPs in France

userundefine
June 14th, 2007, 08:37 AM
A question to people who live in France and use Linux... does your ISP make you have Windows in order to set up your account? Regardless of ISP... Neuf, France Télécom, whatever. I'll be moving to France in the fall and my laptop only runs Linux and I'd prefer to keep it that way if I can talk my way out. ADSL home connections I've used before in France (not sure of ISP) on Windows had a little box that popped up when I tried to open Firefox to connect to the net. I'm looking around a neuf's site now.

Thanks.

userundefine
June 14th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Ahhh here's the first answer. Lookin' good.

Quels sont les systèmes d'exploitation compatibles ?

Microsoft Windows 98 SE, Millenium, 2000, XP, Mac OS 9 et X et Linux (compatible mais non supporté par Neuf). Microsoft Windows Vista sera prochainement supporté.

Dans le cas d'un Macintosh et Linux, il est nécessaire de disposer d'un port Ethernet pour le raccorder à la Neuf Box.

Strange that I'd need an ethernet port for it though since they also say that have Wifi built in to some modems. I'd hope that's available for Linux too (but non supporté of course).

frodon
June 14th, 2007, 11:02 AM
In most of the cases you won't have any problems, most of the ADSL modems connects themselves to the network so you just have to plug-in your ethernet cable and let the dhcp do the rest ;)

Even if most of the ADSL modems have embedded wifi capabilities it is not activated by default so you need at least once a ethernet cable to go on the ISP site and set the modem configuration to use the wifi.
If you want some advices on the ISP choice just ask and i will guide you and provide you the advantages and disadvantages of each ISP i know.