PDA

View Full Version : Ways to hasten Linux's acceptence

phrostbyte
June 13th, 2007, 11:26 PM
I for one am sick of seeing Windows machines everywhere I go, especially considering how far Linux (and specifically Ubuntu Linux) has come. Seriously, I have a feeling that eventually Linux will overtake Windows but how long will it take? Will I live to see it? What are different things we can do to make a difference?

sebast
June 13th, 2007, 11:31 PM
IMHO there is a lot you can do. Possibilities are endless.

Talk about it, teach it, make videos, start a Linux promoting business, make it better, donate, start a promotion site like spreadfirefox, write to companies ...

DoctorMO
June 13th, 2007, 11:32 PM
We have no adverts as a community; we need the human advert idea where we set up a site with downloadable materials for making banners and plackards then while your on the train to work, or driving or what have you you display your placard (train, foot), banner (car) or trailer (cycle) to everyone else going to work too.

Enough people and the advertising message would get though, you just need to centralise the message so you don't end up with different designs or tag lines etc.

Will someone from this amazing society set that up? I don't know.

some_random_noob
June 13th, 2007, 11:32 PM
What are different things we can do to make a difference?

- Enjoy using it yourself.
- Recommend it to friends & family.
- boycott MS software and companies that only support Windows.
- help the community (there's heaps of documentation regarding helping out)
- donate to ubuntu

... I support your view by the way. Bear in mind that Linux adoption will take time, but yes you can help out a little bit to speed things up. Its still a boring process...

IMHO there is a lot you can do. Possibilities are endless.

Talk about it, teach it, make videos, start a Linux promoting business, make it better, donate, start a promotion site like spreadfirefox, write to companies ...
Exactly what I'm talking about.

starcraft.man
June 14th, 2007, 01:14 AM
You know. I don't think we need to rush into the main stream. I am perfectly happy with how we are now, we get a steady stream of new folk trickling into the forums at a decent rate and we help them get set up and hopefully informed as to how to maintain their computer. If we rush/massively expand we may lose quality/outpace ourselves and that would be bad. I am content as is through the means we are doing now, feel free to spread more word but don't feel its a necessity. Ubuntu/Linux will come into its own.

james_2002uk
June 14th, 2007, 04:15 AM
Well I've read in several places that Linux (all Distros, I'm assuming this is in enterprise etc as well) is actually the number two operating system already! Linux is growing faster than everything else on servers and smart phones. I think once those guys operating the servers get who run the servers get the guys in the offices to use Linux, then its more likely that they'll use it at home (to avoid any microsoft induced un-interoperability).

Anyway with things like that foleo thing from palm and the way the phone industry is going, with increasingly sophisticated phones, Linux, if it becomes the dominant smart phone platform, may well become the number one OS! - There are predicted to be many more phones than computers in a few years time.

yatt
June 14th, 2007, 04:49 AM
Stop trying to convert people and make the OS better. People get annoyed when they think they are being converted, and by making Linux vastly superior it will be able to do the converting itself.

DeadSuperHero
June 14th, 2007, 04:53 AM
Stop trying to convert people and make the OS better. People get annoyed when they think they are being converted, and by making Linux vastly superior it will be able to do the converting itself.

But, if you make a superior OS, people are going to have to know about it.
So, leave the development to the community, and to Linux teams.
And you can do all the converting you want.
What's the point of aiming for a superior OS, if no one knows about it? It not only helps Linux in the end, it also helps it grow more.

jusmurph
June 14th, 2007, 04:59 AM
When you push, they pull.

You need to rather invite them at let them come on there own accord.

DeadSuperHero
June 14th, 2007, 05:03 AM
In any case, it'll grow bigger. Heck, I mean look at it! It's probably had the fastest growth spurt among OS's.

knaveman
June 14th, 2007, 07:22 AM
I like Linux plenty, but I don't think I will ever overtake Windows or Apple. This system is not meant for the average user, it is too picky and technical. Apple is for people who know absolutely nothing about computers and don't want to. Windows is for people with more patience and apparently hair. Linux is for the more technically enlightened or technical snob. I like Linux a lot, I keep coming back to it. I also keep leaving it for Windows.

Just my view point and opinion. Rip away.