PDA

View Full Version : GUI Desktop on Server 7.04

tamays
June 13th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Although I hate to repeat myself (I just posted this message in the Beginners Section) here goes... I installing Ubuntu Server 7.04, and with a little trouble I was able downloading and installing the Desktop. Once the installation was complete (little over an hour) I rebooted the server only to find my old friend, the command prompt. I asked myself, did I miss something? Is there a command or script I need to run? regrettably myself didn't have a clue. I turned to my books only to find that all the books I have, and all the web pages I have read assume I have the desktop up and running. So, a little hint would be nice, a complete answer would be great... Any help is welcome.

Thanks, Tom. ;)

maniacmusician
June 13th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Although I hate to repeat myself (I just posted this message in the Beginners Section) here goes... I installing Ubuntu Server 7.04, and with a little trouble I was able downloading and installing the Desktop. Once the installation was complete (little over an hour) I rebooted the server only to find my old friend, the command prompt. I asked myself, did I miss something? Is there a command or script I need to run? regrettably myself didn't have a clue. I turned to my books only to find that all the books I have, and all the web pages I have read assume I have the desktop up and running. So, a little hint would be nice, a complete answer would be great... Any help is welcome.

Thanks, Tom. ;)
The server is headless; no GUI

edit: oh, you already installed the gui. you have to install the xorg packages. there's xserver-xorg, and maybe a couple of others.

zvacet
June 13th, 2007, 09:24 PM
If you installed desktop with this

sudo aptitude install ubuntu-desktop

and it is still seams like it is not there

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

az
June 13th, 2007, 09:53 PM

Thanks, Tom. ;)

The server kernel is not ideal for a desktop. That may cause some problems. As well, you may not have completed the installation of all the packaged (for some reason, I dunno)

run

sudo apt-get install linux-generic

and then
sudo apt-get -f install

and it should work fine.