PDA

View Full Version : Web OS

M$LOL
June 13th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Look at this, it's an opensource web-based OS called eyeOS. http://www.eyeos.info

What do you guys think?

MOS95B
June 13th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Neat idea. Very limited use for me, though, as I can't imagine basically having my computer stored on someone else's systems.

I imagine it would be convenient, though for someone who travelled a lot. But, that's why they make notebooks, ain't it??

maniacmusician
June 13th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Look at this, it's an opensource web-based OS called eyeOS. http://www.eyeos.info

What do you guys think?
kind of neat I guess. There are probably too many privacy concerns involved for people to use it regularly.

maniacmusician
June 13th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Neat idea. Very limited use for me, though, as I can't imagine basically having my computer stored on someone else's systems.

I imagine it would be convenient, though for someone who travelled a lot. But, that's why they make notebooks, ain't it??

kind of neat I guess. There are probably too many privacy concerns involved for people to use it regularly.

well, after making my silly statement and looked around the website a little more...under the download section, they provide you with all the files necessary to install it on your own server. So if you want, you can run this off of your own webserver, which eliminates the security issues.

M$LOL
June 13th, 2007, 09:17 PM
You can DL it and install it on your own webserver if you want privacy. I'm gonna use it for stuff I need to access anywhere, plus I might find some more uses for it.

RAV TUX
June 13th, 2007, 11:57 PM
Interesting, it needs more apps, are there extensions for it? is it Open source?

I look forward to the one coming out by the Firefox Devs

haricharan
June 14th, 2007, 12:06 AM
awesome.....looks great....can't ubuntu be made web OS ;)

haricharan
June 14th, 2007, 12:12 AM
is it Open source?

Yes it says open source....

hanzomon4
June 14th, 2007, 12:27 AM
You can DL it and install it on your own webserver if you want privacy. I'm gonna use it for stuff I need to access anywhere, plus I might find some more uses for it.

With that said this actually looks useful.

RAV TUX
June 14th, 2007, 12:31 AM
The Prince of Persia game is cool but my guy died almost immediately....nice 10 second break ;)

SoulinEther
June 14th, 2007, 12:55 AM
That's pretty neat, and it shows what you can do with AJAX + PHP + MySQL (web 2.0, I guess).

Old Pink
June 14th, 2007, 01:04 AM
Wubuntu: http://wubuntu.weejewel.net/

"Web Ubuntu"

Doesn't have the same functionality, I think he's just trying to build some Ubuntu looks in HTML. But this reminded me of wubuntu. :)

Wubuntu has firefox, at least :)

SoulinEther
June 14th, 2007, 01:08 AM
Running it on my server right now. Firefox fullscreen mode. The web browser just displays an AJAX/CSS frame which browses the web using your web browser's rendering engine.

All in all it's pretty neat, and the whole thing is only about a megabyte or two. I think the most interesting test would be on the iPhone, the Neo1973, a PSP, or any net tablet (like Nokia's), as this could give it something neat to use to turn it into a "PC".

Handles very well, fast interface. But of course it has no sound and such.

reyfer
June 14th, 2007, 01:12 AM
Looks interesting, but.... I already have issues about other people snooping on my stuff on my own computer, why would I use an operating system that's not even on my physical drive, and therefore I have no REAL control over who can access it?

khanhlnq
June 14th, 2007, 01:14 AM
So what do you think about this eXo Enterprise WebOS (http://www.exoplatform.com/company/faces/public/site) with all nice enterprise applications and great effects ?;)

maniacmusician
June 14th, 2007, 01:18 AM
Running it on my server right now. Firefox fullscreen mode. The web browser just displays an AJAX/CSS frame which browses the web using your web browser's rendering engine.

All in all it's pretty neat, and the whole thing is only about a megabyte or two. I think the most interesting test would be on the iPhone, the Neo1973, a PSP, or any net tablet (like Nokia's), as this could give it something neat to use to turn it into a "PC".

Handles very well, fast interface. But of course it has no sound and such.
yeah it does, actually. I got sound while playing the prince of persia game.

Compucore
June 14th, 2007, 01:38 AM
The only place that I can see this happening is in the workplace where they want it uniform across the board for everyone. I have seen so many times people trying to integrate a refular desktop and have citrix running for specific things. Or using older computers and make them citrix boxes and run them off of a server that is configured for X amount of people. With the exception of programming in certain circles and exceptions where you may need a server that is running a windows based and you want to use that as for a testing bed for specialized in house programming where you don't really care if it goesberzerk on you. You only need to reset the machine apo request... I have seen that done at certain aerospace industries.

Compucore

init1
June 14th, 2007, 05:47 PM
awesome.....looks great....can't ubuntu be made web OS ;)
Actually, yes, there is something called NX, which Desktop on Demand and Cosmopod use, which would allow you to connect to a x server and use ubuntu from any computer with Java. The technology is available, all that is left is for some one to set it up.