PDA

View Full Version : Canonical/Ubuntu cycling team

lamalex
June 13th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Think canonical (w/sh)ould sponsor a cycling team? Or the community council? I think it's an awesome idea. /me volunteers to be on the team. Imagine a team of cyclists in Ubuntu Jerseys, sporting that sexy brown. It's a beautiful thing, come on Canonical! We need you! Dispel the Linux-users-are-dorks-and-never-go-outside myth!

starcraft.man
June 13th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Uh... I don't bike >.>.

As for the team you mean a professional one? For doing competitions? Or what if not that?

lamalex
June 13th, 2007, 02:38 PM
yes as in professional/amateur racing. There are tons of pro/am races all over the world that 1000s of people attend, an Ubuntu team would be awesome!

starcraft.man
June 13th, 2007, 02:42 PM
yes as in professional/amateur racing. There are tons of pro/am races all over the world that 1000s of people attend, an Ubuntu team would be awesome!

Well sounds like a good idea. I know we even have one near us in Montreal every year called "Tour de l'Īle". Man there are way too many bikers on the roads that day. Anyway, if ya can find people with time and effort to do it maybe ya should gather em together and send a letter to Canonical/Shuttleworth and see what they think.

capecove
June 13th, 2007, 02:46 PM
That would be excellent! I would be happy to throw a few bucks at something like that. Get your Ubuntu out there! ;)

jedijf
June 13th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Dell / Ubuntu sponsorship would be a great way to promote both actively and drive sales.

lamalex
June 13th, 2007, 03:19 PM
awesome! OK, cyclists, where are you? Lets race! Seriously, if 4 people can make it to Philly Area by July 7th we can have our first race, maybe if we do ok canonical will sponsor us.

3rdalbum
June 13th, 2007, 04:07 PM
By all means, do this for fun and fitness; but sports sponsorship is a completely ineffective form of advertising so please don't sink any serious money into it.

If you get it up and running please post some pictures!

lamalex
June 13th, 2007, 04:10 PM
By all means, do this for fun and fitness; but sports sponsorship is a completely ineffective form of advertising so please don't sink any serious money into it.

If you get it up and running please post some pictures!

lucky for me I have no serious money to sink into anything! Really I just want to do it for fun, and because I want an Ubuntu cycling jersey. The publicity and such is an added bonus.

lukecaputo
July 6th, 2008, 08:21 PM
i agree with you.. message me, email me, whatever... get ahold of me so we can get Ubuntu on board with this idea.

chucky chuckaluck
July 6th, 2008, 09:41 PM
do it in the woods if you're going to do this, please.

urukrama
July 6th, 2008, 09:44 PM
do it in the woods if you're going to do this, please.

:D

Reminds me of that linux race car campaign.

lukecaputo
July 7th, 2008, 01:20 AM
in the woods? eh.. i just got back from a 5 day backpacking trip in the woods, the roads are much nicer.

sgarman
September 18th, 2008, 02:40 PM
lucky for me I have no serious money to sink into anything! Really I just want to do it for fun, and because I want an Ubuntu cycling jersey. The publicity and such is an added bonus.

Personally I love the idea of an Ubuntu cycling jersey, and I would wear one. Some of the folks on BikeForums.net have made limited-quantity custom runs of cycling jerseys, so if we can get enough interest for a decent sized order (10-20 jerseys), it can be done.

Scott

robbie d
August 18th, 2009, 03:01 AM
i've been contributing to this one:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=642596

Dr. C
August 18th, 2009, 06:16 AM
An Ububtu team winning Le maillot jaune in the Tour de France. Now that would be something.

slakkie
August 18th, 2009, 06:26 AM
Think canonical (w/sh)ould sponsor a cycling team? Or the community council? I think it's an awesome idea. /me volunteers to be on the team. Imagine a team of cyclists in Ubuntu Jerseys, sporting that sexy brown. It's a beautiful thing, come on Canonical! We need you! Dispel the Linux-users-are-dorks-and-never-go-outside myth!

No, cycling is just another word for drugs. Tour du Dope, nuff said.

robbie d
August 18th, 2009, 06:47 AM
Ahh Slakkie, where would we be without a naysayer. Thanks for joining in. I'm looking for the artist behind the attached work.

slakkie
August 18th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Well, if German TV stations boycott the TdF because of drug use, then.. Well, let's say I can understand the boycott and I would not like to see Ubuntu put its name somewhere where you can almost know for sure dope will be used. If they would sponsor another sport, fine with me, but cycling? Nah...

robbie d
August 18th, 2009, 07:42 AM
out of the 170+ riders in the TDF I doubt there would be more than a handful cheating. It seems a bit extreme for German tv to boycott the whole event. Every olympic games is the same. If the olympics happened every year, would they boycott that too?

Aaaanyway, anyone else have some input on jerseys/artwork?

gn2
August 18th, 2009, 09:11 AM
AG2R La Mondiale already race in brown, just buy some space on their jersey for an Ubuntu logo.

Swagman
August 18th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Just buy Ubuntu T-shirts a size too small for you all !!

We are going to run the London Marathon in Ubuntu apparel

The Toxic Mite
August 18th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Just buy Ubuntu T-shirts a size too small for you all !!

We are going to run the London Marathon in Ubuntu apparel

Haha!!! I would love to do that! :mrgreen:

bapoumba
August 18th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Although this is an older thread, I think it can stay alive. If the information is outdated, please start a new one and PM me with the link. I'll close and redirect this one to the new thread, thanks :)

robbie d
August 18th, 2009, 11:22 PM
bapoumba,
The only other thread with this discussion is this one
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=642596
cheers :)

bapoumba
August 19th, 2009, 06:15 AM
I'm not sure a merge would be good. I'm closing here and please use the thread linked above to continue the discussion. Cheers :)