PDA

View Full Version : I have ordered Shipit disks before

LightB
June 13th, 2007, 12:27 PM
So I have received Ubuntu disks when I submitted for some once, and they came in a padded package. That has to add to cost no? Couldn't things be done more cheaply?

For those of you in the US (or even some of you in other places, I don't know), you know that junk mail from AOL you receive in the form of installation CDs? Those things are unbreakable and they come in nothing but paper and a little shrink wrap. Tell me if I'm way off here but wouldn't something similar to these materials be used for good instead of spam in the way of the Ubuntu CDs that are sent out?

brim4brim
June 13th, 2007, 12:52 PM
I've received them and they came in padded envelope. Its because Ubuntu is classier than AOL.

Shipit is an important part of Ubuntu and the reason I choose it as I was on 56K at the time so my only other alternative was buying an commercial distro in a store and I was a student at the time so that wasn't really an option either.

LightB
June 13th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Oh I'm not saying Ubuntu should become like AOL, I'm saying that if AOL can afford to throw all this trash out there on massive numbers, is it because they're just that rich and stupid, or is it cost effective?

My point is that cutting costs would probably help the project, maybe more CDs would get out there and faster? Or maybe I don't know what I'm talking about and it's already as cheap as it can be given the resources the project has available? I don't know.

Mazza558
June 13th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Oh I'm not saying Ubuntu should become like AOL, I'm saying that if AOL can afford to throw all this trash out there on massive numbers, is it because they're just that rich and stupid, or is it cost effective?

My point is that cutting costs would probably help the project, maybe more CDs would get out there and faster? Or maybe I don't know what I'm talking about and it's already as cheap as it can be given the resources the project has available? I don't know.

I think it would be a waste. People would just think it's a worthless freebie and into the bin it goes.

LightB
June 13th, 2007, 01:17 PM
No, I'm not saying they should send them in unrequested like junk mail. I'm only refering to the packaging, and probably also the packaging system.

Dragonbite
June 13th, 2007, 02:14 PM
I think I understand what you are saying;

If AOL sends out all of these CDs in paper envelopes to be cheap, why can't ShipIt use paper envelopes to save costs?

One difference could be if the CDs are being sent from overseas then it may have to contend with rougher handling across borders than our own gentle-handed Postal Service.

That would be different if ShipIt had an operation inside the US (or Canada) where it would be handled 100% by a North American postal service where a certain level of quality of handling is assumed. I am not sure if there is sufficient North American (US/Canda) request to warrant such a location yet.

por100pre1
June 13th, 2007, 03:43 PM
I think the best way to lower costs is that only users who really need those disks actually order them. I know many cases of users with fast and cheap connections getting them just for taking them some pictures for their blogs.

Dragonbite
June 13th, 2007, 03:52 PM
I think the best way to lower costs is that only users who really need those disks actually order them. I know many cases of users with fast and cheap connections getting them just for taking them some pictures for their blogs.On the other hand the professional looking packaging helps people to actually consider trying it out if they are handed it rather than a CD-R burned with "Ubuntu" written in a sharpie marker along the top.

smoker
June 13th, 2007, 03:59 PM
i'm sure shipit, having been doing this for years now, knows what is the best and most economical way to send the disks through the post. not all postal services treat mail as they should!:-)

LightB
June 14th, 2007, 12:43 AM
Well I suppose so. But have you really seen those AOL disks? They are unbreakable (with your bare hands at least, that's quite something). I'm afraid I didn't try it with any Ubuntu CDs but I suspect they are very breakable. I guess AOL gets some kind of super plastic really cheap, who knows.

SoulinEther
June 14th, 2007, 12:49 AM
Dunno. Like smoker said, ShipIt probably knows what they're doing. If they send a disk and it breaks, they'll have to resend it, after all. I guess they found this method with padding to be cheaper in the long run.

Chuq
June 14th, 2007, 12:56 AM
Shipit sends CDs internationally, whereas AOL would have various national distribution centres. I'm sure glad the CDs I received were in a padded bag or else who knows what state they would have arrived in!