PDA

View Full Version : How fast do you type with the CLI?

Linux Killer!
June 13th, 2007, 05:42 AM
Are you a speed-demon who can build a new kernel from the ground-up without blinking?

Or are you a slow and steady sort who makes sure of everything they type before pressing enter?

I ask because people like using the CLI, but everyone has different styles. I'd like to think I'm pretty efficient, which basically means I type fast, but this also means I screw up often. You really have to have a clear head to be fast AND effective with the CLI, and it's not rare for me to trip over myself, run rf * in the wrong directory and so on.

Vote already!

WalmartSniperLX
June 13th, 2007, 05:48 AM
Well at first I was fast and made a lot of mistakes. Now I hardly ever make any mistakes. Im just a fast typer. However if I find myself doing commands I don't use on a every day basis, then I may have to hit the backspace here and there.

Spr0k3t
June 13th, 2007, 05:52 AM
I'm decent on the terminal. I could be much faster but since the move to complete dvorak I'm still learning some of the critical strokes. Type something out in standard wording and I can pound through at 68WPM... I'm almost up to my qwerty score.

Linux Killer!
June 13th, 2007, 05:57 AM
I'm decent on the terminal. I could be much faster but since the move to complete dvorak I'm still learning some of the critical strokes. Type something out in standard wording and I can pound through at 68WPM... I'm almost up to my qwerty score.
offtopic

Isn't dvorak a bit of a sham? I've heard there are no studies which say with any conclusive outcome that dvorak is more effective than qwerty, speed wise at least. It seems the only two advantages people have noted is that you get extra geek-cred for mastering it, and that it's slightly more ergonomic than qwerty layouts.

/offtopic

steven8
June 13th, 2007, 06:10 AM
see? aww, you missed it.

Nikron
June 13th, 2007, 06:28 AM
It's not like you have to type much in CLI, tab completetion lets you complete most things about 1/2

some_random_noob
June 13th, 2007, 06:28 AM
Fast and ineffective - I type too fast for my own good.

Kingsley
June 13th, 2007, 06:43 AM
I'm a bit sketchy on this new laptop but I'm lightning on my desktop. And tabbing does help a ton.

kuja
June 13th, 2007, 06:45 AM
I type fast. I type hard. I feel sorry for my keyboards.

Spr0k3t
June 13th, 2007, 06:54 AM
offtopic

Isn't dvorak a bit of a sham? I've heard there are no studies which say with any conclusive outcome that dvorak is more effective than qwerty, speed wise at least. It seems the only two advantages people have noted is that you get extra geek-cred for mastering it, and that it's slightly more ergonomic than qwerty layouts.

/offtopic

People say it's a bit of a sham... I haven't been able to match my speed in qwerty just yet, however the problems I've had with my wrists hurting due to carple-tunnel is nowhere near as bad with dvorak. The strokes for common words are much easier on the hands. That by itself is enough for me to support dvorak over qwerty. I believe in time I will pass my typing speed in qwerty though. I average 84WPM in qwerty and can pound out damn near 100WPM if I'm focused. I started using dvorak only three months ago and I'm almost up to 70WPM. I'm also teaching my kids the dvorak layout instead of the qwerty layout. Once they have mastered up to 25WPM+ I'll start them on qwerty. My oldest is almost there, he's 13.

reclusivemonkey
June 13th, 2007, 12:33 PM
It's not like you have to type much in CLI, tab completetion lets you complete most things about 1/2

So true! Where is the "I tab more than type" option?! =]

forrestcupp
June 13th, 2007, 02:13 PM
I only type letters, emails, and forum posts. I use my mouse and GUI for everything else possible.