PDA

View Full Version : Dell Ubuntu laptop photos

D00mM4r1n3
June 13th, 2007, 04:58 AM
Got my Dell Ubuntu laptop today, and took a couple of photos. Everything went smooth except for a minor wireless networking issue, and the video driver problem that others have already mentioned. The networking problem was due to the network utility in System > Administration. It didn't see my network or allow for WPA encryption settings. After a quick search online I found some info saying to use the Network Manager tool, which I didn't realize was the icon in the menu bar that had 2 computer screens. Once I opened that, connecting to my wireless network was a breeze. The video problem was solved by installing the xserver-xorg-video-intel driver through the package manager.

If there is one great thing I would say about the laptop, it's that so far I have not had to open a terminal once to get anything working/installed. Everyhting (almost) just works, and the 2 things that didn't were just user confusion (network issue) or corrected with a GUI tool (video driver).

I took all of the photos with a Kodak V530 digital camera (5MP), but didn't use a tripod or proper light source so they're not the best. I took the memory card out of the camera, plugged it into the memory card slot on the right side of the laptop, and a photo viewer popped open and offered to import them. It worked flawlessly, and was a welcome surprise. The last time I tried Ubuntu I had problems with USB memory sticks and memory cards, but haven't had a single problem with either this go around.

I put all of the photos in a photo set on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pjarvi/sets/72157600346728042/

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1109/543429781_7cdcbc36b1.jpg?v=0 http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1255/543446977_8452b815b0.jpg?v=0

starcraft.man
June 13th, 2007, 05:15 AM
Looks great. Have fun with your new Ubuntu computer. I unfortunately couldn't get Ubuntu on my new order in Canada and had to pay for a stupid copy of Vista *shudders*. It will feel my vengeful drive wipe when it arrives. :p

tehkain
June 13th, 2007, 05:18 AM
Hows the case quality? That is the only reason I am considering the Macs. I just wont buy one.

Is it sturdy? how weaks the plastic?

D00mM4r1n3
June 13th, 2007, 05:42 AM
The case feels sturdy to me, but that's probably due to the thickness of it. This isn't something I would want to use on my lap though, it's a bit heavy. I deal with a lot of Latitudes at work, and find the case of this system to be better. The Latitude have very thin material that flexes and breaks easily, this thing feels like it could take a drop.

H.E. Pennypacker
June 13th, 2007, 07:04 AM
Looks made nice. I'd like one. Love the metalic look.

dasunst3r
June 13th, 2007, 07:13 AM
I have a Dell Inspiron e1505 from before they offered preinstalled Feisty, and I can say that the build quality beats Gateway and eMachines big time. That is, it doesn't feel like it's ready to fall apart any second.

EdThaSlayer
June 13th, 2007, 08:24 AM
That laptop looks pretty sweet. Guess I will get one like that in a year or two.

brim4brim
June 13th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Latitudes must be weaker else where because I have a D810 and have been knocked off my bike with it in my bag on my back and not a bother on it.

My Latitude has a metal case but it is plastic when you open it so that it isn't really cold in the morning and doesn't burn up after running for a while.

All this bad Dell build quality is utter nonsense as far as I'm concerned. There are bad models for all manufacturers, that's why you do your homework.

xthund3rh3adx
June 13th, 2007, 04:43 PM
proud owner myself!

happy-and-lost
June 13th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Looks like my I6000, which has taken a few trips to the floor. Only some minor rattles. Have fun :D

D00mM4r1n3
June 13th, 2007, 07:29 PM
The D810's are beasts, but the D610's, and D600's I see come through here usually have cracked corners. The build quality is perfectly fine for anyone that takes care of there system, and I've been noticing a continuing improvement in the quality of each new model. In my case, I think it's just that the systems I see are used by our remote service and sales people, so they take heavy abuse. With the exception of the Optiplex GX2xx series of desktop computers, I have no problem recommending a Dell to anyone. I've handled several hundred systems over the last 2 years and find them to be well built. I don't necessarily like some of their choices in parts/vendors, but i've never had a problem with getting things repaired under warranty, and although it would be best if everyone built and repaired their own machines, that isn't likely to happen anytime soon. Better to point someone towards a company that makes a decent product and has a good warranty.