PDA

View Full Version : M$ versus Linux

capecove
June 12th, 2007, 10:52 PM
So, I have edited this post to reflect the fact that I just read http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=471387. I regret using the M$ and will correct my ways. I hope others will do so as well.

Have a great day...

So, this is of a general nature and is quite possibly going to cause an issue but hope that we can instead just stick with the facts...

What of all this talk about Microsoft and their patent infringements of Linux discussion? To be honest, when I read about it that was my cue to get serious about Linux. Do we have any real reasons to be concerned about this?

Thanks for the discussion...

yabbadabbadont
June 12th, 2007, 10:58 PM
You probably should have started this thread in the Cafe since it isn't a support question.

Bad capecove. Bad capecove. No soup for you! :D

(You should probably report your thread and ask a mod to move it)

Now for an on-topic response: No, I don't think that we have anything to worry about in this case. If Microsoft really tried to start bashing distributions over the head with its patent portfolio, IBM would bring them a world of hurt with their portfolio. (which is one of the biggest in the world)

mijj
June 12th, 2007, 11:14 PM
the whole thing's a pr stunt by MS ... the intent is to maintain an underlying uncertainty about Linux.

Just in case ppl are pissed off by the directon MS is heading, MS doesnt want Linux to be seen as a viable alternative by the masses. (Not that they need to worry - as long as the average user needs to use the terminal and needs to hack config files Linux wont catch on).

capecove
June 12th, 2007, 11:45 PM
You probably should have started this thread in the Cafe since it isn't a support question.

Bad capecove. Bad capecove. No soup for you! :D

(You should probably report your thread and ask a mod to move it)

Now for an on-topic response: No, I don't think that we have anything to worry about in this case. If Microsoft really tried to start bashing distributions over the head with its patent portfolio, IBM would bring them a world of hurt with their portfolio. (which is one of the biggest in the world)

Oh my, too true. Sorry. I am such a freak that I have totally denied there could be any other forum than the one I am in. Believe it or not, I spend all my time in 64 bit land. That way, I am properly brainwashed... ;)

If you have the power to move this to its proper place, feel free to do so. Thanks for the heads up. :)

capecove
June 12th, 2007, 11:56 PM
And I did report it, hopefully it will get moved. Sorry if this bothered anybody. :)

yabbadabbadont
June 12th, 2007, 11:59 PM
And I did report it, hopefully it will get moved. Sorry if this bothered anybody. :)

OK, maybe there will be soup for you after all. :lol:

I doubt very much that anyone was bothered by it being misplaced. It happens all the time. If it does end up getting moved to the Cafe, perhaps it will generate more interest than it has received (so far) here.

capecove
June 13th, 2007, 12:20 AM
Any chance it will actually be stew? ;)

Thanks again...