PDA

View Full Version : ready "out of the box" distro?

snoopgst
July 7th, 2005, 10:59 PM
from a little research I learned that ubuntu is one of the best "free" distros. I have a friend that wants to try linux but is not very computer savy. I am looking for a distro that is more out of the box ready (more drivers, better plug & play capability, etc) He dosn't care if the right distro for him requires a license key $$ (paying for it) any recommendations?

thanks

manicka
July 7th, 2005, 11:10 PM
SuSE was always fairly easy to set up for me. Yast is a powerful tool for newbies and their support forums (www.suseforums.net, forums.suselinuxsupport.de) are very good. A nice way to start and get used to Linux before moving to Ubuntu ;)

I wouldn't recommend some of the transition versions of Linux that attempt to look like windows as much as they can. What's the point

snoopgst
July 7th, 2005, 11:23 PM
what about the new red hat 4?

Kvark
July 8th, 2005, 01:01 AM
Ubuntu is very easy to use. But to solve problems you will have to resort to the command terminal. If a somewhat experienced friend can help solve problems that arise then the rest will be a piece of cake for your friend.

aysiu
July 8th, 2005, 01:18 AM
How about Xandros or Linspire?

snoopgst
July 8th, 2005, 01:31 AM
does suse have something similar to ubuntus package manager? (search for an app and install via the package manager)

manicka
July 8th, 2005, 01:32 AM
http://www.tuxfiles.org/antihelp/linux-xp.html ;)

manicka
July 8th, 2005, 02:18 AM
does suse have something similar to ubuntus package manager? (search for an app and install via the package manager)

SuSE has Yast to manage packages and it does a wonderful job. You can also use an rpm version of Synaptic with SuSE or just apt itself. Red Carpet is another package manager that SuSE can use.

All round though Yast does a great job for beginners.

KiwiNZ
July 8th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Suse 9.3 , Mandriva 2005 and Xandros are great for what you want.

Jason-X
July 8th, 2005, 11:24 AM
I've used quite a few distros over the years and Ubuntu is the easiest to use. Nothing can beat the package management of Ubuntu. It's just so easy.

Debian use the same package management but will never keep up with Ubuntu on new releases.

Just my opinion :)

ozzie123
July 8th, 2005, 01:31 PM
I agree with Jason-X

I have tried Linspire (when it's still Lindows) and Xandros and they both crashed alot (in Linux standard that is).

So it's safer to go with SuSe or Ubuntu

somuchfortheafter
July 8th, 2005, 01:49 PM
hmm be a bastard and give him gentoo for a week... scare the hell out of him then come back a week later and be like o just kidding man linux is simple here is ubuntu.. by then your friend will have fundamental linux skills and with that he will feel more confident in a cli enviroment.

poofyhairguy
July 8th, 2005, 06:57 PM
I have a friend that wants to try linux but is not very computer savy. I am looking for a distro that is more out of the box ready (more drivers, better plug & play capability, etc)

Well...drivers are drivers. What Ubuntu lacks another Linux won't magically have (unless it uses a newer kernel or something). Things like wireless cards that need ndiswrapper, the best Linux can do it make it easier to do.

I think the easiest is SUSE.

But the sacrifices Ubuntu makes for ease are worth it for me...