PDA

View Full Version : My New Dell Laptop

kris kincaid
June 12th, 2007, 04:15 AM
I just received my new E1505N laptop with Feisty preinstalled. It took about 10 days from ordering it to having it in my hands. The only options I ordered were the 9 cell battery and Nvidia video card. It has just 512megs of ram.

The only issues I had were the nvidia drivers were not enabled and I couldn't get them to enable. I am pretty impatient, so I just used Envy and everything was cool. Also, there is minimum documentation, and no Linux documentation at all. It came with 2 drives(partitions maybe??) you can mount, one called "DellUtility" and the other "OS". I looked around them, but they appear to be full of Windows files. Anybody have any clue what they are? Maybe I'll install WINE and see what happens.

Overall, I am impressed! My desktop is a Pentium IV 2.4 with a gig of ram, but this Duo 1.73 will smoke it. It took 10 seconds to connect to my wireless network. You close it and it sleeps and all the special function keys work.

All in all I am happy and would do it again. :)

H.E. Pennypacker
June 12th, 2007, 05:35 AM
It came with 2 drives(partitions maybe??) you can mount, one called "DellUtility" and the other "OS". I looked around them, but they appear to be full of Windows files. Anybody have any clue what they are? Maybe I'll install WINE and see what happens.

Dell maintains two "hidden" partitions that both serve a purpose, better explained here:

http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/