PDA

View Full Version : Google Linux

nutz
June 11th, 2007, 11:20 PM
You know they are taking over the world but could you imagine them adopting a Linux distro to compete with MS? I think that would be pretty cool...

forrestcupp
June 11th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Well, even though they deny it, that has been the rumor for a while.

Hendrixski
June 11th, 2007, 11:23 PM
You do know that google has its own distribution that they use internally, which is a modified Ubuntu distro. There is no plan for them to release it, after all, it's not on the internet so it's not their core competency.

Hendrixski
June 11th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Oh yeah... besides, if they ever do release their own operating system it would be internet based. So you turn on your computer and it connects to the internet to boot all of it's programs and stuff.

reyfer
June 11th, 2007, 11:44 PM
Oh yeah... besides, if they ever do release their own operating system it would be internet based. So you turn on your computer and it connects to the internet to boot all of it's programs and stuff.

Something like YouOS? https://www.youos.com/

smoker
June 11th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Well, even though they deny it, that has been the rumor for a while.

i heard these rumours also, but nothing seems to materialise, they're maybe perfecting some juicy features deep in the google bunker to unleash when everyone least expects!:D

Adamant1988
June 11th, 2007, 11:47 PM
I would rather see google dedicating it's resources to creating web applications that function and are actually useful offline, that run just like desktop apps.

RAV TUX
June 11th, 2007, 11:48 PM
You know they are taking over the world but could you imagine them adopting a Linux distro to compete with MS? I think that would be pretty cool...

Nope won't happen, they are ahead of the game there also and are developing a virtual OS.

No need to develop a distro of any sort.

Adamant1988
June 11th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Nope won't happen, they are ahead of the game there also and are developing a virtual OS.

No need to develop a distro of any sort.

Do you have any documentation from Google reps or another reliable source that could explain what you mean by this while lending credibility to the claim?

wh0rd
June 12th, 2007, 12:29 AM
Google's got major privacy issues and Linux is very transparent OS. I don't think there will be coherence to that.

nutz
June 12th, 2007, 12:50 AM
Some very interesting points made.

Linux Killer!
June 12th, 2007, 01:24 AM
I don't particularly like the idea of a net-based operating system. The failure point is obviously the net connection, and if you've got a flaky connection or not enough bandwidth, it's going to be much more crappy experience than Linux could ever be.

Offline systems will be around for ages - the idea of a net OS is unrealistic. Now, applications on the net are possible, but the issue of having a reliable connection will still be there.

veerakumar
June 12th, 2007, 01:48 AM
Google has many OS in it's 1000's of servers.

Lord Illidan
June 12th, 2007, 01:53 AM
I don't particularly like the idea of a net-based operating system. The failure point is obviously the net connection, and if you've got a flaky connection or not enough bandwidth, it's going to be much more crappy experience than Linux could ever be.

Offline systems will be around for ages - the idea of a net OS is unrealistic. Now, applications on the net are possible, but the issue of having a reliable connection will still be there.

Unless our net connections get upgraded, yes then this seems rather unrealistic, considering that even high quality internet TV seems somewhat unrealistic with our present hardware and compression algorithms.

The good point of these, though is that you can log on to your system wherever there is a connection. (Still, we can do that by loading Linux into a USB stick :))

init1
June 12th, 2007, 01:57 AM
Something like YouOS? https://www.youos.com/
YouOS is great. I have an account. Some would argue that iGoogle is also a WebOS.

forrestcupp
June 12th, 2007, 02:32 AM
I think Google is about the only company in existence right now that could release a distro/OS that would directly challenge MS. If they actually did it, I'll bet MS would be nervous.

Aside from the OS, though, I think Google Apps really sucks.

RAV TUX
June 12th, 2007, 03:10 AM
Do you have any documentation from Google reps or another reliable source that could explain what you mean by this while lending credibility to the claim?I thought I read in the Linux Format magazine issue 93 June 2007....I will have to search for the article later.

I did pull it from memory, lets hope my memory is up to par...;)

RAV TUX
June 12th, 2007, 03:22 AM
I thought I read in the Linux Format magazine issue 93 June 2007....I will have to search for the article later.

I did pull it from memory, lets hope my memory is up to par...;)

Ok my memory did jumble things up a bit while Google is leading the initative of web based applications, the article was specifically about Adobe apps coming to Linux.

The sub-article on this page was about Firefox developer Blake Ross launching his web OS "Parakey" soon.

It also spoke of the Mandrive founder Gael Duvall releasing his Ulteo Platform an application system based within a browser. (as well as an installable Linux OS).

This movement is led by Google.

Interesting welcome article written by Nick Veitch titled: "Death of an OS".

My apologies about my apparent lapse of memory by the way, Google isn't making a web based OS, just leading the way for web based applications and Web based OS's like the one the Firefox dev is going to release soon.